• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

M_A_C

Awesome that this is getting such positive buzz after the whole review copy thing. I can't wait for mine to be delivered tomorrow.

Sigh... this game took me about 23 hours to download on shitty Australian internet and about 10 minutes to unpack. You don't know how good you guys have it.

I know the feeling. I am 18GB into the 43GB. Plus Steam is showing a lot of disk usage so I am not sure if a patch was released and it is having to do a lot of checks as it is downloading. It downloads so much data and then does some more 20-30MB disk usage and then downloads again.

I cannot wait until the end of the month when we go onto a new service provider at much much higher speeds than this junk.

Awesome that this is getting such positive buzz after the whole review copy thing. I can't wait for mine to be delivered tomorrow.

Yeah I am really happy too. I took a punt on the game as it is a birthday present; I don't usually preorder games but I had a feeling this might surprise. I am really looking forward to playing it.

ekim

Man... how awesome it would be if you would be able to kick the explosive barrels into groups of enemies and then shoot it. Missed opportunity here.

SZips

Well, this game has surpassed my expectations. To be fair, I wasn't fully sold on this game prior to Nvidia's recent video.

My only real regret is that I didn't start on a harder difficulty from the beginning.

Hasney

Fuck it, was buying some pillows from Amazon and saw the game so I'll have it delivered tonight. My 980ti is arriving today as well so need something new to throw at it....

Any Steam/XB1 controller impressions for PC? PC is currently on the TV until I buy a new monitor in a couple of months.

ekim

How does it look and perform on Xbox One? And is the gameplay just as fast as the MP?

If the SP is great I hope it's lengthy as well then.

So far it looks and plays great. I noticed only one section where framerate drops for a few seconds when there is a lot of smoke effects. Was at the start of level 2. (Intro not included)
Gameplay in SP is the same speed as MP imho.

Arkanius

I agree with some opinions here.

The sound mixing needed to be better. The shoot gun doesn't give enough oomph and the music doesn't distinct itself from each other. Only the opening goal score which was OG Doom was recognizable.

Loving the game so far. 9/10

Any Steam/XB1 controller impressions for PC? PC is currently on the TV until I buy a new monitor in a couple of months.

Works great with the Steam Controller. I set up a custom configuration that I'm pretty happy with and will upload it to the community as soon as Steam lets me.

I can't believe how good this game looks.

Yeah. This is definitely the best looking game I've seen in recent memory. DOOM blows Uncharted out of the water! Real impressed with 60FPS for the console versions. A game that can look this good running at 60 on a console is an accomplishment. It's amazing that we got two amazing games in the same week. It doesn't happen very often!

Played for about 3 hours so far and I am LOVING IT. I haven't enjoyed a single player shooter like this in so long. Def some elements that could be improved like the sound mixing but overall I am really enjoying this and cant wait to explore how nutty I can make things with snap map.

NXGamer

60 FPS on console for SP and MP.

Game is solid from my first tests, 99% 60 in SP and MP.

My 1st contact video is up for PS4 if you want to check it out, wont link incase that is not allowed (I think it is not) but ok to say it right...anyone?

Rizzi

Alright treasure hunters.
How do I get this door open?
C08155643D8FBD16276ED09355BF0BA335E96820

AJ_Wings

Yeah 5 hours, I'm absolutely loving this. Favorite current gen SP shooter next to Wolfenstein. I just love the combat sandbox they have going for.

Mdk7

15 hours in, and I still have to beat the game (I replayed a few missions, and I can't get a door open in order to get a rune, it's probably the 5th or 6th one...).
I'm still having tons of fun with the game, glad people are digging it as much as I do... and I'm surprised few are complaining about that sort of "arena" setup: I personally don't mind it, but I thought it could be something questionable for some.

Moff

15 hours in, and I still have to beat the game (I replayed a few missions, and I can't get a door open in order to get a rune, it's probably the 5th or 6th one...).
I'm still having tons of fun with the game, glad people are digging it as much as I do... and I'm surprised few are complaining about that sort of "arena" setup: I personally don't mind it, but I thought it could be something questionable for some.

I was worried about the arena setup, but at least in the first 4 levels it's not a big deal.
there are not too many and often they are optional and they are actually fun. the enemy movement and animations are just fantastic, it's incredible how they use the enviroment to their advantage and change positions.
the single player arena sections feel a bit like a Q3A match due to the fast movements, there are even jumppads.

I do have to say, the game feels closer to quake than doom in some ways.

