• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Mupod

Who says you are obligated to bitch about the Glory Kills?

And then you proceed to mention they are becoming repetitive.....

I've literally seen people saying they won't give the game a chance because they exist. You yourself keep saying they should be a 'pickup' but they have the chainsaw filling that exact role. They aren't something you do on every enemy because you can - sometimes it's not worth getting close or losing that bit of situational awareness - they're a mechanic you use as needed.

And they're a 'bit' repetitive, presumably because right now I'm in the early game and there's only a few main enemy types. Even with multiple animations from each angle you're going to see the same ones a lot when the enemy forces are mostly imps and those big soldiers. But as a mechanic I have no problem with them. Granted I really like RE4 and RE5 where melee serves a similar role.

epmode

So, reading some comments I guess we are currently in the "fresh game enthusiasm"-phase.

The big thing is that the game isn't actually a pile in spite of months of misguided marketing and word of mouth. Hell, I barely paid attention to the game until I saw that Vulcan demo.

For my part, this doesn't feel like a sequel to Doom 1 or 2 but I'm still really enjoying myself.

Sucks that there isn't any mod support though.

Bedlam

The big thing is that the game isn't actually a pile, in spite of months of misguided marketing and word of mouth.

For my part, this doesn't feel like a sequel to Doom 1 or 2 but I'm still really enjoying myself.
It's certainly good to know that the game isn't crap. I'm still always cautious with first-week-impressions. Usually people overreact to some degree when the game still feels fresh.

Yeah, I just went through the first two stages and while I'm doing worse than I thought I would (maybe I'm finally getting older and slowing down) thankfully I'm nowhere near that bad. Damn.
What difficulty are you playing on?

Really hate that there isnt a single review out for this. Im not buying it until I get some good scores, or hear some very positive gaf impressions.

epmode

Really hate that there isnt a single review out for this. Im not buying it until I get some good scores, or hear some very positive gaf impressions.

Early GAF impressions are very positive. I don't blame you for waiting though.

(BTW, there is a review: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/doom-review-836950?site=classic)

edit: I wonder why they decided to keep the game away from reviewers until launch. While this is getting more common in the last few years, it tends to mean that the publisher isn't confident in the game. Maybe they wanted positive player feedback to influence reviewers?

ekim

Someone here stated that when doing Glory Kills you get Style Points that you can use to get upgrade points... is this unlocked later? (didn't play too far yet)

Arkanius

Didnt you read the thread?
Everyone is praising and loving the game.

How can you get more very positive gaf impressions than this?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
You guys are hyping the shit out of me. MUST NOT BUY YET.

It speaks volumes that I just finished Uncharted on Wednesday, I'm only a quarter of the way through DOOM and DOOM is a contender for GOTY so far.

This game is the real deal, yo.

Justinian

The glory kill animation is repetitive but I definitely think it still adds to the gameplay. I thought id hate the mechanic, but with glory kill highlights turned off, it feels like a nice addition

It definitely ties in very closely with the gameplay. Like someone else said earlier, it encourages players to wade into the middle of hectic fights to gain health, thereby keeping the combat flowing and keeping the player in an offensive state of mind. This is what Halo did so well with it's recharging shield mechanic and weapon swap mechanic - it changed FPS combat from a defensive state (gotta preserve health and ammo) to an offensive one where you're not worried about losing health and you'll never run out of ammo if you keep wading into the fray. Combined with the dynamic enemy classes, it kept combat amazingly fluid at multiple ranges.

It's also similar to the way health globes in Diablo 3 keep the player in the action, and open up risk/reward decisions in heated combat - you gotta get in the midst of things when you're lowest on health.

As far as repetition goes, there is definitely going to be some. The same way that taking out an imp with a shotgun in the original Doom got a bit repetitive by the end (same one shot kill, same death animation). Here you can at least mix up which glory kill you execute based on your position and where you're aiming.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, this is for the most part fucking rad, but what on earth is with the shitty movement!? it feels almost as if my left stick has a massive deadzone which results in extremely jerky movement. little stick movements result in almost no movement, then at 50% tilt its full speed ahead. i cant be the only one hating it, please patch in some acceleration/deadzone tweaking. the right stick aiming feels great, why have the movement so different?

this thread is moving pretty quick, but this got no responses last night and i havent seen a single peep about others noticing the same thing - which is amazing to me sense it feels so awkward. is my movement bugged?

Moff

Someone here stated that when doing Glory Kills you get Style Points that you can use to get upgrade points... is this unlocked later? (didn't play too far yet)

there is a challenge in the second level that gives you 1 upgrade point for doing 5 different glory kills, maybe the user meant that?

apart from that you unlock later a "combat" bar that awards you I think 5 upgrade points the more monsters you kill in a level, but that has nothing to do with glory kills

It's certainly good to know that the game isn't crap. I'm still always cautious with first-week-impressions. Usually people overreact to some degree when the game still feels fresh.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Nightmare, which is supposed to be hard I guess so it makes sense. Kinda want to try ultra-nightmare but it's locked. One level lower felt a little to easy

Bedlam

It speaks volumes that I just finished Uncharted on Wednesday, I'm only a quarter of the way through DOOM and DOOM is a contender for GOTY so far.

I won't lie, despite my scepticism posts like this one are making me want to pick up this game today.

dlauv

this thread is moving pretty quick, but this got no responses last night and i havent seen a single peep about others noticing the same thing - which is amazing to me sense it feels so awkward. is my movement bugged?

