• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Jinaar

Laugh out loud moment with a collectible:

Finding a collectible, moving it's arm and fist, and then fist bumping the collectible's hand. So good.

Docpan

This game is so much more of a fucking GAME than uncharted. Sorry but I said it. It kicked me in the balls, socked me in the gut, and kicked me in the balls again. Then blasted Metal.

Wow!!!!!!!

Haven't played something like this in a long while.

FLEABttn

Banned
I really don't understand the lack of marketing for this game and why they didn't sent review copies earlier, especially after these very positive impressions here and what Digital Foundry said as well.

Based on what I was told - that the PS4 version failed cert twice for significant technical issues - my guess is Bethesda was not comfortable with the state of the code to feel like it was in a reviewable state until the day 1 patch was available to everyone.

bathsalts

For single-player, is the double jump an ability you pick up or do you have it at the start? I've been playing for awhile and I just wanted to make sure I'm not forgoing a mechanic because pressing on the spacebar twice doesn't seem to work.

You'll pick it up later, and dont worry if you see vids where they have it in levels you dont yet, you get to go back and play previous levels with current gear which Im assuming they were doing.

Buburibon

I keep reading that the campaign is 15 hours long but IGN's very mixed pre-review say it's 8 hours long. Now that would be a huge dissapointment. Hoping it's a bit longer than that.

8 hours? I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the difficulty, and just rushed through it without exploring the maps. Next thing you know they'll be talking about how the AI isn't very good. In any case, I'm personally trusting Karak's assessment that the campaign is over 10 hours long.

I keep reading that the campaign is 15 hours long but IGN's very mixed pre-review say it's 8 hours long. Now that would be a huge dissapointment. Hoping it's a bit longer than that.

I ended up on 12 hours, but I'm going through on higher difficulties and exploring for more secrets, so the campaign and fun basically ends when you want to and you walk away happy. Even if it's not the longest campaign ever, it's still amazing and stands as a worthy bearer of its name.

Doom is a really nice change of pace after Uncharted 4. Absolutely loved Uncharted 4, but I felt it was a tad too heavy on exploration, platforming, and conversations. This here is pure video gaming madness. I'd go so far as to say I'm having more "fun" playing it, if that makes any sense.

Raptomex

For those wondering. I can confirm the campaign is at least 10 hours. I beat it today on ultra violence and explored each level looking for secrets.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
8 hours? I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the difficulty, and just rushed through it without exploring the maps. Next thing you know they'll be talking about how the AI isn't very good. In any case, I'm personally trusting Karak's assessment that the campaign is over 10 hours long.

Actually their pre-review does say that the AI is terrible

The AI in Doom is not particularly smart, and you can rely on it to roughly converge on your location (even when it can't see you and shouldn’t know where you are). So if you run in circles around the kill chamber, shooting behind you and dodging projectiles, you can kill the majority of the enemies within — only after you've thinned the herd of Demons can you then start running forward and killing them by circle-strafing (running around them in circles).

Which reads a bit weird to me, because enemies feel exactly like Doom enemies should. But to each their own, I suppose.

I ended up on 12 hours, but I'm going through on higher difficulties and exploring for more secrets, so the campaign and fun basically ends when you want to and you walk away happy. Even if it's not the longest campaign ever, it's still amazing and stands as a worthy bearer of its name.

I'll take 12 hours. A very respectable length.

Doom is a really nice change of pace after Uncharted 4. Absolutely loved Uncharted 4, but I felt it was a tad too heavy on exploration, platforming, and conversations. This here is pure video gaming madness. I'd go so far as to say I'm having more "fun" playing it, if that makes any sense.

Well, Uncharted follows a more unpredictable set piece driven level design. It's also using hitscan rather so the two aren't easy to compare. It's not like exploration isn't a part of doom, it is, but I think it's more meaningful here. The core loop in doom is more reliable to understand so you always know when to pump up and cool down.

antitrop

Yeah, it makes perfect sense, because I feel exactly the same way.

I feel exactly in the mood for a game like DOOM after smashing through 15 hours of U4 in a few days.

Vee_One

I'd be hard pressed to remember much about how Doom 2 felt. I never liked it as much as the first game, which stuck with me way more (in terms of both gameplay, and the music/imagery).

I replayed Doom 2 this week and I agree. I think the first Doom is better, however, Doom 2 has more interesting enemies and the Super Shotgun

Playing it on XBO. Having fun with it so far, but I'm running into recurring issues where some character/enemies textures aren't loading - happening most often with the big beasts that jump around. Now I've started running into some issues with characters' voices not playing. Tried restarting from a checkpoint, but still ran into the same issue.

