• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

legbone

The level design is pretty fucking nuts. They don't make them like this anymore. At least shooters anyway.

that's for sure. this reminds me of the descent days. i always forget how much "puzzle" there is to a doom/wolfenstein/quake game has. i'm downright fucking clueless as to where the levers are in some doors and how the hell i get to places i see. yep this is doom/id alright.

legbone

there's something weirdly refreshing about not having to click a stick in to run. also, no reload through for a second when i first started and then i thought, oh yeah, doom.

oh and goddanm, when that soundtrack gets going in an arena it gets your juices flowing. i bet if you removed the soundtrack the arenas would seem stale and boring in comparison. i love the stick and move gameplay in the arenas myself.

Woorloog

Banned
The really cool musical score makes up for it in my opinion.

If you like that noise. I don't.

The gun sounds are acceptable, just don't expect DICE-level brilliance. Watch and listen some Youtube vids with mere gameplay, like that one where Nvidia demos the speed of the game.

Just started. Oh my god this is so good. Why hadn't they showed it like I'm playing now (On PC) So fast, so great. Old habits die hard I keep trying to reload and remember "oh yea doom didn't have reload...hype"

Just jumps you and and away you go. Also great tuning options on the bud. I turned off the compass

Tecnniqe

Banned
and how exactly should I be playing?
Always move, jump and dodge. Pick up armor, HP and ammo.

Map layout is important to know, power weapon locations, circle the outskirts of the map and don't rush center and so on

Most don't do any of these things and as a result you wreck them.

Zeliard

The people (largely elsewhere) who derisively compare this to Quake a) make me a bit sad, and b) make me hope it is a bit like Quake.

Hoard powerups, use the high ground, take the advantage. Rather than just run and gun.

Always move, jump and dodge. Pick up armor, HP and ammo.

Map layout is important to know, power weapon locations, circle the outskirts of the map and don't rush center and so on

Most don't do any of these things and as a result you wreck them.

oh ok, thats essentially what im doing lol. Having a hard time countering all the shotgun spam. They seem so damn inconsistent

The first level on
....hell...
is frustrating as hell when it comes to secrets. I've literally found three of them in the first two areas and can't find how to get to any of them.

Woorloog

Banned
The first level on
....hell...
is frustrating as hell when it comes to secrets. I've literally found three of them in the first two areas and can't find how to get to any of them.

Continue the map normally. You'll get to the secrets eventually. Took me ages to figure this.

lazygecko

If I liked the two recent Wolfenstein games, would I like this? btw is this survival horror/jumpscares?

There's only one jumpscare I'm aware of, which they've already shown in pre-release footage (the zombie playing dead). Other than that, Doomguy doesn't give a fuck and it's rip & tear all the way.

SilentRob

So I played the XB1 version for about an hour and really, really liked it. That alone was a huge surprise to me - i didn't have any expectations for this at all. None.

I was really impressed with the XB1 version, too. It looked great and ran with what felt like smooth 60fps (as the DF analysis showed, that's not actually a case, but stutters weren't noticable for me at all).

However I am a huge fan of Painkiller and a big fan of Serious Sam...so I just felt like I owed it to the game to play it with a mouse and keyboard. I play mostly on console these days and have no trouble controlling a shooter with a controller but this game was clearly built with a mouse in mind.

Sooo I just went ahead and bought the PC version, played through the second mission on Ultra-Violence now and oh my god how great is this game. This is the first great shooter of this kind since Painkiller in my book.

legbone

I just played for 2 hours.

The campaign gets kinda repetitive for me.

well i've been playing for three and i'm still grinning like a loon i'm having so much fun. so nana nana boo boo! :p

edit: please realize that was said with the kindest fun intentions.

Woorloog

Banned
If I liked the two recent Wolfenstein games, would I like this? btw is this survival horror/jumpscares?

Depends why you like those Wolfensteins. Story-telling? This one has mere excuse plot to shoot demonds.
Gameplay is also a throwback to old shooters, with no reloading or ADS or sprint. Has similar weapon upgrade system as Wolfenstein had though.
Very gory.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll probably be part of the minority here, but fuck that looked bad. That looked fucking awful. That was my most hyped game of the conference, Fallout or not.

I played Doom on a computer without a sound card. I purchased games as a teen while worrying if it was going to run on my PC or not because of that. Doom was beeps and bloops for me until the PSX version.

No cheesy metal for me. Just atmosphere. Fuck I love Doom.

This was fucking garbage IMO. I am crushed. But then again, I understand why people are going to be excited and it's OK. This is a new version of Doom, for a new audience. It's all right.

I usually don't single out users but....that post from the E3 2015 demo thread sticks out to me. That user... I mean look at that post. What a goddamn idiot that person is. I am ashamed for that poster.

Oh Jesus, this was my most hyped game of the night. I am a massive Doom fanboy and literally recorded the OST and sound effects from the PSX version on cassette as a kid.

This looks like utter shit. Oh man. What a buzzkill IMO.

From the Bethsoft E3 thread! Look at the idiot go!

Note to self. Stop judging games from trailers. Like...forever.

Teknoman

Spoilers and all, but even though I haven't beaten Doom 2, it feels like they actually started this one from the end of it? It doesn't seem like a reimagining.

Adnor

Banned
Hey look I found a Doom football helmet

CiXvoBhWkAAxwpN.jpg:large

Now everyone hurry up let's find the Dopefish easter egg.

NotLiquid

Question; I've read some talk about speed upgrades later down the line. How does that manifest? I haven't seen any readily visible speed upgrades.

Corpekata

Banned
Think I might end up liking this more than Wolfenstein.

A big part of that is the engine. Earlier idtech were clearly not designed around mouse look at would frequently be full of low res textures popping in way too late. No such problem here.

Only issue I have is that death and damage can really sneak up on you. Enemy attacks lack a certain amount of impact and so it can be hard to notice that you're down to half health in a flash.

G_Berry

Banned
Lots of shit on the snap map community page already which is pretty standard with map creation tools on consoles.

I made one though which i think is pretty cool. Love spending hours creating and tweaking maps.

Name: Shotguns? Super!
Mode: DM
Mod: Super shotguns only! And increased damage.

Small map, increased damage and fast respawn. Haven't been able to play it online yet but I think people will like it. Please give it a go with some buds and let me know!

legbone

Question; I've read some talk about speed upgrades later down the line. How does that manifest? I haven't seen any readily visible speed upgrades.

i think you have to have four different weapon types (the chainsaw doesn't count). i have only been playing three and half hours or so and i haven't got four yet. i just got the heavy assault rifle in the second level. the assault rifle is a fucking beast and i love the way it feels and sounds. may actually be my favorite gun so far. anyway, can't wait until i get a pulse rifle. they say there is one in the second level but i'm an idiot and have yet to find a secret in the 2nd level. oh, i've seen them, but can't get to them.

but i digress, back to the original question: it shows you the requirements for enhancements categories so to speak on the level up/upgrade screen it think.

Top Bottom