• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

mdsfx

IGN's review in progress gave the single player (only) a tentative 7. I'm actually really surprised by that.

TaterTots

Banned
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my GPU/CPU in the next couple of months, so I'll have to revisit this game after that.

Another user in the performance thread told me he/she is having the same issue and that people have been bringing it up on Steam. May be some kind of bug involving our card :/ Hope it's fixed soon.

pa22word

So what does that hologram item do? I remember picking it up a few levels ago, and never could figure out how to activate it. If it's like the holoduke then omg :eek:

Protein

Banned
THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING GOOD. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKJKKKJK

Mupod

That last fight in
Kadingir Sanctum
was bullshit, not because the demons were particularly hard, but because the arena was really annoying to traverse. I was getting killed getting stuck while trying to grab a ledge or running off one level and landing literally in front of a
Mancubus
below. I also got instagibbed twice by a
Baron of Hell
because I was running one direction and since the demon AI always knows exactly where you are but you don't have a radar to know where they are, it literally jumped from below right on top of me and there was no way to avoid it because I didn't know it was below or jumping right at me.

I don't mind a challenging fight but when the arena or cheap AI are killing me instead of the demons shooting me fair and square, I tend to get pissed. What's funny was there wasn't a single moment where I thought I had to lower the difficulty from Ultra-Violence because I was being killed in cheap ways and all I had to do was avoid cheap deaths and I would clear it.

I enjoyed that part a lot, getting Serious Sam vibes here with how frantic things are becoming.
Multiple Barons
are a 'shit just got real' moment but it felt great doing that finisher on the last one.

I definitely think I could manage on Nightmare if I wanted to. I think I only had one combat death in that level, and one smooth leap away from a demon into a bottomless pit.

IGN's review in progress gave the single player (only) a tentative 7. I'm actually really surprised by that.

I don't expect this game to go over well with game journalist types. See that Polygon gameplay footage.

The Giantbomb guys seem real into it though.

Reebot

So what does that hologram item do? I remember picking it up a few levels ago, and never could figure out how to activate it. If it's like the holoduke then omg :eek:

Yeah it's basically holodoomguy. Press whatever key/button swaps equipment and then throw it.

Yeah, I'm almost positive it's DOOM's version of the Holoduke. I imagine it would be very useful against
multiple Barons of Hell

The multi-player is fantastic. I don't know why I'm turned around on it more now. I think it's more variety than the beta had? It seems faster too?

I really enjoy the chain gun.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What are the controls like on PS4? Does it use the touchpad for anything (like left side of touchpad opens a specific menu or something?)

My second DS4 broke and I'm stuck using my other DS4 with a non-functional touchpad.

Mupod

The multi-player is fantastic. I don't know why I'm turned around on it more now. I think it's more variety than the beta had? It seems faster too?

I really enjoy the chain gun.

I guess I can give it another shot. The PS4 beta was just offensive to me but I'm on PC where I belong now.

What are the controls like on PS4? Does it use the touchpad for anything (like left side of touchpad opens a specific menu or something?)

My second DS4 broke and I'm stuck using my other DS4 with a non-functional touchpad.

Touchpad opens the menu, which is where the map and upgrades are

Both sides open it if only one doesn't work. I can check alt control schemes if you want

Risette

A Good Citizen
Touchpad opens the menu, which is where the map and upgrades are

Both sides open it if only one doesn't work
Well the touchpad button itself still works so it should be good, as long as it isn't sensitive to where you press for a specific menu (like MGSV, BB, Souls). Thanks!

nubbe

Loving this game so far.

But is it really true that the only DLC planned is multiplayer stuff that will fragment the already small community and no new content/expansions for the single player (aka best part of the game) are planned?
The DLC is completely out of sync with what the players want from the game

It's IGN, so I'm not.

This game is fucking dope. I think most of us can agree that at the very least, the campaign is an 8. And I do mean very least.

daedalius

Jumping with the air control rune has never felt better, holy shit

Also the guys guarding the key thing are no joke. I thought the 2nd phase was actually easier since they lose the shield.

FrsDvl

I think I'm going to lower the difficulty... early hell was a cakewalk compared to this.

