• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Wow, the multiplayer is uh.. What's the word I'm looking for..?
Oh right, terrible. The word I'm looking for is terrible.

I continue to get more and more excited for the campaign, but the multiplayer beta really was terrible and I dont expect it to be any different now.

With a few tweaks it could at least be sort of fun popcorn. Add Mick's doomtunes to the match, replace the announcer with someone badass, increase the default run speed considerably.
It has deeper gameplay problems that would require more study but those surface changes would take it a long way.

It was amazing how much better the multiplayer instantly felt after getting the speed powerup. They need to make default closer to that, and make the powerup ludicrous speed.

The game is not as silky smooth as some people claim. Even if you've got a good rig equipped with a 390 or 980 or higher, your fps are going to drop substantially in some of the firefights. I've gone from 114 fps @ Ultra settings to 38fps in nearly the blink of an eye.

By most accounts the 970 can run this thing like a dream, but I've noticed varying results depending on the CPU.

It may be that this game is CPU heavy. What you got?

Onemic

That was funny as hell.

The horrible art direction is a huge turn off for me though.

I think the art direction is better than Doom 3's as well *shrug*

Environments are far more varied and less samey vs Doom 3(It's still an id game though). Outdoor areas actually look decent. The first map alone has more varied environments and art direction than 3's endless metal hallways.

Great to see the positive impressions. They count more to me than the reviews and I'll be picking this game up for sure. I remember seeing the middling reviews for Wolfenstein and being put off, but then the impressions on here sold me and the game and its sequel/expansion are my favourites of this gen.

Anung

Un Rama
How is the campaign? has it a story and does it open up a bit more or it takes place only inside that underground? I'm not interested at all in multiplayer so i'd like to know that befor buying it on PC

Campaign is killer. Story is none-existant in a good way. There's codex files you pick up that adds some flavour text to the world. The mission variety is pretty good some levels take place on the mars installation but each level has a unique theme (medlab, foundry) others take place on the face of mars and obviously hell.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Didnt you read the thread?
Everyone is praising and loving the game.

How can you get more very positive gaf impressions than this?
If a game like Devil's Third can get early positive impressions, then any game can and thus it's best to take said impressions with a grain of salt.

dlauv

Based off of early impressions would anyone say it fits among that list? If so, where?

It's about as good as Wolfenstein:TNO. A more or less/more and less kind of scenario. It has some of the scenic, roaming elements of the original Bioshock too but the atmosphere isn't as despondent. Very loose comparison, that.

Onemic

I continue to get more and more excited for the campaign, but the multiplayer beta really was terrible and I dont expect it to be any different now.

With a few tweaks it could at least be sort of fun popcorn. Add Mick's doomtunes to the match, replace the announcer with someone badass, increase the default run speed considerably.

It has deeper problems that would require more study but those changes would take it a long way.

The MP really shouldve been focused on deathmatch arena gameplay. You'd think from the gameplay present in the SP that this would be a no brainer. I dont know why they turned it into some COD-esque team based multiplayer.

Profanity

The bit after the intro sequence where you emerge on Mars, the pounding music ends and you cock your shotgun at the end of the beat put the biggest goddamn smile on my face. Game is great.

mileS

Core i7 4790k
16 gigs of DDR3
Radeon 390x (factory overclock)

Game is set at Ultra at 1080p. I'm 5 levels in.

The curse of AMD being completely shit with drivers and 2 steps behind strikes again? I know I'm exaggerating but more often than not is it AMD's fault.

Is it just me or the guns feel really, really weak?

I'm very near the beginning though, on Ultra-Violence. Am I just playing the wrong difficulty?

PC version.

ISee

PS4 performance seems to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6wLvhWZoOE

nxdoom42cjbd.png

scitek

The MP really shouldve been focused on deathmatch arena gameplay. You'd think from the gameplay present in the SP that this would be a no brainer. I dont know why they turned it into some COD-esque team based multiplayer.
Is there no free-for-all? Even CoD has that.

Onemic

I'm very near the beginning though, on Ultra-Violence. Am I just playing the wrong difficulty?

PC version.

Shotty will one shot if you're close enough. It just has really wide spread. the pistol is weak unless you use its alt fire and charge it, then it one shots most of the early enemies if you headshot. The secondary fire for the shotty once you get it is pretty powerful.

