• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Justinian

I have 150 Mbps Internet and it took about an hour to download. This unpacking process will take me no longer than 15 minutes. I doubt very much you have the 500 Mbps Internet necessary to make your statement true.

Sigh... this game took me about 23 hours to download on shitty Australian internet and about 10 minutes to unpack. You don't know how good you guys have it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I have 150 Mbps Internet and it took about an hour to download. This unpacking process will take me no longer than 15 minutes. I doubt very much you have the 500 Mbps Internet necessary to make your statement true.

edit: UNPACKED, TIME TO BECOME RADIOACTIVE, THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!

I've got the same speed you do, and I'm at 20 minutes so far and about halfway done.

SZips

I've finally come to the realization that this decryption process renders the whole pre-load process pointless. I can probably download the whole file in the amount of time it takes to decrypt.

Yep. Steam's decryption on less than modern hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Even on SSDs with more recent CPUs it takes around 15 minutes. I'm sitting on a multi-year old 1TB HDD and an i5-2500k and decryption is just the worst thing.

Lgndryhr

Went to best buy to pick up a few things I ordered for in-store pickup and lady tried to give me my copy of Doom. System stopped her :-/
Oh well will pick my copy up tomorrow.

Nizz

Important question for me, how's the framerate on PS4 for those who've played it there? Is it as solid as the open beta was? Damn, I am broke (actually cancelled an Uncharted 4 pre-order) but these impressions of Doom really have me wanting the game.

FatalT

Banned
I'm tired of these day one patches. 5.427 GB to download on PS4. Uncharted 4 had about a 5 GB day one patch as well. Blarg!

Important question for me, how's the framerate on PS4 for those who've played it there? Is it as solid as the open beta was? Damn, I am broke (actually cancelled an Uncharted 4 pre-order) but these impressions of Doom really have me wanting the game.

No problems thus far.

dcelw540

I await DSP's playthrough.
b23ab87211a70f5f8a73a90cd3824e3c.jpg

But seriously he's not the worst out there. Some games he's good and kinda shitty at others.

Onemic

Yeah but is that too hard? I don't want to turn it into a hide behind cover shooter if things get too hard...

You wont be hiding behind cover. You'll just be moving around. A lot.

There is a ton of verticality in the game and ultra violence really makes you use it to your advantage.

The Vulcan demo is a good idea of how you'll be approaching fights in ultra violence.

ShutterMunster

I hate to be that guy, but any word on console differences? The Elite controller makes multi-plat purchases more difficult than they used to be 😂

bathsalts

Yeah but is that too hard? I don't want to turn it into a hide behind cover shooter if things get too hard...

Hiding in cover would make it even harder, just give yourself a bit of time to learn the enemy patterns maybe you'll eat a couple fireballs that seem cheap, buts it very rewarding being able to mix it up in close with monsters using creative movement to close gaps and work to the strength of the weapons.

These thread impressions....

is...

is id Software back!?
Id never left. Doom 3 was of divided opinion ( I loved it), but was a technical marvel in its day. Rage had a shit ending and a tacked on car mode, but was easily one of the best looking and playing shooters of last generation. Id is good.

gonna need a nerf on that chaingun. How could they possibly think thats ok. Its the new shotgun from the beta. Everyone is using it in matches

Id never left. Doom 3 was of divided opinion ( I loved it), but was a technical marvel in its day. Rage had a shit ending and a tacked on car mode, but was easily one of the best looking and playing shooters of last generation. Id is good.
Yeah you say that but then Doom 4 was in development hell for years and they very much threatened to shut down if it didn't go right.

Top Bottom