• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I was going to wait until reviews before deciding between this and Uncharted but this sounds like the winner from all the gaf impressions.

Does anyone know if I pick up a copy in Mexico City in the morning if it will be in English or Spanish?

Karak

I've finally come to the realization that this decryption process renders the whole pre-load process pointless. I can probably download the whole file in the amount of time it takes to decrypt.

LOL so fucking true. Its insane.

So, has anyone fought any Cyberdemons or Spider Masterminds yet? I am so curious if they are bosses or they are bosses that eventually get mixed in with the regular enemies.

Justinian

For those who have played it, I loved the AI and hit animations of enemies in Rage, how are those two things in DOOM?

Fantastic. The enemies can traverse the levels fluently just like you and the imps climb walls. The animation is what really sells it though. So smooth and convincing. Sometimes the imps will throw fireballs as they are running and diving and it's glorious. Hit reactions are some of the best I've seen too.

hlhbk

Add +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 to launch options.

Thanks!

Doom is the reason I got into PC gaming. It literally blew my mind and changed my life when I played it at the age of 12 in 1993. Without Doom I never would have became a PC gamer and never would have gotten into IT for a career. I have played the first 2 games countless number of times and used to write my own .wad files. I can't believe how much this game feels like the first 2! It's so great!

LowParry

Game has this really strange odd pacing of things. Quiet to THIS IS DOOM! pacing. Love the game though. Played only the first hour. I'm expecting many great things later :D

Tainted

Thanks!

Doom is the reason I got into PC gaming. It literally blew my mind and changed my life when I played it at the age of 12 in 1993. Without Doom I never would have became a PC gamer and never would have gotten into IT for a career. I have played the first 2 games countless number of times and used to write my own .wad files. I can't believe how much this game feels like the first 2! It's so great!

Interested to hear you elaborate on this a bit more as to why as I come from a similar background and i'm around 5yrs older than you. Doom 1 and 2 have the same place in my heart and I still play them today via zDoom / gzDoom

Schnozberry

Thanks!

Lack of regenerating health will turn a lot of people off, but I think it makes the game feels so much more intense. It definitely requires you to be more of a marksman. Shotgun feels less satisfying than I wanted it to out of the gate, though. Hopefully after some upgrades it gets better.

Tahnit

Banned
wow. guys...they did it. They made a new doom that feels like the old games. Its fast..frantic, hard. secrets. red keys..its perfect. Im so fucking happy!

hlhbk

Interested to hear you elaborate on this a bit more as to why as I come from a similar background and i'm around 5yrs older than you. Doom 1 and 2 have the same place in my heart and I still play them today via zDoom / gzDoom

It's hard to describe until you play it. It just feels like Doom. It's fast, the gameplay is great, and the level design is sublime.

Peterthumpa

Hahaha, fuck the lack of reviews, this game is so much fun, looks amazing, runs well and it's basically DOOM for the new generation.

Awesome job id!

Tainted

It's hard to describe until you play it. It just feels like Doom. It's fast, the gameplay is great, and the level design is sublime.

That's good to know. Ive been watching some videos of it and I haven't been feeling it at all...just seems a little bit too fast and samey if you know what I mean.

I'll probably get it at some point though

Thanks!

Your post delights me! What program did you use to do your own .wad files? Was it wad.ed ? I knew that program like the back of my hand at one point. And it came with the Tricks of the Doom Level Gurus book or something, it was a huge book the size of a phone book. Fuck I wish I still had it I'd love to read through it. Haha you jogged a really great memory of mine dude. Glad to hear the new DOOM harkens to those games. They have a special place in my heart and blew me away at 13 playing it for the first time. Cheers

Frozone

Holy Fuck this game is beautiful! Excellent use of dynamic lighting/shadows, awesome particle FX, very high res enemies with many layers of gore, great looking fire, and overall shaders look completely made from a linear pipeline! Color me impressed with this games visuals and very smooth buttery movement.

my only complaint is the unpacking. i honestly feel like i downloaded the entire fucking preload in like 15 mins and the unpacking took me about 30 mins. oh well!

as for the game, its prettaaaaay prettay good. nice and fast, reminds me of wolfenstein (which was great)

Simo

Sweet jesus. lol

I only intended to play for 30 minutes...hour tops...before calling it a night because of work in the morning but here I am just now getting off since playing it at midnight on PS4 and holy hell is DOOM good.

