• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Woorloog

Banned
Snap Map on PC feels very much built 100% for console. ;/ I hope they update to have a separate PC category with more than 4 players and less restrictions, like for one, the controls of snapmap on kb+m...

The 4 player restriction is probably partially influenced by the fact the original Doom was limited to 4 player multiplayer.
But yes, i hope they'll add support for at least 8 players... have ideas for 4v4 maps.

As for the UI, if you can, plug in a controller. Makes making maps so much easier and intuitive. Were i still console player, i'd be impressed. (As PC player, i'm merely annoyed by lack of UI suitable for KB/M.)

How the fuck do you kill those charging demon things you encounter later in the game? They two shot me!

Pinkies? Double jump side ways, use heavy weapons and hope for staggers. Equip runes that make Glory Kills easier to execute or whatever boost staggering enemies.

wwm0nkey

Hopefully in Doom 2 they go back to Earth...
again.

Kind of disappointed that none of that Earth concept art/levels/story made it into this game.

Well
going by the ending, I think 2 will take place on earth after shit hits the fan again since DOOM Guy is locked away in hell so I am willing to bet when he gets out it will be on Earth.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hi, I would like to give me thought on the game. I'm playing on PC. Getting good 1080p60fps with the gtx970 high setting.

The game feels fresh, the movement of the character feels really good and the blur effect is top notch. The options to maximize your experience are vast. Every gun feels good and the impact is enjoyable and frantic. It's violent and it's what we want.

Level design is very good so far. Big and detailed map with nice hidden object and areas. Classic Doom secret included. Feels like doom and metroid prime light. Incredible.

Music is atmospheric during exploration and gets electro/metal psychedelic as you fight. Enemies are everywhere but there's even more after you tear appart the heart of a big gory thing wich creates portal( can't remember the name sorry).

Multiplayer is your arena shooter at best + Leveling up, customizable char. and more. It's just fucking addictive.

This game, as a whole, is so so good. I hope you gives it a try and have a blast as I do.

Odrion

Banned
Once the dust settles I think a good thread would be to ask people which resurrected id franchise fared better: Wolfenstein or Doom.

I love Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood, but at the end of the day it's a story driven linear FPSer. It has good gunplay, and a good story that respects the property far more than anyone could've thought... But it's still a linear, story driven FPSer.

This game on the other hand. This fucking game. They actually sat down and figured out how to modernize Doom. Not "Let's make Call of Doom" but they looked into the core mechanics, it's fucking soul, and figured out how to spin it into a $60 epic. Giant sprawling maps with billions of nooks and crannies and secrets, a combat system that encourages fleet footing and risky behavior. And none of it feels like it's just a prettier Doom 1 or 2, it feels like a natural evolution of the series. Like somewhere in an alternate world they kept releasing doom sequels and iterating on the doom formula and id took a wormhole into that dimension, stole a copy of Doom 7, and brought it back here.

Joaby

Neo Member
8 hours? I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the difficulty, and just rushed through it without exploring the maps. Next thing you know they'll be talking about how the AI isn't very good. In any case, I'm personally trusting Karak's assessment that the campaign is over 10 hours long.

I played it on Hurt Me Plenty, the default difficulty. And I found more than half of the secrets. I was definitely exploring, although I gave up on a few secret areas I could see but couldn't for the life of me work out how to reach.

And the AI isn't good. I think it's a cop out to say 'but Doom's AI was always like that' because those games are decades old and AI in games has come a long way since then.

How the fuck do you kill those charging demon things you encounter later in the game? They two shot me!
Dodge to the right of Pinkys and shoot them in the haunches. A double blast from the Super Shotgun will stagger them almost immediately, if not outright kill them.

Vee_One

Playing on PC with a GTX 970. The game is stuttering and blinking like crazy. What's happening? I'm only at the menu screen and about to have a seizure or a stroke or both. Help.

At resolutions >1080p? I have that problem. Switch it to 1080 and then back to 1440p (for instance). Really annoying

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game is kicking my ass. Might switch to Normal.

