• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

bounchfx

safe to say I enjoyed playing way more than I expected. It's a return to form after what doom 3 was,really. a great mix of old and new school game design. damn

even worse, they sold me on the glory kills. They work... really well. The only real issue I have with them is how obnoxious they were in all the marketing and previews.

this game... damn. pure fun so far.

Chuck

Still without luck
Enjoying the game, but really can't stand the hit x to restart and then hit x again to get in the game.

I'm playing your fucking game, just fucking go.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Where's the last secret on this map?

Can't find the damn thing and the map is not showing it)))))

I don't need to know exactly where it is, just a hint please.

Momentary

Banned
Man... the ability, power, and weapon progression in this game is just outstanding. Everything just starts to develop so much synergy together during combat. The game just feels so damn satisfying.

The weapons in this game just can't be touched in my opinion.

gunstarhero

Can anyone tell me how to get the second ? In the first level, outside on Mars? Is it in the big white door that won't open? Any hints? Doom!

Tip 1: Disable all gameplay-assisting options in the menu. That means no HUD, no crosshair, no objective markers, no button prompts, etc.

Tip 2: Play on ULTRA-VIOLENCE for your first playthrough.

Tip 3: Turn the in game music to 0. Turn on the Brutal DOOM 2.0 soundtrack, "Knee Deep In The Dead" (or, if you get bored of that, any "dad-metal/rock [Judas Priest, AC/DC, etc]" will suffice)

Tip 4: Use a mouse and keyboard. If you're on a console, either get the PC version or buy an adapter that allows you to use the mouse and keyboard like the XIM 4.

rite

B8Y95Ui.jpg

Err, have any linear, Call of Duty style FPSes actually launched this year? That's a pretty tired meme imo.

Buburibon

I played it on Hurt Me Plenty, the default difficulty. And I found more than half of the secrets. I was definitely exploring, although I gave up on a few secret areas I could see but couldn't for the life of me work out how to reach.

And the AI isn't good. I think it's a cop out to say 'but Doom's AI was always like that' because those games are decades old and AI in games has come a long way since then.

Thank you for your comment. I didn't think it was possible to play through the campaign on standard difficulty, while exploring a fair bit of the environment, and make it to the credits in under 10 hours.

To be fair, I don't think I have been paying enough attention to the AI while zipping around the maps shooting everything that moves (while trying to stay alive) on Nightmare difficulty on PC. And to be honest, I'm not sure how an improved AI would impact that style of gameplay. I mean, it would have to be much improved for me to notice it in the midst of all that chaos. :p

how do you do a death from above glory kill? Its a challenge for this one mission im on. I thought it would be as simple as jumping down onto a glowing enemy, but thats not working. Hes just falling down and doing a normal glory kill

Managed to recover a save from not that long ago from cloud storage. That's the first time I've had to use a back up from cloud storage.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Did you find a lever yet?
I... don't recall any levers on this map that I used, no. But there's this square room with the stairs in the center... it's almost greyed out like I didn't explored is fully, but it's right at the start of the map I think and there's a lot of walking needed to go there if it's even possible cuz some of the doors are closing forever in this game prevent you from backtracking (which btw is stupid in a game full of secrets and collectables to find).

Justinh

how do you do a death from above glory kill? Its a challenge for this one mission im on. I thought it would be as simple as jumping down onto a glowing enemy, but thats not working. Hes just falling down and doing a normal glory kill

initiate the glory kill from the air...
Do it while you're still high up, you zoom in so don't worry about being right on him.
I think you need to mind your aim too.
I'd get the regular Glory Kills from time to time too, but that might've been because I got too low.

just like mario...

Woorloog

Banned
I... don't recall any levers on this map that I used, no. But there's this square room with the stairs in the center... it's almost greyed out like I didn't explored is fully, but it's right at the start of the map I think and there's a lot of walking needed to go there if it's even possible cuz some of the doors are closing forever in this game prevent you from backtracking (which btw is stupid in a game full of secrets and collectables to find).

Start looking for a level. It'll open the area you haven't been able to explore, most likely. Near the area most likely, if there's a door.

It's nice to hear the good praise about the campaign since the multiplayer was pretty bland from the beta.

There are a bunch of really good game modes in the final release. It's actually really fun... I just hope it keeps a player base. It might be a little too old-school styles but I'm absolutely loving it!

Nintendo, please give id the Metroid license .

That's...actually not a terrible idea. I mean, Nintendo should help make the progression more upgrade based than key card based. But overall, not a bad pick for a team following some work in nonlinear 3D map design.

Mission

Is there a thread yet for help and advice? I'm on the map with the 4 gore nests. I think it's called the Foundry but I've seen other maps referred to as the Foundry on YouTube.