Hopefully it'll resolve itself soon.

Uh....

CiYhjokW0AAnDMP.jpg:large

Dubz

Surprise game of the year for me. I have Doom and UC4, and I'm drinking beers and playing Doom. Balls to the walls action, gore, and fun.

seph1roth

Nightmare difficulty is unlocked at start, Ultra Violence is not the hardest difficulty mode.

That said, i'm playing on Nightmare and JESUS CHRIST THIS GAME IS HARD!

If someone wants to play this game without glory kills (selecting the option on the menu), and only picking health and shields through the map, oh boy...he's going to have a bad time.

Playing on PC with a GTX 970. The game is stuttering and blinking like crazy. What's happening? I'm only at the menu screen and about to have a seizure or a stroke or both. Help.

wwm0nkey

Just beat it on Hurt Me Plenty. Clocked in at around 9 hours but I missed a lot of secrets in the last few levels.

The game is fantastic and I can't wait to play it again on Nightmare, also the story......isn't bad at all, it's simple but it gets the job done really well and I can't wait until DOOM 2 lol

MrBlonde

I died right after I got the chainsaw and then when I restarted the chainsaw was not where I got it and I didn't see it in my weapon wheel, what am I missing?

archvile7

7-8 years, something of the sort.

It's kinda funny at the time how Carmack was considered a reliable person to spearhead Doom. After Rage flunked and the scrapped Doom 4 concepts you have to wonder how much of the original game's strength in design was owed to Romero since he's the one more eager to jump back into the fold and make an old-school inspired FPS game right now, and since his recent Doom maps were actually pretty good.

Honestly, Romero's recent E1M8 remake map is kind of shit. Compared to some of the more complex maps you see running on some Zandronum servers, his map is pretty uninspired and doesn't fit well with the rest of the "normal" episode 1 maps. I dunno, it just didn't seem like a well designed map to me.

SP so far is getting a bit repetitive. It felt great at the start when you got the weapons and all but when you have them all and it keeps going on and on and on with arenas/challenges or following a hologram, get's old.

Snap Map on PC feels very much built 100% for console. ;/ I hope they update to have a separate PC category with more than 4 players and less restrictions, like for one, the controls of snapmap on kb+m...

archvile7

Just beat it on Hurt Me Plenty. Clocked in at around 9 hours but I missed a lot of secrets in the last few levels.

The game is fantastic and I can't wait to play it again on Nightmare, also the story......isn't bad at all, it's simple but it gets the job done really well and I can't wait until DOOM 2 lol

Hopefully in Doom 2 they go back to Earth...
again.

Kind of disappointed that none of that Earth concept art/levels/story made it into this game.

So I've been very impressed with Uncharted 4 this week on a technical level, and I do have a fondness for the characters that's making the story quite engaging, but I have to admit, the gameplay feels a bit bland by comparison to those other two aspects -- I'm actually having a hard time agreeing that it might be a GOTY contender as my time with the game goes on. That kind of declining experience is really making me crave something like DOOM, and man DOOM looks like one hell of a fun time.

I think I'll end up picking it up this weekend if I clear Uncharted 4... It was originally just barely on my radar, and was only there because my brother and a close friend of mine are both Doom franchise fanboys. I'm surprisingly impressed with the level of quality I'm seeing in quicklook-style videos and reviews in progress, and GAF testimony seems to be generally quite positive, too!

Quikies83

I died right after I got the chainsaw and then when I restarted the chainsaw was not where I got it and I didn't see it in my weapon wheel, what am I missing?
It's mapped to a face button for me. Look in control options under settings and you'll see the button.

Buburibon

Actually their pre-review does say that the AI is terrible

The AI in Doom is not particularly smart, and you can rely on it to roughly converge on your location (even when it can't see you and shouldn’t know where you are). So if you run in circles around the kill chamber, shooting behind you and dodging projectiles, you can kill the majority of the enemies within — only after you've thinned the herd of Demons can you then start running forward and killing them by circle-strafing (running around them in circles).

Which reads a bit weird to me, because enemies feel exactly like Doom enemies should. But to each their own, I suppose.

I see. I fully expected some mainstream publications to criticize Doom for being, well... Doom.

God the multiplayer is so much fucking fun! Played the beta but this full release is great. All together an epic game that came out of nowhere for me personally. Really feels like a shooter from 20years ago.

Top Bottom