• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Mupod

keep getting random crashes in PC version. I heard a review call out crashes in PS4 version also. Anyone experience those?

I've had two crashes to desktop so far. One in level 5, one in 6. About 7 hours of gameplay so far. When it crashed it just went to desktop instantly, no error message.

I had another problem at the end of 5 where the game would hang at a black screen - happened every single time and prevented me from progressing.. I solved this by ugprading to the newest nvidia driver, but didn't stop my crashing in 6.

Anung

Un Rama
Completed the UAC mission on Ultra Nightmare and whew that was intense. Spent the entire level moving and glory kills are a must. Took me a few attempts but got it in the end. I love that they implemented bloodstains so you can see all the people who died on the way to the end.

A real big thing they missed was new game plus. Also some missions when I pick them put me in the latter half of the mission so the UAC mission doesn't let me see that awesome opening stuff.

eshwaaz

Just got to Hell. I am so, so pleased with this game. I was very excited when they showed the first campaign footage at last year's E3, and hoped that id would be able to pull it off. Man oh man, did they deliver.

It's so thrilling to be playing a FPS like this after getting smothered in CoD and CoD clones for nearly a decade. I honestly didn't think we'd ever see an FPS like this again.

I hope this sells huge for id. They deserve it.

nakedeyes

Banned
Why so i get "content still pending install" when i try to play play multiplayer and continue game? The game cant still be installing? Played through two maps today.
I was getting the same thing. Turns out, they give you exactly the first two campaign missions while the rest downloads. If you are on PS4, go to your notifications->downloads and you can see the progress of the 50GBs of other campaign shit / multiplayer ..

RemiLP

I was getting the same thing. Turns out, they give you exactly the first two campaign missions while the rest downloads. If you are on PS4, go to your notifications->downloads and you can see the progress of the 50GBs of other campaign shit / multiplayer ..

Gattsu25

Banned
Regarding the steam release and how achievements and screenshots don't show up in the activity feed: I've been taking a ton of shots of this game as I think it looks fantastic but, unless I directly link to them, no one can see them on my activity feed.

Doesn't really bother me either way as I take the images for myself but it must be a shame for the devs at id as it removes some passive word-of-mouth spread that the game could be benefitting from I guess.

Just checked and the game doesn't even show up in my profile's game list even though it's in my library. What the hell is going on?

Someone on a podcast (don't remember which...was it the Jimquisition?) mentioned that they may be swapping out the store page in order to try to counteract any potential review bombing from people who only played the multiplayer betas. Did they try to do that and botch it?

Shame, too, because the game is amazing. I honestly am floored at how fun this is and would recommend starting at Ultra Violence difficulty.

Just made it to hell and the music there is pretty amazing

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So far, I love it. Playing with the Steam Controller on Ultra Violence seems to be working fine so far. I love the jumping and the speed. Just being able to move around so easily is amazing.

ieatzombies

I've found secrets but no secret rooms. Still on the mid level of mars. Fell asleep. But kicked ass! Will try to see if the clip I took uploaded. This game is fucking amazing!

Grady

Started it on nightmare and was getting one shotted, lol. I restarted on ultra violence. Will try nightmare at a later date.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Started it on nightmare and was getting one shotted, lol. I restarted on ultra violence. Will try nightmare at a later date.

Yeah Nightmare/Ultra Nightmare is for replays.

Ultra Violence puts up a decent enough fight. Especially while you're still getting used to the mechanics.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The last rune trial...

Ha. What did it for me was walking away from it. Did it again the next day after having failed twenty times and beat it first try. General tips: Always go for the two small enemies first. Imp, grunt, cacodemon. Replenish ammo while killing them. Then imp, grunt, hell knight. then imp, grunt, pinky. It's the little ones that shoot you in the back.

jblank83

I wonder if someone could make a mod to remove the melee kill animations.

They sort of interrupt and slow down the action, personally. I know some people like them.

Doikor

Just finished my first play trough on nightmare. Took me a bit over 11 hours. The beginning was a bit though. Spent like a good 15 to 20 runs on the first combat bit after the waking up room in the prologue thingie. After that the game felt great. Going to do another run on ultra nightmare and find all the secrets and stuff.

On nightmare it is very much about not getting hit much. Pretty much everything one or two shots you if you don't have armour up. Just stay on the move and keep on collecting hp/ammo from glory kills/gibs.

MP is still boring. It's quiet, hit sounds feel muted often times I die wondering what? And everyone carries a SSG for that quick burst because quick swapping weapons is faster than a full reload so shoot swap shoot swap. Not even a chat window.

Doikor

I wonder if someone could make a mod to remove the melee kill animations.

They sort of interrupt and slow down the action, personally. I know some people like them.

Well you pretty much do need glory kills to keep your hp/ammo up on higher difficulties. There is the rune to make your glory kills faster which makes them feel a bit nicer to use.

edit: Also glory kills can be very strong if you combine them with the faster glory kill, longer glory kill range and earlier stagger on mobs runes.

msv

I think monsters regain health if you don't do a glory kill and don't shoot them. I had one of the big fat monsters take another 3 rockets, one in the staggered state, then two more when he got out of it.

