• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I "don't get it" because we disagree on whether Doom should aspire to be more than what it was. And I won't listen to reason, which in this case is you claiming I said things I didn't.
The issue is that we very rarely see games that focus on delivering this type of action. It's an intentional throwback in a world where such games are scarce. And it has evolved. A lot. Doom 2016 is a vertical game with a focus on jumping and scaling the world in a way that was impossible in Doom. It's not a retread, it's a new thing inspired by the original.

hlhbk

I "don't get it" because we disagree on whether Doom should aspire to be more than what it was. And I won't listen to reason, which in this case is you claiming I said things I didn't.

Doom the way it was is better than 99% of the shooters today. They tried to make Doom more than it was and ended up with a COD clone that was thankfully cancelled. Don't fuck with the formula.

Freeman76

The issue is that we very rarely see games that focus on delivering this type of action. It's an intentional throwback in a world where such games are scarce. And it has evolved. A lot. Doom 2016 is a vertical game with a focus on jumping and scaling the world in a way that was impossible in Doom. It's not a retread, it's a new thing inspired by the original.

Thanks, i gave up trying to convey this, probably out of frustration.

Freeman76

If I didn't play the old games because I didn't have a PC until CS 1.6 was the big PC FPS (I played a few hours of Quake 3 mp on my schools LAN setup and that is probably my closest reference), is there a chance I would still like it? I liked the new Wolfenstein a fair bit. Length sounds good though, perfect actually.

If you like balls to the wall shooters at breakneck speed fending off hordes of nasty enemies that can kill you in an instant, purchase this game.

ISee

So this game seems more well-recieved than I had expected. Might check it out after I'm done with Uncharted. Does it play well on the PS4? And is the game genuinely good, or are most of you just nostalgic?

I kind of feel like playing a mindless shooter campaign for a bit, is the game weekend-able (like, easy to just blow through in a few sessions)?

It runs pretty good on PS4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhsmcoYybc

And yes the game is genuinely good and in despite of being based on an old and 'outdated' FPS formula the game evolved enough and feels more fresh and exciting than let's say CoD 3 because of the speed, the need to keep your momentum and killing spree up and the 'parkour inspired' combat.
To be honest Doom 4 feels more like a new and modernized Quake than classic doom (but quake was dooms successor in the first place so...)

You can blaze through the game during a weekend, but if you want to find all secrets and unlock all classic doom maps (worth it imo) than it might take a couple of hours longer.

ieatzombies

Just beat that first battle and checkpointed on mars on Nightmare... Holy fuck guys! That difficulty spike was ridiculous and the ai we're destroying me. But, after learning the routes that was an amazingly intense battle! Doom!

Just finished the game and it was AMAZING!
I loved everything about it. great gameplay with fun, fast and brutal actions, amazing level designs, nice and nostalgic demons and weapons, outstanding visuals and masterpiece music. even credits was superb!!!
Doom II was my first PC game and then I played other Doom games (except Doom 64) and loved them all and new Doom is exactly what I wanted from id Software. can't wait for DLC or next game.
--------------------
The references to classic Dooms levels are great!
When I saw this location:
y5899k.png

It immediately reminded me of that level with Mancubuses in Doom II:
lFzDWj.png

And then suddenly Mancubuses arrived! :D
gBK4M2.png

Final Boss
Yes! Spider Mastermind
was amazing too!

A-V-B

Finished the game. Awesome.

Let me say that the Vega Coolant Chamber should be a multi-player map, played at the exact speed I played it in SP.

All the jumps, the platforms, the rotational energy, the little crannies for hiding for a few moments... it's awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
huge People Can Fly vibe from this thing. Loving it.

dark10x

Just beat that first battle and checkpointed on mars on Nightmare... Holy fuck guys! That difficulty spike was ridiculous and the ai we're destroying me. But, after learning the routes that was an amazingly intense battle! Doom!
That's the one area where the consoles fall down. Having to wait 15-20 seconds between retries really kills the pacing on Nightmare. The PC version is just so much faster.

Wonder how an SSD would perform on consoles in this game?

ZehDon

Level three down, and this is starting to feel like GOTY material at this point. I'm trying to take my time with the campaign to make it last longer, but a part of me just wants to binge the awesomeness. Also, yeah, gonna need me a Doom-guy figurine now.

Breaks my heart that multiplayer is kinda trash. Remove basically everything Certain Affinity added in, and just let players run around with guns, and MP would be incredible on the strength of the gunplay alone. I feel bad for id - the fallout from the beta must have been hard to watch, knowing it wasn't representative of the game they'd made. Hopefully we get a classic mode.

Teknoman

Level three down, and this is starting to feel like GOTY material at this point. I'm trying to take my time with the campaign to make it last longer, but a part of me just wants to binge the awesomeness. Also, yeah, gonna need me a Doom-guy figurine now.

