• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Question of bringing quake back always falls into two camps tho....

Do you want a Quake-2 or do you want a Quake 5?

Personally I've always found it sad that quake never really got the sequel it deserved. Quake 2 and on are fun games in their own right don't get me wrong, but Quake is such a weird and interesting game that Quake 2 just brushed aside to do its own thing. Considering Doom 4 is basically Quake with doom trappings anyways, I'd rather them go for actually looking at the first game and doing something weird and unique again.

Quake has no style. First game was incredible, second game was incredible but nothing like the first, third game was incredible for multiplayer but nothing like the first two, Quake 4 was a successor to Quake 2. I would love a return to the medieval Quake 1. At this point Quake 2/4 and Doom are pretty much the same thing.

DjRalford

So..

It sounds like this game is worth the 50 euro's? Less emphasis on story but a shitload more on gameplay and redefining the genre.

What you buying it on?

I'm enjoying it, although I'm terrible, not polygon terrible though, it's a really engrossing game and good fun to boot.

ISee

So..

It sounds like this game is worth the 50 euro's? Less emphasis on story but a shitload more on gameplay and redefining the genre.

They aren't redefining the genre, it's more like a recreation/revival of a sub genre which was presumed dead and outdated. But yes it's worth the money and the game play feels fresh and exciting. But it may not be for everyone. They really need to build a demo for this game. I'm sure it would help to boost sales dramatically (more than any trailer or YT let's play).

What you buying it on?

I'm enjoying it, although I'm terrible, not polygon terrible though, it's a really engrossing game and good fun to boot.

If there's enough variation in the encounters and the game gives the same old Doom vibe of having to trace back and forth by looking for keycards, hidden rooms and secrets in order to progress, then that is definitely something I need to have.

If there's enough variation in the encounters and the game gives the same old Doom vibe of having to trace back and forth by looking for keycards, hidden rooms and secrets in order to progress, then that is definitely something I need to have.
You need to have this game then.

hlhbk

One of the best compliments I can give this game is as a fan of Doom for 23 years and beating the first 2 countless times I I started playing this game and it felt like I was playing the original gameplay wise. The speed, and just the overall game is a prettier extension of the original. This is easily up there for GOTY contender for me.

DieH@rd

Banned
I described it to my friends as "metroid prime, mortal kombat and doom had a baby"

You could add Fury Road to that description. :)

I'm working on extracting the complete soundtrack. Only have the music through the prologue uploaded, it is a slow process between this and working 12hr shifts.

Many thanks!

That was polygon playing?

They added colourblind settings, unfortunately it seems there's not settings for the totally blind.

lol

pitchfork

Campaign is fucking glorious! finished it last night on 'Hurt me plenty'

Gonna try MP later

Are there any plans to add a co-op horde mode?

Tecnniqe

Banned
That was polygon playing?

They added colourblind settings, unfortunately it seems there's not settings for the totally blind.

D6l8fu1.gif

lazygecko

First time the Pinky showed up in the UAC base, I pulled out my chainsaw when the cutscene ended. We ran at each other, head first like some hellish game of joust. It was a pretty fantastic moment.

The physics in this game are really wonky, as evidenced by the constantly glitching ragdolls. When I met a Pinky he charged into a physics-enabled box prop and somehow killed himself.

ieatzombies

Will be uploading a clip of some fun if I can get the fucking ps4 capture to share working. Loves! For some reason even if it's done uploading. It's not showing up to where I can show you my shit show!

Pakoe

Took me 10 hours to beat the game, currently replaying it trying to find all the secrets.
Haven't had this much fun with a game in a long, long time.

ieatzombies

Took me 10 hours to beat the game, currently replaying it trying to find all the secrets.
Haven't had this much fun with a game in a long, long time.
10 hours... On? Congrats. I'm trying to find all of the secrets my ocd is killing me with doom. But..10 hours. Kick ass man if you nightmared it. Even if you didn't. Applause.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
I was not expecting this game to be this highly praised here on GAF (or at all), dont now why.
How does this play on PS4/dualshock? Always choosed PC as main playform for FPS games before.

KahooTs

Is there anyone playing on nightmare on PC finding the enemy drops in the midst of a proper arena fight not critical to clearing parts?

ZanDatsu

Is there NG+ that lets you take over all the upgrades??

Unfortunately not, and you can't select a higher difficulty to replay missions on. I'm only able to replay them on the difficulty I selected and below, which takes away pretty much any challenge when going through completed missions. This is the thing I'm probably most disappointed by because the whole time I was playing I was thinking how I'd love to go through these areas again when fully leveled-up and have the enemy type/amount scale for that. I got my hopes up for something that didn't exist... Shame.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Unfortunately not, and you can't select a higher difficulty to replay missions on. I'm only able to replay them on the difficulty I selected and below, which takes away pretty much any challenge when going through completed missions. This is the thing I'm probably most disappointed by because the whole time I was playing I was thinking how I'd love to go through these areas again when fully leveled-up and have the enemy type/amount scale for that. I got my hopes up for something that didn't exist... Shame.

Yeah I had the same feeling after finishing since the story
just ends?
and wanted to run it on NG+ with enemy scaling.

Damn DkS3 ruined it for me :p

ieatzombies

For some reason I can't get my clip ti play. I'll work on it. Here is my initial findings of playing this amazing brutal asshole.

These fuckers don't hold your hand and make you feel like you can leap to and frolic about (even though there is so much area and exploration.) You still have to hold your ass no joke. They will eat your existence if you are not aware. It's beautiful. It's amazing that they captured the essence of DOOM and materialized it into now. Where upgrade systems work. The gibs and meaty combat and feel. This already feels like my goty. Easy. It's fucking breautfull! The AI leaps and jumps around you in a way that you have to be pinpoint with. They're dirty and you are there play things. You, however, have the bigger arsenal. Put your mind to ease, learn your surroundings and items/areas of spawning and crank it to nightmare mode. The most instense shit you'll play. You are "the sick marine". But, "the sick marine" who has the kill finishers and wants to chainsaw them all to hell. It challenges you to learn your surroundings. Many shooters in the landscape have a hardtime of showing different ways in which to change the landscape. Enjoy the new instance and learn the new landscape.

Just started the game, runs great but one tech issue - does anyone else not have surround sound working on PC? I swear my rear speakers aren't picking up enemy noises

Just started the game, runs great but one tech issue - does anyone else not have surround sound working on PC? I swear my rear speakers aren't picking up enemy noises

Sound is one weak aspect of this game's design. Surround channels are not very active, except for the growls of the zombies which are for some reason full volume from all speakers. I'm so tired of WAAAAH RAAAH at this point, it makes me want to find every zombie and smash their skulls in. Which I do.

Wow, talk about level design taking a fucking low dip with the Argent Tower Energy bullshit.

Whoever thought it's a great idea to build insanely stupid, long, complicated platforming sections into a first person shooter should get repeatedly punched in the dick until his balls fall off. What a frustrating, crappy level.

Sound is one weak aspect of this game's design. Surround channels are not very active, except for the growls of the zombies which are for some reason full volume from all speakers. I'm so tired of WAAAAH RAAAH at this point, it makes me want to find every zombie and smash their skulls in. Which I do.

Hm, thats a bummer - positional sound could really help out in these fights. Well, I'll just keep at it, certainly not a game breaking issue yet.

E-flux

Is there a demo out for Doom? I should have plenty of horse power to run the game but i don't want to risk it if it runs like ass just like Wolfenstein new order did, passed the recommended with flying colors yet the game ran sub 30 even on the lowest settings, and i don't want the same to happen with Doom.

Top Bottom