• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Turn off the aim smoothing on console. Since doing that I've been able to pull stuff off that I've never been able to do on a controller before.

This game is absolutely perfect for what Doom should be. I love the level design and I've spent a ton of time exploring and looking for secrets on top of the fantastic shooting.

RowdyReverb

I'm having the best damn time 100%ing the levels. It reminds me of the classic games how after you've scoured the level for secrets, you can pretty much run through it blindfolded. It's so satisfying to figure out how to get to that last grey area on your map. As much as I love the action in the game, it's a nice break in pace to hunt for everything in a level devoid of monsters
Seeing the positive community reaction, maybe Beth made the right choice of delaying the reviews after all
You have a good point. I think the critical reception may not match the community reception, partially because reviewers probably have more FPS fatigue than most, and are less likely to be enthralled by a throwback. We'll see though as reviews trickle out. I could be wrong

Woorloog

Banned
I think the few "cutscene" bits could have been cut, or reduced to radio transmissions. Would've improved flow in some places. The story is not emphasized so why even have scenes that focus on the story?
Good excuse for shooting demons though.

This game is fantastic. I completely forgot about my three hours of Uncharted 4. Just got to hell, really good stuff.

I'm exactly at the same spot and struggling to get back to uncharted and I have a feeling that games story was about to really pick up when I stoped playing.

Im enjoying doom way more than I thought I would.

Galmteam

Neo Member
Seriously lol.

And who's playing this for story? I just want a bunch of crap to shoot for the ending.

Do you even Doom, bruh?

You seriously watched that ending cutscene and you were completely satisfied
that you didnt get to go after that motherfucker?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I was in it for the same reason you were.

ISee

I'm having the best damn time 100%ing the levels. It reminds me of the classic games how after you've scoured the level for secrets, you can pretty much run through it blindfolded. It's so satisfying to figure out how to get to that last grey area on your map. As much as I love the action in the game, it's a nice break in pace to hunt for everything in a level devoid of monsters

I agree. Also a good way to learn the levels for a new game on a higher difficulty.

RowdyReverb

I think the few "cutscene" bits could have been cut, or reduced to radio transmissions. Would've improved flow in some places. The story is not emphasized so why even have scenes that focus on the story?
Good excuse for shooting demons though.
I do like how impatient Doomguy seems during the story bits though

RowdyReverb

Yeah, that's a funny bit of self-awareness but if you're self-aware, why joke about it and not fix the issue?
I agree with you, but I think it's to broaden appeal. It's frowned upon nowadays for games to give you an objective without some purpose or motivation. Even if it's flimsy, people like to have context

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seeing the positive community reaction, maybe Beth made the right choice of delaying the reviews after all

Yeah, reaction from the reviewers on twitter is pretty damn negative so far. That's a huge shame IMO.

In any case, I think the Foundry level might be the most metal thing ever in a Doom game. See you must rip off that one dude's arm right? Well after using that arm and dying, the arm respawns. You can re-rip the arm off again! Then you can reload your checkpoint! And you'll still have the arm in your pockets. And you can rip it out again! It's Arm-ageddon.

Boogster

Neo Member
I love this game. I cant see snapmap NOT adding a ton of replay to this game, I really want a horde style or Serious Sam level of opponents with coop. There's so much possibility there.

TaterTots

Banned
Lé Blade Runner;203609328 said:
Same here. Modern times and what not. I don't even browse Metacritic anymore.

I've come to learn if a game on Steam has very positive or overwhelmingly positive reviews, I find something I enjoy about it. I'd rather take thousands of peoples opinions instead of a few critics.

DryvBy

You seriously watched that ending cutscene and you were completely satisfied
that you didnt get to go after that motherfucker?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I was in it for the same reason you were.

I've always felt DOOM has been about action an that's it. You progress to get crazier weapons, map layouts, and bigger monsters.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Can campaign weapon and suit upgrades be used when replaying higher difficulty? Or are they locked to a single playthrough?

Woorloog

Banned
I agree with you, but I think it's to broaden appeal. It's frowned upon nowadays for games to give you an objective without some purpose or motivation. Even if it's flimsy, people like to have context

Yeah, you could have that motivation without explicit cutscene-areas.
Just have someone talk to you on radio and show stuff in loading screens.

Can campaign weapon and suit upgrades be used when replaying higher difficulty? Or are they locked to a single playthrough?

