• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

One advantage of using a controller is that mod that upgrades your ability to find secrets. The controller will start to rumble when you are near one.

Alright guys, I need your help. There's something here in this area but I can't find anything but a solid wall. I looked everywhere for buttons and levers.

look for a lever on the side of a bridge on the top floor

you have to jump over a railing to reach it, IIRC

helpful rule of thumb here: you can usually tell on the automap that the more angular parts of the map is where the classic maps are, and the levers to unlock them are never that far from the doorway into them

The MP is a mess, but the rest of the game is pretty great. Running it windowed because for some reason it's the only way this shit can run at a steady 60FPS on a FX4300.

What are these cheat codes I'm hearing about?

Does this game still have the glory kill from the original E3 video where you grab an enemy's leg and crush their own head with it? It was silly looking but I liked the absurdity of it.

Does this game still have the glory kill from the original E3 video where you grab an enemy's leg and crush their own head with it? It was silly looking but I liked the absurdity of it.

Yeah it's there. I don't know if it's only for one enemy type, but you have to aim for their feet when you do the glory kill to get that one.

NotLiquid

I meant in quality when it comes to 90s FPS reboots. I guess I should've said "is it good or rancid garbage"

Oh well then yes, definitely closer to TNO.

I must say it's crazy how much of a comeback this game is for id. It's been roughly 12 years since Doom 3, a game the community was so divided on, and the only new game they've made since then being Rage hasn't instilled much confidence either. Everyone pegged a new id-made Doom a lost cause, something that should have been handed over to MachineGames instead since they already showed the capacity to honor the legacy of a classic franchise. But lo and behold, they actually hold their own in a spectacular fashion.

It feels so good to have both developers resurrect iconic series to critical fan acclaim. Even though TNO wasn't necessarily a critical darling and I don't expect Doom to fare worlds better, these two classics easily rest in some proven, good hands.

legbone

i haven't seen that one but i believe i saw doomguy rip off an imp's arm and crush his skull with it. maybe it was his leg? it happened so fast. did i mention the "slow default speed" of this game is blazingly fast for me.

Woorloog

Banned
Pretty sure there's a Glory Kill where the Doomguy rips off an arm and slaps the demon to death. Kinda, anyway.
Can't recall which demon has this animation.

Quikies83

Any tips on how to open the doors in the middle of M2 ? I'm at the exit now and can't figure out how to get them open - map shows goodies behind the doors

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh well then yes, definitely closer to TNO.

I must say it's crazy how much of a comeback this game is for id. It's been roughly 12 years since Doom 3, a game the community was so divided on, and the only new game they've made since then being Rage hasn't instilled much confidence either. Everyone pegged a new id-made Doom a lost cause, something that should have been handed over to MachineGames instead since they already showed the capacity to honor the legacy of a classic franchise. But lo and behold, they actually hold their own in a spectacular fashion.

It feels so good to have both developers resurrect iconic series to critical fan acclaim. Even though TNO wasn't necessarily a critical darling and I don't expect Doom to fare worlds better, these two classics easily rest in some proven, good hands.

I think the lesson here is Bethesda let them reboot the entire thing like three times and wouldn't release a sub-par game onto the market.

How long was this in development for? 7 years?

Zukkoyaki

Has anyone else noticed that, Bethesda published games always seem to go the same way?

1.Game is announced and people are cautiously interested.

2.Theres a poor showing of the game via a demo that makes people worried.

3.Time goes on with people worrying that the game might not be so good.

4.Game comes out and it's awesome.

I feel like this happened with Dishonored, Wolfenstein, and now Doom.

Funny enough, the one game from them that everyone was excited about and were certain would be amazing, Fallout 4, came out and was underwhelming to a lot folks (I still liked it though).

But I agree with your point! Bethesda has come a very long ways since Wet, Rogue Warrior, and Brink.

antitrop

Alright guys, I need your help. There's something here in this area but I can't find anything but a solid wall. I looked everywhere for buttons and levers.

xp3Bjv1.jpg

Same. :(

I've finished the whole level and I just want to know how to get to that back area.

Pleasantly surprised that the physical PC copy has the reversible cover art as well. Just came with 1 DVD like they said it would. I have fast enough internet that I just ended up redeeming the code on steam and downloading it straight from there anyways.

Surprisingly it ended up being cheaper getting it physical from BB than getting it from GMG or another key reseller.

I meant in quality when it comes to 90s FPS reboots. I guess I should've said "is it good or rancid garbage"
There's no question it's good. Just read through the thread. If you're indeed a Doom fan you would've known the SP was stellar for months now. Everyone else was just digging their heels in ready to shit on it.

lordxar

Tried MP out and I almost don't want to mess with the campaign now. This is like stepping into a time machine with better graphics. Damn glad I got this.

