• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

MrBlonde

These positive impressions are killing me since I might not have time to play this until Sunday night, I have both kids this weekend and a new puppy so we'll see how it goes

Du2andal

Banned
Oh man, I figured people were exaggerating about that Polygon video but wow. WOW. This is the Halo superfan that has presumably spent a whole hell of a lot of time playing shooters?

PS4 performance seems to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6wLvhWZoOE

nxdoom42cjbd.png

And it fucking shows. This is so goddamn smooth on PS4. Like nothing I have ever played in recent years.

Started making a survival map, started just turning into a standard co-op map, hopefully the game lets me just change the mode without having to rebuild the map!

Is there going to be a SnapMap thread? I'd make one but I'm heading out to work. I'm gonna end up spending way more time in SnapMap than any other mode.

I'm so lost in the second level. I just activated the satellite and now I'm just running around aimlessly. found the
plasma rifle
though so it was worth it.

Is snap map a fully featured complex map maker like far cry?

Or a lame tile based simple one like timesplitters used to have?

from what I could tell it looks like a cross between the timesplitters map maker and Halo's forge. you snap the map tiles together, then you can go into 1st person view to place enemies, doodads, what have you.

Edit: and you take that back about timesplitters' mapmaker, that thing was great. D:

Raptor

I'm three hours in, and loving it. My gut says its overwhelming simplicity is a result of a project that went through many iterations and was stuck in development hell for so long, and when they finally settled on this vision it was very much a case of sensible asset reuse and keeping the production scope limited to prevent millions being poured into scripted cutscenes and what-not. That's what The New Order has that this doesn't. It's a beautiful game, but it's also not extending its reach in production beyond more or less having you run through areas and blow the hell out of bad dudes.

And that simplicity really has worked in its favour. Even on a design level so far all I'm doing, for most levels, is running to objective markers and blowing up a thing. Or in most cases exploring the map to find gore pods and fighting the subsequent waves. Where The New Order had a lot of different pieces going for it in terms of vision and production (story, linear pacing, combat, characters, specific set pieces, etc), and was more reminiscent of Half-Life 2 in structure, DOOM lives and dies on the simple gameplay loop of shooting shit in the face. More or less every facet of the game is structured around this; the level design is not really labyrinth, but open enough to make some fun combat zones and transitions between areas, with flexibility in exploring for armour, upgrades, and ammo. Every objective exists to trigger encounters. And the game is heavily paced around rewarding you for how you perform in encounters. The visuals, music, pacing of the narrative, and so forth; it's almost all built entirely around encounter-to-encounter and just killing stuff.

Thankfully that just killing stuff is tons and tons and tons of fun. Maybe some won't like it when the arena fights kick in, but to me they're largely the point of these games. It's frustrating in those linear, narrative driven games because they play best when you're moving from set piece to set piece, making real progress. Here it works, much like an arena shooter; you activate an objective, you're locked in an area, and you kill all the enemies. It's an arena/wave fight, but given the game is built entirely around combat, they exist to highlight and challenge those core game systems.

In short; I was going to buy Uncharted 4 this weekend but I'm not going to bother because I'd rather get through this instead. Hitting all the right notes for me.

Exactly what I want!!!

Yes!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm so lost in the second level. I just activated the satellite and now I'm just running around aimlessly. found the
plasma rifle
though so it was worth it.
Go jump around on the crane in that open area. I think that's where you're at. Getting lost is awesome, though.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I know I must sound like a broken record but DAMN THAT ALTERNATE COVER IS AWESOME.

I can't wait for someone to sell a print of it..

I think we're going to need a separate SnapMap OT.
It's fairly in-depth and would do well to have that information in one place.

It supports solo, co-op and deathmatch (up to 4 players).
It also has matchmaking!
You can make your own lobbies for DM and there are search filters in the matchmaking that will let you find different game types.

There is some really cool stuff in there.
Check out SnapMap if you haven't yet and take a good look at the different options available.

The Plasma Rifle

Ok thanks. I just watched a video that shows the location.

Man, I feel like this is a super important detail that I'm going to have some serious anxiety over. If you miss a weapon, is there any way to go back and get it? Or will they provide it elsewhere if you missed it the first time? It's going to be really easy to miss weapons if they are just laying around and I'm zipping around the maps with the speed I have.

I think we're going to need a separate SnapMap OT.
It's fairly in-depth and would do well to have that information in one place.

It supports solo, co-op and deathmatch (up to 4 players).
It also has matchmaking!
You can make your own lobbies for DM and there are search filters in the matchmaking that will let you find different game types.

There is some really cool stuff in there.
Check out SnapMap if you haven't yet and take a good look at the different options available.

Could you in theory make a solo offline map with enemy spawners and create horde mode levels?

Stoze

These early impressions are really convincing me. Now I just want to know what a good recommended difficulty is for playing for the first time, which may take people finishing the game first.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Really fun so far as arena shooters go, reminds of UT3, but Pleeeeeeeeeeeease id fix the weapon sounds! No impact at all and so important in a game like this.

Simo

I didn't play the beta; what's the issue with the MP that's making the reception range from luke-warm to outright disappointment?

My issue and love/hate with it was that the weapon damage felt inconsistent. Like it felt like 3-4 rockets were needed to kill another player with the Rocket Launcher or damage done by the Super Shotgun required a few rounds when ideally it shouldn't given the weapon.

I don't mind the loadouts and being the demon and doing Glory Kills on other players was satisfying even though at the time I didn't really understand the mechanics of it. Of course objective based modes sucked because the majority of players want to play deathmatch rather than capturing and holding a objective but thats an issue with all MP games.

So I had some really good rounds and some really bad. If they fixed the weapon feedback and damage then I'd be totally happy. I haven't played MP yet in the final game so I'm curious if anything has been addressed.

Karak

Anyone having trouble launching the game? It's stuttering at a frame per second on the Bethesda intro videos.

there is a code earlier in the thread on how to skip those. Lots of people had that.

Really fun so far as arena shooters go, reminds of UT3, but Pleeeeeeeeeeeease id fix the weapon sounds! No impact at all and so important in a game like this.

Hmm they come across ok in my analyzer. Though the shotty doesn't dip as low as I would like. And the handgun. I am not even sure whats up there

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone having trouble launching the game? It's stuttering at a frame per second on the Bethesda intro videos.

Just let it sit, it happened to me, but after sitting there for like a minute maybe two the menu came up and everything was fine.

Top Bottom