• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I need a good single player fps campaign. I had doubts about this, but these overwhelmingly positive GAF impressions have totally swayed me. Maybe I've succumbed to hype, but I got a good price on SimplyGames and I can't wait!

Chiggs

Gold Member
This game is giving me combat fatigue. ;)

Sorted out my performance problems (forced Vsync through the Crimson control panel and updated my mobo bios) and the game is running like a dream.

Late game spoiler:

Did the Cyberdemon fight give anyone Dark Souls vibes? That bastard was doing these charges across the arena that made me think of the Nameless King, and his rocket attack was like something Aldrich would do.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What the hell is Ultra Nightmare??

The only trophy for that difficulty is to survive just the first level. Basically beat it without ever dying since there is no checkpoint respawns on that. Seems like a real feat, unless able to try in NG+ possibly with upgrades.

Mr Swine

Banned
Holy cow, fighting Hell Knights are a pain in my donkey butt on nightmare, constantly running away and dodging imp fireballs ugh

I think the lesson here is Bethesda let them reboot the entire thing like three times and wouldn't release a sub-par game onto the market.

How long was this in development for? 7 years?

Yeah, real long time with a couple iterations down the drain before arriving at this one. First iteration was sort of the opposite of this, with long set pieces and on rails sections like more typical modern shooters.

So I've sunk a lot of time into the story. I just
shot it until it died.
How far am I along? I was told "10-12 hours" is the length of the campaign, but even with considerable time exploring levels, I'm only around 5 hours in.

Also, I've only played one match of the multiplayer, and was unsure of what to think. How has that mode changed from the beta? Is it still really, really lousy?

The Flash

Banned
1418090553235.gif

zeioIIDX

Lol...it's probably already been said but I noticed when I fell in the molten shit in the Foundry level and died, Doom guy gives a thumbs up as his arm/hand sinks into it. Straight-up Terminator 2 reference!

Protein

Banned
Hell Knights are a pain in the ass. I've died several times to them. I need to get in the habit of using my Chainsaw and grenades more.

Simo

SnapMap might have sold me on the game.

Infinite co-op missions to play? Yeah, I'm interested.

I know right?! Myself and 2 friends kept jumping from one to the other and trying them out. One of them was an absurd disco themed Free For All with "Funky Town" playing in the background and dance floor with lasers and lights going off and the speed increased 10x. lol

The last SnapMap we jumped into was a "Final DOOM" map that was done really well in low level lighting adding to the atmosphere of being a lot more tense than we expected and you only had 1 life for the entire team and had to progress through the map while fighting off regular demons and the more harder ones like Hell Knights and Hell Barons while trying to find the colored key cards to progress. Super fucking cool.

This game is awesome. MP is a blast, just good old-school fun at 1000mph and some pretty robust customization options with tons of unlockables to take it even further.

I love it and I've barely played the SP or touched snapmap.

Red boxed the xbox one version.

Has anyone else run into huge audio glitches? One of the "cutscenes" had a character talking (mouth was moving) but no words coming out. I didn't have subtitles on at the time. Then next level boots and subtitles play but I can't hear the person over the radio.

Quite annoying, but amazing game so far despite this hopefully minor issue.

gossi

Has anyone else run into huge audio glitches? One of the "cutscenes" had a character talking (mouth was moving) but no words coming out. I didn't have subtitles on at the time. Then next level boots and subtitles play but I can't hear the person over the radio.

Is your Xbox sound config right? If you've set the sound options to Surround but don't have surround or your middle speaker is broken, this happens.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
So is nightmare even enjoyable? Deciding between that or ultra violence.

game can get tough on even hurt me plenty they like to put you up against multiple hell knights and barons of hell at the same time can get kinda hard but i say go for nightmare if you are going to go all out on it

Nemic77

Still waiting for dat soundtrack to release...

Looking forward to see the first Ultra Nightmare playthrough. Having a hard time on Ultra Violence at some spots.

Also, holy shit at the first time you face a Baron of Helll. The ambience was amazing. Can't get any more hellish than that.

Pimpbaa

I have the opposite problem on ps4 (when using headphones). Dialog is sometimes so loud it makes my ears bleed.

Unain

Proper launch options for Doom (Properties -> Set Launch Options):
Code:
+com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set m_smooth 0

No long intros and mouse smoothing off.

gossi

So does Doom not have Private Matches or am I missing something?

Go to SnapMap mode. They really need to make this clearer in the UI, the name SnapMap is off putting but it has private lobbies, and custom maps. Everybody should check it out with friends.

Is your Xbox sound config right? If you've set the sound options to Surround but don't have surround or your middle speaker is broken, this happens.

I just double checked and everything seemed to be in order on that end. It wasn't set to surround (I don't have surround sound).

.la1n

Only through the first two chapters but this game is legit amazing, exactly the kind of thing I wanted from Doom. I hope sales will be good enough that games like this can make a comeback. I feel like it fits my lifestyle nicely as well, perfect pick up and play game.

Proper launch options for Doom (Properties -> Set Launch Options):
Code:
+com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set m_smooth 0

No long intros and mouse smoothing off.

Thanks, will do.
I assume m_smooth refers to some form of mouse acceleration/smoothing. Would that have any affect on controller input?
Edit: Whoops, you already specified mouse smooth underneath. No affect on controller input anyway, right?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Fuck I forgot about the map, and presumably missed a ton of shit. Oh well, FML. Also, goddamn Glory Kills are the absolute best fucking thing to happen to the Doom franchise. So. Goddamn. Awesome. Never gets old, and utterly changes the pacing of combat on the fly. From far away shooting, to running in and busting heads to regain precious health points (really fucking precious). Genius mechanic. Goes perfectly hand in hand, with the rocking, pitch perfect OST. Snapping jaws, to the bass.

Top Bottom