• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Joaby

Neo Member
Thank you for your comment. I didn't think it was possible to play through the campaign on standard difficulty, while exploring a fair bit of the environment, and make it to the credits in under 10 hours.

To be fair, I don't think I have been paying enough attention to the AI while zipping around the maps shooting everything that moves (while trying to stay alive) on Nightmare difficulty on PC. And to be honest, I'm not sure how an improved AI would impact that style of gameplay. I mean, it would have to be much improved for me to notice it in the midst of all that chaos. :p

Fair enough, I know that I was very surprised when it ended. I'd read the reports saying '15 hours' too.

I think improved AI would mean there was less onus on the level designers to trap you in a room. Improved AI would theoretically force you to either kill them all because you risked being overwhelmed by superior tactics (instead of superior numbers) or to never ever stop running. I'm definitely not the only person who has found the kill chambers to eventually get on my nerves. Gotta get those demon presence levels down to safe numbers.

RedRum

Banned
Oh man just played the first two levels and this game really makes you rethink how to play FPS back to the original Doom. You have to run up and blast these fucking demons in the face. This is so god damn good. The graphics are surprising as well.

This. I fucking started playing this all tactical and shit.

WRONG.

Literally, stick gun in demon mouth, pull trigger.

Czigga

Hey anyone having problems scrolling the Codex in game? When i look at a codex entry ie. enemy codex, when the window with text is filled up, I am unable to scroll down to continue reading. Anyone have this issue? PC version

Struct09

Finally loaded it up and finished the first level. Love the look, feel, and level layout so far. I think I'm going to really enjoy this one.

Mission

TNO is an amazing story driven linear fps. Doom is an amazing gameplay driven non-linear fps. Both excellent in their own ways.

Very accurate comparison. The map size in this game is just incredible. Both the 2nd and 3rd level I spent hours wandering around to get all the secrets and to get past that stupid brainfart I mentioned a page back. There's constant goals but it's very non-linear and you never know when something new is going to spawn right behind you.

RowdyReverb

I honestly think the level design was the most surprising here. Modern games seem to be very linear, some with multiple paths but this is very reminiscent of the originals. Sure the game still tells you where to go but I still didn't expect the game to be as open as it is.

Ya the number of figure 8's, crosses, and overlapping paths that drop back onto one another are incredible.
It's also really cool how the map shows you secret areas, but doesn't tell you how to access them. It's fun trying to work out how to get to that gray area on your map

Karak

It's also really cool how the map shows you secret areas, but doesn't tell you how to access them. It's fun trying to work out how to get to that gray area on your map

Absolutely correct. Its pretty rare that you have that "meet you half way" kind of game design. It works really damned well.

Hasney

Amazon Prime Now just cancelled my order, without giving me a reason, fuming now!

Will have to pick up tonight/tomorrow morning instead now.

Oddly enough, mine was cancelled too.... After I received it along with other things in my order. I Kay have gotten free Doom and pillows.

Dartastic

Holy shit. I just beat the first level and I'm absolutely shocked at how much fun I'm having with this already. Can't wait to keep playing, but I have a Prince karaoke night to go to.

Justinian

Whelp, first crash to desktop. No warning, no error message, just blam. I was in the moment too, discouraging.

I have had this too. Only gripe with an otherwise technically flawless game.

Go to "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Event Viewer".

On the left side you will see "Windows Logs" , look in "Application" and "System" logs, see if you can find "DOOMx64.exe".

If it's there, look for the "Faulting Module Name" and report it back here. mostly this faulting module name shows what might be the problem.

wwm0nkey

I would like to say this after beating the game, this had hands down the best FPS bosses ever, they could take a beating but are a blast to fight, if only other FPS games could have bosses this fun(looking at you Destiny)

How much harder is Nightmare compared to Ultra Violence? Is there improved AI?

Enemies (all enemies) will kill you in one or two direct hits even with a level 3 upgrade in health with full health. Without that level of health nearly anything will kill you in one hit, even at full health and about 50% armor. Unsure if there are more enemies.

Justinh

Hey anyone having problems scrolling the Codex in game? When i look at a codex entry ie. enemy codex, when the window with text is filled up, I am unable to scroll down to continue reading. Anyone have this issue? PC version

I had this issue. I think I just closed the journal and reopened it. After I checked other entries which weren't long enough to scroll I went back to the long one and it let me scroll with the bar on the right that time.

ieatzombies

This is taking forever to download on psn. I've been wanting to play since early today!
Fuck it. I'm staying up to play this. Just like I did with the original DOOM

chrixter

It was refreshing to play Uncharted 4 without any EXP or skill points or upgrade systems or any other character progression found in most AAA games nowadays, and now I'm playing a DOOM game with weapon mods and suit upgrades and I have to complete challenges for weapon upgrade points and find armor upgrade collectibles? Ugh.

Fun game, though. Enjoying the tight gunplay and the glory kills as well. But I wish I didn't have to hold RMB and then press LMB for alternate fire. Just fire it as soon as I right click.

I think the upgrades add a lot to Doom surprisingly. I probably would've hated it if I knew before release, but actually playing the game makes me realize being a purist hampers the vision they had for it.

Just adding jumping adds a lot to the game.

Does the campaign stay consistently enjoyable from start to finish? Any pacing issues?

As someone who is very harsh on consistency, I have to say, yes, it's a consistent campaign overall, you constantly get new toys to play with and finding secrets is addicting. And there's a good amount of quiet time. There is the risk of getting lost, but you still run into fights here and there.

I always forget to use the chainsaw :(
Maybe because the shotgun is fun on its own

Man, I thought I would hate the fact that the Chain Saw was no longer a DoT weapon. But changing it into a limited use ammo spawner in a game with relatively limited ammo per encounter is brilliant.

Alienous

Is this confirmed?

Like a horde mode in coop?

Yeah. As far as I can tell from footage you can make a wave based mode where you can pass higher difficulty parameters to an AI manager, or specifically place enemies.

SnapMap seems pretty exhaustive. You can make 1-4 player competitive maps. 1-4 player cooperative maps. You can add simple scripting to spawn enemies, delete objects, teleport players. You can have some players become a monster. The options seem crazy.

Teknoman

Yeah. As far as I can tell from footage you can make a wave based mode where you can pass higher difficulty parameters to an AI manager, or specifically place enemies.

SnapMap seems pretty exhaustive. You can make 1-4 player competitive maps. 1-4 player cooperative maps. You can add simple scripting to spawn enemies, delete objects, teleport players. You can have some players become a monster. The options seem crazy.

Doom horde in a well made vertical map co-op would be tons of fun.

I finally got approved as a member!

And for my first post, I'd like to say DOOM was my first game as a child and I'm glad its back. I bought it after all the early positive reviews here. I'm on the 2nd or 3rd level and I'm loving it.

I always forget to use the chainsaw :(
Maybe because the shotgun is fun on its own
How far in at you? At some point, it became instinctual to bring it out whenever ammo is running low. I honestly feel that's what it's best for.

I finally got approved as a member!

And for my first post, I'd like to say DOOM was my first game as a child and I'm glad its back. I bought it after all the early positive reviews here. I'm on the 2nd or 3rd level and I'm loving it.
Welcome to GAF! Hope you like it here, and the rest of the game as well.

Karak

Does the campaign stay consistently enjoyable from start to finish? Any pacing issues?

It does because the actual game is about the gameplay with the story around it versus so engrained in it that it forces the gameplay particular ways. It basically starts and the only time you will notice slowness is when your in the fucking respawn screen lol

Top Bottom