• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I can't relate to any of the people in this thread that have issues with the sound design.

Unlike the battlefield series this game has music, so it could never be mixed in a way where the guns take up the entire frequency range.

The scripting work on the music is astounding. A track will develop and change depending on the on-screen action. It's incredibly well done. I can't think of another game that has done anything quite like it.

I dunno I'm really feeling the whole package but the sound during encounters is one of my favourite parts. I may be imagining things but I'm sure they have different stems that they bring in and out depending on the action.

legbone

I can't relate to any of the people in this thread that have issues with the sound design.

Unlike the battlefield series this game has music, so it could never be mixed in a way where the guns take up the entire frequency range.

The scripting work on the music is astounding. A track will develop and change depending on the on-screen action. It's incredibly well done. I can't think of another game that has done anything quite like it.

I dunno I'm really feeling the whole package but the sound during encounters is one of my favourite parts. I may be imagining things but I'm sure they have different stems that they bring in and out depending on the action.

man, the music is one of my favorite things about this game. like you say, the way it interacts with the action on screen is great. also, some games are metal. this game is fucking metal, slayer levels of metal, in my opinion. not that the music is as good as slayer. no way, not even close. just the level of metal of this game.

BusterJol

Killer Instinct has a similar style. Music changes based on intensity. Also has music by Mick Gordon

3DShovel

Went to see how much this would be digitally on XBO and didn't realize that they don't have an order confirmation page.

I guess I own this now.

A big part of that is the engine. Earlier idtech were clearly not designed around mouse look at would frequently be full of low res textures popping in way too late. No such problem here.

Wolfenstein doesn't look nearly as good, yet still runs terribly on my system. This game easily reaches 70-100 FPS on high settings.

I think you're right. The music seems to change up when you do a glory kill, at least.

Didn't the Halo series do that?

Spoo

Just finished it. Don't know what my exact time was, but I replayed a few levels along the way for upgrades / secrets, so it'd be skewed anyway. Definitely in the vicinity of 12 hours, maybe slightly longer.

I'm just sort of amazed. It's really ended up being more or less exactly what I wanted. And the stuff I thought I didn't want, I ended up really liking too. Superb level design, great weapons, buckets of gore, a lightweight but fun story, a compelling amount of upgrades that actually work with the game instead of against it, secrets and challenges all over the place, slick 1080p/60 that, on PC, provides some of the highest fidelity experience I've had, all wrapped up in a meaty campaign that never gets boring and doesn't overstay its welcome. If this is the direction Doom is taking, it's a good direction, and I can get behind it 100%. Also, that goddamn soundtrack -- sublime!

Is it perfect? No. But it's such a refreshing game to play, that any small issues fall away fast and it just embraces a core philosophy of pure fun above all else. Legitimately curious to see reviews now, because you'd have to be one jaded motherfucker to not "get" and moreover enjoy the hell out of this.

Haven't played the MP much yet, and not checked out Snapmap, but just the campaign alone is worth the price of admission on this one. If you're on the fence with this one just hop the fuck off it and buy this game -- especially if you're wary of it.

Karak

Already posted my review in progress due to the MP. . But as far as this game goes its been a damned blast. Haven't slept since it came out and just sat down for some more.

Didn't the Halo series do that?

I mean Diddy Kong Racing changed music based on area and whatnot... but in this particular instance it seems to change almost every bar. Not some kind of gradual change the actual bars change based on the action. Also, the final fanfair of an encounter always hits on time.

Mick Gordan must have some understanding of coding because his sound design always works with the gameplay.

lazygecko

The single player campaigns of Battlefield do have music though. But that's beside the point, since that hardly has anything to do with how problematic the sound design is in the game. It lacks nuance and has too many of the same sounds repeated over and over. There's a general lack of feedback for several aspects. The mixing and attentuation frequently feels off. I've often noticed problems with how environmental reverb is applied as well, like you can be in one part of a room which has reverb, and then suddenly when you step outside that invisible boundary the reverb instantly disappears in a jarring way. Oh, and it seems to rely too liberally on ducking/sidechaining for the entire mix for all sorts of gameplay events as well.

I would be interested in modding the sound for this game, but I doubt I could really do anything more than just replace existing sound files. I know the game uses wwise, but I don't think I could do something like access and change parameters for sound events...

I'm contemplating buying this while I wait for overwatch. How would you compare it to id's latest offerings? (Doom 3 and Rage)

In spite of the things going against it, it's easily id's best game since Quake 3.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
couple of tweaks

launch options

right click on steam go set launch options type in

disable mouse smooth
+set m_smooth 0

if that launch option dont work go to c users saved game id software, doom base, open doom config, scroll to bottom and change m_smooth 1 to m_smooth 0

+com_skipIntroVideo 1

Arkanius

I usually don't single out users but....that post from the E3 2015 demo thread sticks out to me. That user... I mean look at that post. What a goddamn idiot that person is. I am ashamed for that poster.

From the Bethsoft E3 thread! Look at the idiot go!

Note to self. Stop judging games from trailers. Like...forever.

Bravo on calling yourself on being wrong :)

Doom is what we should expect our Popcorn entertainment to aspire to. I love the tone in this game, it's drenched in a careful mix of seriousness and camp that carries the whole thing. It's like Wolfenstein's nice mix but leaning toward camp than seriousness.

