• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Drewfonse

I don't know how to feel about the over-use of those gore kills, though. You can do it to practically every enemy. It ruins their coolness.

It'd be nice if you could chain them somehow, though.

This is a markedly better game if that's what you're asking. ;)

Turn it back to Ultra Violence. That'll take care of that.

zoukka

How do you access the secret area in the first level? There's a door that leads to it but it doesn't react to anything.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Eh, considering it's been developed with consoles in mind, as well, I think you're fine with whatever option you choose. If people can beat Dark Souls with a Guitar Hero controller, they can play Doom with a gamepad just fine.

Yes if you want to use a guiter controller to beat doom I'm not going to complain, I'm certainly not belittling anyone that chooses to use a controller, I'm just trying to emphasize that this game more than most other FPS's really works best with a mouse and keyboard, I love using the 360 pad on my PC but this the first game I genuinely felt it was holding me back, put is this way, can you imagine playing UT3 back in the day with a controller?

Yes if you want to use a guiter controller to beat doom I'm not going to complain, I'm certainly not belittling anyone that chooses to use a controller, I'm just trying to emphasize that this game more than most other FPS's really works best with a mouse and keyboard, I love using the 360 pad on my PC but this the first game I genuinely felt it was holding me back, put is thus way, can you imagine playing UT3 back in the day with a controller?

Fair enough, I'm just glad we have options.

As do I, but this really is the definition of a twitch shooter, this controls very differently to current FPS's and I would emplore anyone using a PC to not use a controller with this game, and this is coming from someone that normally uses a controller for most PC games.

I tried to use a mouse with this game but I was all over the place. It was either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

I would assume it's more my position lying on the couch though. Pretty much why I have to use the controller. However I turned up the sensitivity and I'm killing dudes fast and furious.

Cyberius

What's the difficulty jump from Hurt Me Plenty to Ultra-Violence like? I've been playing on HMP, but I've only had a few deaths from enemies so far. I'm only about 4-5 missions in and wondering if it gets tougher or if I need to jump up to the next difficulty.

deim0s

What's the difficulty jump from Hurt Me Plenty to Ultra-Violence like? I've been playing on HMP, but I've only had a few deaths from enemies so far. I'm only about 4-5 missions in and wondering if it gets tougher or if I need to jump up to the next difficulty.

Ultra-violence should be pegged as "normal".

e_i

Playing the Xbone version. Shooting is tight. Framerate smooth as a baby's bottom. Game is fast as fuck. I love it!

Jito

Banned
Remember when everyone thought this was going to be bad? Should be big servings of crow going round here right now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I actually think it's a been quite refreshing enjoying this game with no reviews out, just taking the game as it is.

Joaby

Neo Member
Combat shotgun is an absolute beast in multiplayer. Shreds people even at mid-distance. Best weapon in multiplayer imho.

It's so weird because it's a redundant shitheap in the singleplayer. Actually the Super Shotty is terrible in MP, which is a reverse of the singleplayer as well. My favourite weapon is the Chaingun, especially when there are Prowlers about.

I actually think it's a been quite refreshing enjoying this game with no reviews out, just taking the game as it is.

It really feels like this game is a complete surprise to most people in that a lot of negativity was surrounding it. Why better footage was not shown earlier on I do not know.

I have played just over an hour of the game and it is brilliant; the fast paced action and music is intense. I can see myself replaying the game a load of times for the secrets and to experience it all again.

zoukka

Do you even need the iron sight aim? Using glory kills feels just bad on keyboard, I'm thinking of mapping it to mouse 2

epmode

Secret hunting is actually quiet fun in this game... I went back and did all secrets/secret levels for the first 3 missions but still no double jump.

I don't have the double-jump either. Is it one of those things that the game will force on you or is it a secret?

Do you even need the iron sight aim? Using glory kills feels just bad on keyboard, I'm thinking of mapping it to mouse 2

I put melee/glory on a mouse thumb button. Seems to be an improvement.

I got mine mapped to the side mouse button 1 and the chainsaw to the other side mouse button. It feels a lot more fluid for me using this configuration.

I have kept the RMB as-is for the secondary features of the guns.

Remember when everyone thought this was going to be bad? Should be big servings of crow going round here right now.

Yeah? How's that multi-player?

Everything needs to be accounted for and with no reviews it's too early to say people should be eating crow

Games been out 1 full day, chill

Jito

Banned

Still a lot of fun, thanks for asking.

