• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Wow, talk about level design taking a fucking low dip with the Argent Tower Energy bullshit.

Whoever thought it's a great idea to build insanely stupid, long, complicated platforming sections into a first person shooter should get repeatedly punched in the dick until his balls fall off. What a frustrating, crappy level.

I'd like to think they played Ginso Tree Escape while designing that level.

SkylineRKR

Wow, talk about level design taking a fucking low dip with the Argent Tower Energy bullshit.

Whoever thought it's a great idea to build insanely stupid, long, complicated platforming sections into a first person shooter should get repeatedly punched in the dick until his balls fall off. What a frustrating, crappy level.

I loved it, and I replayed it for a missed secret and ran through it within 10 minutes. Its rather short.

The beginning on the rails is sort of eh, but the rest I loved. Even the platform sequences.

TM94

I know this has little to do with the actual game itself.

But god almighty, I can't believe that cover art was made final.

Why did they not just use the awesome fan-made one front and center?

hlhbk

They were trying to reel in the Call Of Duty and Halo crowd.

bidguy

Banned

a lot of questionable decisions with marketing on this game ...

on a different note ... mick gordon is a BEAST

d3vnull

Running and blasting through "Nightmare" hordes of demons while this beast of a track plays...
I don't have words on how great this game makes me feel.

What can I say... ID did it! Now bring back the OG Quake like this and I can die a happy man.

hlhbk

Sounds like it really gives back that old Doom vibe then?

One of the best compliments I can give this game is as a fan of Doom for 23 years and beating the first 2 countless times I I started playing this game and it felt like I was playing the original gameplay wise. The speed, and just the overall game is a prettier extension of the original. This is easily up there for GOTY contender for me.

Sounds like it really gives back that old Doom vibe then?

I like this game a lot and I have played Doom and Doom 2 in several iterations over the course of my life and I'd caution against going into Doom 2016 with pure desires of having an old-school experience.

It's definitely got recognizable old-school sensibilities and seems designed to homage the early-to-mid-90's that Doom and Doom 2 rose out of and some Quake DNA in there too, but it's definitely a shooter that feels contemporary-yet-unique in its own right.

It's not just a good measure of its id Software predecessors, it's also just a good measure against what else is on the market these days.

ISee

I love this kind of comparisons:

~23 years ago
doom18vk2h.jpg

~20 years ago

~12 years ago

~2 days ago

SkylineRKR

One of the best compliments I can give this game is as a fan of Doom for 23 years and beating the first 2 countless times I I started playing this game and it felt like I was playing the original gameplay wise. The speed, and just the overall game is a prettier extension of the original. This is easily up there for GOTY contender for me.

Its funny but the strafe and shoot feels so fucking good. No ADS, no slower movement while you're shooting and you can even jump. Circle those fuckers and unload.

Funny because this is how FPS started out. For some reason, man thought it was better to ADS shoot and be nearly stalled while doing it. They also thought it was better that we would carry only 2 weapons with us, because you know, it might get complicated. There is a scope in Doom, but it seems to be the most useless upgrade I made. Go for the missiles.

Doom goes back, the only thing current-gen about it is the graphics. And do I love it.

The mistake I made at the beginning was trying to play this like modern shooters, so not moving constantly and trying to shoot rockets directly at enemies. But then I remembered Unreal and Quake and the countless of hours I spent with them; I bunny hopped and laid rockets at their feet, let the splash damage do the rest. Switching weapons on the fly. Its magnificent.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just finished the game and it was AMAZING!
I loved everything about it. great gameplay with fun, fast and brutal actions, amazing level designs, nice and nostalgic demons and weapons, outstanding visuals and masterpiece music. even credits was superb!!!
Doom II was my first PC game and then I played other Doom games (except Doom 64) and loved them all and new Doom is exactly what I wanted from id Software. can't wait for DLC or next game.
--------------------
The references to classic Dooms levels are great!
When I saw this location:
y5899k.png

It immediately reminded me of that level with Mancubuses in Doom II:
lFzDWj.png

And then suddenly Mancubuses arrived! :D
gBK4M2.png

Final Boss
Yes! Spider Mastermind
was amazing too!

It is a great game, really really a breath of awesome fresh air. It did make me realise why a lot of designers do not attempt this kind of level in FPS games with free aiming and vertical platforming... It is a lot more difficult to look at every nook and cranny for secrets, hat off to the DOOM level designers as they tackled a very very complex problem.

In the old DOOM, without having to worry about looking up and down for aiming and with very fast movement (lower resolution also helps because there is less detail you have to paint in, less detail in each location allowing you to design larger worlds more easily in a way although it was more complex to render them on the Hw of the time), you could add complexity in the level layout and still not make exploration as tricky as it would be in a badly designed hyper detailed modern FPS.