Fast, fun, intense and I'm just loving every second of it. I had a couple of jump moments from those demon bastards sneaking up behind me. lol A friend of mine also bought it digitally so we were counting down until it unlocked and both started up the campaign at the same time and I could hear my buddy just going apeshit at the encounters and moments he was experiencing. Then I hit the map button to see just how big and layered they are and tell him to do the same thing for an audible "holy shit" over the mic. lol

PS4 version looks and runs beautifully.

I don't wanna go in work tomorrow, I just want to play more Doom. lol

Ultryx

This game is beautiful and everything I could have hoped for so far. Unfortunately my PC is weeping tears when I run it. Rocking an i5 2500K and 770 and I get severe drops in certain areas. Such a bummer because I have a lot turned down already.

Damn, it is visually gorgeous though.

Nokterian

Everything on ultra..chromatic aberration off like turn that shit off always. Vsync set to adaptive and it runs all butter smooth on my i7-2600k,GTX970,16gb memory,windows 10.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also very impressed in the hour or two I put in tonight.

Great opening that pretty much throws you right in, while the general speed and constant enemy assault truly feels like a 90's shooter built in 2016. Large maps with plenty of environmental objects to climb, strafe around, and flank the enemies. You dart about so quickly that it really does feel like a long-forgotten FPS experience reborn. Looks gorgeous and performs exceptionally well on PS4 too. Very solid first impression.

yeah should fps veterans play this on ultra violence or nightmare?

I generally play most games on the hardest difficulty, but went with Ultra-Violence here and it is a pretty steep challenge so far. You really have to keep moving and constantly use the environment(and keep tabs on health pickups as well as go for glory kills) as things can go south real fast if you take a few stray hits. It doesn't feel unfair, but constantly tense. I'm still early in though, but I imagine Nightmare is truly savage if it is a dramatic step-up.

For those who have played it, I loved the AI and hit animations of enemies in Rage, how are those two things in DOOM?

So far I am enjoying Doom more. Rage focused a bit much on the usual stop 'n pop action prevalent in almost every shooter of the last decade(keep safe behind cover and line up the perfect string of counter fire), but this game forces you to dance around the map equally playing offense and defense dodging hailfire and pressing the attack against foes that are gliding about all the same. There is a kinetic energy to the proceedings that just hasn't existed in major FPS games for a good while.

m4st4

Yess... glad to hear about all the positive impressions so far. My copy is scheduled to arrive sometimes next week.

hlhbk

Your post delights me! What program did you use to do your own .wad files? Was it wad.ed ? I knew that program like the back of my hand at one point. And it came with the Tricks of the Doom Level Gurus book or something, it was a huge book the size of a phone book. Fuck I wish I still had it I'd love to read through it. Haha you jogged a really great memory of mine dude. Glad to hear the new DOOM harkens to those games. They have a special place in my heart and blew me away at 13 playing it for the first time. Cheers

I used a couple tools but yeah the one I used most was Waded.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/WADED

I had that book as well. You are probably thinking of Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus/Book and Cd.

doomguru1.JPG

I probably designed around 50 wads in the 5 years I did it. I have them around here somewhere.

xVodevil

Everything on ultra..chromatic aberration off like turn that shit off always. Vsync set to adaptive and it runs all butter smooth on my i7-2600k,GTX970,16gb memory,windows 10.

Me on 2500K and 8gigs of RAM, but also 970.
I had to exit the game, to make sure everything is alright, I couldn't believe it!

