• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Fantomas

Question:

Are there quick-button controls to switch weapons for PS4? I really don't like weapon wheels.

IMO, I wouldn't mind seeing all 4 d-pads, plus square, triangle, x and circle all be quick-buttons. Make r1 jump or something. Fast weapon switching is important!

Well just tapping the weapon-wheel button on PS4 will quick switch to the last weapon you had out, so there's that. Also once you memorize where the weapon positions are on the wheel it's really quick to switch to it, the game doesn't really pause on the wheel screen if you're fast enough.

antitrop

Pretty funny

When the two best and most intially under rated FPSs this gen are old franchises from a same publisher.

I always believed in both of them. I was hyped for Wolfenstein on the Starbreeze pedigree alone, The Darkness was one of my favorite games of last-gen.

Raptor

VerifiableWellmadeChickadee.gif

This shit is amazing, very cute :D

ISee

Hmm DSP: he doesn't shoot barrels..and yet, upgrades barrel resistance.

Does this mean we'll get a this is how you don't play Doom 4? Could be funny.
Also: There was nothing he could do, the game is obviously poorly made.

antitrop

Does this game have anything as gross as the goddamn brain scene in Wolfenstein? The EXTREEEME PLAYER DEATHS in early coverage made me concerned.

Cutting stuff in half with the chainsaw is up there, but it's over much quicker. That scene in Wolfenstein went on for a long time and all the screaming made it really hard to watch.

legbone

I always believed in both of them. I was hyped for Wolfenstein on the Starbreeze pedigree alone, The Darkness was one of my favorite games of last-gen.

Right on. You took the words right out of my mouth. I was on board with wolf as soon as i heard about it. I am hyped for doom and am currently waiting on the strange install at the first ps4 boot. did everyone have this? anyway, i'm hoping doom is one half as good as wolf. from what i have heard of the soundtrack, it's amazing and fucking balls out. hope the game is as good as the music i have heard.

void666

Banned
Oh god no... i'm feeling motion sickness. This sucks.
Loving the game sor far. I'm playing on pc with an xbox one controller. By the way, having left bumper as jump is very useful.

Protein

Banned
I recommend upgrading maximum ammo over anything else. I find myself running out of ammo on the highest difficulty. Health and Armor burn away fast.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh god no... i'm feeling motion sickness. This sucks.
Loving the game sor far. I'm playing on pc with an xbox one controller. By the way, having left bumper as jump is very useful.

Increase the FOV and see if it helps, that's usually the cause of motion sickness in FPS's.

Serdal

Neo Member
How's sound for you guys? While I found music to be great, I think the mix in general is rather poor, and directional sound is just plain bad... or have I played too much Overwatch to judge it this way?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Playing on Hurt Me Plenty and is it me or sometimes the enemies...don't act? Like you can find friendly imps and zombies who just blankly stare at you haha.

Playing on Hurt Me Plenty and is it me or sometimes the enemies...don't act? Like you can find friendly imps and zombies who just blankly stare at you haha.

This is why Ultra Violence is recommended if you at the very least know how to use a controller or kb/m.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is why Ultra Violence is recommended if you at the very least know how to use a controller or kb/m.

It's almost charming haha. Like they track me with their heads and everything. But even getting up close, and they just stare at me with their fugly mugs. Not sure this is a difficulty thing, must be a glitch or something. Oh well, free kills! Unless Ultra-Violence really does make that stuff not happen.

Protein

Banned
I recommend Ultra-Violence. Keep dying over and over again if must, you'll master the feel of the game in no time. The enemies feel more aggressive to me at least.

antitrop

I'm playing on PS4 and finding Ultra-Violence to be very manageable. I put it on Strafe controls (Bumper Jumper) and jump around all over the place, using Glory Kills whenever I can.

I really do not mind the GKs, I actually enjoy the animations. They're like half a second long, barely even takes control away from you.

It's almost charming haha. Like they track me with their heads and everything. But even getting up close, and they just stare at me with their fugly mugs. Not sure this is a difficulty thing, must be a glitch or something. Oh well, free kills! Unless Ultra-Violence really does make that stuff not happen.

Oh, well in that case you might have broke the scripting.

How's sound for you guys? While I found music to be great, I think the mix in general is rather poor, and directional sound is just plain bad... or have I played too much Overwatch to judge it this way?

I've only played the ps4 version for a few hours and hope to be playing the pc version later today, but this is definitely Doom's weakest aspect for me. The guns especially just sound very weak.

Yup I'm enjoying the glory kills as well. Have been using them less frequently now that I have so much fire power though, but it's become a great tactic for surviving in a pinch.

can you change the difficulty at any time? I'm not home yet to try it out :(

Between the first 3 modes yes. Anything higher you are locked into.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That's an even bigger turn off for me than the glory kills

Like a lot of people on neogaf said the shadow warrior reboot was awesome, so I bought it. It was super terrible. Basically navigate a level until you come to an open area, then doors magically lock and won't open until all the spammed enemies are dead. It had awful pacing and I hate that style

I feel Wolfenstein the new order avoided this style and was great because of it

This game clearly is not for you.

I'm playing on PS4 and finding Ultra-Violence to be very manageable. I put it on Strafe controls (Bumper Jumper) and jump around all over the place, using Glory Kills whenever I can.

I really do not mind the GKs, I actually enjoy the animations. They're like half a second long, barely even takes control away from you.

I'm thinking about starting over on Ultra Violence. I started there, and it took me a while to get my control settings tuned the way I like, so I turned it down to Hurt me plenty while I did. I feel like Hurt me plenty is too easy now that I have my control settings dialed in.

Is there any point in starting over or would it be better to just change the difficulty back to UV now mid game?

I play FPS's every day, COD multiplayer, OW Beta, etc, and Doom is so damned fast it took me a while to get used to the controls and to tune them properly for myself.

FireRises

Yup I'm enjoying the glory kills as well. Have been using them less frequently now that I have so much fire power though, but it's become a great tactic for surviving in a pinch.

Between the first 3 modes yes. Anything higher you are locked into.

awesome thanks. So I would be locked into Ultra-Violence?

Tomeru

Question:

Are there quick-button controls to switch weapons for PS4? I really don't like weapon wheels.

IMO, I wouldn't mind seeing all 4 d-pads, plus square, triangle, x and circle all be quick-buttons. Make r1 jump or something. Fast weapon switching is important!

The game slows down when you open the weapons wheel. Thats as good as it gets it seems. I dont remember how it worked on q3 or q2 on consoles back in the day.

Plum

Well, looks like this is my next purchase after I've finished UC4. Any indication on its length? A 10-15 hour game is good enough for £30 even if I never touch the MP.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I love this game so far, MP is decent. Wish it was slightly faster but it's still great to have a new arcade shooter with all the violence I can wish for.

Is this like a community thread?

Top Bottom