Nokterian

So when i go back to previous levels to solve secrets and get new upgrades does it still carry over to the last mission i was doing or do i have to start over again?

m4st4

Doom 3 still looks like the better of The Big Three (Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3). That engine wasn't as multi-practical as Source but damn does it look good.

seph1roth

Guys, this game is AMAZING.

I've never seen an FPS like this since Turok 2, without a doubt, for me this is the best shooter i've played since HL2.

Yeah, i know there are games like Halo 3, COD 4, etc...but those are modern shooters, i'm a fan of 90's shooters, getting lost in their maps, no life regeneration, carrying more than 2 weapons at the same time.

This is the shooter i've been dreaming so many years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Friend dropped over. Played for about 10 minutes mid level and instantly loved it.

Alienous

Is there a demo out for Doom? I should have plenty of horse power to run the game but i don't want to risk it if it runs like ass just like Wolfenstein new order did, passed the recommended with flying colors yet the game ran sub 30 even on the lowest settings, and i don't want the same to happen with Doom.

Seems like the perfect scenario for a Steam Refund if that occurs.

Does anyone know how to host a multiplayer match (private match i guess is what the kids call it), or if it's even possible? Perhaps through console commands?

Hey all, a helpful individual on the steam forums clues me into a weird fix - I wasn't getting 5.1 to work in DOOM, but if you change your Sound to 7.1 in the control panel it will suddenly work.

I even unchecked the side speakers. Kind of weird but hope that helps others who have been having the issue.

twisteh

This is the best FPS I've played for years. Such a fun campaign so far, please tell me there are more levels like The Foundry? The level design of that made me so nostalgic, so much better than the linear shit in 99% of shooters these days. Great fun exploring for secrets!

After realizing I had someone limited my monitor to a first-world problems refresh rate of 60hz and set it to 144hz...played the first level and it's so good. feels great to play and the sense of speed is fantastic.

it's also quite bloody.

but really good.

Hang on, after finishing the game you can't replay the game on a higher difficulty with all your weapons and upgrades on mission select?

Boooo

That's really disappointing actually.

Skitso78

This is the best FPS I've played for years. Such a fun campaign so far, please tell me there are more levels like The Foundry? The level design of that made me so nostalgic, so much better than the linear shit in 99% of shooters these days. Great fun exploring for secrets!

I've not completed the game yet, I'm at
- - - level 8/13 - - -
, but alas, it seems to be a high point of the game map design wise. Later levels seem much more linear without key card hunting, looping, branching or open structure and the secrets are mostly just small uninspired rooms easily found when you turn in the "wrong direction" when entering a new corridor. They are more like other modern fps levels that are trying to be old school, like New order. I hope last levels get better. :/

on PC yea? I might have to grab the PS4 version for now because I can't stand the game just closing in the middle of hectic fights. Hopefully they fix it on PC.

Yeah, PC. It didn't start until about halfway through the game. Now I'm at the end of the game (I think), so 4-5 times wasn't too bad. Still really annoying.

RemiLP

Did we know about the secret original levels? Thats really cool. Makes me excited to look for secrets so i can play the old maps aswell.

RemiLP

Why so i get "content still pending install" when i try to play play multiplayer and continue game? The game cant still be installing? Played through two maps today.

Arkanius

Please iD give us the tools to expand the game to INFINITY.

This needs to be a platform like the previous Dooms were. This game is just too good.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I wonder how hard it would be for them to patch in a new game+ mode.

I prefer classic mode. Where doors are always open and you can avoid any enemy (only keycards needed). It really needs this for speedrunning - but I can see why they didn't want it in there for the reviews. Somebody would make a "you can beat Doom in twenty minutes" opinion piece and the internet would just eat it.

Skitso78

I'll quote myself from the previous page:

I've not completed the game yet, I'm at
- - - level 8/13 - - -
, but alas, it seems to be a high point of the game map design wise. Later levels seem much more linear without key card hunting, looping, branching or open structure and the secrets are mostly just small uninspired rooms easily found when you turn in the "wrong direction" when entering a new corridor. They are more like other modern fps levels that are trying to be old school, like New order. I hope last levels get better. :/

Are there similar branching maps still to come like Foundry?

I'll quote myself from the previous page:

Are there similar branching maps still to come?

I haven't been counting, but the later Hell levels are definitely the pinnacle. They feel like the old-school maps, in beautiful graphical detail. Trap-doors, well hidden nooks and crannies, and if you turn the compass off you're bound to get lost at least once.

Top Bottom