• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

FatalT

Banned
I rented it and am somewhere in level 2. PS4 version. I'm enjoying it more than I expected so far but I die a lot and the loading times are really, really bad. Are they better in the Steam version? I'm more likely to pick that up.
That's annoying me as well. Dying and rune levels are annoying because of the loading.

commissar

On level 3 there is an area you have to get to past a door thats on fire. Theres a control panel around its area but it denies me access. I've done everything else I can, how do I get in there
Near the control panel is a forensics panel on the wall. It'll show a ghostly trail of where the man with access went.

So my understanding of the story and lore of the game is:

The events of Doom 1 and 2 happen, Doomguy gets frozen in Demoncarbonite, Eventually, Somewhere along the line Betruger finds out how to open the portal to Hell again, and the events of Doom 3 happen, the lone space marine of that eras UAC station on mars thinks he successfully stopped Betruger and the invasion, but he only stops it temporarily. Time passes, relative peace is had on mars and UAC covers up each of the incidents. Eventually, a rift on the surface of mars(called the fracture or something in this) opens, UAC and some brilliant scientist guy robot(?) build technology to harness the dimensional hell rift. This apparently solves the world power problem, and he somehow starts or somehow someone starts a fanatical cult and religion within the UAC at large. The events of DOOM 4 eventually transpire, as Doom guy is found in a tomb in hell, awoken and retrieves his armor to take the fight to the demons one more time.

FireRises

freaking love this game, glad I decided to purchase instead of waiting for a price drop. The action is addicting and story line is there if you read all the texts.

Just buy it for the single player and snap map coop if that's your concern. I've bought other shooters for more that offered less than this.

Great SP campaign, literally endless snap map options(vs and coop) and a decent MP option if you want them. It's a very value focused package in my opinion.

see, that's the problem - i REALLY don't care for single player shooter campaigns anymore.

i even found doom boring pretty quick when i was a kid [until i started playing multiplayer, that is].

it's also an age / homeowner / double business owner thing - can't commit more than a few minutes at a time to game, hence why Titanfall & Halo 5 suit me so well [can play a round or two, then get back to work, and repeat the cycle, etc.].

might still give it a go, but i've bought so many games this year that i just don't play...

Doomguy doesn't have a name. You're thinking of Wolfenstien.

I'm not. Doomguy had lots of names. B.J. Blazcowicz III is among them. It's the official name of the Marine in Doom RPG, and it's explicitly stated that it is indeed the same Doomguy.

Then again, he's had names ranging from "Doomguy", "John Kane", and "John Grimm", so if it's all the same to you, he's got a multiple-choice past.

Simo

Man, I really can't rave about the SnapMap features enough! I've barely touched campaign today because once my friends who have the game got online we just bounced from one creation to the next. Some talented folks out there for sure!

So far my favorites we've played is a co-op "Final Doom" level with keycards and bosses, a riff on zombie mode in Call of Duty where you try to survive waves and earn cash for kills to unlock doors and chests, disco Doom and a Tower Defense mode. Lol

B00TE

So my dad, brother, friend and I all just impulse bought this based on this thread and some videos we saw (like TotalBiscuit's). Single player had us sold, but wanting to wait for a price drop. Finding out there was co-op in the snapmap stuff sold us instantly. Patching now, can't fucking wait.

My friend got the special edition too, that statue looks nice.

Karak

Man, I really can't rave about the SnapMap features enough! I've barely touched campaign today because once my friends who have the game got online we just bounced from one creation to the next. Some talented folks out there for sure!

So far my favorites we've played is a co-op "Final Doom" level with keycards and bosses, a riff on zombie mode in Call of Duty where you try to survive waves and earn cash for kills to unlock doors and chests, disco Doom and a Tower Defense mode. Lol

Before I posted my review I actually thought about doing a seperate video just for snap. Its actually insane. The amount of MP fun to be had there trumps the actual MP by a landslide.

My coverage. Rated it a Buy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqe248Pokzc

NotLiquid

Fcqu5tv.gif

The real game begins now.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
*over the factory intercom* "Unsafe levels of demonic forces detected."

That cracked me up so much. This game is amazing.

Simo

Before I posted my review I actually thought about doing a seperate video just for snap. Its actually insane. The amount of MP fun to be had there trumps the actual MP by a landslide.

