• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

kagamin

Relevant:
CiY_3r7XIAAWkZL.png

How long does a dang singleplayer game need to be for some people lol. BUt i get the dislike of the beta.

oh I've read about the length of the game, and I'm sure that's worth the value there. I just, idk. I'm trying to convince myself to not buy another game with my already busy backlog! Hah

ZehDon

So, after the 45gb download, finally got to play. Just finished the first two levels, and I said God damn this game is legit. I've loved Doom and Quake for years,and from the opening onwards, I've just been constantly impressed with this game. It's not perfect, but it's bloody good fun. After the beta soured me, I was actually ready for this to suck. It's clear id are just better at their craft than Certain Affinity, because the SP is worth the price of admission alone.

Something I'm surprisingly enjoying - and I can't believe I'm about to say this - is the interplay between the chainsaw and melee finishers amongst the gunplay. I've turned off that awful blue highlight - the enemies' animations and skins provide enough feedback to know when you're ready - and the way it flows is actually pretty smart. I'm making split second decisions using situational awareness at speed, and judging if the risk/reward is there for the finisher or chainsaw to keep my health and ammo up. It actually feels really good, and adds a layer to the combat I didn't expect. Kudos to id - I was 100% wrong when I said these mechanics didn't belong here.

The visuals are also pretty damn good, and I'm digging most of what I'm seeing. Can't wait to see what else in store further into the game!

I don't know how to feel about the over-use of those gore kills, though. You can do it to practically every enemy. It ruins their coolness.

It'd be nice if you could chain them somehow, though.

So is this a Wolfenstein: The New Order situation?

This is a markedly better game if that's what you're asking. ;)

I don't know how to feel about the over-use of those gore kills, though. You can do it to practically every enemy. It ruins their coolness.

It'd be nice if you could chain them somehow, though.

This is a markedly better game if that's what you're asking. ;)

Yeah, if you have three or four enemies glowing blue in the same vicitiny you should totally be able to rip the arms off of one and beat the others to death with them.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Start looking for a level. It'll open the area you haven't been able to explore, most likely. Near the area most likely, if there's a door.
Ah, found it. I've passed right near it at the start of the level and didn't even noticed (> - <)

Now I can't find a way to get to this area here:

[
No levers, no switches, no buttons, nothing. There's also an open door above with the burning gas but I can't pass through there.

Justinian

Wolfenstein was a fantastic cinematic adventure game with great old school shooter gameplay.

This is a pure balls to the wall old school shooter with better mechanics and gameplay than TNO. You're going to have more fun with this game from a gameplay perspective. Story is hilariously self aware and minimal but what's there is solid.

In terms of a classic reboot being unexpectedly awesome like TNO, this is very much the same thing. Perhaps even moreso.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I give in! If it really is a good SP campaign like Wolfenstein New/Old Order I'll be pretty happy. Just picked up a PC copy. I would've preferred a PS4 copy to avoid the huge download but PC I could get much cheaper. I'll be playing.... Sometime tomorrow when the download finishes >sigh<

Edit: Thanks to those writing their impressions by the way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've yet to play it, but watching twitch for it all evening, this easily looks like id's best game in a long time, and a heck of a lot of fun.
This is the best single player shooter to come out of id since Quake 1. And I'm someone that loves Doom 3 and even Rage.

Quake II was a step down in terms of level design from Quake. The new Doom levels feel inspired by Quake as much as Doom due to the verticality.

As far as I'm concerned, this just put id back on top. This is the best first person shooter I've played in years.

TNO was amazing. Doom is even better. It's also pure gameplay making it very replayable. It has nearly as little downtime as Quake and OG Doom.

pa22word

After playing it for a while, this game kicks all sorts of ass.

Definitely recommend people starting the game out on ultra violence though. Hurt me plenty is just not hard enough if you've played doom before.

Teknoman

Ah, found it. I've passed right near it at the start of the level and didn't even noticed (> - <)

Now I can't find a way to get to this area here:

[
No levers, no switches, no buttons, nothing. There's also an open door above with the burning gas but I can't pass through there.

Look for a lever on a single platform, suspended high up early in the map
. Its like right on the edge of it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

Whats so special bout the classic doom map ? Its exactly same as the picture next to it.

You ask why ?

In doom your still forced to go on a set path. The looks are deceiving. There isnt 5 ways to the keycard which is every map. Its one route to blue red etc you then back track to x color door.

Im not knocking doom at all but i wish people would stop this shit. The old games just mask the simplicity better but underneath ur still forced on that simple path

Smidget

I want this game but I cannot justify spending more than $40 on the game when I only want to play the SP. I really really disliked the MP beta. I'm so torn because all the twitch streams and word of mouth is making me want it more and more

Go Redbox it. It's what I'm doing. I got it last night and put 3 or so hours into it. Dogs woke me up too early and now gonna put a ton of time in this morning!

Phionoxx

Having an amazing time with the campaign so far. Just got back from (mid-level spoiler)
first trip to Hell
and am at about 10 hours so far on Ultra-Violence. Glad I went with that difficulty and so far have stuck it out as it really does force you to learn the flow of the combat, some of the encounters are pretty challenging but feel great once you get through them. I don't want the campaign to end!

Also messed around with snapmap a bit, seems like it could be promising. I'm glad they were able to get the cross-platform aspects working, should help give the community legs in terms of generating new content to play online co-op for awhile.