Don't remember this much ammo management in the original Doom >_>

Oh no those are Hell Knights.....just shoot them (when you get the super shotty they are easy)

Those are hell knights? Lmao. I feel like I'm not really seeing the older characters properly here. It's the buff dudes that kinda look like the Rock right? They just run at you and slam the ground? Didn't think they were Hell Knights.

jb1234

SP so far is getting a bit repetitive. It felt great at the start when you got the weapons and all but when you have them all and it keeps going on and on and on with arenas/challenges or following a hologram, get's old.

I'm starting to worry about this too and I haven't even got all of the weapons yet. It's just starting to get a little bland even two hours once you figure out you've seen all the tricks the game has to offer.

I'm also not thrilled with the arenas, which feel like lazy encounter design most of the time.

Sub_Level

Those are hell knights? Lmao. I feel like I'm not really seeing the older characters properly here. It's the buff dudes that kinda look like the Rock right? They just run at you and slam the ground? Didn't think they were Hell Knights.

Its the Doom 3 design of the Hell Knight, to be fair.

I'm starting to worry about this too and I haven't even got all of the weapons yet. It's just starting to get a little bland even two hours once you figure out you've seen all the tricks the game has to offer.

I'm also not thrilled with the arenas, which feel like lazy encounter design most of the time.

I treat it like Bulletstorm and find new ways to combine weapons, moves and melee.

Its the Doom 3 design of the Hell Knight, to be fair.

Oooh. Didn't get too far in that. That's probably why.

Edit: I just realised. Doom is basically Bulletstorm 2 :O

Finished the game on Ultra-Violence. Not too difficult, but that might be my experience with shooters talking.

Anyway, absolutely fantastic title. Wish there was more to the story than breadcrumbs, because the plot they drop here and there is actually pretty good.

Time to completion was a little over 8 hours. Maybe 8 and a half. I did a lot of exploration, too, so your mileage may vary. If you speed through the game and don't look for Argent Cells (I found all of them), Doomguy figures (found maybe half) and Praetorian chips (I found most of them), then you're probably looking at around 6-7 hours.

wiQYAQU.png

Dueck

Banned
This doesn't sound like what I want out of a Doom game at all.

The QTE kill things really soured me.

That and all the "arena" moments. Half my fun with the original was from wandering around at my leisure without speed bumps like that.

Which brings me to a question: do the enemies get mad at each other and kill each other? I remember the imps and possessed soldiers would have some great feuds in the original.

Playing it on XBO. Having fun with it so far, but I'm running into recurring issues where some character/enemies textures aren't loading - happening most often with the big beasts that jump around. Now I've started running into some issues with characters' voices not playing. Tried restarting from a checkpoint, but still ran into the same issue.

Hopefully it'll resolve itself soon.

Anyone else had issues with this? I didnt check to see if maybe it was still installing stuff. Could that have been it?

wwm0nkey

That and all the "arena" moments. Half my fun with the original was from wandering around at my leisure without speed bumps like that.

Which brings me to a question: do the enemies get mad at each other and kill each other? I remember the imps and possessed soldiers would have some great feuds in the original.

There is infighting and there was a decent amount for me when I got into hell

Sub_Level

I thought I saw some soldiers shooting at the lesser weak zombie demons but I might have been seeing things.

So far I've seen tons of instances of infighting between all the creatures I've encountered.

Woorloog

Banned
Monsters can infight. There are at least a couple of scenes where the monsters are almost certainly fighting when you get there.

Provoking infight... I think it is possible but haven't done so. Gotta try that.

I don't think the AI needs to be doing anything more than it is. Maybe be a little bit smarter with the flanking, but increasing their intelligence doesn't really vibe with the rest of the game. Encounters aren't set up to be like shooting games where you hide behind cover. They are like puzzles, where you figure out the best setups, use the environment to your advantage, and are rewarded for your constant movement.

It's old school, but it also fits within the design of the game. Much like I expect UC4 enemies to actively search for me when they've found a dead body (and they do).

