• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Anung

Un Rama
TB just out and increbly positive impressions video for this.

Glad to see everyone in the thread is enjoying this as much as I am. I hope it reviews well.

Rizzi

Wow, the multiplayer is uh.. What's the word I'm looking for..?
Oh right, terrible. The word I'm looking for is terrible.

witness

No scares in my experience so far (10h in). Some creepy stuff for sure, and some will find the amount of gore unsettling.

Frankly, Doom 1 is more scary and creepy overall. I think it is because the Doomguy in this new Doom feels far more powerful than the one from Doom 1.

Thank you for your reply, that is good to hear. I played the shit out of Doom 1 and 2 back in the day. I'll never forget typing Doom into DOS to get the game to load. Man these impressions, had no interest but it's absolutely on my radar now.

Is this a reference to Doom 3?
It reminds me of that famous scene with Pinky and Fat Zombie. http://i.cubeupload.com/T4xn67.jpg
What was the story about that
viking
in hell?!!
Did the vikings go to hell hundreds of years ago?! :D

Any controller imnpressions? I'm sure mosue + keyboard is the bomb, but I'm a comfy couch player.
Controls and shooting is amazing with PS4 controller! the game is really fast, but you can move and kill demons without any problem and enjoy the pace.

epmode

I *really* didn't like the beta and it's mostly unchanged here so I'm sticking with single-player.

Still worth it.

lem0n

Why? And I'm actually curious. My friend is getting it because he thinks its gonna be like Quake or something. Should he be worried?

I'm in it for single, btw

Vitor711

Playing on ultra on PC at 1440p, about 90 minutes into the game.

It moves fast. A lot faster than initial demos suggested. It's kind of hard to avoid a lot of incoming fire so you will take damage but, what impressed me the most wasn't just the movement speed, but the speed of the executions.

Honestly, I was expecting to avoid using them but they're super quick, obscenely varied (there's at least 5 per enemy type so far) and you aren't forced to use them as they only give you health as a bonus - no xp or any nonsense like that.

Hoping the game starts ramping up soon but it's decently challenging, looks great and gets stuck in immediately with barely any cutscenes or pace-breakers. Pleasantly surprised.

Drewfonse

I love that you can change the FOV on consoles. Upped it to 105, not so claustrophobic. What does the chromatic aberration serving actally do?

I love that you can change the FOV on consoles. Upped it to 105, not so claustrophobic. What does the chromatic aberration serving actally do?

Upping the FOV actually makes the game feel more appropriately fast. I have mine at 120 on PC and the game feels a lot more snappy.

Bladelaw

So GAF consensus is SP is pretty good Multiplayer impressions are polarized.

On multiplayer, can you run LAN games or do you need to connect to the internet? I'm one of those who still attend LAN parties. Can you tweak the game modes without mods (remove certain powerups, adjust timers for weapons)? Did they keep the loadout thing from the beta?

Rizzi

Why? And I'm actually curious. My friend is getting it because he thinks its gonna be like Quake or something. Should he be worried?

I'm in it for single, btw

Okay imagine a worse version of Halo with class loadouts, obnoxious taunts, weird damage ranges on weapons, terrible hitboxes, limited (I think? They don't explain them at all.) consumables and no weapon pickups except for the DEMON MODE power up which turns the person that collects it in to a guy that can one shot you.

It's a good thing the single player is super solid.

That's an even bigger turn off for me than the glory kills

Like a lot of people on neogaf said the shadow warrior reboot was awesome, so I bought it. It was super terrible. Basically navigate a level until you come to an open area, then doors magically lock and won't open until all the spammed enemies are dead. It had awful pacing and I hate that style
I feel Wolfenstein the new order avoided this style and was great because of it

Like I said earlier, take it with a grain of salt maybe, but my boy said the game is really heavily reliant on the arena waves and even has mechanics clearly designed around it (pods you have to destroy). He also mentioned the flow being very clearly divided into find secret section and fight sections. We agreed that most people besides our old asses probably don't care but if you're sensitive to that type of shit, it's super obvious according to him.

Also said to quote 'everything looks kind of the same including lower enemy types, no real distinction.'

I'll be sticking to a RedBox rental and will post impressions whenever that happens.

So GAF consensus is SP is pretty good Multiplayer impressions are polarized.

On multiplayer, can you run LAN games or do you need to connect to the internet? I'm one of those who still attend LAN parties. Can you tweak the game modes without mods (remove certain powerups, adjust timers for weapons)? Did they keep the loadout thing from the beta?

SP isn't just pretty good, it's super good. So far, it's Wolf New Order quality, just even more down the oldschool ladder - it's about running, jumping, blasting, and exploring without much story in the way. I mean that in a good way.

epmode

Can you change the difficulty or once you set it initially is that it for the whole game?

I think you can change it at will for the first 3 difficulty levels but Nightmare and Ultra-Nightmare lock the choice in.

I'd consider playing Nightmare if it didn't remove checkpoints. Maybe if cutscenes were skippable.

Seriously, WHY ARE THE CUTSCENES UNSKIPPABLE? Are they skippable after you finish the game once?

gafneo

Banned
So far I have 0 complaints with the game. They seem to get everything right as far as I can tell. The things I don't like by default can easily be tweaked in the menus.

This looks like the proper Quake sequel I've been waiting for nearly 20 years, since they announced Q3A was multi only.

Preordered ages ago, but finally getting legit excited.

Ricker

In the middle of Uncharted 4 still but I decided to rent this on the XBox One since my HDD space is getting tight on my PS4 and my DS4 is kinda shaky with the left analog,and I heard it shows in this game like in Firewatch or Dark Souls,where the movement stutters...theres a 25 bucks less sale starting tomorrow at EBGames,getting a new one....

