• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Lanark

Is anyone getting annoying random crashes to desktop without an error message? It's happened to me twice now both times in the middle of combat. It's not like I'm running lower specs either.

Had it happen once during gameplay, just straight to desktop. It happened twice during startup as well, but that's not as much of a hassle.

S1kkZ

ok, just finished it. the game is fantastic, best single player shooter since wolfenstein new order. BUT (endgame spoilers!)
are they serious with that ending? it just fucking ends with a cliffhanger and feels like its missing 2 final levels and a boss battle.

daedalius

That's odd, haven't seen that happen on my Xbone yet. A few physics-related glitches, but that's it.

I kept thinking "if a game can look this good and still run at 60 fps on consoles, 343 really needs to step up their game."

I feel the action and gameplay of this just puts h5 to shame as well, I just didn't enjoy the campaign very much. Not to mention the plethora of secrets and collectibles, so I might play it more than once, which is more than can be said of h5 as well.

But yea, doom is real damn pretty as well, and rock solid 60 on xbone, I'm impressed!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten so bad at fast FPS. I'm dying constantly on the "Hurt me Plenty" lol.

oh and without motion blur the game is way better on the ps4. Put smooth down to 10%, full FOV, motion blur off. my favourite settings

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I've already asked this but I'm gonna ask againnnn

Anybody on PS4 wanna play Doom MP or some snapmaps? All of my people don't have it or are in different timezones which I can't stay up for atm

PSN: Tashbrooke if anybody wants to

waving.gif

Okay. Doom has possibly the best fucking intro music EVER.

https://youtu.be/pamYUgQLtSU?t=3m45s

3:45 - 4:30.

DAT SHOTGUN COCK.

Just.. NGH. How it has the same cadence as the final beats of the music, transitioning smoothly into the gameplay.. It's the single best "Let's kick some ass" moment I've ever encountered in a videogame.

haikira

Is anyone getting annoying random crashes to desktop without an error message? It's happened to me twice now both times in the middle of combat. It's not like I'm running lower specs either.

While using Nvidia's 365.10 drivers I had this happen once during an hour of playing, although during about two to three hours of playing on 365.19 I've been crash free.

Obviously totally anecdotal evidence, but that's all I've got.

I've already asked this but I'm gonna ask againnnn

Anybody on PS4 wanna play Doom MP or some snapmaps? All of my people don't have it or are in different timezones which I can't stay up for atm

PSN: Tashbrooke if anybody wants to

waving.gif

I'm on pc. Does snapmap support crossplatfrom play?

jacobeid

Banned
Dang! Glad to see that the single player turned out so great. I'll have to pick this up after I get through Uncharted 4 and Far Harbor next week.

NotLiquid

Y'know even if Doom's multiplayer isn't the best, I'm kind of glad that id outsourced the development of that. It means they could go all in on the actual campaign which is fantastic as hell, and even if the multiplayer isn't amazing it's still decent enough to complement the package for those that may like it, which is to say nothing of the potential for SnapMap.

This is one meaty game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So does playing this on a PS4 with a controller still feel like Doom?

Not sure if I should hold off on this until I build a new PC.

Seriously? Doom has been ported to pretty much every console and controller since it first launched. It wasn't even until Doom 3 that you were offered mouse aiming even on PC.

Justinian

While using Nvidia's 365.10 drivers I had this happen once during an hour of playing, although during about two to three hours of playing on 365.19 I've been crash free.

Obviously totally anecdotal evidence, but that's all I've got.

Well I've had one crash on each driver version you mentioned so it doesn't seem like driver updates fixed anything. So annoying.

Seriously? Doom has been ported to pretty much every console and controller since it first launched. It wasn't even until Doom 3 that you were offered mouse aiming even on PC.

Well this isn't a 2.5D game anymore. This game belongs to the realm of 3D shooters, and the game which honed all of their movement (and which this game is most closest too), is actually quak, which was what popularised kb + m and "wasd" in the first place.

Also, didn't doom '95 have mouse support?

This game is kinda hard for me even on normal. You really get crippled when you play with a controller for years. My mouse aiming is pretty horrible. But I think I am getting better, lol.

Mman235

Whats so special bout the classic doom map ? Its exactly same as the picture next to it.

You ask why ?

In doom your still forced to go on a set path. The looks are deceiving. There isnt 5 ways to the keycard which is every map. Its one route to blue red etc you then back track to x color door.

Im not knocking doom at all but i wish people would stop this shit. The old games just mask the simplicity better but underneath ur still forced on that simple path

Except this is wrong? How you approach levels in the original Doom games can completely change how you experience different encounters and make replays very different. On top of that there's the puzzle elements, large secrets and optional areas (some of which are almost bigger than the main map they're in) and environmental hazards, all of which are almost entirely absent in modern FPS (outside of open-world ones anyway, which go the opposite way and just make things completely unfocused).

Nevermind that everything in games is an illusion, and there's nothing wrong with creating the illusion of freedom, especially when the current style is to not even try and mask the lack of it. Thankfully the new Doom seems to do that too, though I'll need to play it myself to confirm that.

u4ea

Yeah, getting them a lot actually, more than once an hour.

HiiiLife

Game is cool. Dunno how I rank compared to the new order but the graphics look great on Xbox one. Was the story in doom ever anything to write home about? Because it isn't pulling me in like the gameplay does.

Was the story in doom ever anything to write home about?

Nah, it adds to the atmosphere but that's about it.
Honestly, for Doom I think that's the way to go. I like good stories and all but that's not what Doom is about and it shouldn't try to be either. They made the right choice in keeping it minimalistic.

pa22word

If you're playing on PC start on Ultra Violence and use the simple crosshair. Makes the game like so much more enjoyable to play.

Shifty

Loving the game, it's completely fantastic. So nice to have old-school run'n'gun back!

My only real gripe so far: WHY IS MOUSE SMOOTHING ON BY DEFAULT AND NOT IN THE OPTIONS MENU?
Played all the way up to the first hell stage with wonky aiming last night because of that. Not pleased.

HiiiLife

Can't say I'm really digging the multi tho. Just isn't clicking. Gameplay suits single player perfectly. I really wanna try freeze tag as well, but I guess nobody in the world is online lmao.

msv

Is there a slight auto aim for the assault rifle on PC? Seems slightly too easy to hit at a distance.

The crosshair is grey with me BTW, is there any way to fix that? Keep losing track of where the crosshair is.

Can't say I'm really digging the multi tho. Just isn't clicking. Gameplay suits single player perfectly. I really wanna try freeze tag as well, but I guess nobody in the world is online lmao.

The multiplayer reminds me too much of Halo 4. It's fun, but not for a long time.

d3vnull

The assault rifle with the full upgraded mini rocket mod turned out to be my favourite weapon. So much fun.

I need that sound that plays when you find the little doom guys for my phone. So good.

Love this game.

Top Bottom