Really though, the platforming is the only element I don't agree with, It's just so intrusive to everything. I can deal with the arena shit, but the platforming is a concept I've never been okay with in FPS games.

That, and the MP is pure shit. Like total shit. It's unbalanced, unfun, and the concepts of the game don't translate well. I'm happy I paid 35 for this, but despite how much fun I'm having as a whole, I couldn't see myself happy with it at full price. The SP is the strongest point, and after a few runs of that over the next few months, I'll be done with this game for good.

Anksta

So my understanding of the story and lore of the game is:

The events of Doom 1 and 2 happen, Doomguy gets frozen in Demoncarbonite, Eventually, Somewhere along the line Betruger finds out how to open the portal to Hell again, and the events of Doom 3 happen, the lone space marine of that eras UAC station on mars thinks he successfully stopped Betruger and the invasion, but he only stops it temporarily. Time passes, relative peace is had on mars and UAC covers up each of the incidents. Eventually, a rift on the surface of mars(called the fracture or something in this) opens, UAC and some brilliant scientist guy robot(?) build technology to harness the dimensional hell rift. This apparently solves the world power problem, and he somehow starts or somehow someone starts a fanatical cult and religion within the UAC at large. The events of DOOM 4 eventually transpire, as Doom guy is found in a tomb in hell, awoken and retrieves his armor to take the fight to the demons one more time.

Thank you. I'm just watching it on twitch and couldn't get a sense for the story, this post resolved that.

Woorloog

Banned
Really though, the platforming is the only element I don't agree with, It's just so intrusive to everything. I can deal with the arena shit, but the platforming is a concept I've never been okay with in FPS games.

Between double jump and ledge-grab speed upgrade, i bounce around without thinking. It feels incredibly natural way to fight in the arenas the game has.
A big reason i love combat in this game, i've always been shit trying to dodge things by strafing...

Rafy

I completely ignored this game because people have said in the past it was not that good, especially the multiplayer. Now I hear from you guys that the game is actually quite good.

I usually don't like scary stuff but considering I am a big fan of the original game, plus this one looked more like an action FPS and has beautiful graphics, I was considering it.

Which one is it in the end? Is it any good and how about the MP? Do you believe it will be able to sustain a substantial MP player base?

Unfortunately, I spent what little budget I had on Overwatch (no regrets) a couple of days ago and considering this game uses Denuvo DRM, which I read isn't too good for hardware/performance, I was not that interested in it. For the reasons mentioned above, I am not in any hurry to buy it but I want to know if I need to add it to my shortlist of games to buy this year.

RowdyReverb

Wow, this game is really good. Love how it rewards constant movement. Feels like Doom, and it's refreshing in a world of same-y shooters. Playing on UV and enjoying the challenge (though I wish loading was quicker on consoles).
Also, those imp fireballs do not fuck around. That shit hurts

If you don't mind dying (a lot), play on Nightmare difficulty. I haven't bothered with the other difficulties, but this is one of my favorite gaming experiences I've had in over 14 years of playing. It forces you to use all of the mechanics, weapons, environmental objects, and then blend those into an evolving strategy that differs from moment-to-moment. Nothing quite like having no room for error when fire's raining down on you from all sides.

Woorloog

Banned
considering this game uses Denuvo DRM, which I read isn't too good for hardware/performance. .

AFAIK, Denuvo does not actually have impact on performance or very minimal at best. Those odd HDD usage etc. things were either anomalies or fakes, as far as i know.

Rafy

AFAIK, Denuvo does not actually have impact on performance or very minimal at best. Those odd HDD usage etc. things were either anomalies or fakes, as far as i know.

Good to know, I've been avoiding it like the plague and it looks like I might have been wrong to do so.

Woorloog

Banned
If Denuvo really had massive impact on performance, it would have been noticed and there'd be more noise about it, i think.

EDIT It seems the claim was "It degrades SSD performance and life-time" but there doesn't seem to be anything indicating this is actually the case.

