• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Played a bit more.

Very positive start.

CiVfM6sWgAABBe6.jpg:large

...and I love how it looks.

can you turn off CA on the console versions? not liking that screenshot

SP isn't just pretty good, it's super good. So far, it's Wolf New Order quality, just even more down the oldschool ladder - it's about running, jumping, blasting, and exploring without much story in the way. I mean that in a good way.

That is exactly what I don't like about it. I get the impression that single player levels look just like multiplayer levels with bots. You jump, you fire, you jump, you fire and so on. And the art direction is horrible. I mean, everything seem to look cartoony and cell-shaded the game does not look scary at all. Doom 3 art direction was on a whole different level.

red731

That is exactly what I don't like about it. I get the impression that single player levels look just like multiplayer levels with bots. You jump, you fire, you jump, you fire and so on. And the art direction is horrible. I mean, everything seem to look cartoony and cell-shaded the game does not look scary at all. Doom 3 art direction was on a whole different level.

That is exactly what I had hoped for!
Still amazed they've pulled it off!

Onemic

That is exactly what I don't like about it. I get the impression that single player levels look just like multiplayer levels with bots. You jump, you fire, you jump, you fire and so on. And the art direction is horrible. I mean, enemies seem to look cartoony and cell-shaded the game does not look scary at all. Doom 3 art direction was on a whole different level.

Its not a big arena if that's what you're thinking. The game is way more open in terms of routes you can take in a given map and secrets you can find vs Doom 3.

I haven't messed with snapmap yet. I don't really even know what snapmap is.

It's their level editor.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also said to quote 'everything looks kind of the same including lower enemy types, no real distinction.'

This I would disagree with, even on the first level alone when you essentially are facing just Imps, possessed soldiers, and well zombies. Maybe on a lower difficulty they feel like nothing but cannon fodder and are imperceptible at the end of your shotgun, but on Ultra-Violence(Hard), you will learn very quickly the stark difference in behavior, combat prowess, and threat each poses.

seph1roth

I wouldnt go that far, yet.
TNO had the best FPS campaign since HL2.
but after the first 4 missions, I think doom might be up there.

Loved TNO campaign, but i like more FPS more focused on level design like Queake, Unreal or Turok 1/2 for example.

Seems like Doom is this kind of game, which is nice because we don't have games like this nowadays.

You might also like that the pickups are very stylised and colourful. You can easily see at a glance where ammo and health is across a level.

In fact there's so much Doom DNA both small and large that you'll recognise and smile at constantly. Maybe give the game a go and see how you like it?

Nice! Early in Uncharted 4
you get that same feeling.
:)

mileS

I'm ALWAYS surprised when a game runs well for me in 4K. This game runs incredibly well for me in 4K, much better than other AAA games I've played the last 2 years in this resolution.

4K is another story. That's completely fine considering how random performance can be at that res. It's the people that are surprised a game is running 60fps with over 4GHz 16gig ram and a 980+ running 1080p.

This game is awesome! But I feel like I've missed a gun somewhere. I am deep into the foundry level and only have the shotgun, machine gun, and chainsaw. I keep seeing ammo that I can't pick up, presumably for a gun I missed. Am I right? What did I miss and where?

Answer to the question about who you play as contained within:
yeah, you're DoomGuy from Doom 1, 2 and 64. It's a stealth sequel.

That's pretty cool. The story in these games isn't a big deal to me but it does add to the atmosphere. Doomguy was/is a badass and I"m glad he's back.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The game is not as silky smooth as some people claim. Even if you've got a good rig equipped with a 390 or 980 or higher, your fps are going to drop substantially in some of the firefights. I've gone from 114 fps @ Ultra settings to 38fps in nearly the blink of an eye.

Justinian

Fair enough.

I'm pretty sure Halo wasn't the the game that changed FPS from a defensive state to an offensive one. In fact, I'd argue that Halo never changed anything. Halo meant you would just wait until you regenerated your health whereas Doom you were 'forced' (if you want) to go and 'get it'.

To me it seems more just keep running and gunning, punching, ripping limbs off than 'encourage you to wade into the middle of hectic fights'. Original Doom was nothing to do with conserving your health - you were in the shit mire and you were tasked with 'fighting' your way out.

Obviously we have differing opinions.

What I mean is that Halo encouraged you to go in more aggressively to engage enemies because you could pull out briefly and be back at full combat potential. Other shooters up until then had health as a resource to be managed not over a short period of an encounter, but over the length of a level. If you waded in with reckless abandon in original Doom, you would come out potentially weaker for the next encounter, thus encouraging the player to be careful rather than daring. Of course as a skilled player you can play Doom with that mindset (and it's infinitely more fun that way), but it is working against the game mechanics.

