• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Hmm on PS4 when I preloaded the game, in my download queue was the multiplayer pack but it didn't download or install until midnight tonight when the game was unlocked. Once it did everything was there available in multiplayer.

I wonder if it's an Xbox thing, or if it's an isolated issue.

Drewfonse

Great first impressions on the Xbox One. Finished the initial level on Ultra Violence.

No noticeable screen tearing or framerate dips after an hour. Like freaking butter. I'm having to adjust to how smooth and fast it is. On a big TV it's a little overwhelming, but in a good way.

Good shit so far.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is the multi worth it ? The price is steep for only the campaign.

Hard to say, played a couple matches on PS4 and my biggest problem is just how sluggish it is to get a match going. Feels like too much downtime is spent on the countdown between matches, even in a full room, and the loading could be a faster.

Team Deathmatch is alright, kind of reminiscent of the older games with pickups all over, and lots of gibbing, but something does feel missing. Not quite a fan of the 'card'-like consumable system really, and I kept wishing for a mode that scaled back so many of the ancillary features for a more 'pure' experience. Without any music during matches it lacks much energy, while the track that does play in lobbies is kind of lethargic. I didn't think it was all that bad though, but the minor nitpicks sapped my motivation to play beyond 3 matches.

Freeman76

So they embargoed reviews knowing how fucking awesome this game is? Maybe they preferred initial word of mouth to be the real reviews. Hype be thy name.
This game is awesome.

I'm not sure I would want to trust reviewers as a dev anymore. You get too many twats with a blog who are now recognised and included in MC rating etc, must be a bit of a minefield for game devs and very worrying that their product will take a shitty early score because some 15 year old wrote a review complaining there is no guide telling them where to go

dlauv

hows a 970 handle this thing?

@ 1600x900 I can play at 60 fps on Ultra settings with no drops and also stream at 720p60.

Pretty great stuff.

So they embargoed reviews knowing how fucking awesome this game is? Maybe they preferred initial word of mouth to be the real reviews. Hype be thy name.
This game is awesome.

They did the same with Wolfenstein: TNO. They probably genuinely meant what they said about the Multi and Snapmap wanting to be included in the review process, probably to buff up the Metacritic score a bit.

Also, multiplayer still has the same poor sound design.

ISee

This game is awesome.

Okay... buying it now... Shame on you if it sucks.

j/k

edit: Wait is the steam edition in germany censored?

Spoo

Played a few more hours. I feel like I'm maybe 3/4 the way through. What a fucking blast this game is. Smooth, violent, expansive, and actually pretty challenging (if you're playing on Ultra violence anyway). It's really so much better than I was expecting, and I've been optimistic about since it was first shown.

This is going to be such a breath of fresh air for FPS gamers looking for something that isn't military shooter #928394.

If I had to say one thing I think they could fix for this or future versions, it would be that staggered enemies should be "chain glory killed" to save a fraction of a second.

I keep missing fucking secrets and I feel like I'm leaving no stone unturned. Awesome hiding spaces, id. I have to go to bed, but man, this fucking game.

@ 1600x900 I can play at 60 fps on Ultra settings with no drops and also stream at 720p60.

Pretty great stuff.

They did the same with Wolfenstein: TNO. They probably genuinely meant what they said about the Multi and Snapmap wanting to be included in the review process, probably to buff up the Metacritic score a bit.

Also, multiplayer still has the same poor sound design.

ok im in

Glad to see everyone is enjoying it, sucks that I'll have to wait another 7 hours to play though. So I assume all the naysayers had their fears out to rest?

If the MP is like the beta, it feels like a faster Halo 5, not bad by any stretch, but definitely not what you'd want if you were looking for a successor to Quake.

Edit: Certain Affinity is responsible for that portion apparently. No wonder it felt like Halo.

Sciz

It's certainly working on me. One good gameplay demo and the internet swearing up and down that it's an actual, honest to god DOOM game flipped me from "maybe someday" to "breaking out the wallet right now" in the span of a day.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I assume all the naysayers had their fears out to rest?