Breaks my heart that multiplayer is kinda trash. Remove basically everything Certain Affinity added in, and just let players run around with guns, and MP would be incredible on the strength of the gunplay alone. I feel bad for id - the fallout from the beta must have been hard to watch, knowing it wasn't representative of the game they'd made. Hopefully we get a classic mode.

I'd buy one. And yeah Doom MP should've just been pure MP with full weapon loads. The extra modes do seem cool and I cant wait to jump in.

In a way that's also completely not 90's, in terms of how much they built on it, and what they decided to add and throw away.

I can imagine the over the top 90's ads for this game relating to how violent this game is and how mothers should be afraid of their children playing it lol

ieatzombies

That's the one area awn where the consoles fall down. Having to wait 15-20 seconds between retries really kills the pacing on Nightmare. The PC version is just so much faster.

That's exactly what I said out loud to myself. I just kept pushing through. I was thinking "if only for a super meatboy respawn system and this would be perfection. It's a brutal difficulty spike and the wait time makes you grate your teeth. Beautiful otherwise.

A-V-B

Animations are great for most of the demons. Really like Pinky animations! they are so cute when running! :D

First time the Pinky showed up in the UAC base, I pulled out my chainsaw when the cutscene ended. We ran at each other, head first like some hellish game of joust. It was a pretty fantastic moment.

Can you find all collectibles / secrets on your first time through a level, or are you supposed to come back to them later with upgraded abilities - Metroid style?

A-V-B

Can you find all collectibles / secrets on your first time through a level, or are you supposed to come back to them later with upgraded abilities - Metroid style?

I think you can do it first time. I just wasn't fully using my map in the beginning. I'm sure that's why I missed shit.

ISee

That's the one area where the consoles fall down. Having to wait 15-20 seconds between retries really kills the pacing on Nightmare. The PC version is just so much faster.

Hmm I was always under the impression that installing a ssd doesn't improve loading times by much because of the ps4s sata 2 connector.
But maybe I'm wrong, never bothered to buy a ssd for my ps4.

dark10x

Hmm I was always under the impression that installing a ssd doesn't improve loading times by much because of the ps4s sata 2 connector.
But maybe I'm wrong, never bothered to buy a ssd for my ps4.
It doesn't make anywhere near as large a difference as it should due to that but it still helps quite a bit.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

Id like uncharted to not be a cinematic narrative experience but thats just the type of game it is.

Asking doom to move on from being a arena shooter is silly because that's just what it is

ISee

Just reached Kadingur Sanctum. Holy fuck at the graphics on this level! These are some of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen.

It's definitely a good looking game and it's a bit of a miracle how they managed to combine this kind of visuals and a performance like this. And not enough people are posting screenshots in here (imo).

Kadingur Sanctum

It doesn't make anywhere near as large a difference as it should due to that but it still helps quite a bit.

Now I'm intrigued to put my old 830 (120gb) in there just to test it. But first I have to replay this fantastic game on nightmare.

Tbh last week I didn't even think about buying Doom 4 and now I'm definitely going to replay it. In hindsight they didn't market (represent) the game well. ID/Bethesda should release a demo asap.

Truant

Finished the game. Fantastic final area and boss. Ending was so so, could have been a lot worse.

ID/Machinegames really need to do a sequel/reboot of Quake next. Go full on Lovecraftian horror.

Amazing that the glory kill system is an actual mechanic that not only finishes off an enemy but gives you bonus health, from the previews it was as if it was just for show but really it's integral to the game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are you sure its not your controller? I don't think I've had that issue, or at least haven't noticed it. Movement and aiming feels great for me on a controller.

Edit: Oh I misunderstood. That's just Doom. Moving fast at all times is the core.

I have the same issue in my DS4, but while it feels very weird I can get over it and enjoy the amazing game behind it. Still, I think they will gather feedback and fix issues like this.

pa22word

Finished the game. Fantastic final area and boss. Ending was so so, could have been a lot worse.

ID/Machinegames really need to do a sequel/reboot of Quake next. Go full on Lovecraftian horror.

Question of bringing quake back always falls into two camps tho....

Do you want a Quake-2 or do you want a Quake 5?

Personally I've always found it sad that quake never really got the sequel it deserved. Quake 2 and on are fun games in their own right don't get me wrong, but Quake is such a weird and interesting game that Quake 2 just brushed aside to do its own thing. Considering Doom 4 is basically Quake with doom trappings anyways, I'd rather them go for actually looking at the first game and doing something weird and unique again.

DjRalford

Amazing that the glory kill system is an actual mechanic that not only finishes off an enemy but gives you bonus health, from the previews it was as if it was just for show but really it's integral to the game.

The only reason I've survived in some areas is due to the glory kill health and ammo boosts.

Top Bottom