• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

DOOM (Xbox One)

After 7,3 hours

Pros:

-everything

Negatives:

-Hm, it think nothing, maybe i saw textures pop-up 1-2 times
-loading screens... :(

Just pre ordered this on ps4 and I am hypeee.
Now I'm debating on how to spend the remaining $28 I have.
Pre-Order Blood and Wine or buy a game like Infamous:Second Son.

RyudBoy

PC version unlocks in the US in 30mins, yes?

Not sure if I want to play SP or MP first. I was a beast playing the latter in beta.

I can see shades of prioritizing enemy types and managing ammo ala classic Doom in the first couple levels. I like that the chainsaw is more of a hyper situational power weapon now that stock is so limited with it being able to recover a ton of ammo after a kill.

The rest of it flip flops between a surprising ferocity (seen in the intro and other fleeting cutscenes) and kinda dry progression. There's something that's not quite grabbing me despite how much I'm enjoying Mick Gordon's music. It's a little difficult to articulate, though it does feel like more of a slow start as far as demonic invasions go.

ymgve

Anyone found a way to reach the Loading Bay area in the second level?
I climbed some vertical crates and traversed a crane and reached an office, am I on the right track?

Xbudz

Holy fuck is this game ever optimized on PC.
What a joy to play.

I'm on a i7 4770, 16gb RAM, GTX 970 Mini.
Everything on ultra, 1080p locked 60.

My only gripe is that the controller doesn't vibrate when I shoot guns.

ymgve

Also, checkpointing seems a bit weird. I found a secret and weapon then died, and the game put me back to a place before I found them, but I still had them.

The positive feedback in this thread is making me hyped. I'm glad I went ahead and pre-ordered it last night. Excited to play this tomorrow after work.

So... anyone else watch the polygon video of Doom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

I don't think I've laughed this hard at gameplay footage in my entire life.

I typically roll my eyes at people who criticize anyone who's not a supreme master of a game as sucking at it, but.... yeesh. This guy isn't doing the game any favors.

What a joy to play.

I keep hearing that the game runs well and is well optimized, and Vulcan isnt even here yet. That's awesome.

So... anyone else watch the polygon video of Doom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

I don't think I've laughed this hard at gameplay footage in my entire life.

It was a brief topic of discussion when it was posted earlier. The comments were so bad that polygon disabled ratings and comments haha
They were fun to read while it was still open. I think every single post was about how the player had never used a controller before.

I could only watch 5 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Ecto311

The positive feedback in this thread is making me hyped. I'm glad I went ahead and pre-ordered it last night. Excited to play this tomorrow after work.

I typically roll my eyes at people who criticize anyone who's not a supreme master of a game as sucking at it, but.... yeesh. This guy isn't doing the game any favors.

I was thinking the same thing. Must be why they have the comments and thumbs up/down blocked.

What a joy to play.

On PS4 under controller there are 2 options that seem to make no difference. Vibration and aim assist. Toggling on or off does nothing for me.

JeTmAn81

I saw someone fighting a Cyberdemon on a stream. The visual design seems really uninspired. Why is it just a mass of gray?

Xbudz

Anyone else using an Xbox controller with the PC version having no vibration when firing a weapon?

Edit- for some reason it only effected me in E1M1.
Shit be vibrating now!!/

zeioIIDX

I was on the fence about getting this but this thread made me pre-order it earlier today. Damn it. Lol. It's funny because I was about 6 when the original Doom came out and I remember my dad buying it the day it came out at Egghead Software in Chicago and booting it up. I watched him play as I sat next to him on a bar stool. I damn near fell off my seat when the first Pinky Demon showed up, no lie. And now I'm 29 with a 7 year old and a new Doom is coming out in less than an hour. Of course I'm not going to let her watch me play it lmao...even though she loves scary stuff...but it's kind of surreal to think about.

I hope my GTX 770 can run it decently. Everyone else seems to have a Titan or a 970/980. Might have to go in on one of those 1070s soon though!

Onemic

Wow, some of the recurring secrets in the game is very cool. I wont give it away to those that havent played the game yet, but people that have played doom 1/2 will definitely appreciate it :)

Ur killing me GAF. Just started Uncharted now I'm about to preorder this.

Why can't I preorder this from Gamestop and pick it up in store. Shipping only. WTF

inm8num2

Sean Bean has the worst luck!

cQw883V.jpg

biteren

my friend called me to gloat he's getting the game at 9:00 at a gamestop and i gotta wait till tomorrow, that asshole lol

not much longer now...

Mask

This game, god damn! Doom is definitely back, the speed is amazing, the gibs flying everywhere as you zip through the hordes with the super shotgun, it's just pure fun so far.

Strangely, I keep getting memory errors on PC, almost like it's not using all 8gb of my memory, had to turn a few things down even though my GPU can more than handle them at 1080p, wonder why it's acting up?

Inviusx

Anyone ready to start guessing the final Metacritic score?

I'm guess that critics will be split between loving & hating it. I'm going to guess a final score of 83.

Anung

Un Rama
My only complaint right now (not much of one, really) is that the glory kills don't feel very impactful. They're just off somehow.

Doesn't bother me that much. I leave them turned on as they are a good way to get health back and also useful for taking a few second breather when things get hectic. Did turn off the garish highlight.

Onemic

Kill animations have gotten rather annoying at this point...and the part that bothers me the most is the need to rely on them for health. There is a small variety per enemy depending where you initiate the attack from...but they all end up looking almost the same and kind of getting in the way of you feeling like a real badass jumping around landing wicked shots.

No idea if it is the same guy appearance wise...but he does have similar armour?

Im beginning to realize that you actually dont need to rely on them. Enemies will tend to drop health when you're low on it regardless of whether you glory kill or not. As long as they're in the stunned animation and you kill them, they'll drop health/ammo. Maybe glory kills just make it so that enemies drop more? Im not sure yet.

Top Bottom