Overall the shotty feels more powerful than Doom 3 and less powerful than Doom 1/2

Is there no free-for-all? Even CoD has that.

No FFA to speak of. Only team based multiplayer modes like team deathmatch.

Picked this up today. Probably won't get much time to play it this weekend but the impressions in this thread have me very excited. Rip and tear 2016.

ironcreed

Banned

PC version.

No, it really just feels like DOOM. Albeit on steroids running on modern hardware. If anything, this is how I feel while playing:

crab-most-muscular-bodybuilding-pose1.jpg

Man, I'm really enjoying this despite some small isues that I have with it.
Really was't expecting this, I thought it looked like rubish before watching that nvidia video yesterday.
I'm really glad I took a gamble with this. I think this might actually beat Stellaris for my goty so far, which is shocking because I love that game.

I'd give it like a 9 or a 9.5 even so far. That said, I'm only a couple of stages into the game so things could change.

My favorite shooters of the past 10ish years are:

Half Life 2
Bioshock
COD 4 MW
Far Cry 3
Crysis
Portal 2
Bioshock Infinite
Wolfenstein TNO
Resistance 3
Killzone 2

Based off of early impressions would anyone say it fits among that list? If so, where?

Based on my experience, Doom on a gameplay level blows them all out of the water. It's a pure experience with its mechanics, nothing gets in your way. Upgrading is super fun, there's a lot of variety, it's old school sprawling level design in he modern day. It's basically the anti thesis to all those games besides maybe bioshock.

*sigh* I just caved in and bought this literally 5 minutes ago. On my way home now...

Yeah, I was on the fence until about two days ago and said fuck it and pre-ordered off GMG. I'm glad the impressions are so positive for the SP, can't wait to dig into it tonight.

I was going to hold off on this as I'm getting Overwatch for my FPS fix, but goddamn these impressions are making me seriously reconsider.

Not gonna lie, that video about the soundtrack is helping a lot too. Sounds so good...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm three hours in, and loving it. My gut says its overwhelming simplicity is a result of a project that went through many iterations and was stuck in development hell for so long, and when they finally settled on this vision it was very much a case of sensible asset reuse and keeping the production scope limited to prevent millions being poured into scripted cutscenes and what-not. That's what The New Order has that this doesn't. It's a beautiful game, but it's also not extending its reach in production beyond more or less having you run through areas and blow the hell out of bad dudes.

And that simplicity really has worked in its favour. Even on a design level so far all I'm doing, for most levels, is running to objective markers and blowing up a thing. Or in most cases exploring the map to find gore pods and fighting the subsequent waves. Where The New Order had a lot of different pieces going for it in terms of vision and production (story, linear pacing, combat, characters, specific set pieces, etc), and was more reminiscent of Half-Life 2 in structure, DOOM lives and dies on the simple gameplay loop of shooting shit in the face. More or less every facet of the game is structured around this; the level design is not really labyrinth, but open enough to make some fun combat zones and transitions between areas, with flexibility in exploring for armour, upgrades, and ammo. Every objective exists to trigger encounters. And the game is heavily paced around rewarding you for how you perform in encounters. The visuals, music, pacing of the narrative, and so forth; it's almost all built entirely around encounter-to-encounter and just killing stuff.

Thankfully that just killing stuff is tons and tons and tons of fun. Maybe some won't like it when the arena fights kick in, but to me they're largely the point of these games. It's frustrating in those linear, narrative driven games because they play best when you're moving from set piece to set piece, making real progress. Here it works, much like an arena shooter; you activate an objective, you're locked in an area, and you kill all the enemies. It's an arena/wave fight, but given the game is built entirely around combat, they exist to highlight and challenge those core game systems.

In short; I was going to buy Uncharted 4 this weekend but I'm not going to bother because I'd rather get through this instead. Hitting all the right notes for me.

mnannola

I'm really surprised at the positive reactions this is getting. Makes me happy.

For those playing the SP, how does it compare to the recent Shadow Warrior?

I'm three hours in, and loving it. My gut says its overwhelming simplicity is a result of a project that went through many iterations and was stuck in development hell for so long, and when they finally settled on this vision it was very much a case of sensible asset reuse and keeping the production scope limited to prevent millions being poured into scripted cutscenes and what-not. That's what The New Order has that this doesn't. It's a beautiful game, but it's also not extending its reach in production beyond more or less having you run through areas and blow the hell out of bad dudes.