AJ_Wings

While this game doesn't have rocket jumping, it does has some nifty stuff you can do with the guass cannon. It's not much but you can get a small boost if you aim downwards after a double jump. What I love about the guass cannon is if you use it as an escape mechanism by moving backwards and jumping then firing it would send you flying backwards. Good way to escape Hell Knight and Barons of Hell.

Having an amazing time with the campaign so far. Just got back from (mid-level spoiler)
first trip to Hell
and am at about 10 hours so far on Ultra-Violence. Glad I went with that difficulty and so far have stuck it out as it really does force you to learn the flow of the combat, some of the encounters are pretty challenging but feel great once you get through them. I don't want the campaign to end!

Also messed around with snapmap a bit, seems like it could be promising. I'm glad they were able to get the cross-platform aspects working, should help give the community legs in terms of generating new content to play online co-op for awhile.

Also on ultra violence but only a few levels in. Finding it 5% too challenging but that might be because I haven't been looking for the secrets. Do you reckon all those upgrade points are needed?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to be spoiled, so I skipped a lot of the thread, but how are impressions for the console version so far? I don't have a proper PC so that would be pretty much my option at the moment, and I'm a huge Doom/Quake fan, so I don't want to make it a horrible experience for me.

Just finished the campaign.
Final boss encounter and ending felt kinda anti-climactic.

I don't want to be spoiled, so I skipped a lot of the thread, but how are impressions for the console version so far? I don't have a proper PC so that would be pretty much my option at the moment, and I'm a huge Doom/Quake fan, so I don't want to make it a horrible experience for me.

Really damn smooth. Buy it.

It runs really well. Is smooth almost all the time, fast, and fluid.

I have had the audio cut for a mere second a couple of times and I don't know why.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Whats so special bout the classic doom map ? Its exactly same as the picture next to it.

You ask why ?

In doom your still forced to go on a set path. The looks are deceiving. There isnt 5 ways to the keycard which is every map. Its one route to blue red etc you then back track to x color door.

Im not knocking doom at all but i wish people would stop this shit. The old games just mask the simplicity better but underneath ur still forced on that simple path

You had to discover the right path, it was possible to wonder around and not necessarily stumble in the right spaces/find the right secret and there are more complex maps than that too. A lot of games in that era were targeting gamers who put up with the extra challenge and potential frustration.

Some games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne do challenge the user to overcome tough almost hair pulling situations and be a better gamer because of them while many games, due to cost and trying to target a very very wide audience, have given up on elements that do not make the game accessible to an audience with a lot of choice and very little patience. Being entertained without spending a lot of effort valued a lot more more than being challenged.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Also on ultra violence but only a few levels in. Finding it 5% too challenging but that might be because I haven't been looking for the secrets. Do you reckon all those upgrade points are needed?

Yes. The end game is over the top mean, you will need at least a fully upgraded suit. Weapon upgrades are not that important but they help. Also there's a rune that when upgraded gives you unlimited ammo while you're at max armor. And there comes a point when you will want unlimited plasma gun.

It's pretty evident ID put a lot of love into the single player campaign, as this game just oozes quality through and through. I'm pleasantly surprised by the sheer quality of the single player campaign. I'm also quite pleased with how the graphics turned out, as I've hated the way games looked on ID Tech 5 in the past. It looks like ID Tech 6 has been a nice upgrade, and at times, the game does look ridiculously good on pc.

Justinian

Is anyone getting annoying random crashes to desktop without an error message? It's happened to me twice now both times in the middle of combat. It's not like I'm running lower specs either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You had to discover the right path, it was possible to wonder around and not necessarily stumble in the right spaces/find the right secret and there are more complex maps than that too. A lot of games in that era were targeting gamers who put up with the extra challenge and potential frustration.

Some games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne do challenge the user to overcome tough almost hair pulling situations and be a better gamer because of them while many games, due to cost and trying to target a very very wide audience, have given up on elements that do not make the game accessible to an audience with a lot of choice and very little patience. Being entertained without spending a lot of effort valued a lot more more than being challenged.
New Doom actually managed to do that too. The maps are huge and it can be tricky to find your way. Hitting switches to open distant doors, seeing keys behind grates and figuring out how to get there, jumping and exploring your way around - it works very well. It's different from Doom due to increased verticality, but it's nothing like most modern shooter maps.

Dialog audio? I've noticed that can cut out if you go check the map or codex while it's playing.

No. Sound effects and music.

It will cut out just for a split second, and doesn't do so often. I think it only happened twice, when I picked something up or went to gore kill an enemy.

J 0 E

Just started the game and I love how "direct" it starts
without cutscenes and whatnot, even when the game tried to explain the story by an audio message the hero throws the screen away haha

the devs know what DOOM is about and they are delivering just that.

Codiox

Is console snapmap 1:1 equal to pc? Because it's Bethesda and I remembered fallout4 with its "mods" on console... Do we now have mods on PS4 in fallout? Never saw them. This is why I am cautious about Bethesda console stuff.

Just started the game and I love how "direct" it starts
without cutscenes and whatnot, even when the game tried to explain the story by an audio message the hero throws the screen away haha

the devs know what DOOM is about and they are delivering just that.

One of the best intros ever.

So badass.

No. Sound effects and music.

It will cut out just for a split second, and doesn't do so often. I think it only happened twice, when I picked something up or went to gore kill an enemy.

That's odd, haven't seen that happen on my Xbone yet. A few physics-related glitches, but that's it.

Omg dat cyberdemon fight.

Puts the warden in halo 5 to fucking shame

I kept thinking "if a game can look this good and still run at 60 fps on consoles, 343 really needs to step up their game."

Top Bottom