My coverage. Rated it a Buy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqe248Pokzc

Yeah fully agree. As someone excited for Doom since the reveal, even I didn't fully grasp SnapMap's potential until today because I assumed it would be something for players to create their own competitive multiplayer maps and modes....nothing like a 4 player co-op campaign or survival modes or even a COD Zombie mode. lol

Like that Final DOOM creation...the author used low lighting so right off the bat you have a darker more tense environment and you've only got 1 life for the whole team. You need colored key cards to progress just like single player and the enemies and their placements are tough but fair. You all start with the Combat Shotgun but you can pick up weapons in the map including the BFG and when you get that far it becomes more strategic as more and stronger enemies start to come at you and now it's about trying to conserve your ammo and health and sometimes having to depend on that player with the BFG to clear the way or take out the 4 charging Hell Knights when you all have less than 20% health. lol

We never did beat that one but did try 3 times. The last time we got all the way through the green door to get immediately stomped by a Baron of Hell and his Hell Knights. lol

seph1roth

First level is like Alien Isolation, a false labyrinth, a bit linear, with some areas with secrets but most of it very linear...

But the second level, (E3 demo)...god...this is more like 1993 DOOM.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
FWIW: I've had A LOT more fun in the multi this time around than I did in the beta.

SnapMap, Multiplayer, 15 hour Campaign with replayable levels (where you keep all of your unlocks)...

This is one of the best values this year. SnapMap alone has so much potential, and the impressive stuff we've seen so far is definitely only the beginning.

If you're on the fence, make the leap. I was apprehensive at first, the Beta was pretty good, but this is my GOTY so far. Just fucking astounding, ID.

Redmoon

First time ever playing a doom game. Gotta say, I'm having a blast. Playing on Ultra Violent (will do nightmare after I finish this run) and its just the right balance of laid back fun vs difficulty. Only completed the first level so far.

I also seem to be a good map explorer as I unintentionally came across
2 of the 3 secret robot figures

Edit I have the Doom 3 BFG edition (never touched cause got it impulsively on a steam sale, you know how it goes) witch if I recall said it had the previous doom's in it. I don't really have a thing for older 3d graphics but are they something I should look into playing?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I keep reading that the campaign is 15 hours long but IGN's very mixed pre-review say it's 8 hours long. Now that would be a huge dissapointment. Hoping it's a bit longer than that.

I keep reading that the campaign is 15 hours long but IGN's very mixed pre-review say it's 8 hours long. Now that would be a huge dissapointment. Hoping it's a bit longer than that.

I'm already at the 8 hours mark and I'm pretty sure there's still a nice chunk of game left ahead. Playing on Ultraviolence, but I didn't find a ton of secrets, so if you are a secret finder kind of person then there's even more stuff for you to do.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm already at the 8 hours mark and I'm pretty sure there's still a nice chunk of game left ahead. Playing on Ultraviolence, but I didn't find a ton of secrets, so if you are a secret finder kind of person then there's even more stuff for you to do.

I try to find secrets but barely find any. Game's levels get very maze-like fast. I just don't want it to end too quickly. It's too good.

antitrop

I usually don't single out users but....that post from the E3 2015 demo thread sticks out to me. That user... I mean look at that post. What a goddamn idiot that person is. I am ashamed for that poster.

From the Bethsoft E3 thread! Look at the idiot go!

Note to self. Stop judging games from trailers. Like...forever.
From that same thread:

That was everything I hoped it could be.

I will continue to judge games from trailers. ;)

For single-player, is the double jump an ability you pick up or do you have it at the start? I've been playing for awhile and I just wanted to make sure I'm not forgoing a mechanic because pressing on the spacebar twice doesn't seem to work.

ekgrey

I fucking love this game. Haven't even touched multiplayer yet, and I'm one of the ones who thought the beta was awesome. Maybe it's because I don't play MP usually, like at all. Not since Halo 2 LAN parties actually haha. The SP is great though. Exactly what I hoped it would be. And the PC version runs like a dream. I've gotten used to having to make sacrifices to get 1080p/60FPS on my 970. I've got everything on ultra with zero dips below 60 and tearing is barely noticeable with Vsync off. Amazing.

Stealth edit: frames are actually usually around 80. Really wish I had a 144Hz G-Sync monitor.

bathsalts

Just got to Hell... I'm in awe this game was actually made in the modern AAA space, My only hopes for good production fps's were basically Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior and Unreal Engine 4 letting devs move up weight classes. This seems like its the evolution of Painkilller released in 2004 and was never really aped despite being on most serious top 10 FPS lists , its just as good so far.

Also the quad damage Plasma rifle sound needs to be the default sound, its 4 times as good and the power up is too rare to give me chances to bask in it.

antitrop

lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

Considering how on-point they were about references in the Trophy/Achievement names, I'm surprised they don't have a reference to this line in any of them.

Top Bottom