I've got 2 issues I need help with:

The secret armor in the room right next to where you spawn

The room behind there. How do you get across? I tried climbing around down there but I can never seem to get anywhere and I can't seem to get on the vent right above me, which seems most logical.

I've completed the rest of the map but I still can't figure out these 2 parts and the last gore nest is after my second question.

Please PM or answer here.

Mission

Is there a thread yet for help and advice? I'm on the map with the 4 gore nests. I think it's called the Foundry but I've seen other maps referred to as the Foundry on YouTube.

I've got 2 issues I need help with:

The secret armor in the room right next to where you spawn

The room behind there. How do you get across? I tried climbing around down there but I can never seem to get anywhere and I can't seem to get on the vent right above me, which seems most logical.

I've completed the rest of the map but I still can't figure out these 2 parts and the last gore nest is after my second question.

Please PM or answer here.

OMG... after I swear 2 hours walking this level I just managed to jump where I couldn't before. Nevermind... sometimes you just need to ask for help to clear your mind.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So no reviews available.

How is it?

Nada except IGN's pre-review score of 7.1 Honestly, this will be a case of a huge gap in community vs critics.

I suggest you listen to all of us, instead of the reviewers this time around. Honestly, this is the best FPS campaign since Perfect Dark. What a goddamn game. The kid in me, who played the fuck out of Doom on a soundless PC is very much drowning in the pure fuckwin.

AllenShrz

The audio is odd, like if you are playing it on an empty large room.

Im on a PC, no "audio gaming enhancements" selected on the sound blaster and my shure 846se as my setup.

Raptomex

Nada except IGN's pre-review score of 7.1 Honestly, this will be a case of a huge gap in community vs critics.

I suggest you listen to all of us, instead of the reviewers this time around. Honestly, this is the best FPS campaign since Perfect Dark. What a goddamn game. The kid in me, who played the fuck out of Doom on a soundless PC is very much drowning in the pure fuckwin.
I hear you. As a kid, my dad would bring me to his work and set me up on a PC with Doom and Wolf. No sound. Those were the days.

Seems like the campaign is fantastic, which has me very excited to play it once I'm done with work on Sunday. For anyone who's played it and has loved TNO, how does it compare?

Drewfonse

Game is so freaking fun and addictive. Kinda have had my ass handed to me in some spots on UV setting, but loving it. So many combat options, just terrific. And FOV slider on consoles? Awesome.

RowdyReverb

Any other controller users using the "Tactical" controller setting? It puts jump on LB/L1, equipment on RS/R3, and melee on A/X. Being able to jump and aim simultaneously is super helpful in keeping mobile during combat. I would highly recommend it.
Seems like the campaign is fantastic, which has me very excited to play it once I'm done with work on Sunday. For anyone who's played it and has loved TNO, how does it compare?
I really enjoyed TNO and I'm really enjoying Doom so far. It's even more fast-paced, the guns stil feel great, and it keeps the action high. If you took the stealth approach throughout TNO, you might miss that here, but it hasn't bothered me.

The Flash

Banned

TNO is an amazing story driven linear fps. Doom is an amazing gameplay driven non-linear fps. Both excellent in their own ways.

TNO is an amazing story driven linear fps. Doom is an amazing gameplay driven non-linear fps. Both excellent in their own ways.

I feel like TNO occupies a space between linear and Doom, the levels are quite open and allow multiple ways to traverse them, but they aren't as labyrinthine as Dooms.

Aikidoka

Just cleared the 2nd stage and think the game is really awesome- the jumping and climbing mechanic is really fun. It feels like if original DOOM was made to take advantage of 3D movement - albeit with modern approach to a directed story. Can't really say I have an opinion about how they are telling the story, yet.
I started off on UV and got owned immediately, so I decided change it to Normal till I get the hang of it (I basically never play FPSs anymore). Now I kinda wish there were more enemies and may bump it back up, but that could just be how the first two levels are supposed to be.

edit: Also it feels really refreshing to play game that feels designed for with the PC in mind.

Raptomex

I honestly think the level design was the most surprising here. Modern games seem to be very linear, some with multiple paths but this is very reminiscent of the originals. Sure the game still tells you where to go but I still didn't expect the game to be as open as it is.

Oh man just played the first two levels and this game really makes you rethink how to play FPS back to the original Doom. You have to run up and blast these fucking demons in the face. This is so god damn good. The graphics are surprising as well.

Karak

I honestly think the level design was the most surprising here. Modern games seem to be very linear, some with multiple paths but this is very reminiscent of the originals. Sure the game still tells you where to go but I still didn't expect the game to be as open as it is.

Ya the number of figure 8's, crosses, and overlapping paths that drop back onto one another are incredible.

Top Bottom