I don't need reviews to tell me if a game is good, I've got it myself and I've made up my mind.

Crow shall be eaten.

Edit: Do you even have the game yet? You were popping around asking questions like you don't own it yesterday? How can you pass any sort of judgement on it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The ambient music in mission 6. Holy shit that is good. Slow, moody, sinister version of E1M5. This game just doesn't stop.

E1M2 music also partially shows up in that mission.

Justinh

Yeah, going back to earlier levels with all your new stuff is really fun. I've played through the first few levels a few times over seeking out secrets and getting the mastery things done.
The first stage was good for the SuperShotgun and the MicroRockets.

This was pretty much the last I played last night when I was like "okay, it's time to go to bed..." Some butt-clenching moments (in a good way).

Hell gameplay and enemies spoilers
https://gfycat.com/OfficialSoftCarp

Phew! That was close!

T.O.P

Banned

Loving it, i'm still learning the maps layout and what weapons suits me the best but so far i'm having as much fun as with Overwatch, hell if the community holds up i might even stick to playing this instead of OW for the next few months

SpokkX

After 3 missions - yes this game is great and FEELS just like the original. It is just FUN in a way the originsl doom is

Could be id softwares best single player game even - did not see that one coming

Justinh

How many of the achievements are for multiplayer?

according to that trophies page someone posted, looks like only one for getting to level 5 and one for win a match, which makes me really happy.

I might've missed one, though. Lemme recheck.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Checked an achievements site, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After 3 missions - yes this game is great and FEELS just like the original. It is just FUN in a way the originsl doom is

Could be id softwares best single player game even - did not see that one coming
Yes! While Doom remains The Classic, I agree that this might be the best single player game they've ever made.

This is the best single player shooter to come out of id since Quake 1. And I'm someone that loves Doom 3 and even Rage.

Quake II was a step down in terms of level design from Quake. The new Doom levels feel inspired by Quake as much as Doom due to the verticality.

As far as I'm concerned, this just put id back on top. This is the best first person shooter I've played in years.

TNO was amazing. Doom is even better. It's also pure gameplay making it very replayable. It has nearly as little downtime as Quake and OG Doom.

Yes.

I was worried by no review code. I was worried by the early gameplay footage that just did the glory kills over and over. But I shouldn't have been.

I usually don't single out users but....that post from the E3 2015 demo thread sticks out to me. That user... I mean look at that post. What a goddamn idiot that person is. I am ashamed for that poster.

From the Bethsoft E3 thread! Look at the idiot go!

Note to self. Stop judging games from trailers. Like...forever.

Ha - good stuff. I'm right there with you. :)

0racle

Need more opinions on the AUDIO from people using quality home theater gear. How is the sound seperation? Bass? Overall experiance? Wolfienstein was the worst I have ever heared.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The HELL music during encounters is sooooo goooood.

Wish I had cheated to unlock some of the higher difficulties. Ultra-Violence is a decent balance to start with, but now I've got good gear and upgrades it's not easy but definitely a little more comfortable than I'd like.

TNO was amazing. Doom is even better. It's also pure gameplay making it very replayable. It has nearly as little downtime as Quake and OG Doom.

Honestly I think the differences between the two franchises, and now the relative quality, is exactly what we need. I said it ages ago, but for me Wolfenstein: The New Order scratched the Half-Life 2-like game itch I'd had lingering for a long, long time. I feel what Machine Games accomplished in crafting a linear, narrative driven shooter that manages to have a crazy assortment of exciting, memorable set pieces and a surprisingly moving, engaging plot and cast is nothing short of phenomenal. The on the other hand we have DOOM, which is completely gutted of modern game design fluff (which arguably was popularised all the way back to the original Half-Life) and literally almost exclusively goes straight for the throat with nothing but combat, and it excels in this regard. It's like with these new iterations of Wolfenstein and DOOM we have two exceptional proficient sides of first person shooter scales being balanced almost perfectly. The notion that we can have a game like DOOM, and a game like The New Order, all from Bethesda is really quite remarkable.

I'll thrown Dishonored's hat in the ring too. We're looking at a generation where Bethesda gives us DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Order 2, and Dishonored 2. Imagine if Prey lives up to expectations. We're looking at four potentially brilliant first person games each distinct in vision and design all from the same publisher.

Top Bottom