• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Definitely not a fan of the glory kills, which is what I was afraid off.
I don't mind them as much as I thought I would but I still would have preferred them not being there at all
I don't mind staggering enemies and the extra melee incentive that comes with it, but I dislike how they lock you in place for a second or two forcing you to go through the animations before you regain movement control. should have just been a quick kick or punch when you click the melee button.
I don't understand why they went with this system because it adds nothing and actually breaks up the pace a little. Fortunately the animations are pretty short so it's not a deal-breaker.

That said, movement and aiming/shooting feels really good. I'm enjoying this a lot so far despite some issues.

Tomeru

Question - how do you upgrade the chainsaw? The tutorial tips said I could spend weapon upgrade points on it to increase its capacity, but I don't see it on the screen.

I think it's a suit upgrade, no a weapon one. It lets you carry more ammo for every weapon (dunno if it affects the chainsaw, though logic dictates it should).

this thread is moving pretty quick, but this got no responses last night and i havent seen a single peep about others noticing the same thing - which is amazing to me sense it feels so awkward. is my movement bugged?

I'm playing on ps4 and I didn't notice anything like what you described.

taoofjord

How does the game feel with a controller? Tight deadzone? Good acceleration curve? Will pick this up on PS4 most likely since my PC is staying hooked up to my TV and I don't want to use a controller against keyboard and mouse players in MP.

Arkanius

Definitely not a fan of the glory kills, which is what I was afraid off.
I don't mind them as much as I thought I would but I still would have preferred them not being there at all
I don't mind staggering enemies and the extra melee incentive that comes with it, but I dislike how they lock you in place for a second or two forcing you to go through the animations before you regain movement control. should have just been a quick kick or punch when you click the melee button.
I don't understand why they went with this system because it adds nothing and actually breaks up the pace a little. Fortunately the animations are pretty short so it's not a deal-breaker.

That said, movement and aiming/shooting feels really good. I'm enjoying this a lot so far despite some issues.

i-frames. It allows the player to be IN the fight, regain health, and continue chaining kills.

N-Forced

Neo Member
I'm not saying don't buy the game because of what I was told by a friend but I think overall this game sounds like it's mainly enjoyable if your tolerance for this kind of gameplay is there and you don't mind this being a Doom game in name mainly. My tastes are too archaic for me to be able to tolerate it based on what he said and the ridiculous art direction has always put me off in the first place.
I'm pretty sure there is an option to turn them off in the settings, also I wasn't feeling the art direction in the videos and streams I saw before the game came out, thought it looked like a cartoon, but after loading it up on my rig and actually playing it it looks fine and fits the game well. Also the videos looked like they had the gamma all the way up, on my gaming rig everything is nice, dark, and crisp.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yes. But you have to wait for the release day hype to die down. A lot of people hype everything up the first day, only to change the opinion weeks later.

eh, to each his/her own. i feel like i'm able to identify a game i'm likely to enjoy just from watching lengthy segments of continuous gameplay. doom's single player gameplay looked great before launch and received virtually all positive impressions post launch - none of which contradicted my own opinion spectating it, means i'm in.

plus, you act as if reviews don't buy into release hype. couple that with the rush to get a review out first or on day one and the fact that many reviewers really suck at gaming and well, hopefully you see my point.

From the little I saw streamed last night, the game's levels look a lot bigger and more detailed than I expected. I was afraid that this might be more of a rental.

Okay looks like the impressions are good so far. I will buy this on Steam when I get home. I am actually very interested in the type of maps people make with the snap mode. Totalbiscuit also seemed really impressed last night as well.

Salz01

Man. Just played through the intro and first level. It's totally what I wanted out of a new doom game so far. On ps4 it's silky smooth, looks great and the combat is fun. I even dig the glory kills, I want to do it all the time. On top of it there are secrets, lore, unlockables, upgrades, music gets me pumped.... So far it's an awesome package. Can't wait to dive in and play more.

XaosWolf

Loving the game/gunplay but the checkpoints are bullshit and the mantling is super janky.

And yes those things are very much related.

Moff

I think it adds a lot, glory kills and the chainsaw are what make this games's gameplay special and not mundane like, let's say doom 3's or 90% of the FPS out there.

I need so say I expected to dislike it as well, but playing it I soon understood what those added to the gameplay. tactical depth, countless risk/reward decisions that force you to be more aggressive.

the glory kills are what make this game so much better than I expected.

you can later find a rune that shortens the glory kill animation.

op_ivy

I'm playing on ps4 and I didn't notice anything like what you described.

weird. i cant imagine why more people wouldnt be speaking out about this. perhaps it really is just an issue on my end. i literally cant walk around an environment checking out the details and exploring. i'll try to post a clip later demonstrating it, but not sure how effective it would be about showing the issue without also showing my controller inputs.

Bl@de

eh, to each his/her own. i feel like i'm able to identify a game i'm likely to enjoy just from watching lengthy segments of continuous gameplay. doom's single player gameplay looked great before launch and received virtually all positive impressions post launch - none of which contradicted my own opinion spectating it, means i'm in.

plus, you act as if reviews don't buy into release hype. couple that with the rush to get a review out first or on day one and the fact that many reviewers really suck at gaming and well, hopefully you see my point.

Yes, I see your point and I'm not saying that you personally are just hyping it up. But it happens to a lot of games on GAF. Just look at many early (super positive) impressions for Dragon Age: Inquisition and how that changed (very split opinion overall).

I thought the game looks great wince they revealed it and the PC Gamer videos were great. I'm just waiting for benchmarks^^ And probably a new GPU :(

Edag88

Banned
So what's the campaign like? Is it more straight up shooter stuff like the old days or more cinematic like almost every shooter today?

