• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

0racle

The HELL music during encounters is sooooo goooood.

Wish I had cheated to unlock some of the higher difficulties. Ultra-Violence is a decent balance to start with, but now I've got good gear and upgrades it's not easy but definitely a little more comfortable than I'd like.

Cheated? How?

Wish I had cheated to unlock some of the higher difficulties. Ultra-Violence is a decent balance to start with, but now I've got good gear and upgrades it's not easy but definitely a little more comfortable than I'd like.

uh

nightmare's available from the start

Smidget

Those FUCKING SHIELD MOTHERFUCKERS are so fucking stupid.

Raging like a motherfucker right now.

Yes. They suck so bad. I replayed one section like 3-4 times this morning and thought I made it and then 2 large enemies came in with no checkpoint between :/ sigh!

mcz117chief

which rendering option should I use? Default, cinematic or gritty? I think cinematic feels overall best but default has the most saturated colours so I dunno.

epmode

It's not possible to change the difficulty to Nightmare after starting the game, is it? I've had some tough encounters on Ultra-Violence so it felt like a good place to be. Kind of sad to hear that it tapers off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Honestly I think the differences between the two franchises, and now the relative quality, is exactly what we need. I said it ages ago, but for me Wolfenstein: The New Order scratched the Half-Life 2-like game itch I'd had lingering for a long, long time. I feel what Machine Games accomplished in crafting a linear, narrative driven shooter that manages to have a crazy assortment of exciting, memorable set pieces and a surprisingly moving, engaging plot and cast is nothing short of phenomenal. The on the other hand we have DOOM, which is completely gutted of modern game design fluff (which arguably was popularised all the way back to the original Half-Life) and literally almost exclusively goes straight for the throat with nothing but combat, and it excels in this regard. It's like with these new iterations of Wolfenstein and DOOM we have two exceptional proficient sides of first person shooter scales being balanced almost perfectly. The notion that we can have a game like DOOM, and a game like The New Order, all from Bethesda is really quite remarkable.

I'll thrown Dishonored's hat in the ring too. We're looking at a generation where Bethesda gives us DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Order 2, and Dishonored 2. Imagine if Prey lives up to expectations. We're looking at four potentially brilliant first person games each distinct in vision and design all from the same publisher.
Right on. My favorite years of PC gaming still live on in modern Bethesda games. I gotta hand it to them, they've done well.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just done with the first two stages, fantastic game. Tight mechanics, perfect shooting, great frenetic action. I'm also liking the unusual complexity of the level design for today's fps standards. Not quite like Metroid prime of course but still nice.

I have one question: going back to a mission to complete objectives resets the one already achieved or resumes from where you left and the items still left to be found?
Thx

I'm really enjoying the game, but man the music does absolutely nothing for me. It all sounds so generic and samey. The sound mix is kind of broken too, so it's really hard to hear where enemies are and how far away they are (playing with stereo headphones).

I have one question: going back to a mission to complete objectives resets the one already achieved or resumes from where you left and the items still left to be found?
Thx

When you die you get to keep all those things, so I assume it's the same when you replay a level from the beginning.

Just played through E1M1(?). Holy shit. Yes. They did it, they made a real Doom game in 2016. They modernized it, they made it accessible, but holy fucking shit everything about this game is AMAZING.

Loving it, i'm still learning the maps layout and what weapons suits me the best but so far i'm having as much fun as with Overwatch, hell if the community holds up i might even stick to playing this instead of OW for the next few months

I'm feeling the same way! It's every bit as fun as Overwatch but in a different way. I'm absolutely loving the gunplay, movement, game modes and customization. Multiplayer feels like a blend of Doom/Quake/UT/Halo. Awesome!

gafneo

Banned
Yes! While Doom remains The Classic, I agree that this might be the best single player game they've ever made.

For me, it's the best shooter experience evermade. To me, this game perfected all the nonsense that's plagued the fps genre for years. It's not too linear, it lets you be creative with all the weapons. No standing over guns while holding buttons to pick things up. The only thing that could increase the fun is destructable environments, cool firey explosions, spookier and varied locations.