Campaign makes a wonderful first impression, especially for us older 90's PC gamers. We'll see how it pans out as we start to complete it.

MP may not win many people over though.

Xbudz

I caved and turned the music off.
I've replaced it with some dark drum and bass that I enjoy much more and still fits with the tone of the game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, this is for the most part fucking rad, but what on earth is with the shitty movement!? it feels almost as if my left stick has a massive deadzone which results in extremely jerky movement. little stick movements result in almost no movement, then at 50% tilt its full speed ahead. i cant be the only one hating it, please patch in some acceleration/deadzone tweaking. the right stick aiming feels great, why have the movement so different?

There seems to be a room blocked off by a square metal door in the second level. there was a similar suspicious looking door in the first level as well. i cant find 1 secret in each level are the secrets tied to these doors?

Tenck

For those who have played it, I loved the AI and hit animations of enemies in Rage, how are those two things in DOOM?

Don't know about hit animations compared to Rage, but the enemy AI gets pretty aggressive on Ultra Violence. At first I was just ignoring a few enemies to jump around, and they climb whatever I'm climbing to attack me. They also charge me and can get ridiculous when there's like 3 or 4.

jonno394

Just reading about snapmap, sounds great. It won't be limited to multiplayer content will it? Seems like it could add extra longevity to the SP experience.

dlauv

I can't play this game for too long because it really screws up my left eye and gives me a headache. I think it's due to motion blur and depth of field, but it looks too pretty to turn off.

Game is awesome so far, really fast. Playing on ps4 and it plays flawlessly. I hope this does well so they will green light a sequel. It's great having old school style shooters again in doom and wolf. Can't wait to play more in the morning.

hlhbk

Just reading about snapmap, sounds great. It won't be limited to multiplayer content will it? Seems like it could add extra longevity to the SP experience.

Just played a remake of E1M2 made in snapchat in single player and it was glorious. Can wait for all of the first 2 games to be done.

Just played a remake of E1M2 made in snapchat in single player and it was glorious. Can wait for all of the first 2 games to be done.

Snap map will give a lot of content I think, it will be awesome to have the first games remade in snap map not to mention hopefully some new episodes as well.

Mission

hows a 970 handle this thing?

Yeah it's just fine. That's what I am using and it looks great, plays great.

Just finished the first real level. Had a hard time finding many of the secrets so I played through it twice to get them all. I found the amount of ammo or the placement of it really difficult, ended up using the pistol or melee kills a lot. That's on Hurt me Plenty. I'm old school but not a glutton for punishment.

No regrets here.

zzzzzzz

Teknoman

This is definitely the game I wanted. Brisk pace, fluidly moving enemies, no reloading, and stage layouts that make you question if you've looked everywhere.

Great job ID!

tesqui

So after I destroyed the 4 nests on the (3rd?) map I went and opened the big airlock door to the next area. While the door was opening a big demon guy came out of nowhere and one-shotted me. Is this a scripted sequence in which you have to die? Cause that dude was completely gone once I reloaded checkpoint and tried again. It really fucked with me haha. I kept inching closer to the door then sprinting backwards waiting for that fucker to spawn again.

Odrion

Banned
Well, time to find out if this game is either Everything Will Be Alright in the End or The White Album (2016) to this Doom fan.

if you understood what that sentence means then: congrats! you're cool

54-46!

The singleplayer looks like fun, tempted to buy this.

From what I've seen it seem to suffer from what many other throwback FPS also do though, that you move from one arena to the other fighting waves of enemies instead of having a steady stream of them.

Teknoman

Holy shit I started on the highest difficulty level and I'm getting demolished lol

Fire! Fire! Fire! And don't stop firing are the only instructions you need. Because in this Doomsday extravaganza, there's little time for thinking. A killer instinct is all that matters. And if your trigger finger lacks stamina, Earth will lack a future.

Also glory kills.

Phionoxx

Saw the post earlier that mentioned the PC version has controller rumble support for Xbox One pads at least. Has anyone tried using a DS4? Curious to see if that also has the rumble support.

Top Bottom