I realize everyone's probably only interested in SP and Snapmap, but how do I get my demon multiplayer pack? I preordered on the Xbox One store weeks ago, and it said preorders get the pack. It's not listed as DLC I own when I go to manage the game. In the store it doesn't have the install option or say bundle only, sort of as if it's not available at all. In game I have no extra customizations and no hack modules.

Is this somethign that's supposed to be added later? Or maybe didn't get applied to my account properly?

Xbudz

So they embargoed reviews knowing how fucking awesome this game is? Maybe they preferred initial word of mouth to be the real reviews. Hype be thy name.
This game is awesome.

Simo

I realize everyone's probably only interested in SP and Snapmap, but how do I get my demon multiplayer pack? I preordered on the Xbox One store weeks ago, and it said preorders get the pack. It's not listed as DLC I own when I go to manage the game. In the store it doesn't have the install option or say bundle only, sort of as if it's not available at all. In game I have no extra customizations and no hack modules.

Is this somethign that's supposed to be added later? Or maybe didn't get applied to my account properly?

Hmm on PS4 when I preloaded the game, in my download queue was the multiplayer pack but it didn't download or install until midnight tonight when the game was unlocked. Once it did everything was there available in multiplayer.

Peterthumpa

Also, I don't know how they pulled it off, but the game is fast but feels amazingly responsive using a gamepad. I'm playing on PC since my mouse is actually a touchpad/keyboard combo, and was contemplating buying a decent mouse for this game, but not anymore. Gamepad controls are amazing.

Meesh

Haven't played Doom since it was like, pixels or some shit, is this any good? Seriously considering it here :)

Simo

So they embargoed reviews knowing how fucking awesome this game is? Maybe they preferred initial word of mouth to be the real reviews. Hype be thy name.
This game is awesome.

They embargoed them because apparently the servers weren't going to go live for multiplayer and SnapMap until launch and wanted the whole package fairly critiqued, at least according to their PR statement.

It probably also helps that they pushed out 2 patches to fix some of the technical issues like screen tearing on consoles as well as the other menu options before reviewers got a hold of the game. lol

EDIT: Oh also prepare to have your eardrums blown out again when booting up the game like it did in the beta. lol Also the soundtrack rocks. I feel like I've got a major metal concert going on in my skull when I enter combat and it only helps to pump you up and tear everyone a new one. lol

creatchee

First impressions after an hour:

Dat intro.

I felt like the Polygon guy shooting with the pistol until I got my bearings.

Holy hell, what an optimized game. No hiccups or tearing so far - maxed out everything at 1080p on 6700K/980Ti/16GB - does not falter from 60FPS unless it's to go 61 FPS lol

The System Monitoring settings are awesome. You have an overlay that gives you as much or as little as you want - from just FPS on Low to CPU core and GPU usage on higher ones. Once I realized that it was running perfectly maxed out, I turned everything off and just enjoyed the game.

The speed is absolutely perfect and takes me back to Doom in the 90's. A LOT about this game makes me nostalgic, yet appreciative of the newer stuff that has been assimilated as well.

The Imps are annoying in the best way possible. I really love what they did with them.

This IS Doom and I really wish I didn't have to go to bed right now or get up for work tomorrow.

Simo

First impressions after an hour:

Dat intro.

I felt like the Polygon guy shooting with the pistol until I got my bearings.

Holy hell, what an optimized game. No hiccups or tearing so far - maxed out everything at 1080p on 6700K/980Ti/16GB - does not falter from 60FPS unless it's to go 61 FPS lol

The System Monitoring settings are awesome. You have an overlay that gives you as much or as little as you want - from just FPS on Low to CPU core and GPU usage on higher ones. Once I realized that it was running perfectly maxed out, I turned everything off and just enjoyed the game.

The speed is absolutely perfect and takes me back to Doom in the 90's. A LOT about this game makes me nostalgic, yet appreciative of the newer stuff that has been assimilated as well.

The Imps are annoying in the best way possible. I really love what they did with them.

This IS Doom and I really wish I didn't have to go to bed right now or get up for work tomorrow.

I know them feels. *High Five* I have to be up in 4 hours. lol

Top Bottom