The amount of different weapons you get get including upgrades boggles my mind. The Speed is beautiful, the pacing is sublime, the collectables are meaningful and genuinely excellent, pushing tremendous replay value.

While I have some major gripes with the sound, boy does the rest of the game carry it. Probably the best game I've played all year thus far with XCOM 2 and Kirby: Planet Robobot trailing.

I'm contemplating buying this while I wait for overwatch. How would you compare it to id's latest offerings? (Doom 3 and Rage)

Forget comparing to those games, compare this one to some of the greats of this genre. It's out of their league.

Edit: I say this as one of the folks who actually had expectations for the game. And it smashed them so hard.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This game is well above my expectations so far.

+best looking game on PS4, or a very strong contender. It is RAGE on steroids.
+60fps and fast as hell, movement feels like the original DOOM
+doesn't mess around in getting you right into the game
+level design is great
+solid gunplay
+the tone is great and very much self aware

- Art design on the enemies is a bit weak, especially imps.
- Melee is way stronger than my current weapon inventory.
- Art design on the enviroments doesn't come off as "dark" or gothic

Playing it on Hard / PS4.

The single player campaigns of Battlefield do have music though. But that's beside the point, since that hardly has anything to do with how problematic the sound design is in the game. It lacks nuance and has too many of the same sounds repeated over and over. There's a general lack of feedback for several aspects. The mixing and attentuation frequently feels off. I've often noticed problems with how environmental reverb is applied as well, like you can be in one part of a room which has reverb, and then suddenly when you step outside that invisible boundary the reverb instantly disappears in a jarring way. Oh, and it seems to rely too liberally on ducking/sidechaining for the entire mix for all sorts of gameplay events as well.

I would be interested in modding the sound for this game, but I doubt I could really do anything more than just replace existing sound files. I know the game uses wwise, but I don't think I could do something like access and change parameters for sound events...

In spite of the things going against it, it's easily id's best game since Quake 3.

I think the sound design is way more complicated than you realise. As you get later in the game the encounter music has different layers that come and go depending on the action and almost every level has different encounter music.

The game is mixed like a music CD as opposed to a film, so yes, there is tight compression but I think the cleverness in the music changes based on the action makes up for any faults in the realism of the mix.

i64fanatic

Neo Member
couple of tweaks

launch options

right click on steam go set launch options type in

disable mouse smooth
+set m_smooth 0

if that launch option dont work go to c users saved game id software, doom base, open doom config, scroll to bottom and change m_smooth 1 to m_smooth 0

+com_skipIntroVideo 1

Mind posting the config file content on pastebin or something? That file refuses to generate on my end. I can't figure out why.

As I said in my review. Its easily at the level of the Wolf reboot. And higher probably.

The emphasis on projectile avoidance easily puts it above wolfenstein for me. Wolfenstein's best moments were in tight corridors with a bunch of weak enemies. The hitscan didn't matter, except they kept the hitscan weapons for the bullet sponges in the game which ended up frustrating me. Also some of the upgrades in Wolfenstein don't feel right. Doom fixes all of that with its own flavor.

Well, Amazon didn't deliver it today and wouldn't cancel it. Had to call them and they're supposed to return it to the shipper and refund my account. Not super confident they will do that correctly though.

Went ahead and cancelled my Overwatch pre-order with them too.

Karak

The emphasis on projectile avoidance easily puts it above wolfenstein for me. Wolfenstein's best moments were in tight corridors with a bunch of weak enemies. The hitscan didn't matter, except they kept the hitscan weapons for the bullet sponges in the game which ended up frustrating me. Also some of the upgrades in Wolfenstein don't feel right. Doom fixes all of that with its own flavor.

Some of the combat yep I would agree. But Wolf has some excellence in other areas as well. The best news out of all this is that we are even talking about them together. Which after the beta many of us didn't think would happen lol

Teknoman

I need more DOOM Steam friends so when co-op Snapmaps start rolling through (or even if we end up having a GAF genuis snap maker).

Steam Username: Teknoman.

Sullichin

Last weapon I picked up was
Assault Rifle
which is mapped to 4. My 3 key does nothing. Did I miss something or is it because I remapped grenades?

Karak

I need more DOOM Steam friends so when co-op Snapmaps start rolling through (or even if we end up having a GAF genuis snap maker).

Steam Username: Teknoman.

Snap is straight up legitimate. I think we are going to see some awesome stuff. Not as wide open as we would like but already played some last night that were a blast.

Some of the combat yep I would agree. But Wolf has some excellence in other areas as well. The best news out of all this is that we are even talking about them together. Which after the beta many of us didn't think would happen lol

True, Wolfenstein's narrative was excellent indeed, but I wished it truly broke from the modern convention like doom has succeeded in its gameplay.

I won't lie, the multiplayer beta made me very concerned about the final game and while some of those concerns were true, I realize that the design between single and multiplayer is very different and I'm glad my faith in the new Id team did not waver. It actually makes for an interesting design lesson in retrospect.

Adnor

Banned
Mind posting the config file content on pastebin or something? That file refuses to generate on my end. I can't figure out why.

The launch options should look like this:

EoztdDh.png

Top Bottom