• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

ktroopa

hows a 970 handle this thing?

Its runs like a beast. Im running i7 2600K@ 4.2ghz and MSI GTX970 slightly oc, 8GB, win 8.1x64. Seriously impressed at the graphics and speed, silky smooth fps locked at 60fps 1080p. They really got the speed of this game right, plays great. Did i mention the game looks awesome!

Edit: settings at ultra, video settings maxed

I've gotten so old. Ultra-Violence is kicking my ass, I had to retry some of the big fights in the first 2 maps several times before I cleared the mobs. So far I haven't actually been stuck so I'll keep going at this difficulty but it's been quite a readjustment to playing FPS at classic speed.

Ilmyr

It seems like that DOOM does not appear in the Steam community profile:

- recent activity and game time does not show
- achievements cannot be viewed
- the game is missing in the profiles game list

It appears in the steam library though and can be started.

Anyone else with that problem?

The singleplayer looks like fun, tempted to buy this.

From what I've seen it seem to suffer from what many other throwback FPS also do though, that you move from one arena to the other fighting waves of enemies instead of having a steady stream of them.

There is a lot of arena-based action, but at the same time there are plenty of enemies you'll encounter simply through exploration. It's when the game really wants you to get in on the action that you'll face a lot of enemies at once. Because of the way the game's combat is paced, those arena sections actually work really well.

Teknoman

I've gotten so old. Ultra-Violence is kicking my ass, I had to retry some of the big fights in the first 2 maps several times before I cleared the mobs. So far I haven't actually been stuck so I'll keep going at this difficulty but it's been quite a readjustment to playing FPS at classic speed.

Glory kill as much as possible. On UV, it really does seem key to surviving in a pinch.

zeioIIDX

Yo....this game is fun as fuck so far (I've only just cleared the first level). I love the little nods to the original Doom games as far as like, hey I see something out of reach over there, now how do I go about backtracking to find the secret entrance to that spot? The fights are very fast-paced and I'm actually glad the glory kills are implemented, it helps out a lot and is actually fun to do in my opinion. Oh and I'm running this on a GTX 770 and everything is silky smooth at 1080p apart from a tiny bit of screen-tearing once in a blue moon. I haven't adjusted v-sync at all though. I'm impressed. Man, I'm gonna be gaming up a storm this weekend.

Glory kill as much as possible. On UV, it really does seem key to surviving in a pinch.

The game actually doesn't pause during a glory kill animation, I've gotten killed while in animation LMAO. And yeah, I'm spamming the glory kills like crazy. On UV, the zombies are like health pinatas, run up and press F to pay respects and get health back.

J 0 E

qZ23DKz.png

IqM3STK.png

Tomeru

So, is that cover for the game reversible for the throwback one or?

It is, but as much as I love it over the "official" one, they kept the DOOM logo white and clean. Whyoh why didn't they change it to the old one....

Game fucking rocks.

I always find it strange how people with monster rigs are honestly surprised this game runs at 60fps.

I'm ALWAYS surprised when a game runs well for me in 4K. This game runs incredibly well for me in 4K, much better than other AAA games I've played the last 2 years in this resolution.

Cmagus

So for the classic Doom areas is there a certain switch you need to find to open the doors? I've finished the first two stages and found the doors but I searched everywhere and can't seem to find any kind of switch.

Good lord, what a game. So good to have classic DOOM back yet in modern form. I feel the classic DOOM formula injects what the FPS needs similar to Burnout injecting what the arcade racer needed. I need both in my gaming life. Simple adrenaline-pumping fun.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Glory Kills are needed on higher difficulties. Even on normal I've found myself running out of ammo just trying fire weapons only.
Not sure I like that either. I just wanna shoot stuff without animation chains.

Glory Kills are needed on higher difficulties. Even on normal I've found myself running out of ammo just trying fire weapons only.

Glory kills don't give ammo, only health. That's what chainsaw is for. I'm impressed they found a tactical way to integrate chainsaw, it has limited fuel but you use it to get ammo for your guns when you run dry during a firefight and it can be useful to kill those annoying guys with shields too.

Man you're making me want to grab a 4k monitor next year with my pascal titan/ti

4K is the greatest thing since sliced limbs with a chainsaw. Four times the pixels of 1080p are all in agreement with me here.

RedRum

Banned
On XB1. My god this game is amazing.

I fucking hated the MP beta but took a chance just for single player. I am not disappointed whatsoever.

I'm still on the first level. I hope you guys found that door to the original doom secret part! What a way to pay homage!

Vee_One

It seems like that DOOM does not appear in the Steam community profile:

- recent activity and game time does not show
- achievements cannot be viewed
- the game is missing in the profiles game list

It appears in the steam library though and can be started.

Anyone else with that problem?

Yeah, happened to me
Still logs game time but doesn't show up

mark_79

Banned
Feedback is extremely positive so far. Proper old school shit but everybody seems to be really digging it.

Fuck nVidia, hurry up and release those new graphic cards, I have to play this game :(

I'm particularly impressed by the verticality of the big outdoor arenas. There are many ways to traverse each area and having the high ground is really meaningful in terms of a real advantage both for you and the mobs.

So glad to hear it's so enjoyable. I was worried enough to wait for reviews. Think Bethesda massively dropped the ball on marketing then? It's been relatively quiet, with some awfully generic cover art (which is also used for all the posters at bus stops), and then the lack of review copies. I'm worried it won't sell well even if it reviews well.

Trickster

Haven't really followed the game very much. But thinking it could be fun enough to pickup.

Mainly wondering, hows multiplayer ?

Mifec

Glory kills don't give ammo, only health. That's what chainsaw is for. I'm impressed they found a tactical way to integrate chainsaw, it has limited fuel but you use it to get ammo for your guns when you run dry during a firefight and it can be useful to kill those annoying guys with shields too.

4K is the greatest thing since sliced limbs with a chainsaw. Four times the pixels of 1080p are all in agreement with me here.

I'm 1440p currently and I already want more rofl .

zeioIIDX

I'm still on the first level. I hope you guys found that door to the original doom secret part! What a way to pay homage!

Damn it! I'm going to have to replay level 1 and search for that, I wasn't sure if the secret doors were in every level of the game.

RedRum

Banned
Damn it! I'm going to have to replay level 1 and search for that, I wasn't sure if the secret doors were in every level of the game.

Every level has one! Those aren't the only secret areas either, but the game will let you know you've found them and there are some good rewards for searching.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This feels like the perfect blend of id Software's entire game catalog rather than simply Doom. There are elements from every one of its games in here and it works amazingly well just as I had hoped.

All the positive impressions made me buy this on the Xbox store. The downloading is painfully slow though with about 10% each hour so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning in order to play.

It seems Doom is trending on twitter already, so I guess this is a good start for word of mouth.

Top Bottom