• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Skitso78

I'm at the beginning of
Argent Tower
and still dont have double jump. Have I missed an upgrade or is it still coming later?

Justinian

Update your drivers, should fix intro fps. 980ti's crush this game, the only thing UC4 should be showcasing is how geriatric a 30 fps shooter feels compared to filling in demons at break neck speeds.

I had no issues before the latest drivers on my 980ti. Amazing how these things can differ for people.

Raptomex

Kinda disappointing that medium and ultra are extremely similar, for me anyways, the 980ti is barely working with this game.

Jumping from this and U4, it really showcase how good U4 graphics are.

And sometimes when I boot the game it claws to 1fps and CPU goes to 50% i76700K, I have no idea why. Is installed on a SSD.

And the audio is still odd, Ive tired many things with my sound card but nothing, I cant get rid of the "large and empty room" sound.
I have a 980ti and I held a solid 60 on ultra with no technical issues.

GTX 980ti
i7-6700k
32GB RAM
Win 10

Update your drivers, should fix intro fps. 980ti's crush this game, the only thing UC4 should be showcasing is how geriatric a 30 fps shooter feels compared to filling in demons at break neck speeds.

Ironically, the PS4 version is providing the most consistent performance across the board.
A benefit of dedicated hardware. I will no doubt buy the PC version at some point, I have a 980ti as well.

I know this is going to sound blasphemous at this point, but...

Anyone else REALLY dislike how doom guy moves?

Like, 80 percent of the analog range is barely used and then youre just full on running. It feels like shit

Literally EVERYTHING else is indeed, utterly amazing...

Jobbs

Banned
The first 10 minutes of the game made me happier than the first 10 hours of UC4, which I had to take a break from because it's so dull.

When the character on the computer starts spouting off exposition and in real life I started rolling my eyes and twitching, my FUCKING CHARACTER GETS ANGRY AND THROWS THE MONITOR. He channeled me. He is me.

The character in Doom is the only character I've ever felt a connection with in an FPS, because he's channeling what I feel when I play the game. He has no patience for bullshit, he just wants to kill. That's what I'm there for, that's what he's there for, it's a more immersive experience than UC4 without a single fifteen minute cutscene.

I don't want to say that all story focused games are bad, just that UC4 has been particularly trying in its dullness and Doom 4 proved to be an excellent cure to my UC4 woes

Hey guys, I've asked a couple times and got no response and I haven't been able to find anything online. So here goes:

Has anyone playing it on Xbox One had any issues with certain audio channels not coming through? Specifically dialogue? It came through just fine for the first hour and half of play, but then started not playing through my speakers. My speakers work fine for every other game/program/console, so I'm 99% sure it's Doom-specific. Am I the only one having issues like this?

edit: my roommate is currently trying the game out on a new save and the voices are coming through like normal - just like what I experienced during my initial 1.5 hours or so of play time.

FrsDvl

I really can't get used to not being able to reload weapons. I keep pressing X and then I pull out my chainsaw and die.

commissar

When the character on the computer starts spouting off exposition and in real life I started rolling my eyes and twitching, my FUCKING CHARACTER GETS ANGRY AND THROWS THE MONITOR. He channeled me. He is me.
I totally agree, except then Doomguy ruins it by punching the weapon upgrade robots, what a dick ):

ISee

I know this is going to sound blasphemous at this point, but...

Anyone else REALLY dislike how doom guy moves?

Like, 80 percent of the analog range is barely used and then youre just full on running. It feels like shit

Literally EVERYTHING else is indeed, utterly amazing...

He isn't running it's more like gliding through the levels at 100 km/h. But to be honest I love the speed in this game and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Karak

Hey guys, I've asked a couple times and got no response and I haven't been able to find anything online. So here goes:

Has anyone playing it on Xbox One had any issues with certain audio channels not coming through? Specifically dialogue? It came through just fine for the first hour and half of play, but then started not playing through my speakers. My speakers work fine for every other game/program/console, so I'm 99% sure it's Doom-specific. Am I the only one having issues like this?

edit: my roommate is currently trying the game out on a new save and the voices are coming through like normal - just like what I experienced during my initial 1.5 hours or so of play time.
No sir. You aren't using optical are you? No shit about 6 months ago I had an optical cable get pinched and holy shit I have never ran into the issues I did then. it was some of the oddest crap I have ever had to debug. Just a though.

But with your edit it may just be a corrupted save and a game bug

He isn't running it's more like gliding through the levels at 100 km/h. But to be honest I love the speed in this game and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Speed isn't the problem, it's that they didn't use enough range of movement in the analog.
You're either walking sloooow or running. They could have done a better job of adding a more gradual acceleration.

