• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Btw, snap map is only focused on multiplayer? Because if someone recreates the original Doom 1/2 with this tool, that would be awesome.

I dont think anything is stopping you from playing alone. Saw more than one person play alone during previews.

In fact I think the game comes with a recreation of an old Doom level as a snapmap demo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't play until tomorrow :(

I just saw that Polygon footage though. LOL

It looks like they're playing with RE1 tank controls. Do we know who at Polygon that was?

My favorite shooters of the past 10ish years are:

Half Life 2
Bioshock
COD 4 MW
Far Cry 3
Crysis
Portal 2
Bioshock Infinite
Wolfenstein TNO
Resistance 3
Killzone 2

Based off of early impressions would anyone say it fits among that list? If so, where?

If you took the level design of wolfenstein and meshed it with a coke-fuelled resistance, that's where you are. But add in a FUCKTON of secrets. And then make it faster still.

It's very good.

rashbeep

Banned
I'm honestly surprised at the really positive reactions. I think a lot of that had to do with 90% of the footage released looking really bland. The MP beta didn't help things.

I can't play until tomorrow :(

I just saw that Polygon footage though. LOL

It looks like they're playing with RE1 tank controls. Do we know who at Polygon that was?

Probably the same person who demoed the 36 minutes of RUINER. :p

Is the single player worth the purchase? I tried out a few matches of MP beta but I couldn't really get into it.

seph1roth

The first problem i had with the MP beta was the music and the rocket launcher.

No music in MP was garbage, specially for Doom.

And the rocket launcher was useless, if you compare it with other modern shooters or even Quake 3/Live.

dogen

The campaign in itself is great so far, but I'm having the same frustrating issues with modern FPS games in that it's not very "readable" because the graphics aren't functional enough. I'm having difficulties making out stuff like exploding barrels from the rest of the environment which has caused a lot of stupid deaths and unnecessary loss of health. Not to mention that the general feedback from losing health is virtually nonexistent.

I feel like I'm the only one who ever complains about this kind of stuff.

This bothers me a lot too. Not many modern games bother making things instantly recognizable. TF2 was great at this, I have no idea why they ignored it with CS:GO.

I also hate when there's not enough damage feedback. There was some other game I played a couple of days ago where it was just not there. Don't remember what it was but it definitely didn't help me play.

Anyway, I'm still really skeptical. I like the originals a lot and still play them regularly, so I know I'm gonna notice all the differences in feel and anything that I don't like is just gonna make me want to go back to the old ones.

Run-M-Run

I'm finding this very good on many levels, however few things that stick out to me:

The flow of movement is really quick, maybe too quick. Also glory kills are a must on ultra-violence, there is no way around it, something I'm not too fond of.
The monster designs so far are just blah blah BLAH. Imps especially.. personally I liked doom3 designs.
The weapons could be a bit smaller too.
The story is weaksauce. Doom3's main story wasn't great either but the PDA's were absolutely awesome, I miss them.

Regardless of those I am eager to play more and see how it holds up.

N-Forced

Neo Member
Anyone else having issues with this game showing up your steam list? Just noticed the game isn't even showing up for me in my recent played list or in my game list, it is however showing in my library. Also clicking on the achievement page from the steam overlay takes me to my profile. Not really a huge deal but I just found it weird.

roytheone

Up to 4 players in snapmap.

Yes, up to 4 players

latest

I played doom 3 with a friend in coop using a mod, if you can do something similar here I am in!

Ninhead

They really need to make it so that you can preload updates on consoles. Don't get home until 6, and then have to update the copy that UPS is delivering today. There's got to be a better way.

Ricker

People wherent kidding about how smooth it runs on the X1,damn...but the default setting for the controller are like really fast for the horizontal or something,its like its not quite the usual L/R Halo type movement or something lol...I looked like the guy in the Polygon video for a few seconds there,going to have to play around with it...

Brizzo24

Since I'm poor I reserved it on Red Box, and am going to pick it up in a few minutes. I'm looking forward to both the campaign and the multiplayer--since I never had a chance to try out the BETA.

I'm a huge Doom fan, and it would take a lot to fuck this franchise up. I'm also glad to see some positive reactions in here.

ironcreed

Banned
People wherent kidding about how smooth it runs on the X1,damn...but the default setting for the controller are like really fast for the horizontal or something,its like its not quite the usual L/R Halo type movement or something lol...I looked like the guy in the Polygon video for a few seconds there,going to have to play around with it...

Yeah, it plays like fucking liquid. It took me a bit to adjust to how fast and fluid it is as well.

ChanMan

It is kind of awesome that so many of the first person shooters I grew up playing with my Dad as a kid have came back around. I loved the last Wolfenstein and all we need now is a new Quake. :)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ah screw the reviews. The sheer positivity in here crushed my reticence. Bought it. Now to wait until my PSN download finishes in 3 years.

Top Bottom