• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Perhaps there's a time to suck it up and move on though? We've been through all this "I can't cope with them changing my beloved Doom" for a year now since the reveal. But now the game is out and people are actually enjoying it, yet some people just won't let it go.

I'd understand if you have the game or had played it in some capacity but you're really going around grasping at straws.

Dude I'm gonna give if an honest shot. I tried grabbing it from redbox last night but they were out

I'm just vocalizing a style I hate. I liked a lot about shadow warrior but hated the lockdown arenas that magically opened after you killed all the enemies

I prefer a more organic flow to encounters that feel more open ended than being locked in, that's all

I prefer TNO encounter style to be honest

Are most guns unmissable? I felt like I explored pretty well on the first level, got 2/3 secrets, but no new guns and I want a new gun lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't really think the game is DOOM, as in like DOOM and DOOM 2. It's clearly not the same, particularly in the pacing of encounters (like the arena encounters). There's some DOOM heart there, as is a bit of Quake, but for me what makes this DOOM so enjoyable is less it being exactly DOOM (and let's be real, DOOM 3 wasn't that either) and more being reminiscent of shooters from that era. In that respect it's fast, rewards accuracy and mobility, and the core facets of game design and game feedback lean heavily on the combat itself. So the arena battles, while typically very simple and not exactly thrilling design, are nevertheless exciting to me because they're not intrusive nor do they disrupt the flow of play that is already based entirely around combat. Some of the arenas honestly resemble something out of Quake 3, right down to the jump pads. And it's not like they're tiny boxed in rooms where you fend off 40 waves of dudes. Most are decently sized combat zones with a great assortment of power-ups, armour, and health, along with verticality in the level design itself. Enemies spawn in 'waves', and yes you must beat them to unlock the gates, but it plays like a constant flow of escalating bad-dude toughness that you're challenged to conquer.

Getting into that groove of kill cycles, balancing your gear, crowd control from the enemy types, and mastering the combat arena itself all the while heavy, chunky guitar riffs punch through the background is exactly what makes it so fun. I can totally dig someone not being a fan of that kind of game design and thus not enjoying DOOM, but the thing is that this DOOM really is just about the shootbang. If you can't enjoy the arena encounters and the challenge they provide, the thrill of mastering weapon juggling against an impressive assortment of heckbeasts, all the while running and jumping around like a mad man, I don't think any other stretch of the game will impress you either because it's still fundamentally the same thing just not "an arena". And even then the "arena" aspect isn't always valid, you're just expected to clear a stretch of level of enemies before progressing onwards. So far I've not once felt I had to hunt down an enemy. Nor have I felt an arena or zone encounter was unenjoyable.

If you like the feel of the gunplay, the hit feedback and gore, along with the balancing of your health/armour/ammo via accuracy and mobility, then the arena encounters should be plenty fun and not a deterrent from giving DOOM a real try.

This game has really put me in the mood for a new Quake so hopefully they'll do that and Beth can be 4/4 on classic reinventions (if you count Dishonored/Thief)

Hell. give 'em Duke while theyr'e at it.

Depending on if the last vision leak holds up, Arkane's Prey is also supposed to be a spiritual successor to System Shock 2. So...that's quite the fucking combo.

Justinian

I'm not. But I also don't think it's wrong for an outlet to score it a GOOD score of a 7?

That's a solid score, people are so trained to think anything under a 9 is dogshit and it's weird

It's on a scale of 10.

Someone posts a link to an ign review and everyone's response is "ugh they just don't get it" and I find that kind of weird

It's also in relation to other games they review. It's because this (and the fantastic TNO) get scored less than far inferior games, that people get annoyed.

And perhaps you can actually play the game and form your own opinion before judging people's response as weird?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
haha, oh come on! You can't be serious. DOOM is good but not even remotely close to being as awesome as Shadow Warrior, no way in any bizarro world.
I think it's much much better. The level design in SW was dull and the actual combat is nowhere near as well done.

mdsfx

Spent about 4+ hours with the game finding all collectibles on Levels 1 & 2. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. The secrets add A LOT to the game.