Hmm maybe not yet after all. Finally finished that chapter.

I'm enjoying this a lot.

Sound mixing seems off though. Wolfenstein TNO had the same kind of issue too.

I like the sound design in the game, and I really like how the music escalates when you do shit like a glory kill. I know its the same guy who did the Killer Instinct soundtrack and it does that too, goddamn its so good

Anung

Un Rama
Good luck to people wanting to get through these later areas without glory killing. I absolutely had to chain them together to keep myself alive and buy some time to plan my next move.

Joaby

Neo Member
I don't expect this game to go over well with game journalist types. See that Polygon gameplay footage.

The Giantbomb guys seem real into it though.

That's my review. I'm not bad at the game. I just think that using dozens of kill chambers to hide the fact that the AI is as dumb as it was 23 years ago is a bit of a cop out, and the solid exploration between demon filled rooms doesn't make up for that.

I just think that using dozens of kill chambers to hide the fact that the AI is as dumb as it was 23 years ago is a bit of a cop out

The AI is incredibly aggressive and dynamic. Even Imps, which are among the most basic and commonly found enemies, leap and climb all over the place almost nonstop. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

That's my review. I'm not bad at the game. I just think that using dozens of kill chambers to hide the fact that the AI is as dumb as it was 23 years ago is a bit of a cop out, and the solid exploration between demon filled rooms doesn't make up for that.

The Imps are pretty complex. I'm not sure if you would really want more advanced A.I. when you have to deal with massive hordes.

robotrock

Banned
I like the sound design in the game, and I really like how the music escalates when you do shit like a glory kill. I know its the same guy who did the Killer Instinct soundtrack and it does that too, goddamn its so good

Yeah Mick Gordon really is a god. I think this is my favorite soundtrack from him.

labx

Banned
so the game is worth buying just for the single player or I should buy the season pass to can enjoy the full "experience"

Anung

Un Rama
The AI is incredibly aggressive and dynamic. Even Imps, which are among the most basic and commonly found enemies, leap and climb all over the place almost nonstop. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

It's even more notable in later parts of the game when they are particularly aggressive and apply a crazy amount of pressure forcing almost map control levels of being pushed back.

EDIT: Different classes attacking in unison to force the player to both keep moving quickly but also to change effective tactics up on the fly. If the A.I was anymore complex it'd be too relentless.

so the game is worth buying just for the single player or I should buy the season pass to can enjoy the full "experience"

As it stands now, you probably shouldn't get the season pass as the MP is solid but needs some work. That could all change in a couple months though, so I'd wait for that.

SparkTR

Season pass is just MP stuff right? Then give that a pass IMO. Worth it for the SP, but you can get it for $35-$40 on PC now, which is more in-line with what I'd pay for it. Campaign took me around 10 hours but they were very fun.

It's even more notable in later parts of the game when they are particularly aggressive and apply a crazy amount of pressure forcing almost map control levels of being pushed back.

Yeah once I hit the hell levels and the big guys started to come out I spent a lot of time running and jumping around almost the entire fight. That's what I really like about the game, you cannot really stick still (which makes me wonder why I bought the Gauss Rifle upgrade that makes it into a stationary thing) or hide, neither will do you much good. You have to strafe and move as much as you did in OG Doom.

Once I started to get used to fighting multiple Hell Knights at the same time the Barons showed up and man when you face them sometimes you just gotta book it and readjust your tactic

Aeana

Season pass is just MP stuff right? Then give that a pass IMO. Worth it for the SP, but you can get it for $35-$40 on PC now, which is more in-line with what I'd pay for it. Campaign took me around 10 hours but they were very fun.

Where? I was going to buy it tonight since I finished UC4, but GMG is out of stock and I don't know where else to look for cheaper prices.

Welp,

I'm ready to get flamed but I can't help it...

