• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Jebral

I spent my time with this last night playing the campaign.... And now I have a serious, serious desire to dive into snapmap! Stuck at work now, and I will be going out to see Captain America afterwards. Ugh, the wait!

I'm dying to know how broad (or not) snapmap is. Everyone wants classic level recreations, I wonder if that's even possible? Only 10 or 11 hours before I can find out. Damnit.

Karak

I spent my time with this last night playing the campaign.... And now I have a serious, serious desire to dive into snapmap! Stuck at work now, and I will be going out to see Captain America afterwards. Ugh, the wait!

I'm dying to know how broad (or not) snapmap is. Everyone wants classic level recreations, I wonder if that's even possible? Only 10 or 11 hours before I can find out. Damnit.

I have spent many hours with it. Its absolutely possible to do some of the classic levels for sure.

jet1911

Game is really good. I like all the upgrades and how most of that stuff is linked with all the secrets throughout the levels. Makes exploring really rewarding and fun. Combat is great, weapons are fun to use and the weapons mods are usefull. Great music too.

Marvel

could never
People wherent kidding about how smooth it runs on the X1,damn...but the default setting for the controller are like really fast for the horizontal or something,its like its not quite the usual L/R Halo type movement or something lol...I looked like the guy in the Polygon video for a few seconds there,going to have to play around with it...

Yeah, it plays like fucking liquid. It took me a bit to adjust to how fast and fluid it is as well.

Forgive my ignorance... but is the Xbox version the best console wise? I'm picking up a copy soon and not sure which to get PS4 or Bone.

Smoother fps?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
In love with this game GAF.

*small story spoilers*

I fuckin love how there are holograms around the UAC facility of what I'm assuming is some sort of faith counselor or something. Asking you if you've been practicing your faith and how he will talk about Hell Energy and shit lol. Cracks me up.

In love with this game GAF.

*small story spoilers*

I fuckin love how there are holograms around the UAC facility of what I'm assuming is some sort of faith counselor or something. Asking you if you've been practicing your faith and how he will talk about Hell Energy and shit lol. Cracks me up.

The completely nonchalant way the UAC are obviously shady as fuck is so funny haha

Man I love the Hell music. Dem cymbals.

Also the totally organic way they managed to do those Skull switches from Doom is so good.

Forgive my ignorance... but is the Xbox version the best console wise? I'm picking up a copy soon and not sure which to get PS4 or Bone.

Smoother fps?

PS4 version is better.

PS4 performance seems to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6wLvhWZoOE

nxdoom42cjbd.png

Digital Foundry

Tecnniqe

Banned
Games pretty cool but ive had 2 CTDs in 2 hours.
That combined with shit checkpoint system really grind my gears as it puts my progression far back, especially when im finding secrets.

psychotron

Games pretty cool but ive had 2 CTDs in 2 hours.
That combined with shit checkpoint system really grind my gears as it puts my progression far back, especially when im finding secrets.

Secrets don't save if you haven't hit a checkpoint? Blah. I'm no fan of spaced out checkpoints, but if you keep collectibles/secrets I'm okay with it. Shit, even Dark Souls lets you keep the loot, lol.

Drewfonse

Someone just mentioned the
plasma rifle
on level 2. Didn't see that. I'm not finding any of the secrets. If you miss a weapon pick up, do they have mercy on you and introduce it again at some point, or is it lost unless you replay a chapter?

Game is amazing, so fluid and fun. And challenging on Ultra Violence. I have had to replay some scenarios 6-7 times. Still trying to break the cover shooter/ADS mindset.

On the fence? Get it!

Feeroper

It's probably already been mentioned, but did anyone see the awesome alternate art on the flip side of the boring cover? It's amazing!

Cant wait to get home and play this game!

DMTripper

Bought into the hype and bought the PC version this evening, really looking forward to the campaign :-D

Will there be any kind of modding, or just the snap map?

Smoother fps?

I've got a pretty powerful gaming rig with an i7 4790 and a 970 but picked it up on Xbox instead because friends are playing on it. Runs fine, there are a couple of drops here and there but nothing hugely noticeable (4 or 5 levels in). Looks fantastic and it's so much fun that even if the drops were any more noticeable, I wouldn't give a shit :)

EDIT: Go with your preferred controller, if you have an elite controller for the Xbox then it's an easy decision as jumping and aiming comfortably at the same time is so easy with it!

Lan Dong Mik

The completely nonchalant way the UAC are obviously shady as fuck is so funny haha

Man I love the Hell music. Dem cymbals.

Also the totally organic way they managed to do those Skull switches from Doom is so good.

Haha exactly!! Really love the spin on that.

Got to Hell last night and that music definitely kicks up a notch big time!! I was fuckin bobbin my head trying to fight off demons and ton of other evil shit, trying to listen to the music at the same time. lol so good.

Akoi

I couldn't hold myself back, the thought of another great singleplayer FPS like wolfenstien got the best of me and I just had to buy it.

I'm a sucker for great single player old school feeling fps games.

ISee

Quote from a loading screen. Watch out there is a DOOM story spoiler below...
(just in case somebody really cares...)

Samuel Hayden, a survivor and Head of the Mars facility has offered you his help, if you need it. You don't. You just need ammo and a way to stop the meltdown before it tears the base apart.

I seriously laughed.

schaft0620

The UAC Edition from Best buy is weird, the season pass comes on the receipt, the pre-order bonus comes in the case and it has both a Steelbook and the regular case. $85 after GCU.

VZej0yB.jpg

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Was correct in my prediction like Wolfenstein awesome game. But feedback noise from guns is shocking shit. Shotgun sounds shit like in Wolfenstein

Other than that its living up to what i expected. N awesome single player shooter and shouldn't of had multiplayer added on

Lan Dong Mik

Quote from a loading screen. Watch out there is a DOOM story spoiler below...
(just in case somebody really cares...)

Samuel Hayden, a survivor and Head of the Mars facility has offered you his help, if you need it. You don't. You just need ammo and a way to stop the meltdown before it tears the base apart.

I seriously laughed.

LMAO I totally forgot about that but I remember seeing that too. So good.

Secrets don't save if you haven't hit a checkpoint? Blah. I'm no fan of spaced out checkpoints, but if you keep collectibles/secrets I'm okay with it. Shit, even Dark Souls lets you keep the loot, lol.

Secrets save, yes. But if the checkpoint is before that point, that's where you respawn if you die.

bathsalts

One gripe so far. Chainsaw sound mix sounds WAY off. It's nowhere near as loud as I would like it to be.

Yea the sound mix in general is a weakness, its tough to discern enemy types/attacks coming from behind based on sound. The rest of it is so good that it just seems out of place that the audio isn't quite there, like as you mention with the chainsaw, that thing should sound like you're holding a reving motorcycle if front of you not like the muted weed whacker it does sound like.

Bedlam

Just started playing for a bit - my PS4 sounds like a fucking jet engine while ingame. No other game does this and not even Witcher 3 was this bad. This can't be right, can it? Anyone else has this problem?

Top Bottom