• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Teknoman

So can you put custom music in snapmaps too, or they dont let you go that far?

EDIT: Chainsaw is best for massacring Hell Barons.

And im still trying to figure out where this game takes place. After the original games or after 3? Yes I know 3 was a reboot. But Doomguy wouldnt be in some kinda magic stasis with his armor enshrined from the go without a reason.

Banjo

I was kind of interested on the game, but this thread made me buy it.
I just tried the SP for maybe 4 hours (PS4 version here), but the impression couldn't be better. The patch is downloading right now, so I guess it solves some tearing I'm experiencing at the moment.
Here are my impressions:
-The game is FAST. There isn't a lot of time to choose which enemy to attack first, so that makes the encounters funnier.
-The Gory Kills are fundamental for the game. When I saw the gameplay videos, the mechanic didn't click with me, but know I get the idea behind it.
-The levels offer different ways to approach the battles, so if you fail, you can change the aftermath the next time by just studying the layout of the arena.
-There are A LOT of secrets, for those that were scared that they disappeared.
I love collecting those action figures, and they made me smile every time I hear the Doom theme
-The enemies are really smart, but fair. I'm playing on the medium difficulty, so I think I will enjoy harder difficulties.
-I haven't suffer of motion sickness at the moment, something that happened with Wolfenstein. Maybe is related with the constant framerate.
-The aren't any performance issues at the moment, and a suffer a little bit of tearing, but I guess that the patch fixes that.
-The music is GREAT. I can't wait to Bethesda to release the OST.
-The loading times are really bad, especially when you fail the little challenges in game.

I'm really glad that I got the game, and I think I will spend a big chunk of tomorrow on it.

Simo

Yeah. As far as I can tell from footage you can make a wave based mode where you can pass higher difficulty parameters to an AI manager, or specifically place enemies.

SnapMap seems pretty exhaustive. You can make 1-4 player competitive maps. 1-4 player cooperative maps. You can add simple scripting to spawn enemies, delete objects, teleport players. You can have some players become a monster. The options seem crazy.

Not only that but you can set what and how enemies for each round and even have a intermission between rounds complete with a store to teleport to so you can buy weapons, ammo and upgrades with cash earned per kill.

At least that was one variation of a horde mode I played today. lol

Teknoman

Not only that but you can set what and how enemies for each round and even have a intermission between rounds complete with a store to teleport to so you can buy weapons, ammo and upgrades with cash earned per kill.

So Doom Floor? I like it.

Can someone who has finished the game or is close to finishing it comment on the enemy variety? I remember in the original dooms one of the main attractions was knowing that at any moment you could face one of the MANY enemy times in a lot of different types of scenarios. Do you get that feeling here or do you simply get to fight one of them and thats it?

Karak

Can someone who has finished the game or is close to finishing it comment on the enemy variety? I remember in the original dooms one of the main attractions was knowing that at any moment you could face one of the MANY enemy times in a lot of different types of scenarios. Do you get that feeling here or do you simply get to fight one of them and thats it?

If your talking about wave makeup yes its highly variable in fact its pretty insane. If you mean the full number of individual entities. Its about normal for a shooter

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just got the game and I'm enjoying it.

Only on level 2, or maybe 3, but how do you guys deal with the shield enemies? I try strafing around them, doesn't seem to work well.

Love it

Though why don't I have double jump yet? Gah. Would really be helpful for some of this (though I get it would defeat the purpose of some of their alternate climbing paths)

Finished Meltdown, hopefully I get it soon. Loved using it in the alpha/beta to climb stuff

Only on level 2, or maybe 3, but how do you guys deal with the shield enemies? I try strafing around them, doesn't seem to work well.
I mean yes circle strafing

Though if I don't want to deal with them I use chainsaw

Lol. Forgot I asked for impression. You guys really loving it that much? Awesome.

I'm neck deep in uncharted 4 at the moment. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks all, and enjoy!

bathsalts

Any point to some of the seemingly blacksheep weapon mods? Dont see myself going through with animation to something that isnt micro-missles or remote detonate. Going to take Siege mode on the Gauss Rifle next I think.

marrec

Banned
Wow. I did not expect this to be actually pretty fucking good.

The game plays fast and the Gory Kills facilitate that more than you'd think. The level design is, so far, top notch and reminiscent of the past. The music is perfect...

I couldn't ask for more, so far.

If your talking about wave makeup yes its highly variable in fact its pretty insane. If you mean the full number of individual entities. Its about normal for a shooter

Ah thanks, and final Q. do all of the previous doom enemies make an appearance somehow?? I used to love the sound of the big round flying demon dying...

LowParry

Going through
hell
right now. My god. This game. I...I think I like this more than Uncharted 4 (which I finished the other day).

Alienous

W447

Teknoman

Im glad there are new enemies too. Wasnt expecting the Hell Raiser...cant wait to see what other old faces and new faces pop up.

Olivia is creepy.

EDIT: The music isnt bad, but nothing seems to be memorable so far. At least not on the level of Quake 2 or Doom 1. It really hypes you up when stuff goes down, but other than that...

Tansut

I've only done the first there missions so far, a bit too tired to keep playing something so fast-paced, but hot damn this is definitely doing it for me.

Equip the shotgun's explosive shot mod and aim towards the ground slightly behind them. That'll stun them for a bit.

So thanks to someone who shares a steam library with me, I got to get in some Doom tonight after all.

