• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I would pay upwards of $20 for a Doom Marine toy that played music.

It doesn't play music, but this is close. Saw these at GameStop a few weeks ago and thought it to be a strange thing for them to make (especially because they had like 3-4 different variants of it), but after seeing them as collectables in-game it makes a lot more sense.

Unrelated:
Just finished the Cyberdemon fight. Not a huge fan of his look, but the fight was a lot of fun and actually took me a few tries to get down.

Tomeru

Someone needs to remake q2 multi maps in snapmap. I had tons of good times with the game on the ps1 with multitap.

So many funny moments.

So, I'm one level in, and my impression is that
this is (storywise) actually a sequel to the original two games, which I think is a solid move!

The theory I've heard
is that it follows the original two and 64. In 64, Doomguy closes the portal to hell from the inside and chooses to remain in Hell until the next time he's needed.

Since Doomguy seems to wake up from some sort of crazy sarcophagus, I'm guessing he was retrieved from Hell.

Man, that "Making of DooM Music" video with Mick Gordon is so fucking cool

Certainly gave me a much greater appreciation for what he's done with it

Justinian

Getting further into the game and it just keeps getting better. The level design is not just sprawling and intricate but also HUGE in scale and memorable.

So many great games this year and this is the cream of the crop.

Rizzi

It doesn't play music, but this is close. Saw these at GameStop a few weeks ago and thought it to be a strange thing for them to make (especially because they had like 3-4 different variants of it), but after seeing them as collectables in-game it makes a lot more sense.

Unrelated:
Just finished the Cyberdemon fight. Not a huge fan of his look, but the fight was a lot of fun and actually took me a few tries to get down.

It has to look like this though. :<
B93BD74D8CD483353F0F32A43BDF0BB246B7317F

Since Doomguy seems to wake up from some sort of crazy sarcophagus, I'm guessing he was retrieved from Hell.
Doomguy was found in hell, and Samuel Hayden woke you up to stop Olivia Pierce's crazy plan or something like that. At least I was just told that shortly before the Cyberdemon battle.

Schryver

Fuck I am excited for this now. Will wait a little while to get it though as I am finishing Uncharted and my backlog is huge and includes Wolfenstein The New Order

Doomguy was found in hell, and Samuel Hayden woke you up to stop Olivia Pierce's crazy plan or something like that. At least I was just told that shortly before the Cyberdemon battle.

So it definitely seems like a followup to the original continuity that includes 64. Awesome.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I've played for nearly 2 hours and I have to say this is probably the best and funniest FPS I've played in a long while. Last time was Wolfenstein The New Order but man. This game is something else!

I'm also impressed that I get a solid 60fps on my rig and no texture pop up like in TNO

justjim89

Any kind of ini edits that can be made to maximize performance? Getting like 18-22 fps on low settings, and a few extra frames would be a big help.

Woorloog

Banned
Multiplayer is kinda meh.
Mix of Halo-Doom-COD-Quake and perhaps something else. Not very interesting. Won't be classic like Doom or Quake MPs.

SnapMap didn't immediately find others for death match so i didn't really try it.

I'm trying to decide between this and Homefront, but leaning heavily towards this.

Is this game going to be a surprised like Wolfenstein New Order in terms of how good it was?

kevin1025

Banned
I was waiting 50+ minutes for this stupid update to DL on PSN. I check back after like 30 minutes and now it's 90+ minutes...

This is based on personal experience, but if you're watching Netflix or Youtube or playing online, the download slows down big time to accommodate. If you just left it running, that's not cool at all!

gossi

Guys SnapMap mode is amazing.

Seriously.

Try it.

It has Quick Match lobbies with Capture The Flag, Tower Assault, Co-Op waves etc. All on user created maps, which are also fully cross platform.

Seriously.

Try it.

It has Quick Match lobbies with Capture The Flag, Tower Assault, Co-Op waves etc. All on user created maps, which are also fully cross platform.

Holy shit the user made maps are Cross platform?!!
Nice!

Homefront looks like a complete mess. This is pretty fun so far.

I remembered the Homefront Video from last year looking decent, but the videos I seen earlier this month looks quite bad. I'm also not reading good impressions from people on Gaf who got an early copy.

With regards to Doom, does it tell you where to go if you get lost? The maps looks quite large.

JimiNutz

Banned
Really glad this turned out well.
Not sure if I should play the new Wolfenstein first though or just jump straight into DOOM?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'm trying to decide between this and Homefront, but leaning heavily towards this.

Is this game going to be a surprised like Wolfenstein New Order in terms of how good it was?

No doubt there man, pick Doom.
Homefront preview thread is not looking good.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Played up to level 3.

The game is really good. It actually feels like DOOM, which is so refreshing. Run and gun the whole way. And secrets everywhere...

Can I go back to previous levels to find collectibles and unlock challenges, and will those then be applied to my character when I continue in on the campaign?

ironcreed

Banned

Seriously.

Try it.

I'll mess with that after the campaign. Especially since I hear you can even do single player maps.

Seriously.

Try it.

Going to make a SnapMap OT later tonight after work if no one else does. I love it and it deserves its own thread and more attention

thinking: DOOM SnapMap |OT| Build and Share, Until It's Done...

Top Bottom