Looking at their wolfenstein review where it received a 7.8, maybe they're just not big fans of these old school type fps games, where the emphasis is on just all out messy stupid fun.

Or maybe the game is just OK, not bad but not 9/10 amazing and that's OK

We've moved so far past this style of game I'm happy with a high 7 to be honest, has me more interested than before

One part of the review caught me though :
By the time I was halfway through the 8.5-hour-long campaign, hunting down the last Imp in a room so the door will unlock had begun to wear thin.

Hated that in shadow warrior, like hate hate hate

Og DOOM never locked doors until you had to kill every enemy in an "arena"

Worst and laziest type of design

Jito

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game, but man the music does absolutely nothing for me. It all sounds so generic and samey. The sound mix is kind of broken too, so it's really hard to hear where enemies are and how far away they are (playing with stereo headphones).

Shame, the music is heavy as fuck and far from generic.

Refreshing to get a game with a metal soundtrack instead of the typical epic operatic stuff.

Or maybe the game is just OK, not bad but not 9/10 amazing and that's OK

We've moved so far past this style of game I'm happy with a high 7 to be honest, has me more interested than before

One part of the review caught me though :

Hated that in shadow warrior, like hate hate hate

Og DOOM never locked doors until you had to kill every enemy in an "arena"

Worst and laziest type of design

The determination is real.

Those FUCKING SHIELD MOTHERFUCKERS are so fucking stupid.

Raging like a motherfucker right now.

I can't say I've had any trouble with them. Jump over them, throw grenades behind them, use weapon mods to stun them etc. There are so many ways to take care of them.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Cant wait for DOOM 2018!

Fuck me this game is good. SP is so good and the music really gets you pumped when playing. Max volume or bust!

antitrop

Honestly I think the differences between the two franchises, and now the relative quality, is exactly what we need. I said it ages ago, but for me Wolfenstein: The New Order scratched the Half-Life 2-like game itch I'd had lingering for a long, long time. I feel what Machine Games accomplished in crafting a linear, narrative driven shooter that manages to have a crazy assortment of exciting, memorable set pieces and a surprisingly moving, engaging plot and cast is nothing short of phenomenal. The on the other hand we have DOOM, which is completely gutted of modern game design fluff (which arguably was popularised all the way back to the original Half-Life) and literally almost exclusively goes straight for the throat with nothing but combat, and it excels in this regard. It's like with these new iterations of Wolfenstein and DOOM we have two exceptional proficient sides of first person shooter scales being balanced almost perfectly. The notion that we can have a game like DOOM, and a game like The New Order, all from Bethesda is really quite remarkable.

I'll thrown Dishonored's hat in the ring too. We're looking at a generation where Bethesda gives us DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Order 2, and Dishonored 2. Imagine if Prey lives up to expectations. We're looking at four potentially brilliant first person games each distinct in vision and design all from the same publisher.
My own thoughts pretty much exactly. It's cool that they can be so different and yet still stand as the two finest SP FPS of the gen up to this point.

TaterTots

Banned
Yeah? How's that multi-player?

Everything needs to be accounted for and with no reviews it's too early to say people should be eating crow

Games been out 1 full day, chill

Actually, I'm having a blast with the MP. I don't need someone to tell me if a game is good or not. I'm enjoying it and that's all that matters. Also, 1 full day is enough to acknowledge if a game is good for you or not.

Shame, the music is heavy as fuck and far from generic.

Refreshing to get a game with a metal soundtrack instead of the typical epic operatic stuff.

The determination is real.

That does make the music sound better. Perhaps I'm just into the moment during those times the music plays to even really hear it. It just kind of feels it's in the background, so it's obviously not bad, that's actually a good thing for music. I definitely agree that it's nice with some metal music for once in a game.

