• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Bethesda criminally mishandled the marketing for this game.

Yup. I paid attention to nearly everything marketing related for this game and I came away not wanting to buy it.

I watched people play it on PC and I bought it tonight.

I'm playing it and loving the hell out of it.

Glory kills don't give ammo, only health. That's what chainsaw is for. I'm impressed they found a tactical way to integrate chainsaw, it has limited fuel but you use it to get ammo for your guns when you run dry during a firefight and it can be useful to kill those annoying guys with shields too.

4K is the greatest thing since sliced limbs with a chainsaw. Four times the pixels of 1080p are all in agreement with me here.

Glory Kills don't give ammo but they SAVE you from using A LOT

Freeman76

Gotta get this, looks so damn good, I used to play doom as a teenager and was never really very good at it, yet all the same I fucking loved playing it.

Justinh

This game is too fun. It must be erased from this planet for the good of humanity.

Wait 'til I'm done, though, 'kay?

This game was running great for me (60-80ish, more like 100 when nothing's going on like beginning
of 4th mission
), then I started the second level and it was bouncing between 20 and 30!

I was running a mix of ultra and high with shadows on medium on a 2500K with a 970 @1080 (no AA). I lowered all the settings and even the resolution down to 720p and it wouldn't get higher than like... 33 fps. Then windows crashed when I alt-tabbed out for a second and was coming back in. Since I rebooted I've been back to the mix of High and Ultra with shadows on medium and it's been running like a dream again.

Oh! Drivers! I kinda want to see if things are better, but I'm so tired right now. Playing it on Ultra-Violence and it's great. Good challenge without being unfair IMO. Everyone hits so friggen hard, though.

Tomeru

Killing Floor 2 made me feel like "no other game is this fun to shoot things". DOOM is quickly changing my mind about that.

True. It's great jumping and shooting and kicking and punching your way through a room filled with demons. It's a rush. Can't wait to jump in the multi. Need to get my reflexes reset first though. Gotta go fast.

I just can't get over the music. They should have hired Robert Prince to come back. it's not the same without him.

I want Quake 2s' soundtrack in there too. Sonic mayhem fucking rules.

Played for about 9 hours today on PC. Was trying to beat it as I have to pack up the rest of my shit(namely my wife and I's PC+monitors) and I don't think I'll get to finish before I move.

Playing on Ultra-Violence seems about perfect for a first playthrough, so be sure to challenge yourself if you can, it's worth it. I've died enough to learn my lessons, but not enough to feel frustrated. Whenever I die, I plan a new route around the arena and it just feels so good when you figure it out. Some of those later encounters are FUCKING INTENSE. I won't spoil anything, but your gonna need to be on your A game halfway through or so. A ton of fun. You'll finish one fight and breathe a sigh of relief for just a moment, only to be challenged even harder a second later. And you won't expect it either. It really falls into the same dance that you'd go in with Doom 2. Be scared as shit at a new unseen enemy, only to learn their patterns and then knowing how to prioritize. So good.

This game has actually exceeded my expectations. I wasn't expecting it to be so faithful to the original Doom games while also feeling fresh at the same time. I mean, they even have the skull keys from D1&2. The Skull Keys! In today's market for realism, the game revels in it's history and bathes it in blood and guts.

Some of the secrets are REALLLLYYY well hidden. I try to find as many as I can, but I won't spend too much time trying to get them, I'll save that for another playthrough.

I'm just so happy they actually did it amidst all the development problems and lack of faith from the community. They did a Hell of a job.

Jimaroid

Neo Member
This is wonderful. Absolutely fantastic.

Don't care about anything else, but the first 30 minutes of the campaign have made me grin like an idiot and that's enough for me. It's DOOM. Gloriously DOOM.

Mifec

True. It's great jumping and shooting and kicking and punching your way through a room filled with demons. It's a rush. Can't wait to jump in the multi. Need to get my reflexes reset first though. Gotta go fast.

Multi is nowhere as amazing as SP, sadly.

Happy to see people are enjoying this. Got too many games on my plate to pick it up right now but I'm always happy to see a game that really could have gone either way end up great.

Freeman76

Multi is nowhere as amazing as SP, sadly.

That's just one opinion though, if you read the STEAM reviews a lot of people are saying its much better than the BETA and they have made some really positive changes from feedback they received.

Moff

Is normal difficulty too easy or its just fine?

I play it on the hardes difficulty that's available from start and I like it that way.
I die sometimes but it feels good.
the classic levels are super hard, though because the possessed gunners in doom16 are nowhere near as weak as the standard grunts in doom 2.

Can't believe how pathetic people get on the Steam forums sometimes. There are threads talking about "Denuvo DON'T BUY" "Only 13K playing on Steam. GAME IS DEAD!"

Beepos

How long is SP? Looked very generic when I checked it out last, but I have a soft spot for Doom.

It definitely look more action packed and faster than Doom 3, but does it have those cool atmospheric moments? I really enjoyed chatting to the Space Base before it went to hell and the recordings etc.

Also, tough question because I know this is such a new release, but initial impressions for those who have played both - better than Wolfenstein: The New Order?

(I want a more old school shooter to play through and not sure what to look at).

Shit, I don't know man, but I must not be looking hard enough. I've missed all of the secrets on the first couple of areas. I'm usually pretty good about this kind of thing. lol

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How long is SP? Looked very generic when I checked it out last, but I have a soft spot for Doom.

It definitely look more action packed and faster than Doom 3, but does it have those cool atmospheric moments? I really enjoyed chatting to the Space Base before it went to hell and the recordings etc.

Also, tough question because I know this is such a new release, but initial impressions for those who have played both - better than Wolfenstein: The New Order?

(I want a more old school shooter to play through and not sure what to look at).

Like right now?...yes. A lot for me personally. Don't know if the feeling holds of course.

Moff

Shit, I don't know man, but I must not be looking hard enough. I've missed all of the secrets on the first couple of areas. I'm usually pretty good about this kind of thing. lol

it is hard, but all of them?
always look for ledges to grab on to and use the map, it often gives away secret passages

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is Mission 5 - Argent Tower.
Frame drops occurred in the last few fights of the level.
Also at an outdoor part in the middle of the level, where you are crossing a big bridge like thing.
Hmm, I'm doing a preliminary FPS vid...but not sure I can get there on both versions and still have time to produce a video. We'll see.

d3vnull

So friggin happy about this turning out so great. The campain is crazy good and everything I hoped it would be!

Can't wait for my working day to end so I can get back into ripping and tearing.

I only put two or three hours into Wolfenstein. A little over two hours into DOOM, this is a lot more fun. Not blow it out of the water fun(not yet), but definitely more fun.

Justinian

Firstly it's definitely worth your time if you're after an old school style shooter. The level design and frantic yet tactical combat assures that. It's very different to TNO in that it's not a cinematic game. Its almost 100% focused on combat and level exploration. The combat itself is far deeper and more fun than TNO IMO.

It has less creepy atmosphere than Doom 3 but is superior in every other way. It feels much more like Doom than Doom 3 ever did.

Moff

Will do. I'm wondering if we can travel back to previous areas anytime? Also, does DOOM have NG+?

yes there is a mission select after you pick your campaign slot
if you replay older levels you also keep all your upgrades you had in your latest game and you can upgrade yourself further and continue where you left off

yes there is a mission select after you pick your campaign slot
if you replay older levels you also keep all your upgrades you had in your latest game and you can upgrade yourself further and continue where you left off

Something something...best FPS in a long time? Got it

Top Bottom