The classic maps being playable once you find them, although short, are such an awesome addition. It's such a trip being on the old levels with the new characters & weapons lol.

Og DOOM never locked doors until you had to kill every enemy in an "arena"

Worst and laziest type of design
That does sound pretty bad, actually, if you truly have to walk around in circles looking for an easy enemy to pick off. I wonder if this is an issue on harder difficulties, where maybe the enemies are more aggressive and difficult. As a rule, I always play on the hardest difficulty first to make the game last longer and see what it offers at its limits.

Anyway, thanks to this thread and the great impressions I ordered the game yesterday. I've enjoyed all the other games on multiple platforms-- whether it was with kb/m or strafing with shoulder buttons on the PSX!-- and I'm sure this new Doom will have no trouble finding its spot as one of my favorite FPS games.

That does sound pretty bad, actually, if you truly have to walk around in circles looking for an easy enemy to pick off. I wonder if this is an issue on harder difficulties, where maybe the enemies are more aggressive and difficult. As a rule, I always play on the hardest difficulty first to make the game last longer and see what it offers at its limits.

Anyway, thanks to this thread and the great impressions I ordered the game yesterday. I've enjoyed all the other games on multiple platforms-- whether it was with kb/m or strafing with shoulder buttons on the PSX!-- and I'm sure this new Doom will have no trouble finding its spot as one of my favorite FPS games.

I don't think the arenas are big enough to actually have to HUNT for an enemy but still

Part of the combAt style of classic doom was trying to draw certain monsters from a horde and draw them to choke points, etc, esp at higher difficulties

Shame, the music is heavy as fuck and far from generic.

Refreshing to get a game with a metal soundtrack instead of the typical epic operatic stuff.
The music may not be generic from a game standpoint, but from a metal standpoint it's Meshuggah/"djent" BS, one of the most samey and safe trends today

I like the heavy mechanical/electronic influence in the music, makes it sound more robotic and fitting of the setting, but the music itself is standard as hell.

Jito

Banned
The music may not be generic from a game standpoint, but from a metal standpoint it's Meshuggah/"djent" BS, one of the most samey and safe trends today

I like the heavy mechanical/electronic influence in the music, makes it sound more robotic and fitting of the setting, but the music itself is standard as hell.

Meshuggah are amazing though...

TaterTots

Banned
Says some people on neogaf

Some will say it's average

You shouldn't care what others think of the game and form your own score

I'm still gonna rent the game and form my own opinion

Personally, I prefer this metric
Mw3KxKL.png
[/IMG]

J 0 E

The level complexity is refreshing compared to other shooters

had to replay the first level to collect all secrets < something I rarely do on my first playthrough

enjoying the game more than I thought.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So is this game legit or what?

I adored Wolfebstein TNO on PS4, BTW.

Should I bite?

Zukkoyaki

All metal would work.

Galmteam

Neo Member
Game is awesome, loved every second of it.

but uhh..

13 hour campaign, my ass. Beat after *maybe* 8 hours playing on Hurt me Plenty. What a wet fart of an ending. Yeesh.

Gonna play again but man I was expecting a whole nother third of a game here.

Justinian

Dude I'm gonna give if an honest shot. I tried grabbing it from redbox last night but they were out

I'm just vocalizing a style I hate. I liked a lot about shadow warrior but hated the lockdown arenas that magically opened after you killed all the enemies

I prefer a more organic flow to encounters that feel more open ended than being locked in, that's all

I prefer TNO encounter style to be honest

To be honest there has not been a single instance where I had to hunt down a left over enemy to unlock an area. I'm more than halfway through the game and every encounter whether preplaced or arena style has felt organic in both flow and pacing.