I agree somewhat, but it hasn't been a very distracting issue so I've come to ignore it.

iirc, there is a deadzone modifier in the options menu. Does it help with the left stick or only the right?

Who says you are obligated to bitch about the Glory Kills?

And then you proceed to mention they are becoming repetitive.....

Nice post but gutted at the same time.
:-(

I'm not saying don't buy the game because of what I was told by a friend but I think overall this game sounds like it's mainly enjoyable if your tolerance for this kind of gameplay is there and you don't mind this being a Doom game in name mainly. My tastes are too archaic for me to be able to tolerate it based on what he said and the ridiculous art direction has always put me off in the first place.

eshwaaz

But the checkpoints are pretty bad. I like to backtrack after them and so far almost all my deaths were environmental from me trying to make jumps I wasn't sure about, or one time clipping into an elevator. But in one case I hit a checkpoint, explored the level, then decided to move forward and accidentally blew myself up mid-fight. It reverted me to when I first found the checkpoint, minus certain upgrades that appear to persist independent of saves (praetor points etc).
This is definitely a big downer for me. If you're going to pack your game with secret areas (which I love), checkpoint placement/implementation needs to support that and encourage exploration.

ironcreed

Banned
This game is straight up great. Gorgeous, fast and fun. As you would expect, the kind of campaign that you will go back to and play over and over again because it is just a good time.

Mdk7

there is a challenge in the second level that gives you 1 upgrade point for doing 5 different glory kills, maybe the user meant that?

apart from that you unlock later a "combat" bar that awards you I think 5 upgrade points the more monsters you kill in a level, but that has nothing to do with glory kills

It's not the more, I do think it's how you actually kill them.
And i think Glory Kills are a good way to raise that bar a little.

op_ivy

I agree somewhat, but it hasn't been a very distracting issue so I've come to ignore it.

iirc, there is a deadzone modifier in the options menu. Does it help with the left stick or only the right?

i dont recall a deadzone setting, just sensitivity and acceleration - for aiming. i looked all over in the options to adjust movement and there just isnt any. i guess its unlikely to get added in if i'm the only one really unhappy with it :/

thankfully its not much of an issue in combat, where you are zipping around old school style, but exploring the levels feels so bad to me :(

Nice, good to hear!

I have both on my plate and havent even started UC4's SP yet... shit man you've got some serious game-time allowances lol i'm jealous!

Moff

It's not the more, I do think it's how you actually kill them.
And i think Glory Kills are a good way to raise that bar a little.

mhmm could be, but I don't remember the tutorial screen of the combat bar mentioning anything about glory kills.
I think it's just some way to reward to player for killing, something like xp

Freeman76

Didnt you read the thread?
Everyone is praising and loving the game.

How can you get more very positive gaf impressions than this?

Doesnt mean a lot to everybody. It was the same with the division, and many other games that GAF went mental about only to forget a week later. Not saying this is the same or amything, but you have to agree that new game freshness can mean people post positively only to discover 5 levels later they are still doing the exact same thing and it got repetitive

dlauv

i dont recall a deadzone setting, just sensitivity and acceleration - for aiming. i looked all over in the options to adjust movement and there just isnt any. i guess its unlikely to get added in if i'm the only one really unhappy with it :/

thankfully its not much of an issue in combat, where you are zipping around old school style, but exploring the levels feels so bad to me :(

Would altering this help, or is this not on consoles? I know it says "look," but it could flatly apply to both sticks. Good luck.

op_ivy

Doesnt mean a lot to everybody. It was the same with the division, and many other games that GAF went mental about only to forget a week later. Not saying this is the same or amything, but you have to agree that new game freshness can mean people post positively only to discover 5 levels later they are still doing the exact same thing and it got repetitive

gaf impressions >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> professional reviews / metacritic

9 times out of 10 anyways.

Mupod

This is definitely a big downer for me. If you're going to pack your game with secret areas (which I love), checkpoint placement/implementation needs to support that and encourage exploration.

the thing is it does and it doesn't. It won't save your armor and health pickups, but collectibles are saved.

Will be waiting for some reviews. Playing Uncharted right now, plus i would like to get back to Rainbow Six at some point, and then I have Overwatch coming. So for the time being I will wait for the few reviewers I trust.

Mdk7

mhmm could be, but I don't remember the tutorial screen of the combat bar mentioning anything about glory kills.
I think it's just some way to reward to player for killing, something like xp

But it does depend on how you kill monsters, because I replayed a mission (the one in the foundry) in which I didn't get the 5 Shields ranking in the first place and during my second play I did get the perfect ranking... But I'm 100% sure I had killed ALL the creatures also during my first go at that, so I think it does depend on how you actually fight.
It's not explicitly stated though, seems a little obscure.

Kadin

I'm getting the impression a lot more people are happy with this (at launch) than they were with Doom 3 - which I loved immediately. So now I'm not sure what to do...

Bl@de

gaf impressions >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> professional reviews / metacritic

9 times out of 10 anyways.

Yes. But you have to wait for the release day hype to die down. A lot of people hype everything up the first day, only to change the opinion weeks later.

Zukkoyaki

Sounds like it's an extremely gamey game where good controls and pure fun are at the forefront of the experience. Good stuff. That's exactly what I was hoping for from this game!

Nice, good to hear!

I have both on my plate and havent even started UC4's SP yet... shit man you've got some serious game-time allowances lol i'm jealous!
Finished all my final exams with top marks, girlfriend is away from the house for a week, I've got the week off of work, everything just fell into place!

It's a DOOM kind of weekend!

Top Bottom