It's a shame there's no co-op in this. I loved going through the levels over LAN with my dad back in the day.
Hopefully they add it later on..

NotLiquid

I think the lesson here is Bethesda let them reboot the entire thing like three times and wouldn't release a sub-par game onto the market.

7-8 years, something of the sort.

It's kinda funny at the time how Carmack was considered a reliable person to spearhead Doom. After Rage flunked and the scrapped Doom 4 concepts you have to wonder how much of the original game's strength in design was owed to Romero since he's the one more eager to jump back into the fold and make an old-school inspired FPS game right now, and since his recent Doom maps were actually pretty good.

gossi

Published a map called NeoSanity to PC, Xbox One and PS4. Search for NeoSanity or HCURA7ME in the SnapMap mode. It supports single player or four player co-op.

It has one tiny room, no lights, the room is on fire, you have every Doom weapon - and about 200 enemies.

Momentary

Banned
I need help!
There is a locked door at the beginning of "Shut Down the Argent Tower" where there are dead bodies strewn about and hanging from the ceiling along with pentagrams on the ground. I'm at the end of the stage and cannot figure out how to open this damn thing.

I really don't understand the lack of marketing for this game and why they didn't sent review copies earlier, especially after these very positive impressions here and what Digital Foundry said as well.

Um, you would have been an adult when Doom 1 came out.

He was only 21 when the original Doom came out. That may be technically an adult, but really that's still a kid. Let it slide dude.

Pleasantly surprised that the physical PC copy has the reversible cover art as well. Just came with 1 DVD like they said it would. I have fast enough internet that I just ended up redeeming the code on steam and downloading it straight from there anyways.

Surprisingly it ended up being cheaper getting it physical from BB than getting it from GMG or another key reseller.

Good to hear. My physical PC copy is at home waiting for me.
I got my copy pretty cheap too. 20% off amazon prime, plus I found a $25 amazon gift card that I forgot about. Something like 23 bucks.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Published a map called NeoSanity to PC, Xbox One and PS4. Search for NeoSanity or HCURA7ME in the SnapMap mode. It supports single player or four player co-op.

It has one room, no lights, the room is on fire, you have every Doom weapon - and about 200 enemies.

I need to find people to play Doom with for maps like these.

Where my GMT people at, I can't stay up all night with my murican friends at the moment.

Sciz

It was formally announced in 2008, which IIRC coincided with the announcement that they were hiring people to make it, so who knows what the preproduction cycle and ramp up times looked like. And then that game was supposedly scrapped in 2011.

eXistor

Goddamn, this game is legit. I'm seriously hooked. Why the hell wasn't this game properly marketed? I don't recall ever having the feeling that this game was gonna be like Doom 1 and 2. This thread is already full of glowing impressions (and rightly so), so add mine to the pile I guess. The one thing that isn't doing it for me is the music, I don't like the fragmented sound, it sounds too electronically processed, I would have preferred more traditional metal.

The one above nightmare...when you die you have to start from the beginning and not only that the demons basically one hit kill you, it's fucking ridiculous, not sure I actually want to attempt this...

Said no DOOM marine ever, SIGN ME UP.

wow that sounds ridiculous. Like Hell and Hell mode in DMC3

Even as someone who enjoyed the beta, it's pretty dull. Got my two MP trophies and got the hell out.

I loved the beta, and put a lot of hours into it. I feel like some small stuff changed since the beta for the worse, but I cannot put my finger on all of it. I feel like the shotgun is a roll of the dice to see what it does. So many times where I am right in a guys face, my shotgun does 14 damage and his instakills me. I am also seeing some connection issues, a lot of people have red bars. Theres been some times where I get behind a wall, and then drop dead from a person that was shooting me right before I went into cover. While I am still enjoying the actual game(im rank 41), I no longer see myself sticking with it for a long time like I thought I originally would. There is also a lot of cheap bullshit that wasnt in the beta. The chaingun is a joke, so OP

PnCIa

A question about difficulty, what should someone playing with kb&m start the game on...UV or Nightmare? The game looks incredibly easy in the videos i have seen.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Nightmare and Ultra-Nightmare are fucking insane on console. Playing this with a controller is definitely a handicap.

Not that that's a bad thing, because they fucking nailed the old school DOOM feeling. This game is glorious.

Good to hear. My physical PC copy is at home waiting for me.
I got my copy pretty cheap too. 20% off amazon prime, plus I found a $25 amazon gift card that I forgot about. Something like 23 bucks.

Yeah I had a $25 gift card for BB and $5 in rewards from GCU and got $10 for pre-ordering Doom. All that on top of the 20% off. Essentially got it for $7.99 without tax.

Top Bottom