It's such fucking bullshit that there are points of no return. I've had to restart the mission at the very end twice now because I missed an unlabelled secret that was past a point of no return. This after I started to admire how it seemed like you could access the entire map after you've cleared it out.

but uhh..

13 hour campaign, my ass. Beat after *maybe* 8 hours playing on Hurt me Plenty. What a wet fart of an ending. Yeesh.

How bad is the ending compared to RAGE?

RAGE has the worst ending imo of almost any game I've finished personally.

I don't think the arenas are big enough to actually have to HUNT for an enemy but still

Part of the combAt style of classic doom was trying to draw certain monsters from a horde and draw them to choke points, etc, esp at higher difficulties
I see what you mean. Yeah, as long as I don't have to hunt for stragglers I don't mind. You're right the original Doom gave you plenty of freedom in how to approach enemies. Carefully attracting enemies and leading them around was basically every level in the 4th episode in Doom-- which I LOVED (and I beat it on 1 life, no savestates ultra-violence). I think, though, that type of design was a genius way to make up for the relatively simplistic enemy actions. That's why the few arena-style levels in Doom II were so bad, it just felt like monotonous point and click while you run around the outside. However, the individual enemies in this new Doom combined with more flexible combat seem to be interesting enough to warrant forced, closed-space arena fights like the original games could not do (and luckily almost never did). I like either style if the foundation is there.

but uhh..

Picks a "easy" kinda difficulty and complaints about length lol

dEvAnGeL

can this game be played any slower? any option on the menu for that? serious question BTW, i get motion sickness with these type of games but the game looks so good that im actually thinking on buying it

Mr Swine

Banned

but uhh..

You should have played it on nightmare, I'm 9 hours in and just reached hell. Hurt me plenty is just too easy

I see what you mean. Yeah, as long as I don't have to hunt for stragglers I don't mind. You're right the original Doom gave you plenty of freedom in how to approach enemies. Carefully attracting enemies and leading them around was basically every level in the 4th episode in Doom-- which I LOVED (and I beat it on 1 life, no savestates ultra-violence). I think, though, that type of design was a genius way to make up for the relatively simplistic enemy actions. That's why the few arena-style levels in Doom II were so bad, it just felt like monotonous point and click while you run around the outside. However, the individual enemies in this new Doom combined with more flexible combat seem to be interesting enough to warrant forced, closed-space arena fights like the original games could not do (and luckily almost never did). I like either style if the foundation is there.

Agree.

The added benefit of this release like 18 years later.... I love how the enemies are so aggressive, and they have multiple attack types.

They are literally jumping all over the place, it's fucking awesome :)
I mean the ending boss is great. I dont want to get too spoiler-y but lets just say it Halo 2s pretty hard. Like really hard.

OK cool thanks.

Woorloog

Banned
can this game be played any slower? any option on the menu for that? serious question BTW, i get motion sickness with these type of games but the game looks so good that im actually thinking on buying it

Slower? No.
Larger FOV should reduce motion sickness or eliminate it.
On PC, the slider goes from 90 (default) to 130.

Galmteam

Neo Member
Picks a "easy" kinda difficulty and complaints about length lol

Playing on higher diff would not have added 3-5 hours to the game imo. I'm gonna play it again on higher diff sure. And what is there is fantastic, but there's no way anyone that is half-way decent is getting 13 hours out of this unless you are doing like a completion run or something.

Woorloog

Banned
Playing on higher diff would not have added 3-5 hours to the game imo. I'm gonna play it again on higher diff sure. And what is there is fantastic, but there's no way anyone that is half-way decent is getting 13 hours out of this unless you are doing like a completion run or something.

Took me 12h or so on Normal (or whatever it was called). I did one restart though (pointlessly, in retrospect) and i did search for most secrets.

Shifty

I just got the
Big Fucking Gun

Ohhh my this is glorious. I've been wanting a shooter that makes you feel legit powerful for ages!

Top Bottom