• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

ultrazilla

So playing more last night, the game just gets better as you progress. The level design is fantastic. I find myself clearing out all the demons and monsters and then looking around for secrets and all the different places you can get to.

I put the game's built in fps counter on( other devs take note-include performance monitoring in your game as an option!) and I'm getting a rock solid 60fps at all times on Ultra settings @1080p. I'm rocking an ancient I5 3330 processor with a 970. The game just feels so damn polished and well optimized compared to other big AAA shooters *cough* COD *cough*.

Bethesda/ID deserve this to be a massive success. I usually detest DLC but already know I want more single player missions!

Anyone on the fence at this point is missing a classic in the making. The return of DOOM!

I really hope word of mouth gives this game legs. It's going to have zero initial sales because nobody even knows about it. It's also up against Uncharted 4 on PS4 lol. But it deserves to sell 500 million units because it's almost the only update of an old franchise title I've ever played which is both gloriously old-school and thoroughly modern at the same time. So many attempted updates of old franchises for the new era faceplant straight into a wood chipper. DOOM is almost the only one I can think of off the top of my head which doesn't.

Wolfenstein new order/old blood is right up your alley as well. Perfect mix of serious hardcore shooting with silly injokes and easter eggs.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had the money to double dip. I love this game so much and would love to play it in 1440p.

Yes it is that good.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Sora looks nervous.

FQQaD4S.png

I really hope word of mouth gives this game legs. It's going to have zero initial sales because nobody even knows about it. It's also up against Uncharted 4 on PS4 lol. But it deserves to sell 500 million units because it's almost the only update of an old franchise title I've ever played which is both gloriously old-school and thoroughly modern at the same time. So many attempted updates of old franchises for the new era faceplant straight into a wood chipper. DOOM is almost the only one I can think of off the top of my head which doesn't.

It appears to be doing quite well on Steam, if the total number of reviews are anything to go by. It's already approaching 5000 user reviews, so I think it's safe to assume that a good amount of people are buying it on Steam. On console, who knows, so let's see if it charts in the top 10 when NPD rolls out next month.

AaronMT86

Anybody else not enjoying the terrible music in this game? Currently I can't wait until I clear an area of enemies and for the music to stop playing. It's just terrible.

After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look and reading trusted impressions, I am 100% confounded by how badly Bethesda marketed this game from top to bottom.

From the laser focused emphasis on blood and gore Brutal Doom melee kill crap that screamed "these will probably get old and suck" when seen in video, to the radio silence on the single-player that lasted forever in favor of talking about the uninspiring MP, to the open beta itself being a massive letdown instead of just putting out a single player demo (a way to play Doom before you buy it! gosh, what a novel idea!), to the way the tone was seemingly established as 100% serious "MAN U R A MACHO BADASS RIP N TEAR" instead of the fantastic tongue-in-cheek humor that's present in the actual game, to the smuggest and most obnoxious blog post of marketing speak ever written, to the emphasis on the locked down "skate parks" which seemed to fly in the face of what Doom's level design is about because it allowed more blood effects per second in a preview video.

Whoever did the marketing for this game needs to be bopped on the head with a rolled up newspaper, because they failed spectacularly.

To top of it all off, they didnt send one single fuckin' review code so no big outlet can say, "no wait guys, its...its actually good. No really."

The marketing for this game should be studied in schools across the country on what not to do.

Anybody else not enjoying the terrible music in this game? Currently I can't wait until I clear an area of enemies and for the music to stop playing. It's just terrible.

Yeah, music in the game seems to be either love it or hate it. I also dislike it. But it seems a good number of people also love it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I love the music. Gives me Quake 2 vibes. Pretty sure you can turn it off in the options at any rate.

The Flash

Banned
After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look and reading trusted impressions, I am 100% confounded by how badly Bethesda marketed this game from top to bottom.

From the laser focused emphasis on blood and gore Brutal Doom melee kill crap that screamed "these will probably get old and suck" when seen in video, to the radio silence on the single-player that lasted forever in favor of talking about the uninspiring MP, to the open beta itself being a massive letdown instead of just putting out a single player demo (a way to play Doom before you buy it! gosh, what a novel idea!), to the way the tone was seemingly established as 100% serious "MAN U R A MACHO BADASS RIP N TEAR" instead of the fantastic tongue-in-cheek humor that's present in the actual game, to the smuggest and most obnoxious blog post of marketing speak ever written, to the emphasis on the locked down "skate parks" which seemed to fly in the face of what Doom's level design is about because it allowed more blood effects per second in a preview video.