Look, I love the original Doom games and they were incredibly designed games, but Halo did change the paradigm. For good or for ill is your opinion.

OST is actually suprisingly decent despite my early impressions. It's just too bad the soundmixing feels off becaused you don't really get to appreciate it in the game at all.
It's not really what I want from a Doom OST, but it's not bad on its own.

Justinian

The game is not as silky smooth as some people claim. Even if you've got a good rig equipped with a 390 or 980 or higher, your dos are going to drop substantially in some of the firefights. I've gone from 114 fps @ Ultra settings to 38fps in nearly the blink of an eye.

What are your specs and what resolution are you running at? Also, how far in the game are you talking?

I'm on a 980Ti running highest settings at 1080p and have yet to see any drop below 60.

The game is not as silky smooth as some people claim. Even if you've got a good rig equipped with a 390 or 980 or higher, your dos are going to drop substantially in some of the firefights. I've gone from 114 fps @ Ultra settings to 38fps in nearly the blink of an eye.

gpu util @ 99 % in those moments?

NEO0MJ

Strange question, but is there any nudity in this game?

Also, are console controllers really that bad for it? My laptop can't handle this game and I was thinking of going PS4.

Hey, question for the folks already playing, since I won't be able to get to it until tonight:

With higher difficulty, what changes? AI, damage, numbers of enemies?

I know with the OG Doom the only thing that changed was numbers of enemies (except for nightmare mode, but fuck nightmare). UV felt great there, with I'm too young to die making all the levels feel empty.

Somnia

Brad Shoemaker ‏@bradshoemaker · 3m3 minutes ago

Doom is very good.

Brad Shoemaker ‏@bradshoemaker · 2m2 minutes ago

Waaaay too good to have been held back from press before release, that's for sure.

This, plus impressions in here, plus other twitter accounts makes me think it's going to review pretty well. Multiplayer may drag it's score down some, but ya.

ironcreed

Banned

It is on consoles. It plays like butter at 60fps.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I *never* pay full retail for games, but just pulled the trigger via Steam. Between this and UC4, my gaming fancy has been tickled!

killroy87

Take a look at some direct feed Bloodborne screenshots. That shit is everywhere but the center of the screen. Doom is more subtle with it.

I mean I literally don't see what people are referring to. People post a generic screenshot and talk about how it's littered with CA, and I look at the same screen and have zero idea what they're referring to.

Curious when the reviews will start rolling in. User reviews are very positive as of now.
I don't know about multiplayer, but singleplayer is really great.
I think only Doom 3 fans will be angry about it. It's more like classic ones and gamers/reviewer who liked 3 more than 1 and 2 won't be happy with this.

Chiggs

Gold Member
What are your specs and what resolution are you running at? Also, how far in the game are you talking?

I'm on a 980Ti running highest settings at 1080p and have yet to see any drop below 60.

Core i7 4790k
16 gigs of DDR3
Radeon 390x (factory overclock)

Game is set at Ultra at 1080p. I'm 5 levels in.

Genio88

How is the campaign? has it a story and does it open up a bit more or it takes place only inside that underground? I'm not interested at all in multiplayer so i'd like to know that befor buying it on PC

Sounds like something on your end. I have a 970 and I have a consistently high framerate at Ultra on a ultra wide 1440p screen.

ghibli99

Take a look at some direct feed Bloodborne screenshots. That shit is everywhere but the center of the screen. Doom is more subtle with it.
I think in the context of Bloodborne's story/setting, it actually make sense to have CA. In other games, maybe not so much. I just don't get the freaking out and meltdowns about it, although I do think it's funny that in the photographic world, CA is mostly terrible, but it's become a common feature/filter in games. :)

dlauv

I mean I literally don't see what people are referring to. People post a generic screenshot and talk about how it's littered with CA, and I look at the same screen and have zero idea what they're referring to.

Red/blue tinting on the outlines of everything. In best case scenarios it causes a naturalistic-ish blur. In worst case scenarios, like Bloodborne, it's distracting and makes the game look messy.

Here's a vid.

My favorite shooters of the past 10ish years are:

Half Life 2
Bioshock
COD 4 MW
Far Cry 3
Crysis
Portal 2
Bioshock Infinite
Wolfenstein TNO
Resistance 3
Killzone 2

Based off of early impressions would anyone say it fits among that list? If so, where?

Top Bottom