Yeah, I don't think I like the glory kills. It's more fun to just keep shooting. Should have provided a way to disable them completely with the staggered state removed.

ieatzombies

Just finished my first play trough on nightmare. Took me a bit over 11 hours. The beginning was a bit though. Spent like a good 15 to 20 runs on the first combat bit after the waking up room in the prologue thingie. After that the game felt great. Going to do another run on ultra nightmare and find all the secrets and stuff.

On nightmare it is very much about not getting hit much. Pretty much everything one or two shots you if you don't have armour up. Just stay on the move and keep on collecting hp/ammo from glory kills/gibs.
That first bit after, you know and getting to you know. Damn difficulty spike on Nightmare! Just keep going and it gets better.

jblank83

Well you pretty much do need glory kills to keep your hp/ammo up on higher difficulties. There is the rune to make your glory kills faster which makes them feel a bit nicer to use.

Well, you could have them pop out on death at a balanced rate. I'd like to run around shooting things, not stunning things and melee killing them.

Like I said, I know some, maybe most, people like the animations. I find them boring. I just wonder how difficult it would be to mod.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well, you could have them pop out on death at a balanced rate. I'd like to run around shooting things, not stunning things and melee killing them.

Like I said, I know some, maybe most, people like the animations. I find them boring. I just wonder how difficult it would be to mod.

You don't need to use them, and you can turn the highlights off.

Dubz

MP is still boring. It's quiet, hit sounds feel muted often times I die wondering what? And everyone carries a SSG for that quick burst because quick swapping weapons is faster than a full reload so shoot swap shoot swap. Not even a chat window.
Play with Spotify. I started doing that last night and it was amazing. Just search for death metal play lists.

msv

Wasting a ton of ammo on the staggered state is even more annoying than not using glory kills. Also, the staggered state is annoying because it's unpredictable, in when it happens and how long it takes.

Maybe I'm wrong about the damage though, did anyone verify clearly that demon types always take the same amount of damage even when staggered? Seems to vary wildly to me.

Lumine

I started on Ultra Violence, but right away I died twice on that very first imp room. So I restarted one difficulty lower. However 3 levels later and I'm finding it perhaps a little too easy. Guess I should switch back to Ultra Violence?

Anyway, game is pretty good so far. Looks great, runs very well (except for one instance earlier today), plays even better and secrets are actually not too easy to find. I'm not ready to say it's better than Wolfenstein, but it's excellent stuff anyway and I assume I haven't even seen the best stuff.

Granadier

Wasting a ton of ammo on the staggered state is even more annoying than not using glory kills.

Did you read the original argument though? The poster just wants them removed, not replaced with anything.

No reason to remove them if they are entirely voluntary...

After completing the Campaign on PC friday, I decided to double dip and pick up an Xbox One copy just to support the game and replay it completely fresh again but this time on my big 4K display but, yikes, I don't know if it's the resolution hovering well below 1080p most of the time or the AA method but the IQ is insanely blurry.

However, I'm really impressed by how the game plays on a controller. It's smooth as silk on console and translates well to a pad, but the IQ is such a big detractor.

msv

Did you read the original argument though? The poster just wants them removed, not replaced with anything.

I'm assuming the poster was also annoyed by the staggered state stuff when you shoot instead of glory kill.

epmode

I think it could be interesting if the developer included an option to completely remove the glory kill system. The problem with simply removing the graphic effect is that the monsters still go into the staggered state which seems to give them some extra health. Like, it's possible to stagger a monster, wait until the monster goes back to normal and then restagger it, over and over again.

Woorloog

Banned
So, i have 12 weapon upgrade points but no weapons to upgrade... sigh.
I don't mind that there are more ways to gain points than needed but the extra points should have some nice special use or something.

Elsolar

I don't think glory kills are just about looking cool, they affect gameplay and encounter balance because they force you to stay closer to enemies so that you can melee them after they stagger. I haven't tried Nightmare yet but on Ultra Violence I definitely have needed those glory kills to keep my HP up in the more intense fights. It creates an interesting tension with the more powerful enemies, where you wany to keep your distance (because they're fucking dangerous) but you also need to stay close so you can heal. It's a really interesting take on the idea of vampiric health regeneration.

Tangentially related, but as a big fan of the old games, I knew I was falling in love with the new Doom when I started counting out the number of shots it takes different weapons to stagger various enemies. To kill a revenant, for example, all it takes is one shot of the RPG's homing rockets and a good blast from the super shotgun. The shield-bearing possessed soldiers were a huge pain in my ass until I realized that the energy rifle pierces their shields. It's details like those that will keep the game compelling long after most shooters grow stale.

Truant

What's everyones favorite levels? I feel the later levels suffer a bit in providing that big open and interconnected "hub" feeling.

I personally love The Foundry and the first Hell level. They both reminded me of good Shock-style levels.

Granadier

I think it could be interesting if the developer included an option to completely remove the glory kill system. The problem with simply removing the graphic effect is that the monsters still go into the staggered state which seems to give them some extra health. Like, it's possible to stagger a monster, wait until the monster goes back to normal and then restagger it, over and over again.

Monsters only get health back if they are staggered and then recover.

Top Bottom