• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

You can't expect this game to have every quirk or idiosyncracy of the original. It's a different game that stays true to the spirit of the original games, not a HD reskin.

They had a choice when making this game to have it be a new IP or call it Doom

If this had been called DemonsGate or something like that, I wouldn't be holding it to the standards or style of the old games

But If you want to take advantage of the perks of digging up an old IP and relying on people's nostalgia for the name and memories associated, you can't be surprised when people want it to be like the original game, maybe even to a T

It's like having your cake and eating it too. Hey we want to use the name to draw in older gamers and people who miss Doom,but it's not fair to criticize thus game, we wanted to make Doom different! Doesn't work like that

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That's an even bigger turn off for me than the glory kills

Like a lot of people on neogaf said the shadow warrior reboot was awesome, so I bought it. It was super terrible. Basically navigate a level until you come to an open area, then doors magically lock and won't open until all the spammed enemies are dead. It had awful pacing and I hate that style

I feel Wolfenstein the new order avoided this style and was great because of it

OT but man i hated the new wolfenstein. definitely the most recent example of gaf impressions (and my own judgment) failing me.

Moff

But leading individual enemies out of a group or leading them to a choke point and picking off from a distance was a large part of classic doom on the harder difficulties

that's true, I played brutal doom up to this week and I tried playing doom16 like that in the beginning.
it was no fun, you need to play doom16 the way it's meant to be played. otherwise you will never like it. luckily, it's amazing fun.

just like wolfenstein:TNO was amazing fun although it didn't play like wolf3d at all.

I didn't like shadow warrior either, doom is on a completely different level.

Ninhead

DOOM has always been a pop rendition of Hell. Lots of pentagrams and blood and meat everywhere but that's mostly it.

The story of DOOM, should you care enough to stop mass-murdering demons long enough to read it, is contained in the codex. You pick them up and can read them at your leisure.

Lore spoiler:
It seems this game occurs in the same timeline as OG DOOM 1/2, your perpetually angry Doomguy was forcefully put into cryo-sleep against his will after saving the world in DOOM 2 and kept around in case UAC needed to break the glass because of an emergency. This implies that DOOM 3, which retells the story of the original DOOM, is an alternate timeline. Anyways that's why the game starts with you suddenly waking up after having been encased in a coffin and your environment suit has been kept in that weird ritual altar. The cult members seem to have been worshiping you like a demi-god or something LOL.

EXACTLY what I hoped for. Can't wait to get home tonight and play.

The only thing I hated about wolfenstein new order was you had to press a button to pick up each piece or ammo, armor, etc

Is it like that in this game?

I want to just be able to run over what I need and have it auto pick up

Jharp

Couldn't find enough players for a game of Domination (the required number is four) after ten minutes of waiting, and couldn't find a full TDM game after that.

This game will have multiplayer legs.

Arkanius

DOOM has always been a pop rendition of Hell. Lots of pentagrams and blood and meat everywhere but that's mostly it.

The story of DOOM, should you care enough to stop mass-murdering demons long enough to read it, is contained in the codex. You pick them up and can read them at your leisure.

Lore spoiler:
It seems this game occurs in the same timeline as OG DOOM 1/2, your perpetually angry Doomguy was forcefully put into cryo-sleep against his will after saving the world in DOOM 2 and kept around in case UAC needed to break the glass because of an emergency. This implies that DOOM 3, which retells the story of the original DOOM, is an alternate timeline. Anyways that's why the game starts with you suddenly waking up after having been encased in a coffin and your environment suit has been kept in that weird ritual altar. The cult members seem to have been worshiping you like a demi-god or something LOL.

But the lore says:

That the suit was found together with the Doom Marine on Hell. And that they don't recognize the material. It sounds that he is something divine instead of the Doom 1 2 Marine.

The only thing I hated about wolfenstein new order was you had to press a button to pick up each piece or ammo, armor, etc

Auto pick up like the old games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

ammo/health/armor is auto pick up

You know that moment in Halo: Combat Evolved, the first time you step onto Halo and you see the world around you and your jaw just kind of dropped?

I had that exact same surreal experience entering (location spoiler)
Hell. Standing there, looking at the gates... That was incredible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

All pickups magnetize to you when nearby.

Woorloog

Banned
Couldn't find enough players for a game of Domination (the required number is four) after ten minutes of waiting, and couldn't find a full TDM game after that.

This game will have multiplayer legs.

Think you picked absolutely wrong time to try the MP. Too early, and most who are playing are probably playing single player.

I could be wrong, of course. Or the MM could be fucked somehow (my expectation for all new games nowadays is that MM doesn't work properly, dunno why...).

witness

So are there any scares in this game like Doom 3? From the limited stuff I've seen it just seems like a classic run and gun shooter and not really horror.

Woorloog

Banned
So are there any scares in this game like Doom 3? From the limited stuff I've seen it just seems like a classic run and gun shooter and not really horror.

No scares in my experience so far (10h in). Some creepy stuff for sure, and some will find the amount of gore unsettling.

Frankly, Doom 1 is more scary and creepy overall. I think it is because the Doomguy in this new Doom feels far more powerful than the one from Doom 1.

Justinian

Well that's a positive and thank you all for answering

You might also like that the pickups are very stylised and colourful. You can easily see at a glance where ammo and health is across a level.

In fact there's so much Doom DNA both small and large that you'll recognise and smile at constantly. Maybe give the game a go and see how you like it?

lazygecko

I decided to get a physical copy instead of buying directly from Steam since it was over $10 cheaper that way, and I also ended up getting a free little cacodemon figure with my purchase. Kind of messed up how much more value I got from something that's way more expensive to manufacture and distribute.

Loving this game so far but my god, my these secrets that I'm missing are driving me crazy. End up staying in a level for 30 minutes after everything's dead just trying to make sure I didn't miss something I can access.

Justinian

I decided to get a physical copy instead of buying directly from Steam since it was over $10 cheaper that way, and I also ended up getting a free little cacodemon figure with my purchase. Kind of messed up how much more value I got from something that's way more expensive to manufacture and distribute.

Ohh is that the Cacodemon stressball? Do you have a photo of it?

Woorloog

Banned
I'm completely surprised by these early impressions, the single player was not on my radar at all

I think Bethesda/Id really dropped the ball on showing the gameplay. They should have shown how things really work and how fast the game really is. Instead, they had a slow player demo arena combat...

Jharp

Think you picked absolutely wrong time to try the MP. Too early, and most who are playing are probably playing single player.

I could be wrong, of course. Or the MM could be fucked somehow (my expectation for all new games nowadays is that MM doesn't work properly, dunno why...).

I just don't see why the PC version doesn't have dedicated servers with a goddamn browser.

Just seems so shortsighted for Doom, of all games. They could have focused their efforts on multiplayer support for the PC and tried to usher in a new Quake/Unreal Tournament style arena shooter.

lazygecko

Ohh is that the Cacodemon stressball? Do you have a photo of it?

_57e7kkt.jpg

Top Bottom