Karak

Yeah fully agree. As someone excited for Doom since the reveal, even I didn't fully grasp SnapMap's potential until today because I assumed it would be something for players to create their own competitive multiplayer maps and modes....nothing like a 4 player co-op campaign or survival modes or even a COD Zombie mode. lol

Like that Final DOOM creation...the author used low lighting so right off the bat you have a darker more tense environment and you've only got 1 life for the whole team. You need colored key cards to progress just like single player and the enemies and their placements are tough but fair. You all start with the Combat Shotgun but you can pick up weapons in the map including the BFG and when you get that far it becomes more strategic as more and stronger enemies start to come at you and now it's about trying to conserve your ammo and health and sometimes having to depend on that player with the BFG to clear the way or take out the 4 charging Hell Knights when you all have less than 20% health. lol

We never did beat that one but did try 3 times. The last time we got all the way through the green door to get immediately stomped by a Baron of Hell and his Hell Knights. lol
Ya it was not what I was expecting

Between double jump and ledge-grab speed upgrade, i bounce around without thinking. It feels incredibly natural way to fight in the arenas the game has.
A big reason i love combat in this game, i've always been shit trying to dodge things by strafing...

During combat, it's perfect. In fact, it's a necessity and I don't mind it.

Outside of it, well, that's another story.

I completely ignored this game because people have said in the past it was not that good, especially the multiplayer. Now I hear from you guys that the game is actually quite good.

I usually don't like scary stuff but considering I am a big fan of the original game, plus this one looked more like an action FPS and has beautiful graphics, I was considering it.

Which one is it in the end? Is it any good and how about the MP? Do you believe it will be able to sustain a substantial MP player base?

Unfortunately, I spent what little budget I had on Overwatch (no regrets) a couple of days ago and considering this game uses Denuvo DRM, which I read isn't too good for hardware/performance, I was not that interested in it. For the reasons mentioned above, I am not in any hurry to buy it but I want to know if I need to add it to my shortlist of games to buy this year.

It's not really scary. The SP is great, but the normal MP is going to be dead in a few months. That being said, there's a SnapMap feature that allows people to create maps, so cooping in that will probably be what people play.

Ricker

Still cant believe how smooth this runs on the X1...and the game is pretty hard but I love it,still early on,just got the choice of the 3 upgrades.

Triz

I just got back from
hell.
How much is left? I rented it from Redbox and wondering if I can clear in a day.

Woorloog

Banned

Ah. As i understand it, this is something borrowed from Quake.

I don't mind it, those sections are usually short with clear routes. Frankly, i'd prefer some more challenge and more route options... And enemies while jumping around.

I just got back from
hell.
How much is left? I rented it from Redbox and wondering if I can clear in a day.

For the first time? That's before half-way point, i think. Or may be at it. 8-12h is typical completion time, it seems, depending on your difficulty and speed.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I just got into hell now
Holy shit, I have like 10 hours by now and this is like just half of the game

psychotron

Was going to order this digitally but GameStop continues to screw me. Last week I ordered a $20 digital PSN code with a gift card I had. Code never came. Order stuck in review status. Called 4 times, and they finally cancelled. Balance has yet to be returned to my card. Then I tried to buy $30 in PSN credit tonight using a different gift card and my credit card to make up any difference. Guess what? Under review. I called and was told to wait out the second order, and to go to a store and ask them to transfer my credit from the first order to a new card. Seriously wtf!!! I've learned my lesson though.

End of rant.

I'm buying this game from Best Buy tomorrow. Fuck GameStop.

FrsDvl

Just finished the first mission. I'm sold. Ultra violence seems to be the sweet spot for me as far as difficulty goes too.

Rafy

It's not really scary. The SP is great, but the normal MP is going to be dead in a few months. That being said, there's a SnapMap feature that allows people to create maps, so cooping in that will probably be what people play.

If the MP is gonna be dead in a few months, I'd rather wait and pick it later for 20 to 25 Euro. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom