• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Damn, all these great impressions have convinced me to grab it. Had a bunch of in store credit so I figured why not - was already interested in it despite my lackluster experience with the multiplayer beta.

Can't wait to play it when I get home and put my kid down for a nap.

Warxard

Banned
screw that I impulse buy full price digital games. get on my level

can't spell level without 2 'Ls',
pachah1.png

nOoblet16

The range for Glory kill is so huge.

I get that Glory kills are optional but the fact that they give additional health and save ammo is kind of problematic here since you can lose health quite quickly. As such you kind of end up relying on Glory kills for escapes because not only does it give you health but also makes you invulnerable.

Otherwise the game is so good, also first thing people should do ins increase the FoV to 100-110 atleast..game feels so slow otherwise in comparison and a bit weird.

MP is trash btw.

Woorloog

Banned
Finished the campaign in 10h or so, on normal (or whatever it was called).
Very intensive, overall very good.
The story didn't go as i thought it would. Overall not very good story i guess, in the end, just an excuse to shoot demons, which isn't a bad thing per se in a game like this.

Definitively will play through at least one more time, if only to collect all i'm missing. Most likely a bit more.

Now to try multiplayer and SnapMap.

G_Berry

Banned
Just started playing for a bit - my PS4 sounds like a fucking jet engine while ingame. No other game does this and not even Witcher 3 was this bad. This can't be right, can it? Anyone else has this problem?
Mine too. The snap map main menu does it the most. More like a rocket ship!

BrikHog

Neo Member
Yea I've had one instance of the game just closing in about 6 hours. Anyone else getting this?

Yep, happened when I was looking at a wall for a few seconds, game just closed with no warning/error

Im on a 970/4690k for reference.

This game is the shit BTW.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The range for Glory kill is so huge.

I get that Glory kills are optional but the fact that they give additional health and save ammo is kind of problematic here since you can lose health quite quickly. As such you kind of end up relying on Glory kills for escapes because not only does it give you health but also makes you invulnerable.

Otherwise the game is so good, also first thing people should do ins increase the FoV to 100-110 atleast..game feels so slow otherwise in comparison and a bit weird.

MP is trash btw.

You make it sound like glory kills make it easy. But they stop ur input for few seconds. Thus in arenas etc this can leave u open Getting swarmed whilst animation finishes

Someone just mentioned the
plasma rifle
on level 2. Didn't see that. I'm not finding any of the secrets. If you miss a weapon pick up, do they have mercy on you and introduce it again at some point, or is it lost unless you replay a chapter?

Game is amazing, so fluid and fun. And challenging on Ultra Violence. I have had to replay some scenarios 6-7 times. Still trying to break the cover shooter/ADS mindset.

On the fence? Get it!

This has become my biggest concern as well. If we miss a gun, are we screwed?

Anung

Un Rama
Just got the
BFG
and holy fuck that shit tanked the frame rate just by firing it into a crowd of dudes. Love it.

This has become my biggest concern as well. If we miss a gun, are we screwed?

I don't think this is necessarily the case. I found a hidden
super shotgun
on stage 4, and found another in a blatantly obvious place put in the path of the mission objective on stage 5. I think these little secret weapons are just to reward players who take the time to search for them by having access to certain weapons earlier in the game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Was correct in my prediction like Wolfenstein awesome game. But feedback noise from guns is shocking shit. Shotgun sounds shit like in Wolfenstein

Other than that its living up to what i expected. N awesome single player shooter and shouldn't of had multiplayer added on

Nah I don't agree with that at all. Whilst the shotgun could do a bit more oomph it still sounds much better than Wolfensteins wet fart of a double barrel by a looooong way.

Asd202

Just started playing for a bit - my PS4 sounds like a fucking jet engine while ingame. No other game does this and not even Witcher 3 was this bad. This can't be right, can it? Anyone else has this problem?

Are you sure it isn't installing?

Skitso78

This is quite embarrassing, but how are you guys doing the double jump? I'm playing on Ps4 and have tried to press X when airborne, but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

eXistor

Just started it up. It the left analog stick supposed to have a giant deadzone? Anything to fix it? Movement seems unnecessarily clunky because of it (PS4 btw)

Honest question: how much of the game is the "you're locked in this smaller arena, kill waves of enemies by moving around until we let you out" arenas connected by thin hallways?

Honest question: how much of the game is the "you're locked in this smaller arena, kill waves of enemies by moving around until we let you out" arenas connected by thin hallways?
it's not always a small area

like this one I just died in at the end of level three, it's a huge room. and the enemies are pretty smart.

Onemic

It's there but not enough for it to be immediately noticeable because the level design is so well done. The areas in between dont feel like hallways, there's a lot of explore and a lot of stuff to do in between.

I was afraid of this as well, but after playing, it really doesnt feel like that's all there is to it.

gossi

The multiplayer modes Clan War and Freeze Tag are really good, guys. Freeze Tag in particular is great. You don't die, you freeze. Your team can thaw you. Leads to insane battles.

Protein

Banned
God this game is amazing. The fact that everyone tries to be STONE GRIMDARK SERIOUS like in most modern shooters and your guy simply doesn't give a flying fuck makes it all the more hilarious.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ah shit. After all the positive buzz I was hoping that those were just areas being shown off for PR since they contained way more blood and gore, but that actually kinda ruins it for me. I hate that.

It's very Painkiller. As mentioned, the 'arenas' vary in shape and size, but at the end of the day you get locked in a room, shoot everything in the face, move on to the next room and repeat.

Pinkies are so cute in this game! :D I really love them!

My PS4 sounds like that too, but only in super crowded locations.

deoee

Some levels have more some less.
I'd say 10%-30%

Ah shit. After all the positive buzz I was hoping that those were just areas being shown off for PR since they contained way more blood and gore, but that actually kinda ruins it for me. I hate that.

Don't listen to the 90% guy, talks shit :D

Spoo

Yeah I don't agree with that breakdown.

I mean, I guess it comes down to what you perceive as "arenas" -- the levels in this game are very large, and interconnected, sometimes wrapping back around to central areas, other times forking off into a secret area that drops you off ahead of where the normal path would take you. It's very often that you'll do something that causes enemies to spawn and you have to fight, but I've never felt like I was ushered into an area where the sole purpose of that area was to be an arena; generally there's blue/yellow doors there, and you'll need to backtrack there at some point. I guess what I'm saying is, it's actually hard to see the "lines" that delineate "fight area" and "progression area." Sometimes it's obvious, but not always.

Then again, it feels like almost every area in each level has some monsters to fight. There's not a lot of breathing room, and it's very, very combat heavy. Plus, the combat is actually kind of awesome, so I guess being locked in the occasional room with a bunch of demons isn't a con for me lol. I'd watch a playthrough of the level "Foundry" -- that gives you a great idea of what to expect from the levels / design of this game.

Yea mine is the same way. I didn't think it could get any louder than Witcher 3 either. It almost made me wish I had gone with the One version until I watched the DF video just now. Is it just me or does the XO version look much softer than the PS4 version? It also drops down to 50 fps and below and drops much more often than PS4. I'll gladly put up with the jet engine to play this game as close to perfectIy (on console) as possible. I wear headphones most of the time anyway.

Bedlam

Just started it up. It the left analog stick supposed to have a giant deadzone? Anything to fix it? Movement seems unnecessarily clunky because of it (PS4 btw)
First thing I did was to set "look smoothing" to "0". I hate that in any game. I'm doing much better without it.

Also deactivate aim assist obviously.

Onemic

Honestly that comparison is like saying that Dark Souls 3 is 80-90% bosses. There are a lot of bosses, but there's also a meaty portion of stuff to do outside boss fights, so much so that it doesnt just feel like youre going from boss to boss. That's what Dooms arenas are like.

Top Bottom