Anyway,I digress lol...installing now,ill post X1 impressions later but I hear its pretty smooth on there as well.

ironcreed

Banned
In the middle of Uncharted 4 still but I decided to ren this on the XBox One since my HDD space is getting tight on my PS4 and my DS4 is kinda shaky with the left analog,and I heard it shows in this game like in Firewatch or Dark Souls,where the movement stutters...theres a 25 bucks sale starting tomorrow at EBGames,getting a new one....

Anyway,I disgress lol...installing now,ill post X1 impressions later but I hear its preety sweet on there as well.

Looks great and plays like pure silk on Xbox One. Don't worry.

ChuckNyce

Any controller imnpressions? I'm sure mosue + keyboard is the bomb, but I'm a comfy couch player.

I'm playing on PC and alternating between keyboard/mouse and a Dualshock 4 controller trying to find out which I prefer more. Probably blasphemy but I'm kinda preferring the controller a bit more, if only because I can sit back in my chair and relax a little more. You can navigate the weapon wheel pretty quickly when you know where the items are on it, and I kinda prefer having all the keys I need really close on the controller as opposed to stabbing around on the keyboard trying to pull out my chainsaw or throw a grenade (sure this would get eaiser with a bit more time in of course). Playing at the difficulty above normal (Ultra Violence I think) and it works pretty well so far.

TaterTots

Banned

I enjoyed the beta. I was worried about the SP. Apparently people have good early impressions so I bit the bullet and bought it. Should hold me over until Overwatch.

Mupod

the ps4 alpha/beta seriously had me thinking this game was gonna be total shit. I'll give the PC multi another shot but I still expect it to be laughable compared to UT4 (which everyone here on PC should try).

Simo

Well gonna head up to GameStop and double dip to get the CE at lunch but no regrets! Statue looks ace and loving the game. I can't wait to be done with work and jumping back in! lol

Cptkrush

Ordered this and UC4 last night at 9pm, UC4 was estimated to show up today, and this was estimated for Monday. They both turned up at my door at like 8am. Installing now! can't wait to get into this

I've literally seen people saying they won't give the game a chance because they exist. You yourself keep saying they should be a 'pickup' but they have the chainsaw filling that exact role. They aren't something you do on every enemy because you can - sometimes it's not worth getting close or losing that bit of situational awareness - they're a mechanic you use as needed.

And they're a 'bit' repetitive, presumably because right now I'm in the early game and there's only a few main enemy types. Even with multiple animations from each angle you're going to see the same ones a lot when the enemy forces are mostly imps and those big soldiers. But as a mechanic I have no problem with them. Granted I really like RE4 and RE5 where melee serves a similar role.

Fair enough.

It definitely ties in very closely with the gameplay. Like someone else said earlier, it encourages players to wade into the middle of hectic fights to gain health, thereby keeping the combat flowing and keeping the player in an offensive state of mind. This is what Halo did so well with it's recharging shield mechanic and weapon swap mechanic - it changed FPS combat from a defensive state (gotta preserve health and ammo) to an offensive one where you're not worried about losing health and you'll never run out of ammo if you keep wading into the fray. Combined with the dynamic enemy classes, it kept combat amazingly fluid at multiple ranges.

It's also similar to the way health globes in Diablo 3 keep the player in the action, and open up risk/reward decisions in heated combat - you gotta get in the midst of things when you're lowest on health.

As far as repetition goes, there is definitely going to be some. The same way that taking out an imp with a shotgun in the original Doom got a bit repetitive by the end (same one shot kill, same death animation). Here you can at least mix up which glory kill you execute based on your position and where you're aiming.

I'm pretty sure Halo wasn't the the game that changed FPS from a defensive state to an offensive one. In fact, I'd argue that Halo never changed anything. Halo meant you would just wait until you regenerated your health whereas Doom you were 'forced' (if you want) to go and 'get it'.

To me it seems more just keep running and gunning, punching, ripping limbs off than 'encourage you to wade into the middle of hectic fights'. Original Doom was nothing to do with conserving your health - you were in the shit mire and you were tasked with 'fighting' your way out.

Obviously we have differing opinions.

played 2 hours of MP on ps4 last night at 110 FOV with the control scheme that makes L1 jump.... SO GOOD

"Bumper Jumper" is always where it's with these types of games :). Needless to say I have been waiting on a good deal to jump in on the Xbox One version. NewEgg has a deal today for $45 but it is the physical version... I want digital!

SeanNoonan

Played a bit more.

Very positive start.

CiVfM6sWgAABBe6.jpg:large

...and I love how it looks.

Nugg

God fucking damnit, there's only 7 Gb on the PC version retail disc, I need to download the rest. That's like 2 full days with the speeds I get here, and I better not need Internet for anything else. I specifically go physical because of that. Fuck that shit.

God fucking damnit, there's only 7 Gb on the PC version retail disc, I need to download the rest. That's like 2 full days with the speeds I get here, and I better not need Internet for anything else. I specifically go physical because of that. Fuck that shit.
mQHGwQL.jpg

This took me 5 minutes to make.

Onemic

Okay imagine a worse version of Halo with class loadouts, obnoxious taunts, weird damage ranges on weapons, terrible hitboxes, limited (I think? They don't explain them at all.) consumables and no weapon pickups except for the DEMON MODE power up which turns the person that collects it in to a guy that can one shot you.

It's a good thing the single player is super solid.

Yep. The Multiplayer component is that bad. It might as well not even be there tbh.

Hopefully snapmap is better. I might mess around with it tonight.

Top Bottom