• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

ironcreed

Banned
This game proves that we need more straight forward, action-packed shooters with an emphasis on sprawling and clever level design in a meaty single player campaign. The market is just so over saturated with multiplayer-driven games that it makes my head spin. More of this please, as these types of games are far from being dead if done right.

Momentary

Banned
I don't bother with review sites anymore. I just read user reviews on STEAM. Or just check streams from people who actually know how to play videogames.

DryvBy

That's my point, you goob. I wanted more action, more arenas, more demons to shoot.
Big robot man brandishes a big laser sword and cockteases you with the idea of slicing him in half with it

Way I see it, 13 hours was if you are looking for every little thing. Which I wasn't. I was going room to room painting the walls with demon. I guess I'm not so much belaboring the length as much as that ending left me wanting more in a negative way (if that makes sense)

Lol. :)

Well, I can see that. I personally don't want this to end at all. If the season pass has a nice lengthy expansion with new weapons, I'm totally in. Bigger monsters, bigger levels, bigger guns. It's all we want!

Level 3 map design is awesome, lot of vertical stuff.

This had me going:
nMq0SQL.png

skynidas

Banned
It's weird to see Bethesda of all companies lead the charge of a theoretical shooter revival. It's very welcome but weird at the same time. To me they were always just the people who make massive RPGs until now.

well, they didn't make the game, they just published it. id is the developer

SkylineRKR

This game proves that we need more straight forward, action-packed shooters with an emphasis on sprawling and clever level design in a meaty single player campaign. The market is just so over saturated with multiplayer-driven games that it makes my head spin. More of this please, as these types of games are far from being dead if done right.

This is why I was all over Wolfenstein TNO when it released. It felt so damn good, I loved every second of it and started over. Which is a rare thing for me to do nowadays.

DirtyLarry

That moment when you do all your errands for the day first thing in the morning and go to fire up Doom for the first time right around noon in Steam and discover that for some unknown reason even though it was shown as installed just last night when you purposely checked because of your plan for the next day however it actually was not installed and you now have to wait over an hour to play. Gutted.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even though I adored Prey back in the day for some reason I never followed through on checking out Prey 2. All I was aware of was that it had a broader scope and had a incredibly rocky development. I'll need it out as that sounds too damn good.

Long and short of it; Human Head's Prey 2 was like a cyperpunk bounty hunter game in an open world city which combined elements of parkour and role playing into map traversal and mission selection. The E3 demonstration was met with a very positive response. Gossip reliably suggests Bethesda/Zenimax management attempted to acquire Human Head through a dirty and apparently notorious (for them) tactic of crunching and reviewing unfairly set project reviews that pressures contracted developers to selling stock of their company to the parent publisher in order to meet funding requirements to finish the game. Human Head wouldn't budge, and thus the game was canned.

Obsidian supposedly attempted to revive it, but a lack of access to source code and whatnot tanked it. Zenimax/Bethesda insisted on Prey existing for some reason, and pushed the project on to Arkane Texas (secondary branch to Arkane Lyon, the latter known for Dishonored). Last leaked design document suggested Arkane Texas has been given a fair bit of wiggle room to reimagine the project, which was then being pitched as a spiritual successor to System Shock 2.

The Flash

Banned

Zemm

I feel like it's time for a complete PC rebuild. My 280x and i5 760 just isn't going to keep up with games released this year, but I won't be able to build a new PC until later this year.

I doubt I'll be able to play DOOM on this PC better than the PS4 version judging by the AMD performance problems, sucks.

Brizzo24

I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately, so I changed my controller layout to "Knuckles." Personally, I like having a button mapped to melee, as opposed to the R3 analog stick. It makes the Glory Kills all the more satisfying when you get in/jump up and then press R1.

8cg5CTW.jpg

Oh yeah, and I set my sensitivity pretty low too. #shame

HF2014

Few quick question before i buy.

- Can glory kills be turn off? To make it more challenging, no health back from glory kills.
- Is the weapon wheel scolling select can be turn off? Just r1 and l1 like to switch weapons

Trickster

In the area where you have to
destroy VEGA's coolant tanks
, has anyone had a bug where you don't exit combat after killing all demons?

- Can glory kills be turn off? To make it more challenging, no health back from glory kills.
- Is the weapon wheel scolling select can be turn off? Just r1 and l1 like to switch weapons

I just unbind them in the menu. Oh wait...do you mean PC?

DryvBy

I don't think you can turn them off but you don't have to do them. It's kind of similar to in Duke Nukem 3D when you injured an enemy to almost death, they'd kneel and you could explode them.

You can quick-select the last two weapons but if you need to change to another, you have to scroll.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Console users: I found the controls to be much better by turning down Look Smoothing. My current settings are:

40% horizontal
35% vertical
60% look smoothing

It feels amazing.

Console users: I found the controls to be much better by turning down Look Smoothing. My current settings are:

40% horizontal
35% vertical
60% look smoothing

It feels amazing.

Yeah, I messed with it a bit last night and am still not entirely sure what "Look smoothing" really accomplishes...

Is it better to turn the chromatic aberration and motion blur off? Or increase the FOV? I'm at basic settings on consoles, so 90% FOV I think.

Freeman76

I don't bother with review sites anymore. I just read user reviews on STEAM. Or just check streams from people who actually know how to play videogames.

Same, the players are a far better gauge than half these 'reviewers'. I bet the clown that reviews it for IGN wasnt even born when the original came out.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Anybody here that got nauseated from Wolfenstein but doing ok in DOOM? I've got DOOM loading for tonight, and am a little concerned. Even messing with the fov in Wolfenstein left me so motion sick, which rarely happens to me.

DOOM any better or worse?

Gitaroo

How do I complete the mastery challenge for the Shotty? It says get 20 direct hits on imps. I shoot them in the head or what?

Marvel

could never
Couldn't wait 'till tomorrow, got a family member pick it up. Cannot wait to dive in tonight.

I'm so hyped to hear Mick's music in it as a huge fan of KI.

Yoda

So... I still can't double jump and I'm on the 4th level? Is that normal or am I oblivious and missing something?

Bedlam

What does look smoothing do anyways? I don't quite understand it.
It means that the camera look movement will accelerate a bit until it reaches "full speed". A setting of 0 means the right stick will instantly move the camera with full speed.

Personally, I have it set to 40 now. 0 was a bit too flippy whereas the high default (80 I think) value was too imprecise and loose.

The Flash

Banned
I believe it's aim acceleration of some sort.

It means that the camera look movement will accelerate a bit until it reaches "full speed". A setting of 0 means the right stick will instantly move the camera with full speed.

Personally, I have it set to 40 now. 0 was a bit too flippy whereas the high default (80 I think) value was too imprecise and loose.

Ahh. I see.

Wait

... This is good?

It's not.

It's Doomtacular

Top Bottom