No sir. You aren't using optical are you? No shit about 6 months ago I had an optical cable get pinched and holy shit I have never ran into the issues I did then. it was some of the oddest crap I have ever had to debug. Just a though.

But with your edit it may just be a corrupted save and a game bug

I think I am using optical, actually. I remembered getting the same issues with Sunset Overdrive (specifically voice audio not coming through midway through my playthrough) and I was able to find someone who said they had the same issue and post what settings they used to fix it. And it worked for me. But even with these same settings I'm now having the same issue with Doom.

And I don't think it's a corrupted save bug. The vocal audio that's coming through now on my roommate's play through is the same vocal audio that came through on mine. But about an hour and a half in, it stopped working as reliably for no known reason.

After he stops playing I'll double check my speaker's settings and stuff I guess. :\

ISee

Speed isn't the problem, it's that they didn't use enough range of movement in the analog.
You're either walking sloooow or running. They could have done a better job of adding a more gradual acceleration.

Ah now I get what you mean. I'm playing this with KB/M so I didn't even notice. And I understand your point but I think their decision to not support different movement speeds is correct. They're forcing you to play the game at a certain pace and moving at full speed, while killing is often the only option to survive (at least on higher difficulties). Giving the player an option to move at lower speed would hinder game play.

I love that Doomguy don't give a shit about the grand scheme, he only has one mission

Last three sentences. Still make me giggle.

(doom 4 'story' spoiler alert... I mean seriously do we really have to tag for story spoilers in a doom game?)

clicky

The first 10 minutes of the game made me happier than the first 10 hours of UC4, which I had to take a break from because it's so dull.

The character in Doom is the only character I've ever felt a connection with in an FPS, because he's channeling what I feel when I play the game. He has no patience for bullshit, he just wants to kill. That's what I'm there for, that's what he's there for, it's a more immersive experience than UC4 without a single fifteen minute cutscene.

I don't want to say that all story focused games are bad, just that UC4 has been particularly trying in its dullness and Doom 4 proved to be an excellent cure to my UC4 woes

"Its highly unnecessary to destroy the argent reactors..."

*Doom Guy kicks all 4 in*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man, 55 GBs is huge

I wish games like this gave you the option to only download single player or multiplayer, because I'm never touching the competitive online section of this game

That wouldn't have helped much in this case: the MP stuff seems to be only ~4GB all up. There's no escaping id Tech and its characteristically large free space requirements. ;)

Well, I just stopped playing for the night. It took all day to download, but DOOM has been worth it so far.

It's fun, cool and retro. I like it. Maybe not as much as some of you guys, so far, but I like it. It's really solid.

I'm 3 missions into the campaign. I started on ultra violence, but then decided that worrying about finding health and hiding isn't fun in a game like this, so I switched to normal. Whatever that's called.

I could have probably beaten it on UV, but oh well. Maybe I'll do a second playthrough.

I played some multiplayer at the tail end of my session and it's nothing special but still pretty fun. Feels like an old Unreal Tournament game in a way. I got some nice kills with the sticky grenade (love that) and the monster transformation (love that, too, but only when I have it.)

How many stages are there, anyways?

I fell into the lava a few times in the Foundry and it pissed me off. The platforming isn't ideal in that level.

Alienous

I had this issue with Quantum Break, and I needed to go into the Xbox One console and change something there. I can't recall if I changed from 7.1 or to it, but go into those settings and change it from what it currently is.

ieatzombies

Man, 55 GBs is huge

I wish games like this gave you the option to only download single player or multiplayer, because I'm never touching the competitive online section of this game
Seriously. I've been stuck downloading the patch all day. This is really upsetting. I have no idea what is going because this never happened with any other big game I downloaded from psn.

Sickbean

So does playing this on a PS4 with a controller still feel like Doom?

Not sure if I should hold off on this until I build a new PC.

So does playing this on a PS4 with a controller still feel like Doom?

Not sure if I should hold off on this until I build a new PC.
I've played the series before this on both and yup, definitely checks out.

By the time you build a new PC the Steam sale will have knocked this down to quarter it's original price anyway.

I want this game but I cannot justify spending more than $40 on the game when I only want to play the SP. I really really disliked the MP beta. I'm so torn because all the twitch streams and word of mouth is making me want it more and more

Played through Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Doom. So many fucking great games. But Doom has won me over. So far this is the best new game I have played this year.

Karak

I want this game but I cannot justify spending more than $40 on the game when I only want to play the SP. I really really disliked the MP beta. I'm so torn because all the twitch streams and word of mouth is making me want it more and more

How long does a dang singleplayer game need to be for some people lol. BUt i get the dislike of the beta.

Top Bottom