You can, though playing individual missions means it doesn't load the next one automatically.

ironcreed

Banned
I always just go with any game that I think I will personally have a great time with and this is one of clearest cases of that paying off without me giving a single fuck what the reviews are. Beyond wanting to see the game do well, of course.

I always just go with any game that I think I will personally have a great time with and this is one of clearest cases of that paying off without me giving a single fuck what the reviews are. Beyond wanting to see the game do well, of course.

The metacritic could be 10/100 for all I care, this game is just so damned good.

Anung

Un Rama
Heh I remember when this game was revealed last year and the response here was lukewarm at best

Seems to me that Beth's biggest weakness is actually showing these games in a positive light and playing to their core strengths as a game (unless its ES or Fallout)

Galmteam

Neo Member
I've always felt DOOM has been about action an that's it. You progress to get crazier weapons, map layouts, and bigger monsters.

That's my point, you goob. I wanted more action, more arenas, more demons to shoot.
Big robot man brandishes a big laser sword and cockteases you with the idea of slicing him in half with it

Way I see it, 13 hours was if you are looking for every little thing. Which I wasn't. I was going room to room painting the walls with demon. I guess I'm not so much belaboring the length as much as that ending left me wanting more in a negative way (if that makes sense)

nubbe

I is good to have some context and interaction, but Doomguy projects your impatience
So they did handle it really well
Especially when you get the suit at the beginning

flozuki

You should have played it on nightmare, I'm 9 hours in and just reached hell. Hurt me plenty is just too easy
How much more is there after Hell? Bought it yesterday for an amazing price (thx hype GAF ;)

I can recommend it. Looks great on PS4, some levels have really good design (you have to think a little bit about how to proceed), the weapons feel good, a little bit story here and there and nice short little introductions to new weapons.

tesqui

Man, I was enjoying the review-less couple of days Doom was having. Review publications just bum me out. They shouldn't bother me, but they do.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So far, I think I prefer RAGE. But I loved RAGE. And this is still quite good.

(It's early, though)
I loved Rage too but it's hard to replay due to the amount of down time between missions. Really kills the pacing. I think Doom is just much easier to pick up and start playing.

The Flash

Banned
Seems to me that Beth's biggest weakness is actually showing these games in a positive light and playing to their core strengths as a game (unless its ES or Fallout)

Because their demo was rather terrible. They should have had someone competent playing fast on KB/M... The response would have been very, very different.

Yep that's why it's best to take conference showcases at face value.

I actually do care since I want this game to succeed. This is a type of game I've been searching for and I don't want it to tank.

Same

It's nice having a good, well-made/quality single player FPS to play without any sort of a "play with friend" annoyance.

The multiplayer is retro fun, too, even if it's not spectacular.

seph1roth

Level 3 map design is awesome, lot of vertical stuff.

SKW77AG.jpg

KkfFL3M.jpg

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The metacritic could be 10/100 for all I care, this game is just so damned good.

Fact is, the MC score will affect sales. Just like at the comments on the IGN review. It's filled with people going : "So glad I held off on buying this. Not only was IGN underwhelmed with the single player game, but my impressions from the multiplayer beta were very very poor. I'll buy this in 3 years for $10 to play the campaign."

I want this goddamn game to sell like hot cakes. It might not, because too many people are beholden to critics's opinions.

This is what I've been wanting from a modern FPS for years. I need more games like this. And to get more, I need people to buy it.

I loved Rage too but it's hard to replay due to the amount of down time between missions. Really kills the pacing. I think Doom is just much easier to pick up and start playing.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to skip all the driving and just do the missions. Those parts were great. The parts in between not so much.

Anung

Un Rama
Depending on if the last vision leak holds up, Arkane's Prey is also supposed to be a spiritual successor to System Shock 2. So...that's quite the fucking combo.

Even though I adored Prey back in the day for some reason I never followed through on checking out Prey 2. All I was aware of was that it had a broader scope and had a incredibly rocky development. I'll need it out as that sounds too damn good.

It's quite bizarre. For my tastes Fallout and ES are the least interesting games that Bethesda put out but Doom, Dishonored, Wolfenstein and The Evil Within put them right up there as a company that puts out things I want to play.

The Flash

Banned
It's weird to see Bethesda of all companies lead the charge of a theoretical shooter revival. It's very welcome but weird at the same time. To me they were always just the people who make massive RPGs until now.

Top Bottom