• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

T.O.P

Banned
I only played for about an hour but holy fuck, this is everything i've wanted for a Doom game in a long ass time

Also, constant 60fps with everything maxed on a 970oc, the new ID6 is absolutely amazing

Ordered a code from Simplygames...

over an hour ago and still hasn't arrived >_>

Oh well. i suppose its an excuse to download Final Doom etc and try them at last.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
New Doom actually managed to do that too. The maps are huge and it can be tricky to find your way. Hitting switches to open distant doors, seeing keys behind grates and figuring out how to get there, jumping and exploring your way around - it works very well. It's different from Doom due to increased verticality, but it's nothing like most modern shooter maps.

I am starting to see that as I progress through the PS4 version, but I also learned two things...

1.)Cannot play with inverted Y axis on consoles FPS any longer (at least not on this game with the default settings)

and

2.) 90° FOV is making me a bit sick... yet, 110° FOV seems too much on the opposite side of the spectrum. What do you guys use on consoles and normal TV?

... Yes, I am having a freaking blast with this game so far :).

Freeman76

Just finished mission 1, pretty decent game can see it getting a bit repetitious but hopefully not. Scoured the level as much as i thought possible and missed 3 secrets, so they must be well hidden.

ieatzombies

It's now been 23 hours of download on psn😑. When will I get to play this. Damn. Hate to beat the drum. What in great scotts anus is going on with this game on the network? Never went through this before.
I was thinking about downloading UC4 on psn. I'm almost saying hell no now. Maybe I'll just use the money on indie games now.

Simo

Hmm anyone issues while trying to record gameplay footage on PS4 via the Share button? I usually double press the share button to start saving the 15 minutes of gameplay but for Doom it's not doing that: like it seems to only save various bits thats not even footage of when I first started recording so my gallery is videos ranging from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes?

I've never had this issue with other titles and it's kind of pissing me off because all the fucking great moments I've had and thought I've recorded only to have nothing. lol

mcz117chief

Do you guys have blood or gibs in the game? I play on ultra and there is almost none, just a bit of pinkish blood every time I hit someone but no persistent blood or flowing blood on the ground, really disappointed with that.

Since I play Killing Floor 2 a lot and I see this...
PracticalLastGnu.gif

I was very disappointed at the amount of blood and gibs (or lack thereof) in Doom. Maybe I am missing some settings but really the game looks really flat, without any texture, colour or decent shadows. Is it possible that there is something wrong with my settings? Any help would be appreciated!

Does id maybe plan to add flex as an update? That would be great!

[Fugo]

Currently playing at the default difficulty level, I'm no FPS expert but the nostalgia call was to strong and so far I'm having a blast. I have to stay focused otherwise I die really fast, a thing that I like.
Already looking into replaying the game in the future, what does change with higher difficulty levels? I hope it's just better AI/more enemies/less drops. I don't want to face bullet sponges!

pa22word

Not with a 660. I went with the console version.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Someone posted some bench numbers in the PC ot and a 660 was pulling 22 fps on ultra at 1080p. Seems to me you probably could easily get a playable framerate by dipping the resolution and dropping most of the settings to low.

Personally, I would much rather deal with playing the game at 720p and low @ 30 FPS with mouse and keyboard than 1080p60 on PS4 and be forced to use a pad. That's just me, though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Personally, I would much rather deal with playing the game at 720p and low @ 30 FPS with mouse and keyboard than 1080p60 on PS4 and be forced to use a pad. That's just me, though.

That's just crazy talk considering this is a title developed with consoles in mind. It plays extremely well with a gamepad.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Someone posted some bench numbers in the PC ot and a 660 was pulling 22 fps on ultra at 1080p. Seems to me you probably could easily get a playable framerate by dipping the resolution and dropping most of the settings to low.

You and maybe three other people on the planet. :lol

I always play with a pad, even on PC.

LogN

I am having a blast with this game!

Upped the FoV to 120 (PC) and started my sprint, it's like I'm playing Doom (original) all over again!

The feels I'm getting are just like when I played it originally over 20 years ago!

Is it fun getting dominated so hard you want to quit gaming forever anytime you play an FPS without aim assist?

Considering most games that offer controller support give aim assist as well, I think I'm gonna be gaming for a while yet.

Keep tooting that superiority horn. Your ship sailed a few year ago, though, don't think it's coming back.

Meanwhile I'll be having fun with my games, whatever way I want to play them.

As do I, but this really is the definition of a twitch shooter, this controls very differently to current FPS's and I would emplore anyone using a PC to not use a controller with this game, and this coming from someone that normally uses a controller for most PC games.

Eh, considering it's been developed with consoles in mind, as well, I think you're fine with whatever option you choose. If people can beat Dark Souls with a Guitar Hero controller, they can play Doom with a gamepad just fine.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

I always play with a pad, even on PC.

As do I, but this really is the definition of a twitch shooter, this controls very differently to current FPS's and I would emplore anyone using a PC to not use a controller with this game, and this is coming from someone that normally uses a controller for most PC games.

ISee

Secret hunting is actually quiet fun in this game... I went back and did all secrets/secret levels for the first 3 missions but still no double jump. Did I miss something? Other people seem to already have double jump...

Top Bottom