• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Alienous

Doiiii. I'm an idiot.

So, I went ahead and quit out of not just the game (which i'd done before), but the app in the XBO Guide and then booted it back up. And so far that has fixed the issue. I tried quitting the app earlier, but primarily playing on the PS4 I didn't know how to do it on the console (it wasn't in the 'manage game' option) so just assumed maybe you couldn't.

I wish I'd done this earlier, heh. Either way, thanks for your help and responding to me!

As primarily a PS4 player also I can relate. Anyway, it was no problem.

Ok that's it. I'm taking a break from the game to watch the movie...on DVD...on a CRT TV. Haters gonna hate! This movie is just pure cheese. The FPS sequence is worth the watch by itself.

Cib4O_tU4AA5jOf.jpg

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've been playing through this on the HTC Vive with vorpx and... holy shit is this game fun. I have goosebumps the whole time I'm playing. It is like the perfect mix of suspense and bad-assery on the vive.

yea, those

Won't say anything about Doom 3 since I've only played it once, but Rage is a phenomenal FPS, great shooting mechanics, feedback, and sound. The AI is agressive and animated really well, and the artstyle is really nice.

It's only real detriment is that right when the story feels like it's going somewhere, it just kind of, ends.

Man, this game's level design is outstanding. I turned off the compass and objective markers and I've already gotten lost in the Foundry with a yellow keycard, trying to find the yellow door. It's just so massive and there's so much to explore, I'm almost overwhelmed by it! I can't even tell you the last FPS that made me feel that way. And on top of that, I've already come across a couple blue key doors, but haven't yet found the blue key itself! My God, it's just like classic DOOM!

Is this representative of the rest of the game? Please say yes!

Skitso78

So far the best maps are 2, 3 and 4. After few less stellar ones after those, I wonder if I've already seen the best this game has to offer. Hope to see at least one "foundry" before the game ends. (Just returned from
- - - - hell - - - - -
).

Just beat it. Took me around 7 hours on normal, I wouldn't say rushing, I mean, but basically no extras unless they were on the main path. I did the little secret mission things when I found them but didnt search at all for collectables and almost never checked the map. Only redboxed the game so I wanted to beat it and save the rest for when I buy it.

Great game, I'd say 8/10 for single player. Story, though, is pretty shit. I wasn't remotely invested and that ending still disappointed me somehow

yea, those
In what world would those be considered bad games? Doom 3 was highly regarded upon release and Rage received a lot of critical acclaim for its open world driving mechanics. Perhaps they didn't break new ground in a crowded genre but I wouldn't never categorize them as bad. Both were far too mechanically well-designed to throw them out as such.

dlauv

The DOOM movie would be a cult classic if it came out in the 80s. It's pretty good stuff, like a high budget Syfy original. Better than DOOM 3 for sure.

I got DOOM 3 BFG Edition for free, when I traded an old game in (the clerk actually said it must've been an error because the game I traded was on their list for trade 1, get it free, but was only worth $2). However, I've yet to play it.

I bought DOOM 3 when it first came out, and on PC, but my computer could only run it on minimal settings and even then there were issues. Then I bought it or got it on Xbox as a gift. I didn't beat either.

I would like to actually beat it one day, but this game might make it hard to go back.

I got DOOM 3 BFG Edition for free, when I traded an old game in (the clerk actually said it must've been an error because the game I traded was on their list for trade 1, get it free, but was only worth $2). However, I've yet to play it.

I bought DOOM 3 when it first came out, and on PC, but my computer could only run it on minimal settings and even then there were issues. Then I bought it or got it on Xbox as a gift. I didn't beat either.

I would like to actually beat it one day, but this game might make it hard to go back.

If you go into Doom 3 expecting high octane fast gameplay, as many were, you're going to be disappointed. It's an incredibly moody horror shooter. Much slower paced with a focus on linear level design and atmosphere. Still a fantastic game as far as I'm concerned, but takes a vastly different direction from the series roots. Quite a bold move really.

If you go into Doom 3 expecting high octane fast gameplay, as many were, you're going to be disappointed. It's an incredibly moody horror shooter. Much slower paced with a focus on linear level design and atmosphere. Still a fantastic game as far as I'm concerned, but takes a vastly different direction from the series roots. Quite a bold move really.

'tis true

I played a decent amount on PC, and some on Xbox. But never finished it or got terribly far.

NotLiquid

Doomguy only kills demons though. Not quite the same thing.

