• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Moff

kPdKKve.png

thanks

damn I didn't realize nightmare was selectable because it was red, I sure took ultraviolence

yeah well a reason to replay the game

biteren

Yeah. This is definitely the best looking game I've seen in recent memory. DOOM blows Uncharted out of the water! Real impressed with 60FPS for the console versions. A game that can look this good running at 60 on a console is an accomplishment. It's amazing that we got two amazing games in the same week. It doesn't happen very often!

lets not get carried away here

Mr Swine

Banned
I managed to play 5 minutes before leaving to work and I died roughly 5 times against the zombies in the area where you wake up. That is because I chooses nightmare and it are me up and spat me right back out 😋

So I'm going to play much more now when I arrive home!

biteren

I haven't read the entire thread but it seems the impressions are overall positive so far? I love Doom but wasn't sure about this one.

DOOM 2016 might be one of those gamed you gotta have in your hands to really get it

alot of folks who were worried seem to be enjoying it now

Chiggs

Gold Member
Played about 3 hours thus far. I'm liking it, even though some of the guns feel wimpy. Level designs are pretty good and the fights are fast-paced and challenging. The rune challenges are also a welcome addition.

They need to up the oomph factor in the next patch with a few of these weapons, however.

NJD316

Neo Member
Rather than a multiplayer beta, this game would have been better served with a single player demo. 10 minutes of this will leave you wanting more, guaranteed.

Mdk7

Any impressions for the XB1 Version? How does it run and look? Is this game even enjoyable with a controller?

Xbox One runs super fine, the game is really impressive to look at considering the framerate locked at 60fps.
There was quite some tearing, but honestly I haven't seen it in the last few days, so I guess they might have released a patch to fix that.
Plus I'm playing it with the Elite controller, so I'm enjoying it even more (that thing is a thing of beauty with shooters, my god).
It's definitely a solid game on Xbox One, no worries about that, at all.

Frozone

Yet another next-gen graphics title out now! Congrats to the team for incredible GI lighting, impressive shaders, fire, dynamic textures, particle FX (blood sprays, sparks, etc..) and highly detailed enemies! I can't wait to experience Vulkan as I'm hovering in the 30s-40s now on Ultra @ 4k. I get crisp clean rendered images with smooth gameplay.

sueil

Was playing at max settings at around a steady 60 fps... then I get to level 4 Argent Tower... it goes down to 1 fps even if I load another level until I reboot the game. Definitely something fucked about that level.

Justinian

I'll probably pick this up, but the arena thing does have me a bit put off. It made Wofenstein: Old Blood much less enjoyable than the base game. So conflicted.

These arenas feel much more fair and much more fun though. I think it's because regaining health through combat is part of the actual mechanics, rather than having to click to pick up health in Wolfenstein while under a hail of hitscan enemy fire. There are NO hitscan weapons used against you in this game so you ALWAYS have a chance to evade. More importantly you are actually given the tools to deal with any type of threat, whereas Wolfenstein felt more limited in that regard.

Guys, please tell me how are the singleplayer graphics compared to the multiplayer beta? I really wasn't impressed with the multiplayer solely from a graphics point of view.(PS4 or X1)

I have a question

argent facility, where is the lever to pull for the classic map area?! I have been skirting aronud the level for an hour now trying to find it, I know where the room is, but the lever is so fucking well hidden!

Damn you doom and your secrets!

Moff

Guys, please tell me how are the singleplayer graphics compared to the multiplayer beta? I really wasn't impressed with the multiplayer solely from a graphics point of view.(PS4 or X1)

the enivorments aren't very detalied, the feel a bit bland.
the enemies look fantastic though and are extremely well animated, and in 60 FPS I'd definitely call this game a looker

Mdk7

Incredibly better.
Like really, really better... a whole different story IMO.

Justinian

Significantly larger and more detailed levels with amazing atmospheric and material effects. The graphics are absolutely stunning especially considering how well it runs.

So... this probably makes me sound like an idiot, but I can't find the on-of switch. Where the hell is it? D:

nZRtc3e.jpg

Fuuuu what the hell, why is it so slow?

In order to find the switch you've got to take out a small cover over it. It's hidden in the lateral side of one of the base panel, to the right. It's the one with a big circle with 3 small circles inside it.

The statue is a fine piece of work, rruly amazing

In order to find the switch you've got to take out a small cover over it. It's hidden in the lateral side of one of the base panel, to the right. It's the one with a big circle with 3 small circles inside it.

The statue is a fine piece of work, rruly amazing

Found it, thanks.

I'm really impressed with it. I love video game figures and I genuinely feel like this might be one of the best. Glad I went with the CE.

msv

Okay, that foundry level was really cool. Lots of roaming and stuff, that was nice. Still don't like the artificial action scene > doors close thing. Also meh at the cutscenes and the 'voice comms' stuff. That stuff takes me out of the game. But I'm guessing it's better than the amount of intrusive storytelling current day FPSs have regressed to.

Liking the assault rifle a lot. Feels like the shotgun is the new pistol and the assault rifle is the new shotgun, in terms of usability. Plasma I do not like. The projectiles look harmless, it sounds harmless, and it feels like it doesn't do much damage.

Given everything you guys say about singleplayer graphics, I really think those betas they had were not a good idea. I know lots of people who were underwhelmed and were left questioning whether they should get the game or not. How can we spread the word? :)

Mupod

Hopefully it'll finish downloading in time for me to check it out later this afternoon or evening. I'm so damned excited.

Fun, single player first-person shooters have always been my favourite, and I spent hours with DOOM as a kid.

Question: How are you guys finding the difficulty? Should I start on hard if I tend to play most shooters on hard? Also, can you change it at any time?

I typically start shooters on hard, I'm not having any trouble on ultraviolence.

But the checkpoints are pretty bad. I like to backtrack after them and so far almost all my deaths were environmental from me trying to make jumps I wasn't sure about, or one time clipping into an elevator. But in one case I hit a checkpoint, explored the level, then decided to move forward and accidentally blew myself up mid-fight. It reverted me to when I first found the checkpoint, minus certain upgrades that appear to persist independent of saves (praetor points etc).

I didn't know I could pick nightmare but I think I'll stay on this difficulty to avoid as much checkpoint annoyance as possible. It's really easy to make one mistake and die, my only combat death was because I switched to my chainsaw not realizing it was out. I got stuck in its 'out of gas' animation and something hit me for like 60 damage.

How's the level design so far guys?

well I'm only on the third 'level' because I spent so much time exploring the second. I still missed one secret.

It's not a 'doom maze' per se. But there's backtracking and a lot of secret areas, mostly accessed by getting vertical and being observant for small passageways.

Top Bottom