Movement feels like absolute shit in the PS4 verison

As mentioned before, there's essentially a huuuuuge fucking deadzone with the left analog where you basically move like molasses one moment and then break out into a run, once the analog nearly touches the edge of the gate. Like, 90 percent of the analog range feels completely unused!
It feels absolutely horrid and I CANNOT get over it. If the situation where flipped and this was on the right analog, people would be rioting, but because it's nearly tied to movement, most won't care.
It feels like I'm playing on a keyboard via WASD rather than utilizing the full range of my DualShock4's analog.
I'm prepared to RedBox the XboxOne version to see if its any better

But yeah, sorry GAF, I know it's an balls out, amazing game, but I just can't stand how it feels to actually move around the environments. I'm sorry, but I like to periodically slowly and methodically move around the area/use the horizontal axis for fine aim adjustment, but I can't do it comfortably at all in DooM.

If someone needs an example of what I consider GOD-TIER movement AND aiming in a console FPS, see: Titanfall, Halo 5, or even something less intense like Wolf or Far Cry 4

And before people say, "bruh, you're supposed to running all the time!" I'm here to reiterate that having to run isn't the issue, it's that ALL you can do is either run or SLOOOOWLY talk. No in-between. period.

The AI being dumb is kinda the point when you have over 20 monsters attacking you at the same time. Once you get the patterns down, it becomes a game of choosing which ones to attack first in order to stay alive effectively in the harder difficulties. It also makes you plan out accordingly which is basically what you would do in the original Doom.

I think the only thing that has merit though is being locked in a room constantly really takes away your freedom and the exploration aspect. That being said it wasn't enough to hamper the single player for me especially once you get to Hell, and the game goes crazy with all the different enemy types.

Went on a long spree where I happened to have both the chainsaw and invisibility. It was too easy!

Quad damage is awesome too, I took down a mancubus really quickly with the minigun.

Joaby

Neo Member

I suppose it was hyperbolic to say the AI was as dumb as it was 23 years ago, but I also guess that's why I explained it a lot better in the review itself. Enemies alternating between running at you as fast as possible or lobbing ranged attacks at you from fixed positions doesn't strike me as intelligent.

The Imps are pretty complex. I'm not sure if you would really want more advanced A.I. when you have to deal with massive hordes.

I think more advanced AI would be challenging to balance alongside numbers, absolutely, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I finished the game (apart from the boss fights, of course) by running laps through kill chambers until a train of enemies followed me to their Doom. That's the sort of thing I expect from MMOs, not a shooter in this, the year of the lord two thousand and sixteen.

bathsalts

They arent hiding anything theyre actually trying to get the player to recognize AI patterns and behaviors so they can deal with it when waves have multiple enemy types. The monsters are there to fill different roles in wave composition. It doesnt have to be smart because its not that kind of shooter, the original doom is just as fun as contemporary shooters despite advances in AI.

Welp,

As mentioned before, there's essentially a huuuuuge fucking deadzone with the left analog where you basically move like molasses one moment and then break out into a run, once the analog nearly touches the edge of the gate. Like, 90 percent of the analog range feels completely unused!
It feels absolutely horrid and I CANNOT get over it. If the situation where flipped and this was on the right analog, people would be rioting, but because it's nearly tied to movement, most won't care.
It feels like I'm playing on a keyboard via WASD rather than utilizing the full range of my DualShock4's analog.

But yeah, sorry GAF, I know it's an balls out, amazing game, but I just can't stand how it feels to actually move around the environments. I'm sorry, but I like to periodically slowly and methodically move around the area/use the horizontal axis for fine aim adjustment, but I can't do it comfortably at all in DooM.

If someone needs an example of what I consider GOD-TIER movement AND aiming in a console FPS, see: Titanfall, Halo 5, or even something less intense like Wolf or Far Cry 4

And before people say, "bruh, you're supposed to running all the time!" I'm here to reiterate that having to run isn't the issue, it's that ALL you can do is either run or SLOOOOWLY talk. No in-between. period.

Are you sure its not your controller? I don't think I've had that issue, or at least haven't noticed it. Movement and aiming feels great for me on a controller.

Edit: Oh I misunderstood. That's just Doom. Moving fast at all times is the core.

FrsDvl

Welp,

Same on Xbox one.

Uhh the Aiming in Halo 5 is awful.

I dont have this movement issues you have with DOOM.

I had Aiming issues with Doom, because it felt so unresponsive. But turning down this weird "smoothing" option fixd that issue for me.

Top Bottom