• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Don't want to trash your new thread, but because you're comparing beta and release day perfromance. Wasn't the beta set on the lowest settings and the newest benchmarks are on ultra?

I don't know, really. I was going by memory and I thought I wrote that as more of a question. But even if that is the case, like I said, it doesn't matter what settings I use, low or otherwise, the problems that I have still persist. For me and others.

antitrop

What control options are there?

Classic (Puts Weapon Select on Triangle, Equipment on R1, and BFG on L1)
Knuckles (Puts Melee on R1)
Mirrored
Strafe (Bumper Jumper)
Tactical (Same as Strafe, but with Weapon Select on R1, instead of Triangle)

Brick

Does this run well on consoles? With no reviews out yet, but hearing some good stuff here on GAF, I want to make sure that there aren't any technical issues on PS4 before I jump in.

TriAceJP

Chomag7
May 13, 2016

There is word that describes the game perfectly: DULL.

This game is practically Doom 1993 with a 2016 graphic facelift. It has no cut scenes, dialogues are all about 3 people talking to you via radio, no npc interaction other than shooting monsters, no vehicle action, no nothing. This game is dull as ****

I can't help but compare it to Wolfenstein: New Order. People, Doom 2016 HAS NOTHING over W:NO. The latter is simply a masterpiece with tons of cut scenes, tons of story, tons of dialogues and npc interactions. Doom is about shooting monsters through narrow corridors, that's it. Doom 2016 is not even scary like Doom 3. Doom 2016 is just an average run of the mill shooter that could have been made just as well by Nobody Studios and not ID.

Also it's very short, about 10 hours.

Multiplayer? Oh god, it's Quake. If you like to play such a basic and simple shooter like Quake in the year 2016 when we have CoD, Counterstrike and Overwatch, by all means, do play it, but the majority of players will just see it the same as they see the singleplayer: dull and unimpressive.

Save your money. This game is not worth it. I have no idea what did they do with the budget, this game feels like it was made with a really small budget for an AAA game.

Metacritic user reviews at their finest.

psychotron

Does this run well on consoles? With no reviews out yet, but hearing some good stuff here on GAF, I want to make sure that there aren't any technical issues on PS4 before I jump in.

Digital Foundry put out a video. 1080 and incredibly consistent 60fps. Buy it.

Has anyone else noticed that, Bethesda published games always seem to go the same way?

1.Game is announced and people are cautiously interested.

2.Theres a poor showing of the game via a demo that makes people worried.

3.Time goes on with people worrying that the game might not be so good.

4.Game comes out and it's awesome.

I feel like this happened with Dishonored, Wolfenstein, and now Doom.

AlanOC91

3 hours into the campaign. Game is absolutely amazing.

Please for the love of god play on the Nightmare difficulty settings. What a rush!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Metacritic user reviews at their finest.

I bet he's annoyed he can't get to tenth prestige and pavelows

Seriously, what in the fuck does this guy think this game is for? Was he hoping for QTEs and a story carefully crafted by literary geniuses?

Ironically this sort of review had I not already bought the game would have simply confirmed this game is everything I wanted :lol

Played few hours in multiplayer, at first it was really great, but now almost everyone is playing with goddamn minigun. Christ, it easily can kill player with full health and armor, not to mention most demons. What the point of playing with other guns when minigun is so powerful? I still think that loadouts is horrible idea, game was fun in beta and mostly now, but no variety in players weapons can quickly kill all the fun. I hope id will nerf minigun and continue balancing multiplayer.

Why aren't the controls the same in campaign mode and Snapmap?

Campaign, one button:
melee/use on the same button

Snapmap, two buttons:
melee
use/interact

There's also "user input 1" and "user input 2", which I'm assuming it for things like map voting.

mcz117chief

How are the graphics for you guys? I am running at ultra and it looks really really poor. It looks on par with games like Quake 4 or Doom 3 (both very good looking games but pretty old all things considered). There is barely any blood and corpses disappear just *poof* and gone, at least in Doom 3 they kind of burned up a bit.