Doomguy has to be one of my favorite silent protagonists of all time. The dude is almost a John McClane as a silent Mars marine. He's a lone cowboy of a character who somehow becomes the right person at the right time. He's somehow able to withstand the power ups throughout the game that are said to be destructive to the body. He single handedly fought and survived hell. He clearly has some sense of ideological justice and has no patience for beurocratic utopian idealists with delusions of grandeur. "You don't compromise after fucking humanity in it's collective asshole". Putting the NPC in this game to instruct you works so well in exhibiting his character.

And the kicker is we barely know shit about him. Other than the fact that he has (or HAD) a pet bunny. His desolate helmet screams mysterious intimidation. Love the character and he's also great as an avatar to the player.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I've been playing through this on the HTC Vive with vorpx and... holy shit is this game fun. I have goosebumps the whole time I'm playing. It is like the perfect mix of suspense and bad-assery on the vive.

Dude....

I got a half chub just thinking about that.

lazygecko

Doomguy has to be one of my favorite silent protagonists of all time. The dude is almost a John McClane as a silent Mars marine. He's a lone cowboy of a character who somehow becomes the right person at the right time. He's somehow able to withstand the power ups throughout the game that are said to be destructive to the body. He single handedly fought and survived hell. He clearly has some sense of ideological justice and has no patience for beurocratic utopian idealists with delusions of grandeur. "You don't compromise after fucking humanity in it's collective asshole". Putting the NPC in this game to instruct you works so well in exhibiting his character.

I liken him to John Matrix in Commando. The two are basically the same in that there's all these other characters in the fiction basically telling them "okay, here's how the script is gonna play out and what you need to do" and their response is "WRONG!"

NotLiquid

I liken him to John Matrix in Commando. The two are basically the same in that there's all these other characters in the fiction basically telling them "okay, here's how the script is gonna play out and what you need to do" and their response is "WRONG!"

Yeah come to think of it that's more apt. It was one of the Johns at least that I had in mind.

I really hope word of mouth gives this game legs. It's going to have zero initial sales because nobody even knows about it. It's also up against Uncharted 4 on PS4 lol. But it deserves to sell 500 million units because it's almost the only update of an old franchise title I've ever played which is both gloriously old-school and thoroughly modern at the same time. So many attempted updates of old franchises for the new era faceplant straight into a wood chipper. DOOM is almost the only one I can think of off the top of my head which doesn't.

After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look and reading trusted impressions, I am 100% confounded by how badly Bethesda marketed this game from top to bottom.

From the laser focused emphasis on blood and gore Brutal Doom melee kill crap that screamed "these will probably get old and suck" when seen in video, to the radio silence on the single-player that lasted forever in favor of talking about the uninspiring MP, to the open beta itself being a massive letdown instead of just putting out a single player demo (a way to play Doom before you buy it! gosh, what a novel idea!), to the way the tone was seemingly established as 100% serious "MAN U R A MACHO BADASS RIP N TEAR" instead of the fantastic tongue-in-cheek humor that's present in the actual game, to the smuggest and most obnoxious blog post of marketing speak ever written, to the emphasis on the locked down "skate parks" which seemed to fly in the face of what Doom's level design is about because it allowed more blood effects per second in a preview video.

Whoever did the marketing for this game needs to be bopped on the head with a rolled up newspaper, because they failed spectacularly.

EDIT: And I can't believe I forgot that they held review codes back until launch day. Were they embarrassed by the game? Did they assume that the negative reaction meant that the game was bad, and not that they flubbed the marketing?

Caja 117

While I get what you're saying, I still think Doom 3 is special in its own way. It's a damn good game.

I think this new Doom is better, but Doom 3 is not bad. It's certainly a better single player game than, say, Quake II. I also think it's better than Rage overall.

The multiplayer isn't great. I don't think it's actually bad or anything, but it doesn't really feel all that special. It was also outsourced.

The campaign is what id Software was making and it's insanely good. Best FPS in years.

This is the same people that made Wolfenstein, right?

Volcynika

Beat the campaign on Ultra Violence in around 9 hours, really enjoyed it. Performed great on my PC too, outside of a small handful of CTDs this morning. I would deffo buy some single player DLC. Guess I might mess with multi a bit, and maybe wait till some good co-op stuff comes out for SnapMap stuff with friends? May go back secret hunting too.

This is the same people that made Wolfenstein, right?

Machine Games made TNO. They didn't work on this.

Top Bottom