• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Simo

Couldn't wait 'till tomorrow, got a family member pick it up. Cannot wait to dive in tonight.

I'm so hyped to hear Mick's music in it as a huge fan of KI.

Dude, it's soooo good! The perfect OST that gets the adrenaline pumping as you shotgun a Imp in the face. lol

Simo

Since id and Bethesda are watching this thread: You guys are fucking awesome....and where the hell is the OST release?!

psychotron

Finally got my GameStop credit partially back and bought this digitally. Started the download and went to the gym. You have me hyped GAF, the same as you did when Wolfenstein came out.

void666

Banned
Anybody here that got nauseated from Wolfenstein but doing ok in DOOM? I've got DOOM loading for tonight, and am a little concerned. Even messing with the fov in Wolfenstein left me so motion sick, which rarely happens to me.

DOOM any better or worse?

I was feeling some bad motion sickness. I increased fov to 120 and it's ok now.

Sàmban

Banned
Not sure if it's nostalgia, but this game if fucking amazing. Buy it GAF. Buy it.

Only negative is I threw up after ~30 minutes of playing after bumping the FOV to max but quickly adjusted.

This game makes my ps4 sound like it's about to explode. Never had a game make the fans run as loud and constant. Kinda worried about playing for very long =/

low-G

Since everyone's talking about overall quality, I'm gonna poke my head in. Despite my scorn and skepticism in recent Doom threads, against my better wisdom I bought this one.

Good news, it did turn out good. Best single player FPS since Far Cry 4 for me, except maybe Devil Daggers. Better than Doom 3. Better than Halo 5.

Doom is my favorite game of all time. I don't think this game comes even remotely close to the glory of those classics. We're still talking about Doom 1 now, and I think it'll be talked about in the year 2200. This game? No so much. However, we can finally safely forget about the comparative shit that was Doom 3.

Level design is from standard (read:poor) FPS tier to quite good. It actually goes back and forth a lot. However, they DO have the combat scenarios in like I hoped (with enemy variety driving tactics).

I wish the music was less noise and more Doom (read: old video game music style). I love the first Hell music, and there's some other good songs, but am I going to be humming these songs on my deathbed? No.

Overall, like I said, it's a good game. Even better than I had any hope for. If the shitty recent ROTT had been of this quality, or even the Painkiller games (even the good ones weren't this good), the 'classic' FPS would have been 'back' a while ago.

Kolgar

They did it! This DOOM is awesome. It's what Doom 3 should have been, but even better because no game could hope to look this good in 2004.

Kudos to the devs for taking such care with the source material and for making smart decisions after aborting their original vision for the game.

I'm even loving the multiplayer. This disc is going to be in my X1 for a long time, so I hope lots of people buy it and keep a healthy community up. The game deserves a large audience.

Incidentally, my Best Buy had been raided out of copies for Xbox. I only saw one on the shelf. Hope they didn't just undership for the 'bone.

Spread the word, Doomguys! Tell your friends they NEED this game.

Sàmban;203615220 said:
Not sure if it's nostalgia, but this game if fucking amazing. Buy it GAF. Buy it.

Only negative is I threw up after ~30 minutes of playing after bumping the FOV to max but quickly adjusted.

lol

Sorry, man, hope you're feeling better. I admire your Doomguy determination!

In the course of a few days, I moved from "this is going to be the epitaph of one of the most important vide games franchises " to "This is the best FPS of the past ten years and a truly modern take on Doom"

Id still got it and it's a damn miracle.

Fellow GAFers, try the multiplayer, it's awesome too.

Sotha_Sil

After playing (and loving) Wolfenstein and seeing the impressions here, how many people would have guessed Bethesda Softworks would publish the two best FPS games this deep into the console cycle? And that they'd be running off Id Tech.

KingKong

So if I just beat a level, can I go back and replay older levels and then continue my save? Mission select doesn't show the new level I just started so I'm not sure

Alienous

I'm so glad this is good and I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Goddamn does the Campaign + SnapMap look like a great offering. And if I try the multiplayer and enjoy it lord have mercy it could be the best purchase of the gen.

nothing

So if I just beat a level, can I go back and replay older levels and then continue my save? Mission select doesn't show the new level I just started so I'm not sure

you need to complete the level before you can go back and replay it through the mission select feature.

AEREC

This game is incredible...but why do id games always have weak sound effects...just got the chainsaw and I gotta say that the sound is really underwhelming.

Manac0r

Totally blown away by the campaign! Was not expecting it to feel this good. I can see how some people with pre-conceived notions of what Doom should be, might not like it! But for me - a sleeper hit!

Playing at 1600p with Nightmare settings, is pretty wow. Just such a shame about the multiplayer... maybe SNAP map can save the day??

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They did it! This DOOM is awesome. It's what Doom 3 should have been, but even better because no game could hope to look this good in 2004.
While I get what you're saying, I still think Doom 3 is special in its own way. It's a damn good game.

I think this new Doom is better, but Doom 3 is not bad. It's certainly a better single player game than, say, Quake II. I also think it's better than Rage overall.

Is good? hmmm, didnt I heard different around here when the Beta was on?
The multiplayer isn't great. I don't think it's actually bad or anything, but it doesn't really feel all that special. It was also outsourced.

The campaign is what id Software was making and it's insanely good. Best FPS in years.

lazygecko

I actually do care since I want this game to succeed. This is a type of game I've been searching for and I don't want it to tank.

Bethesda kind of made their own bed with what they wanted to focus on marketing wise here. Now it has to rely on word of mouth to succeed.

StewboaT_

Anybody here that got nauseated from Wolfenstein but doing ok in DOOM? I've got DOOM loading for tonight, and am a little concerned. Even messing with the fov in Wolfenstein left me so motion sick, which rarely happens to me.

I couldn't even enjoy wolfenstein due to extreme motion sickness, which very rarely happens to me as well. Zero problems with doom.

Blitzhex

This game stole uncharted's thunder for me. The gameplay is just so much more satisfying.
The game would have been godlike if it had a nice id made multiplayer though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
ln6x12rY.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bethesda kind of made their own bed with what they wanted to focus on marketing wise here. Now it has to rely on word of mouth to succeed.
They did, yeah.

Though, it also seems that id was listening to feedback. Go check out the E3 demo again. I thought it was awesome last year, but the final game is hugely improved. The demo is very slow paced in comparison to the very fast and frantic final game. MP has also improved since the first betas. It's clear that the team was hard at work shaping the game right up until the end.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
WOW! This game went from RedBox rental to purchase in an hour.

Most FPS's give me motion sickness so I have't bought one in 10 years but this hasn't effected me at all. Playing on Xbox One BTW. Flat out awesome!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I had that problem so bad in wolfenstein that I could not play it longer than 30 minutes at a time.

No problem in doom so far on my PS4. FOV to max, no motion blur

T.O.P

Banned
This game stole uncharted's thunder for me. The gameplay is just so much more satisfying.
The game would have been godlike if it had a nice id made multiplayer though.

I reached ch16 in Unacharted...and it's gonna stay like that for a while probably

Thanks Doom

Top Bottom