Holy hell is it fun so far (played the first two levels, fully explored the second and found all the secrets). It's like Rage with more interesting enemies and without the driving around padding, and with less distractions.

I turned off a lot of the stuff under Game (hate the glowy enemies when they're stunned... hate the arrows... all that stuff can go away) and I'm so glad they give you that option. It's raw fantastic gameplay. The stun for health, chainsaw for ammo thing is pretty clever. I just wish you could start on a harder difficulty than Ultra Violence.

I might change my mind on that as the game progresses, but right now it makes me stay focused, but doesn't really have me fighting to stay alive. I enjoy how deadly some of the attacks the enemies charge up are though.

So thanks to someone who shares a steam library with me, I got to get in some Doom tonight after all.

Holy hell is it fun so far (played the first two levels, fully explored the second and found all the secrets). It's like Rage with more interesting enemies and without the driving around padding, and with less distractions.

I turned off a lot of the stuff under Game (hate the glowy enemies when they're stunned... hate the arrows... all that stuff can go away) and I'm so glad they give you that option. It's raw fantastic gameplay. The stun for health, chainsaw for ammo thing is pretty clever. I just wish you could start on a harder difficulty than Ultra Violence.

You can start on nightmare. The button is red but its still selectable

Raptomex

Im glad there are new enemies too. Wasnt expecting the Hell Raiser...cant wait to see what other old faces and new faces pop up.

Olivia is creepy.

EDIT: The music isnt bad, but nothing seems to be memorable so far. At least not on the level of Quake 2 or Doom 1. It really hypes you up when stuff goes down, but other than that...
Yeah. The
Pinky redesign
is awesome. Although I
miss Arch-Vile
even though he was a dick.

I might change my mind on that as the game progresses, but right now it makes me stay focused, but doesn't really have me fighting to stay alive. I enjoy how deadly some of the attacks the enemies charge up are though.
Nightmare difficulty can be unlocked with this command (I think you have to go into the game's "Properties" option in Steam and paste this into "Set Launch Options") : +menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1

I wasn't sure this would run very well on my 860m/Lenovo Y70, but some guy on YouTube ran the beta at around 40 fps consistently. Wondering if I should pick it up... I don't care about insane graphics so long as it's playable.

gafneo

Banned
Does the campaign stay consistently enjoyable from start to finish? Any pacing issues?

The campaign is always fun because you can make your own activities. If you choose to unlock a few parts for a rocket, you get an objective to lock on a witch while needing to kill her 5 times for a new powerup add-on. Game is well lengthed. 3 big boss battles total. There are rune trials in each level which ad even more replay. You beat these little mini games that reward you with a new skill. To get even more replay you can pull switches that give you Doom 1 stages. When you exit the game you can play full on remake stages from start to end.

AllenShrz

Kinda disappointing that medium and ultra are extremely similar, for me anyways, the 980ti is barely working with this game.

Jumping from this and U4, it really showcase how good U4 graphics are.

And sometimes when I boot the game it claws to 1fps and CPU goes to 50% i76700K, I have no idea why. Is installed on a SSD.

And the audio is still odd, Ive tired many things with my sound card but nothing, I cant get rid of the "large and empty room" sound.

Fuck these shield guys

Word. I just have to keep doing the exploding shotgun at their feet and they eventually trip up and I can melee them.

On a different note, the multiplayer isn't THAT bad. The matches are short and sweet and it's just enough to hold me over until Overwatch comes out.

TheRed

Everyone says Hayden reminds them of Optimus Prime but everytime I hear him I think of Ultron, it really sounds like him to me.

Man, 55 GBs is huge

I wish games like this gave you the option to only download single player or multiplayer, because I'm never touching the competitive online section of this game

Justinian

Kinda disappointing that medium and ultra are extremely similar, for me anyways, the 980ti is barely working with this game.

And sometimes when I boot the game it claws to 1fps and CPU goes to 50% i76700K, I have no idea why. Is installed on a SSD.

And the audio is still odd, Ive tired many things with my sound card but nothing, I cant get rid of the "large and empty room" sound.

Super weird. I have almost the same specs and setup as you and the game runs flawlessly with maxed out settings. easily one of the most polished and performant games I've played on this rig yet.

gafneo

Banned
Fun easter egg. Spoilers.When you get to the hell stage with the giant horned demon with a skull engraved in the wall
Shoot it's brain with a rocket. A cube flies out the brain and gives you a doll.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

I have the same problem. 980Ti here too.

bathsalts

Update your drivers, should fix intro fps. 980ti's crush this game, the only thing UC4 should be showcasing is how geriatric a 30 fps shooter feels compared to filling in demons at break neck speeds.

Yeah guys make sure to update your drivers.

I'm running a gtx 960 on everything Medium and some things Ultra and I'm getting between 60 to 90fps.

980's should be more than fine.

Hawk269

my first thought after finishing was "wow that was paced so well."

im a huge fan of old school doom, but it was far less "monotonous" than those.

How long did it take you to finish it/what level? I am very interested in the game, but have no interest in MP at all, so for me it would be for SP only and just curious how long the game is?

Justinh

I always forget to use the chainsaw :(
Maybe because the shotgun is fun on its own

Yeah, super shotgun is hella fun, especially fully upgraded,

but I never forget to use the chainsaw when I see one of those shield a-holes. I hate those guys. I always just use the chainsaw to get them out of the way quickly.

Top Bottom