Wait so about the story

early spoiler:
is doomguy the same person from the first two games? I'm not far in but it's kinda hinted that you went through this stuff before.. or am I Imagining things?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Glory-kill state should allow the player to easily fire an extra shot to kill if choosing to forego the health bonus or risk of performing the fatality. As it stands, enemies take on seemingly an invulnerable state while stunned, as if the game is forcing you to perform the QTE or else the enemy recovers. You can often unload far more ammo into a glory state enemy than it took to stun them in the first place if you just want to remove them from combat from a distance, and this is a serious flaw.

The health bonus and the rush to inflict the QTE is a nice risk/reward for glory kills, especially on the higher difficulty i am playing, but it just feels mismanaged if I also am not being careful to accidentally kill off those stun activations with wasted stray shots when they appear. Should feel like Mortal Kombat, where a whiffed fatality will immediately end the attempt, reckless fire at stunned glory-ready foes should remove my opportunity for health bonuses.

op_ivy

Glory-kill state should allow the player to easily fire an extra shot to kill if choosing to forego the health bonus or risk of performing the fatality. As it stands, enemies take on seemingly an invulnerable state while stunned, as if the game is forcing you to perform the QTE or else the enemy recovers. You can often unload far more ammo into a glory state enemy than it took to stun them in the first place if you just want to remove them from combat from a distance, and this is a serious flaw.

The health bonus and the rush to inflict the QTE is a nice risk/reward for glory kills, especially on the higher difficulty i am playing, but it just feels mismanaged if I also am not being careful to accidentally kill off those stun activations with wasted stray shots when they appear. Should feel like Mortal Kombat, where a whiffed fatality will immediately end the attempt, reckless fire at stunned glory-ready foes should remove my opportunity for health bonuses.

i'm not sure i disagree, but i think its designed this way to encourage constant movement through a battle and explicitly to discourage picking off enemies from afar.

That sounds awful

And everyone was brushing it off as though "you can just turn glory kill prompts" off

i'm not sure i disagree, but i think its designed this way to encourage constant movement through a battle and explicitly to discourage picking off enemies from afar.

But leading individual enemies out of a group or leading them to a choke point and picking off from a distance was a large part of classic doom on the harder difficulties

Delt31

For someone that completely missed everything about MP - can someone give me a quick overview of how it works? Assuming it's a arena style with no killstreaks, etc?

DryvBy

Whew. Doom is a big hit. Good break from my other games.

Has anyone ran into a chainsaw glitch? I can't pick up or use a chainsaw.

Tomeru

weird. i cant imagine why more people wouldnt be speaking out about this. perhaps it really is just an issue on my end. i literally cant walk around an environment checking out the details and exploring. i'll try to post a clip later demonstrating it, but not sure how effective it would be about showing the issue without also showing my controller inputs.

Sounds like what I had with RotTR. Not until I replaced my controller that the lag toned down to the normal levels in that game, couldn't win a gun fight until then. Anyway, maybe try and fiddle with the settings... Or reset them.

op_ivy

But leading individual enemies out of a group or leading them to a choke point and picking off from a distance was a large part of classic doom on the harder difficulties

right, hence the "not sure i disagree". but also worth considering, doom 2016's level design, at least from what i've seen thus far (pretty limited) doesnt really support the scenario you mentioned. they are mostly all fairly open arenas with few if any choke points.

msv

i-frames. It allows the player to be IN the fight, regain health, and continue chaining kills.
Taking control away from the player like makes it less immersive, not more IMO.

Just a semi-related thing: cutscenes, exposition, everything cinematic in a game, is to me like having tons of text in a movie.

Wait so about the story

early spoiler:
is doomguy the same person from the first two games? I'm not far in but it's kinda hinted that you went through this stuff before.. or am I Imagining things?
Answer to the question about who you play as contained within:
yeah, you're DoomGuy from Doom 1, 2 and 64. It's a stealth sequel.

I want this game so bad, but I went months over budget developing my latest game (that released today too), so I can't afford it. Guh, GAF the reception is killing me!

Justinian

You can't expect this game to have every quirk or idiosyncracy of the original. It's a different game that stays true to the spirit of the original games, not a HD reskin.

op_ivy

Sounds like what I had with RotTR. Not until I replaced my controller that the lag toned down to the normal levels in that game, couldn't win a gun fight until then. Anyway, maybe try and fiddle with the settings... Or reset them.

using a newish elite that works flawlessly in other games. in fact, i was able to adjust halo 5's default deadzone from 10% to 0% with no issues. i will try a hard reset of the game, resetting my settings to default and possibly trying to reconfigure, and even trying my other regular pad to see if any of that helps. otherwise, i guess i just adapt to it over time.

right, hence the "not sure i disagree". but also worth considering, doom 2016's level design, at least from what i've seen thus far (pretty limited) doesnt really support the scenario you mentioned. they are mostly all fairly open arenas with few if any choke points.

That's an even bigger turn off for me than the glory kills

Like a lot of people on neogaf said the shadow warrior reboot was awesome, so I bought it. It was super terrible. Basically navigate a level until you come to an open area, then doors magically lock and won't open until all the spammed enemies are dead. It had awful pacing and I hate that style

I feel Wolfenstein the new order avoided this style and was great because of it

Justinian

Taking control away from the player like makes it less immersive, not more IMO.

Just a semi-related thing: cutscenes, exposition, everything cinematic in a game, is to me like having tons of text in a movie.

It's not taking control away from the player. You decide when and how you execute an enemy every time.

I haven't really done many glory kills so far. I've been using the the charge pistol a lot and picking off enemies with headshots (or head explosion blood geyser shots).

Top Bottom