FatalT

Banned
I played about 4 hours of single player and multiplayer but after coming off of Uncharted 4, I'm just not really enjoying it too much. I'll play more of the single player and try to beat it before I take it back to Redbox but eh. It's definitely got that super fast-paced old school Doom feel to it. Multiplayer just feels a bit too chaotic for me to actually get into. I ranked up to level 7 or 8 and enjoy the random drops for armor/colors at the end of each match but the actual matches are just too fast for me. I thoroughly enjoyed Uncharted 4's multiplayer because it was slower-paced and more strategic but this is just chaos. Hopefully the campaign holds me!

Alpha_eX

Do I stick with my PS4 copy or trade it for the Xbox one version? I don't have a high-end PC.

My only gripe with the PS4 version is that the pad is awful for FPS compared to the Xbox One pad.

Hasney

Works great with the Steam Controller. I set up a custom configuration that I'm pretty happy with and will upload it to the community as soon as Steam lets me.

Excellent. Could never get to grips with Steam Controller on TF2 but I think that was due to 1,000 hours of M+KB. Going straight onto Steam on this one and see if I can adapt.

T.O.P

Banned

Sounds like a meaty campaign, when is the review coming mdk?

GlamFM

Banned
Bad feeling about what?

I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face. This is hitting me as positively as Uncharted 4 (though they are very very different). This is absolutely amazing thus far.

Ha ha, try 99% locked 60fps instead.

Cool, I´m excited - just a little worried.

The last trailer was riding on the nostalgia wave a little too hard for my taste.

ultra violence + glory kill glow off + objective markers off is the way to go

Yeah sounds good to me.

Be better if Glory Kills were a pick up item though.

Glory Kills are needed on higher difficulties. Even on normal I've found myself running out of ammo just trying fire weapons only.

Hmmmm...

Not sure I like that either. I just wanna shoot stuff without animation chains.

Agreed.

Glory kills don't give ammo, only health. That's what chainsaw is for. I'm impressed they found a tactical way to integrate chainsaw, it has limited fuel but you use it to get ammo for your guns when you run dry during a firefight and it can be useful to kill those annoying guys with shields too.

4K is the greatest thing since sliced limbs with a chainsaw. Four times the pixels of 1080p are all in agreement with me here.

Nice. Tactics I'm up for!

T.O.P

Banned
It's fine, I get to enjoy and play the game at my own pace, with no need to rush or no hours spent writing down a long analysis instead of playing, LOL. :D
Are you buying it?

Heading to GS as soon as i'm getting out of work

But considering the Giro D'Italia (wich i totally forgot about) i might be out of luck in getting even near the shop :|

level1

Gah..wasn't planning on getting it but all this hype is making me cave in..any suggestions on whether I should get it on ps4 or pc? I run an i5 6600 and a gtx960(4gb)

dlauv

If the sound design was only a little bit better this game would be one of the greats. You really have no idea you're getting hit or where from too often. That arrow at the bottom of the screen doesn't really cut it and sometimes it's just flat out wrong.

I was worried about the arena setup, but at least in the first 4 levels it's not a big deal.
there are not too many and often they are optional and they are actually fun. the enemy movement and animations are just fantastic, it's incredible how they use the enviroment to their advantage and change positions.
the single player arena sections feel a bit like a Q3A match due to the fast movements, there are even jumppads.

I do have to say, the game feels closer to quake than doom in some ways.

I've always felt like the gameplay in Quake was a natural evolution of Doom so it makes sense I guess.

So far it looks and plays great. I noticed only one section where framerate drops for a few seconds when there is a lot of smoke effects. Was at the start of level 2. (Intro not included)
Gameplay in SP is the same speed as MP imho.

Damn, that sounds great. Makes you wonder why the reviews drop today and not a week early or so, like Fallout 4 last year.

Yeah. This is definitely the best looking game I've seen in recent memory. DOOM blows Uncharted out of the water! Real impressed with 60FPS for the console versions. A game that can look this good running at 60 on a console is an accomplishment. It's amazing that we got two amazing games in the same week. It doesn't happen very often!

It looks that damn good? Well shit....man now i want to really see it.

That sounds fantastic. Too many games these days are just too short, but it sounds like this is very similar to Wolfenstein, lovely. What exactly is meant with arena setup?

Hopefully it'll finish downloading in time for me to check it out later this afternoon or evening. I'm so damned excited.

Fun, single player first-person shooters have always been my favourite, and I spent hours with DOOM as a kid.

Question: How are you guys finding the difficulty? Should I start on hard if I tend to play most shooters on hard? Also, can you change it at any time?

GenericUser

Is this like wolfenstein with all the annoying talking of is it a straightforward shooter? On the fence of buying this but I fear it might be to heavy on the story side for me. I'm not the person who cares about talking in video games.

Top Bottom