• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Egg0

Banned
Just picked this up, installing it now on xbone.

I noticed that the disc looks similar to Wolfenstein: TNO. White text on red. I don't know if it's a Bethesda or id thing, but I kinda love it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damn, first Hell level is legitimate Doom. On hurt me plenty I've died about 10 times already, and didn't die a single time up to this point.

The game is fantastic.

Woorloog

Banned
Last weapon I picked up was
Assault Rifle
which is mapped to 4. My 3 key does nothing. Did I miss something or is it because I remapped grenades?

1 Pistol 2 Shotgun, 3 Assault Rifle, 4 Plasma Rifle. I think, but can't recall. I use mouse wheel for switching weapons so...
Go to key-bindings and check them again.
Grenades are "equipment", CTRL by default.

Think I might end up liking this more than Wolfenstein.

A big part of that is the engine. Earlier idtech were clearly not designed around mouse look at would frequently be full of low res textures popping in way too late. No such problem here.

Only issue I have is that death and damage can really sneak up on you. Enemy attacks lack a certain amount of impact and so it can be hard to notice that you're down to half health in a flash.

Agree with absolutely everything you said above and if this ends up better than WTNO than this will end up being the best shooter released yet this gen. It's just too bad I loathe the multiplayer, but the single player is really amazing so far and feels so good. Definitely the best feeling gameplay besides Uncharted 4, just so goddamn smooth. This was a really fucking good week in gaming.

I didn't really think about the health thing until you said something but I have noticed now that I look at my health percentage way more than other games. I think it may be a good thing though, it doesn't do the thing where damage fucks your screen up with red bullshit and heavy motion blur. I'm over that shit honestly and think it's cool to constantly have be aware of your health gauge and act accordingly. Just like the OG DOOM.

Love this fucking game! I may end up wanting to finish this before Uncharted 4.

Redmoon

Can anyone post DoomConfig.cfg contents of the file on pastebin?

http://pastebin.com/

The file refuses to generate for me for some reason. The location is:

C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base

If you still need this, here's mine.

http://pastebin.com/9YPNMttP

Just edit what you want since it seems you have a saving issue with the file and game

Edit. Apparently this didnt save my disabling of smoothing for the mouse, and I see you wanted one with smoothing turned off :/

Sullichin

1 Pistol 2 Shotgun, 3 Assault Rifle, 4 Plasma Rifle. I think, but can't recall. I use mouse wheel for switching weapons so...
Go to key-bindings and check them again.
Grenades are "equipment", CTRL by default.

Thanks, turns out I have Plasma on 3 and Assault on 4 for whatever reason. I assume you can't get plasma before assault rifle though, just want to make sure I didn't miss something

couple of tweaks

launch options

right click on steam go set launch options type in

disable mouse smooth
+set m_smooth 0

if that launch option dont work go to c users saved game id software, doom base, open doom config, scroll to bottom and change m_smooth 1 to m_smooth 0

+com_skipIntroVideo 1

Thanks!

I think the sound design is way more complicated than you realise. As you get later in the game the encounter music has different layers that come and go depending on the action and almost every level has different encounter music.

The game is mixed like a music CD as opposed to a film, so yes, there is tight compression but I think the cleverness in the music changes based on the action makes up for any faults in the realism of the mix.

Have you played Killer Instinct? That's another game that Mick Gordon worked on that has music/audio that ties in pretty tightly with the on-screen action.

Just a quick random question for those playing DOOM. Been watching a streamer play it now for a few moments and there's something I'm wondering.

While in the menus and stuff, are you bothered by constant fire effects and sparks? I know it's not a big deal, but I would think it would get annoying after a while. Maybe you're not in the menus long enough for it to matter.

Well, Amazon didn't deliver it today and wouldn't cancel it. Had to call them and they're supposed to return it to the shipper and refund my account. Not super confident they will do that correctly though.

Went ahead and cancelled my Overwatch pre-order with them too.

Amazon is starting to drop the ball hard recently.

I usually don't single out users but....that post from the E3 2015 demo thread sticks out to me. That user... I mean look at that post. What a goddamn idiot that person is. I am ashamed for that poster.

From the Bethsoft E3 thread! Look at the idiot go!

Note to self. Stop judging games from trailers. Like...forever.

I was pretty fucking dismissive of this game before I got my hands on it too.

couple of tweaks

launch options

right click on steam go set launch options type in

disable mouse smooth
+set m_smooth 0

if that launch option dont work go to c users saved game id software, doom base, open doom config, scroll to bottom and change m_smooth 1 to m_smooth 0

+com_skipIntroVideo 1
Wait so there really is forced mouse smoothing and it's not some crappy idtech5 crap?!

i64fanatic

Neo Member
this is the file with the mouse smooth already changed, other than that nothing has changed

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rp8deekbps6ds02/DOOMConfig.cfg

some people are saying the launch option for mouse smooth doesnt disable so i changed it in the config file too

The launch options should look like this:

The set launch options and the cfg file both won't do anything for me. I must have some bug. If I try using set launch options to disable intro videos or disable mouse smooth, nothing happens. Even if I set DOOMConfg.cfg to read only, nothing changes.

The weird thing is the ingame settings save..I just don't know where.

