• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

jonno394

Amazon Prime Now just cancelled my order, without giving me a reason, fuming now!

Will have to pick up tonight/tomorrow morning instead now.

Zeliard

Does the MP (on PC at least) have any promise at all or is it already dead in the water? Heard almost universally negative things about the beta.

sueil

Is this like wolfenstein with all the annoying talking of is it a straightforward shooter? On the fence of buying this but I fear it might be to heavy on the story side for me. I'm not the person who cares about talking in video games.

It's like 95% exploring the map / combat.

if anyone is interested game uk are selling t shirts and stuff aswell for launch(just went to my local one and got some steam vouchers :D)

they havent been avaliable online in a while (especially in uk anyway.
Fuck Game. You can buy these online in many places and I'd rather not give that shitshow of a company another penny for their cost+110%

Does the MP (on PC at least) have any promise at all or is it already dead in the water? Heard almost universally negative things about the beta.

I'm willing to give it another shot, but it felt slower than your usual MP arena title. I'd like to try and see if they balanced anything, but I keep getting that Waiting For More Players shit that the beta had.

ZehDon

Ok, jumped in. Hopefully the single player is as good as everyone seems to be saying!

On a related note: 45gb download from a retail disc. Whoever thought that was a good idea shouldn't be allowed to have ideas any more.

Arkanius

Is this like wolfenstein with all the annoying talking of is it a straightforward shooter? On the fence of buying this but I fear it might be to heavy on the story side for me. I'm not the person who cares about talking in video games.

Barely any talking. Mostly at the beginning of the level and at the end.

Ok, jumped in. Hopefully the single player is as good as everyone seems to be saying!

On a related note: 45gb download from a retail disc. Whoever thought that was a good idea shouldn't be allowed to have ideas any more.

You mean a 45gb install, right?

I wish it was smaller, myself, because even though I started the download about 2 hours ago, it's only at 10% or so.

Mdk7

Hopefully it'll finish downloading in time for me to check it out later this afternoon or evening. I'm so damned excited.

Fun, single player first-person shooters have always been my favourite, and I spent hours with DOOM as a kid.

Question: How are you guys finding the difficulty? Should I start on hard if I tend to play most shooters on hard? Also, can you change it at any time?

Do yourself a favor and start with Ultra Violence: even that won't be that incredibly challenging, but it will be perfect for a first playthrough.

daedalius

Played for like 3 hours straight, I absolutely love the campaign so far. It is just so fun to play, running around blasting demons again.

id really knocked this out of the park, holy shit, I am literally flabbergasted at how awesome it is.

On a performance note, haven't seen like any frame dips on xbone yet.

Man, I can't figure out how to get the
BFG
First the floor of the room falls out, so then you jump up the floating container. When the lasers turn on I jump to the wall outcroppings on the side to avoid them, but then I'm stuck. No idea what to do next.

Mdk7

you're probably palying on ultra violence

nightmare is not available from start and if you die once the campaign is over

Nightmare is there, that is the step above nightmare (that's, as you say, unlocked from the start).
But Nightmare is available, for sure.

Lumine

I was this close to pulling the trigger. I'm really in the mood for a new FPS (Wolfenstein surprised me positively) but I'm currently really low on funds. Close to being broke. The positive impressions in this thread convinced me to just go for it anyway. Until I saw the $40 season pass. What the hell? Any idea what that is supposed to even contain? Maybe I should just wait for the Christmas sale or something after all.

Mdk7

BFG
First the floor of the room falls out, so then you jump up the floating container. When the lasers turn on I jump to the wall outcroppings on the side to avoid them, but then I'm stuck. No idea what to do next.

Shoot the red lights of the motors holding the laser circle, when it's above you.
Prepare for the fun.

BFG

when the circle platform raises, shoot the red cylinders on the outer edges. it breaks and you can grab it

d3vnull

you're probably palying on ultra violence

nightmare is not available from start and if you die once the campaign is over

I'm definitely playing on Nightmare.
It was in red letters when I started the campaign but I could select it. I died a lot and could resume my checkpoints.
There was another difficulty setting below it which was locked for me.

T.O.P

Banned
I was this close to pulling the trigger. I'm really in the mood for a new FPS (Wolfenstein surprised me positively) but I'm currently really low on funds. Close to being broke. The positive impressions in this thread convinced me to just go for it anyway. Until I saw the $40 season pass. What the hell? Any idea what that is supposed to even contain? Maybe I should just wait for the Christmas sale or something after all.

From what i've seen is MP only stuff, new maps, demons etc.

Also
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/doom-pc-cd-key-steam
If it's a cheaper alternative go for it

Moff

Nightmare is there, that is the step above nightmare (that's, as you say, unlocked from the start).
But Nightmare is available, for sure.

really? is this and old screenshot then?
doom-alpha-screenshot-3.jpg

I am not sure, It hought I picked the hardest settings but I thought my savegame said ultra violence

Truant

How's the story and lore? I know it's not the focus, but there aren't that many games with satanic themes, and I love that stuff.

Shifty

This download is enormous. I've had my rig on all night and am still only halfway through it.

Really looking forward to this though. Difficulty-wise, if I can handle original Doom on Ultra Violence, am I good to go here too?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's so little talking in this game that it almost feels strange. But I like it.

Dueck

Banned

I think the season pass is all multiplayer stuff, which means no stress for solo play, but some pretty segregated online (assuming this doesn't set the world on fire and Overwatch lands a powerful blow).

psychotron

I'll probably pick this up, but the arena thing does have me a bit put off. It made Wofenstein: Old Blood much less enjoyable than the base game. So conflicted.

Tomeru

really? is this and old screenshot then?

I am not sure, It hought I picked the hardest settings but I thought my savegame said ultra violence

On Ps4 it has nightmare and ultra nightmare, I think. Both are locked from the start.

How's the story and lore? I know it's not the focus, but there aren't that many games with satanic themes, and I love that stuff.

DOOM has always been a pop rendition of Hell. Lots of pentagrams and blood and meat everywhere but that's mostly it.

The story of DOOM, should you care enough to stop mass-murdering demons long enough to read it, is contained in the codex. You pick them up and can read them at your leisure.

Lore spoiler:
It seems this game occurs in the same timeline as OG DOOM 1/2, your perpetually angry Doomguy was forcefully put into cryo-sleep against his will after saving the world in DOOM 2 and kept around in case UAC needed to break the glass because of an emergency. This implies that DOOM 3, which retells the story of the original DOOM, is an alternate timeline. Anyways that's why the game starts with you suddenly waking up after having been encased in a coffin and your environment suit has been kept in that weird ritual altar. The cult members seem to have been worshiping you like a demi-god or something LOL.

I'll probably pick this up, but the arena thing does have me a bit put off. It made Wofenstein: Old Blood much less enjoyable than the base game. So conflicted.

i was the same way until I bought it.

there is plenty of combat in between, some surprises too.

i actually look forward to the "arena" sections now. they are mad intense.

D1AMONDDOGS

Neo Member
5 hours in, just got to Hell. Blown away by how much fun i'm having with it.

Funny how the #1 most-played thing in SnapMap is Deathmatch. Hahaha. I actually really dug the Beta. Gonna hop on some MP tomorrow & see how it is now.

Mdk7

It's rich in text and surprisingly enjoyable (of course for what it is, it's not the next The Last of Us of course, but thankfully it's not even trying to be that!).
Plus, as I said other times, it does remind me of Dead Space, in terms of themes and tone. Which is a plus in my book.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't read the entire thread but it seems the impressions are overall positive so far? I love Doom but wasn't sure about this one.

Top Bottom