Whoever did the marketing for this game needs to be bopped on the head with a rolled up newspaper, because they failed spectacularly.

EDIT: And I can't believe I forgot that they held review codes back until launch day. Were they embarrassed by the game? Did they assume that the negative reaction meant that the game was bad, and not that they flubbed the marketing?

Yeah it's a very strange situation overall. Lotta games being marketed poorly lately for some reason.

mcz117chief

There is music? I honestly don't remember. I thought there was just some silent ambient in the background.

.la1n

This is one of the rare games where I'd be all over the season pass if only it had been single player expansions instead of multiplayer junk.

It really feels like one of those scenarios where someone high up said "you can't sale games without multiplayer anymore so put it in."

Imagine what they could have accomplished had all that manpower been dedicated to single player and single player expansion.

T.O.P

Banned
I've been playing through this on the HTC Vive with vorpx and... holy shit is this game fun. I have goosebumps the whole time I'm playing. It is like the perfect mix of suspense and bad-assery on the vive.

Wait what, does it work well? I'm gonna try it later tonight, the speed might kill it for me tho :|

Shotty too good <3

I didn't realize how much I truly missed those classic id shooters until now.

This game is old school in all the right ways. Its open, pure, fast, honed to its essential parts, all about the action, begging to be replayed and replayed some more and mastered. The kind of game you can pop in to play a level on a Saturday morning to leave you pumped with a giddy smile on your face.

Just, fucking, awesome. Thank you for this Bethesda and id and whomever else helped make this happen. You've stoked some classic hellfire here.

psychotron

I'm on the second mission and this game is fucking awesome!!! You need to strategize while constantly moving. The verticality really adds to it as well. Way to go Bethesda!!

I couldn't even enjoy wolfenstein due to extreme motion sickness, which very rarely happens to me as well. Zero problems with doom.

WOW! This game went from RedBox rental to purchase in an hour.

Most FPS's give me motion sickness so I have't bought one in 10 years but this hasn't effected me at all. Playing on Xbox One BTW. Flat out awesome!

I had that problem so bad in wolfenstein that I could not play it longer than 30 minutes at a time.

No problem in doom so far on my PS4. FOV to max, no motion blur

Bodes well for me, thanks for the feedback y'all.

Vol5

Anyone else get a metroid prime vibe from this game? Secret areas, space, being alone, exploration?

Anyone?

While I'm here I'll drop in the fact that I think this game bests UC4 in the gfx department. Don't kill me.

dk_

Why doesn't Doom show up in my Steam activity feed? And when I click on my achievement progress I get a redirect.

This is one of the rare games where I'd be all over the season pass if only it had been single player expansions instead of multiplayer junk.
Absolutely. The dopamine high I get playing this would have easily translated into a gun-drunk purchase of single player / snap-map focused season pass.

I understand the desire to have competitive multiplayer here, and I'm sure plenty of players would have asked or begged for it if it wasn't included, but the singular focus on competitive for post-launch DLC makes no sense to me.

Bethsada bankrolled it and provided all the terrible marketing for the game.

Like whoever thought the biggest promotion for this game would be its Quake 4 style struggle MP beta and showing the same damn glory kill animation with a weapon wheel pausing the action constantly was a good idea....they needed to be fired ASAP

0racle

Anyone else get a metroid prime vibe from this game? Secret areas, space, being alone, exploration?

Anyone?

While I'm here I'll drop in the fact that I think this game bests UC4 in the gfx department. Don't kill me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bethsada bankrolled it and provided all the terrible marketing for the game.

Like whoever thought the biggest promotion for this game would be its Quake 4 style struggle MP beta and showing the same damn glory kill animation with a weapon wheel pausing the action constantly was a good idea....they needed to be fired ASAP

yeah i almost passed on the game and thought i'd just wait till it was $20 on black friday or something but after the good single player impressions i bought it immediately

kaskade

I kind of want to buy this but I don't have much interest in the multiplayer, especially with overwatch coming out. Maybe it'll hit 40 during a steam sale in the summer.

I had in mind buying Overwatch instead of this but...now that it's out and with all these comments, you're making it really hard. I mean, I may have to buy both. Are you happy? Shame on you, guys.

Top Bottom