BigDug13

The fear with low review scores on a game people like is that it will affect sales which will affect the possibility of a sequel. Which is a bit of a reality in the AAA game market, unfortunately.

Anung

Un Rama

This game has really put me in the mood for a new Quake so hopefully they'll do that and Beth can be 4/4 on classic reinventions (if you count Dishonored/Thief)

Hell. give 'em Duke while theyr'e at it.

Jito

Banned
It's OK man, we don't all have to like that style of design, maybe I wanted it to stick closer to classic doom in regards to enemy encounters?

Perhaps there's a time to suck it up and move on though? We've been through all this "I can't cope with them changing my beloved Doom" for a year now since the reveal. But now the game is out and people are actually enjoying it, yet some people just won't let it go.

I'd understand if you have the game or had played it in some capacity but you're really going around grasping at straws.

Du2andal

Banned
I can't say I've had any trouble with them. Jump over them , throw grenades behind them, use weapon mods to stun them etc. There are so many ways to take care of them.

That's my tactic. I launch myself over their heads, 180 in the air, and make them wish they had left their stupid fucking shields at home. Man, I kind of love this game.

Warxard

Banned
It's not just OK. Neither was Wolfenstein.

I am on Mission 6 of DOOM and I beat Wolfenstein and my opinion of the game is leaning on 'Just OK' to 'Great.' It's a fun game but fuck, it has some significant flaws.

7/10 is a score id lean on for DOOM

And?

I don't know why you, someone that hasn't played Doom, is so invested in convincing a thread full of people that have played Doom that it isn't as good as they think it is.

Why am I even responding to you? It's clearly bait.

I'm not. But I also don't think it's wrong for an outlet to score it a GOOD score of a 7?

That's a solid score, people are so trained to think anything under a 9 is dogshit and it's weird

It's on a scale of 10.

Someone posts a link to an ign review and everyone's response is "ugh they just don't get it" and I find that kind of weird

mcz117chief

That's disgusting. Shadow Warrior was mediocre at best. Doom is easily the best old school FPS released since... I dunno... since there were old school FPS games.

haha, oh come on! You can't be serious. DOOM is good but not even remotely close to being as awesome as Shadow Warrior, no way in any bizarro world.

j0hnnix

I'm being tempted. How is the story moved/told? Is it in similar fashion as TNO? I've read some posts it might be a straight up shooter.

NotLiquid

Looks like IGN doesn't like this game, getting a 7.1 out of 10 :/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/13/doom-review-2
I guess it will drop down to 5 or 6 when they have reviewed it all :(

Not really jiving with the criticism of poor AI. I'm not sure what difficulty they're playing but on Ultra-Violence the AI is as good as it needs to be and Hell Knights have fucked me up quite a deal. If anything I think the biggest strength of the original Doom which translates to this game's potency is exactly the enemy behavior. Each enemy is distinctly designed and the dynamic constantly shifts depending on how certain ones are combined and placed.

It's less important how smart they are and more important how they do exactly what they're supposed to do as the combat encounters almost become something of a puzzle. It creates an on-the-fly strafing battle where you need to think on your feet and prioritize certain enemies. Certain enemies deliberately vary in aggression while others will have slow, predictable attacks that will damage you for quite a lot. It makes you actually be attentive about what enemy you're facing. Dealing with an Imp might not be so easy while you have a Hell Knight on your tails, and the Summoner is an especially cruel mistress who keeps throwing in enemies of varying bulk and behavior which means you generally need to deal with it first, which can be hard due to it's projectile attack and it's teleporting abilities. The structural behavior is also important due to the enemies being deliberately designed to be able to damage each other. On top of all that you also need to micromanage your health and ammo, figuring out when to employ glory kills or use your chainsaw for a quick dispatch / additional ammo gain, assuming the chainsaw even has the fuel to begin with.

Even if Doom doesn't have the smartest AI in the world it doesn't matter since the important part is for it's structure to be functional enough and allow you to run around guns blazing in a strategic matter, and this game excels on that front.

Top Bottom