And that simplicity really has worked in its favour. Even on a design level so far all I'm doing, for most levels, is running to objective markers and blowing up a thing. Or in most cases exploring the map to find gore pods and fighting the subsequent waves. Where The New Order had a lot of different pieces going for it in terms of vision and production (story, linear pacing, combat, characters, specific set pieces, etc), and was more reminiscent of Half-Life 2 in structure, DOOM lives and dies on the simple gameplay loop of shooting shit in the face. More or less every facet of the game is structured around this; the level design is not really labyrinth, but open enough to make some fun combat zones and transitions between areas, with flexibility in exploring for armour, upgrades, and ammo. Every objective exists to trigger encounters. And the game is heavily paced around rewarding you for how you perform in encounters. The visuals, music, pacing of the narrative, and so forth; it's almost all built entirely around encounter-to-encounter and just killing stuff.

Thankfully that just killing stuff is tons and tons and tons of fun. Maybe some won't like it when the arena fights kick in, but to me they're largely the point of these games. It's frustrating in those linear, narrative driven games because they play best when you're moving from set piece to set piece, making real progress. Here it works, much like an arena shooter; you activate an objective, you're locked in an area, and you kill all the enemies. It's an arena/wave fight, but given the game is built entirely around combat, they exist to highlight and challenge those core game systems.

In short; I was going to buy Uncharted 4 this weekend but I'm not going to bother because I'd rather get through this instead. Hitting all the right notes for me.

Fuckin' a!

bathsalts

Better than Shadow Warrior imo so far, I'm a big fan of Shadow Warrior reboot too, thought it was far better than Wolf TNO. Doom adds the vertical element that never existed in the SW reboot.

ironcreed

Banned

Well said, good sir. It is one of the best pure shooters, with no fluff to come along in quite awhile. That sense of being just plain fun and infinitely replayable, with no bullshit to drag it down is what makes it so strong. Not to mention the fact that it is outright beastly in how it handles that more straight forward and old school design. It's just incredibly well done.

I think the art direction is better than Doom 3's as well *shrug*

Environments are far more varied and less samey vs Doom 3(It's still an id game though). Outdoor areas actually look decent. The first map alone has more varied environments and art direction than 3's endless metal hallways.

I am not really talking about the variety of the environments. I am lazy so I'll just quote this post from reddit. I agree with this.

NosferatuCalled said:
The issue with their art direction is that it doesn't seem to respect the original art direction very much as actually being quite fucked-up and creepy at the time of its release. Based on some of their interviews, they view the original art direction through a modern lens instead of getting to the bottom of its original intent and trivializing it as some sort of Brutal Legend cartoon style, which it absolutely was not in its heyday. That was the beauty of Doom back then, it was insanely action-packed and tactical but creepy and eerie at the same time.

The original style was heavily influenced by H.R. Giger, look him up if you're not familiar with him, and there is nothing cartoonish and silly about his art.

I personally think that PSX Doom and Final Doom were the logical continuation with its extremely unsettling sound design and John Romero agreed in interviews back then (sorry I don't have the sources or anything, just remember it).

It's a shame none of this seems to be considered at all and instead they've opted for essentially a Serious Sam style game.

ironcreed

Banned

I played about half of Shadow Warrior and kind of lost interest, but it was fun. This is in another league in terms of production, enemy encounters and level design.

naib

Collector's and normal edition are 20% off at Fry's today w/ promo code.

Quote for promo code. Not sure if it can be used more than once but I'm not using it.

lazygecko

The campaign in itself is great so far, but I'm having the same frustrating issues with modern FPS games in that it's not very "readable" because the graphics aren't functional enough. I'm having difficulties making out stuff like exploding barrels from the rest of the environment which has caused a lot of stupid deaths and unnecessary loss of health. Not to mention that the general feedback from losing health is virtually nonexistent.

I feel like I'm the only one who ever complains about this kind of stuff.

I've also encountered a really weird issue with grenades. No idea if this is a glitch or something. Having them bound to CTRL was really unintuitive so I rebound it to G, but after doing that I flat out haven't been able to throw any grenades. And when I went back to the key binding options to double check, the grenade option is in fact gone. No clue what's going on here.

seph1roth

Btw, snap map is only focused on multiplayer? Because if someone recreates the original Doom 1/2 with this tool, that would be awesome.

Top Bottom