Gameplay is great, performance is great but the graphics are a real bummer so far.

I got the CE and I cannot get the damn battery door off of the statue. Anyone else having this problem? The screw just spins and spins.

legbone

i have been playing for about an hour and this game is all right in my book. it's nice and doomy. clear an area of enemies and then scour it for secrets and ammo/health/shield pickups. then move on and kill some more shit. constantly checking the map for nooks and crannies. that's doom how i remember it. i actually like the gore kills or whatever they are called. now i may get tired of them after 10 hours but right now they fucking rock. when i was in college playing doom, doom 2 and doom 64 this is pretty much what i imagined a doom game would be in 20 years. ok maybe i expected more but at its essence this is doom through and through. i can't wait to get some speed upgrades. but then again my old man reflexes aren't what they used to be. maybe it's a good thing they are easing me into the waters slowly. this game also reminds me of quake with the jumping and verticality. it's like doom with some quake mixed in. plus, it's a beaut on ps4. i cranked the fov up and turned off the motion blur and i'm in heaven all at 60 fps. once again, can't wait for some speed upgrades. and the dark sense of humor is making me chuckle. all in all, im damn glad i bought this. well, gotta go rip and tear. amf.

Holy hell this game moves fast on console. I thought people were saying it was slow. Make TNO look like it's a casual stroll in the park rofl

Simo

Holy shit is SnapMap fun!! I'm just joining other peoples creations with my friends and having a blast!!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The cheat code that makess it glory kills only is hilarious

YaBish

Has anyone else noticed that, Bethesda published games always seem to go the same way?

I had this thought a while ago, and it's giving me a lot of faith in Bethesda as a publisher. I look forward to the inevitable Prey reboot.

This.

ultrazilla

Snagged it last night from Green Man Gaming for $48. Not bad!

Steam digital download.

My specs:

Intel Core I5 3330cpu @ 3.00 GHz
Windows 10 64 bit, 8 gig ram
Asus Superclocked Nvidia 970 4 gig
1 terabyte memory

I'm having a problem updating to the newest Nvidia drivers for the game. It keeps giving me errors so I have to troubleshoot that.

The intro really lagged out badly for me, when the ID logo first comes on. It was like slow
motion.

Once into the game, set everything to Ultra @ 1080p and FOV to 110. Game looks, plays and runs brilliantly. Gotta put my fps counter on but there's no doubt I'm rocking 60+ fps at all times. No hiccups or anything.

I did seem to encounter a weird bug when I tabbed into the weapons and monsters screen to look at stuff. I tried backing out with esc, tab, etc and didn't get a response. I ended up mashing a bunch of keys and finally got back in game.

Using mouse and keyboard to play(it's Doom.....old school!)

Not terribly interested in the MP portion of the game, it's always been the single player campaign for me. That said, I do want to check out the snap map editor and see what I can come up with.

Grew up with Doom(I'm an old man at 44) and I highly recommend the game. Gunplay is great, great graphical effects, dead on control, optimized extremely well IMO. Sound effects and music are ace as well.

Welcome back DOOM and ID, I missed ya!

Karak

Yes. I have spent a good number of hours on the PS4 and xbox One version. Though neither is locked 60fps they are quite close and in all honesty they look tremendous.

Protein

Banned
Alright guys, I need your help. There's something here in this area but I can't find anything but a solid wall. I looked everywhere for buttons and levers.

xp3Bjv1.jpg

How are the graphics for you guys? I am running at ultra and it looks really really poor. It looks on par with games like Quake 4 or Doom 3 (both very good looking games but pretty old all things considered). There is barely any blood and corpses disappear just *poof* and gone, at least in Doom 3 they kind of burned up a bit.

Gameplay is great, performance is great but the graphics are a real bummer so far.

surejan.gif

Always? Heavens no. Lest we forget titles like Wet or Rogue Warrior.

Top Bottom