Thanks for the help anyhow guys. I'll just rename the .bik video files and deal with mouse smoothing for now :p I'm sure somebody will figure it out eventually.

commissar

Thanks, turns out I have Plasma on 3 and Assault on 4 for whatever reason. I assume you can't get plasma before assault rifle though, just want to make sure I didn't miss something
You can, you did. But you'll get it soon enough anyway.

If you go secret hunting you can get the weapons earlier than their <critical path reveal>

Woorloog

Banned

Actually, you can. I got Plasma Rifle just before the AR...
EDIT Beaten. Perhaps the PR is on 3 by default and not 4.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The set launch options and the cfg file both won't do anything for me. I must have some bug. If I try using set launch options to disable intro videos or disable mouse smooth, nothing happens. Even if I set DOOMConfg.cfg to read only, nothing changes.

The weird thing is the ingame settings save..I just don't know where.

Thanks for the help anyhow guys. I'll just rename the .bik video files and deal with mouse smoothing for now :p I'm sure somebody will figure it out eventually.

Might sound really weird if u use nvidia do u have newst driver. I couldn't find this file till i got the latest one

Karak

True, Wolfenstein's narrative was excellent indeed, but I wished it truly broke from the modern convention like doom has succeeded in its gameplay.

I won't lie, the multiplayer beta made me very concerned about the final game and while some of those concerns were true, I realize that the design between single and multiplayer is very different and I'm glad my faith in the new Id team did not waver. It actually makes for an interesting design lesson in retrospect.

Yep totally agreed on all this.

Sullichin

Can someone tell me if there's an iddqd / idkfa related easter egg. It does nothing just typing those during regular play :(

You can, you did. But you'll get it soon enough anyway.

If you go secret hunting you can get the weapons earlier than their <critical path reveal>

Actually, you can. I got Plasma Rifle just before the AR...
EDIT Beaten. Perhaps the PR is on 3 by default and not 4.

That's awesome. Thanks!

dc3k

fd74e3e5de.png

Dammit.

leng jai

Is the PC port much better looking compared to PS4? Considering the PS4 version I'd 1080/60 I'm tempted to just get that version.

i64fanatic

Neo Member
Might sound really weird if u use nvidia do u have newst driver. I couldn't find this file till i got the latest one

Okay I solved the problem. I had installed the latest drivers, but I didn't restart afterwards.
I restarted...and now the set launch options work in steam and the config file generated.

That is the weirdest bug I've ever seen. Drivers stopping cfg files from spawning. Okay lol.

Thank you for the help!

jb1234

I rented it and am somewhere in level 2. PS4 version. I'm enjoying it more than I expected so far but I die a lot and the loading times are really, really bad. Are they better in the Steam version? I'm more likely to pick that up.

argh, this is frustrating.

sounds like the SP is really fun, but i just can't bring myself to purchase this game knowing how much i hated the MP beta...

cool to see the positive reviews of the SP though, wasn't sure how this would go after playing the MP.

Well, I've been playing for about seven to eight hours and I am just reaching
and going partially through hell.

I've gotten a quite a few of the secrets and collectibles, the maps are surprisingly expansive as the game opens up from the beginning onwards, most of the levels I'm playing now seem to resemble something from 1993 or so instead of 2016. One thing I hope is that Id and bethesda didn't shoot themselves too badly in the foot with the terrible trailers and footage until that recent geforce video. This game deserves to sell, it is fantastic and I love everything about it from the MP to the SP to snapmap, this is a proper fantastic sequel to the original DOOM games versus DOOM 3.

I also figured out who gifted me this game, and it was a very close friend of mine who might be helping me develop one of my video game projects I want to do. Once he gets home tonight and plays some SP we are both going to jump into MP together and play for a few hours later tonight. Can't wait to play some MP since I've been glued to the SP.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Cheat codes work in command line. Theres one that makes it so monsters can only be glory killied n ur guns do no dmg

lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

StewboaT_

Early first impressions on the ps4:

Game looks good and is buttery smooth. Aiming and general gunplay feels fantastic.

The difficulty above the standard one is the way to play, challenging but fair.

Gameplay is balls to the wall.. It's FAST.

switching to strafe controls where jump is L1 is the right play

I messed around with higher Fov settings but surprisingly they hurt my brain. I think the standard 90 on a TV is the sweet spot.

The melee mechanic isn't intrusive and is vital to success.

Oh, and so far so good when it comes to motion sickness. For the record, Wolfenstein was one of the worst offenders ever for me.

Anyways,I'm pretty damn impressed so far considering I thought it would tank. I'll update my impressions as I progress &#9996;&#65039;

On level 3 there is an area you have to get to past a door thats on fire. Theres a control panel around its area but it denies me access. I've done everything else I can, how do I get in there

argh, this is frustrating.

sounds like the SP is really fun, but i just can't bring myself to purchase this game knowing how much i hated the MP beta...

cool to see the positive reviews of the SP though, wasn't sure how this would go after playing the MP.

Just buy it for the single player and snap map coop if that's your concern. I've bought other shooters for more that offered less than this.

Great SP campaign, literally endless snap map options(vs and coop) and a decent MP option if you want them. It's a very value focused package in my opinion.

Top Bottom